OFFICIAL PACKERS Thanksgiving day game

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Bogart, I have nothing but respect for you and your posts.
Here we may have to agree to disagree or acknowledge that we each have different perspectives.

Football has changed since the 70's and 80's. Obviously. So I think that is something that we will all have to get used to.
Especially the Detroit Lions and their fans.
It is still a tough and aggressive game while at the same time the NFL is doing all it can with what it has to reduce injuries and to protect the most vulnerable which are the defenseless players such as the QB and the punter.
I'll admit that I am basing my opinion on the Lions being dirty players from the opinions, pictures and videos that Frank Rizzo has been providing on earlier pages.
Especially the ones where the defender is grabbing the QB by the head and throwing him to the ground.
I ask not just for you but for anyone to answer: Is that right? Is that the way aggressive football should be played in 2011?
Tackling by grabbing the head? Or hitting a vulnerable spot such as the knee which results in a season ending injury?
To me, it looks like the Lions are playing old school football that does not belong in the 21st century.
And I would like to think that when it comes to fines, that the NFL looks at it very carefully and is not just handing out fines like Halloween candy.

There are two things I hope for:
1) That Aaron Rodgers will have the best protection possible on every throw or to escape the dirty defender coming for him.
2) That I will not have to come in here after the game and write "See? I told you the Lions are dirty players." based on any injuries to any Packers. Especially Aaron Rodgers.
Matter of fact, I would love to be proven wrong.

Well, you do have a point.

The more this is discussed it just keeps making me more nervous. I'm going to really need a drink before this game.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Classy Packers 38
Dirty Detroit Lions 28

Not a blow out but with a comfortable enough lead to win.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
This most recent version of the Lions really bugs me. Jim Schwartz is a cocky, arrogant toolbag who can dish it out but can't take it. Suh IS the dirtiest player in the NFL right now and his constant denial of doing anything wrong is comical. Ripping quarterbacks around by their helmet and facemasks isn't dirty I guess. Not to be outdone, Matt Stafford decides to take a guy down by his head and is apparently surprised that the guy retaliated.

Plus, they all whine to the media about how unfairly they're being treated.

I want us to knock these guys out and leave no doubt.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The Schedule at my house on thanksgiving is from 9:30 to 12:30 is the game. During which we will be having cocktails and serving h'orderves featuring, Lion Pate, Lion Tail soup, Pickeled Lions feet and baby back Lion ribs.

at 1 we will be serving the main course, **** of Lion, Lion Ham, Lion Spare Ribs made with a special Suh sauce and Stafford stuffing. And for desert Megatron shaped ice cream bars.

Oh yeah and Pumpkin Pie.
Careful with that Lion Pate, eating the liver of a carnivore is bad for you. Killing carnivores doesn't seem to have any ill effects though.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
This Lions team, at this point, comes across to me as a team in its adolescence. They kinda flail around a little, especially with physicality, and it's still to be determined exactly what their character will be. I think that, coming so recently off of 0-16, there's a certain amount of tough-talk and intimidation tactics that might be necessary for the team to develop real belief in itself. I hope that once that belief is firmly established, we can do a better job of being professionals at all times. But I think it may be hard for other fans, particularly fans of such established franchises as the Packers, to understand all that's going in to trying to change the culture and perception of the Detroit Lions. I heard Warren Sapp, in an interview, say that Suh is a young player who's still trying to decide what his personality on the field will be. I think that's a fair assessment of the entire team. But if you'd sat through what we Lions fans have endured for the last 10 years, you might understand how encouraged we are just to watch our team at least hitting back, even if we do throw a few sucker punches. At least we don't just roll over anymore.

The Packers are clearly the class of the field this year, and I agree with Ramage -- I think that you might be able to take four out of five against us. But this is the NFL, and we don't keep score that way. I think you roll us hard the last week of the season at Lambeau, but I also think that there's a chance that you guys are walking into a buzzsaw this week. You may be better, but right now, I'm not sure we care about that. Someone on this forum pointed out that Thanksgiving is our SuperBowl. This year, it's also our chance to make the playoffs. We're all in on this game, and I think we're gonna gut it out.

Thanks for putting up with us visiting. Nice forum you've got here.
Adolescent or not, as rare or as often as it might be, career ending attacks are the act of cowards. I'm surprised at how Lions fans point to their years of poor play as an excuse to arrive on the scene and try to take out opposing players as "flailing" "rare" "unintentional".
You've probably not been watching football long enough to remember the futility of the 70's and 80's as a Packer fan. Either way, the man who's resorted to "sucker punches" to say he's not just rolling over has already given up. That man has lost his dignity. He's admitted he's not good enough to play on the even field of fair play. I get it, the Lions have an inferiority complex and yes, the rest of the NFL knows this - we're just pointing it out to their fans.
I'm thankful for the laugh when you write that the Packers might be walking into a buzzsaw this week. Though I doubt a buzzsaw effect I find it interesting to note that while you apologize for your team's adolescent behavior you voice it in your analysis of the game.
So will Detroit provide the "buzzsaw" or "gut it out" for a win? Time will tell of course but it's obvious you haven't been able to decide as a fan which way you would like to see your team win. At least a "W" is a "W" right Duke?
Thanks for the decidedly nice comment on our forum, too bad you can't ankle tackle this website hey?

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Well, I'm somewhat worried, because I think Detroit is a dirty team that most likely sees taking Rodgers out as clearing a path for themselves beyond tomorrow. (Yeah, I said it.)

As long as we get out of there with no significant injuries, I'll be satisfied. (Happier with a win, of course, but I just don't know what to expect...depends on which Packers show up.) If this is their Super Bowl and they win it, fine. I'd rather go to the real thing.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This most recent version of the Lions really bugs me. Jim Schwartz is a cocky, arrogant toolbag who can dish it out but can't take it. Suh IS the dirtiest player in the NFL right now and his constant denial of doing anything wrong is comical. Ripping quarterbacks around by their helmet and facemasks isn't dirty I guess. Not to be outdone, Matt Stafford decides to take a guy down by his head and is apparently surprised that the guy retaliated.

Plus, they all whine to the media about how unfairly they're being treated.

I want us to knock these guys out and leave no doubt.
Spot. On.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Darn it. Some of you are starting to make me a tad nervous now about dirty play from the Lions LOL.

I still think that the Lions would be absolute morons to get too dirty on Thanksgiving with so many watching the game. There will be hell to pay if they dare take cheap shots in this game of all games....and especially at Aaron.

The Lions need to put on their big boy undies and stop trying to out thug teams.

With that being said....Good Luck Packers. Get the W and stay healthy.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is already a bad taste in Rodgers' mouth from the last thanksgiving game against the Lions and last week.
Look for the same game we have been playing all year.
A-Rod has an absolute beast of a game,
Defense gives up 400+ yards,
But the defense takes the ball away 2-3 times which is the difference maker.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like a cliche, but I think that the outcome of this game will be decided at the line of scrimmage. If the Packer OL can keep the Lions' front 4 off of ARod enough, then expect a huge game from Rodgers. As explosive as the Lions' offense can be, I don't think they'll keep up.

If they get to Rodgers with enough hurries and hits, Lions will probably get the victory. They're hyped for this game. It's their playoffs looking right at them and they're at home.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Dare I say it? I've prepared myself for this thing going either way. It wouldn't mean so much if the 9'ers weren't playing the way they are ... however ... all ESPN hype aside, I'm expecting both teams to put their so-called A-game on display today. The most disciplined team (read: no stupid drive killing penalties AND no turnovers -- both no penalties AND no turnovers) will win this thing. I'm not expecting a shoot-out neither. I'd be willing to bet that Green Bay uncorks a running game right at Suh and Fairly. Like the Vikes a few years back, the only way to neutralize a strong up-the-middle run defense is to run right flippin' at it. So... whomever it was who said "If the O-line plays well, we win" -- is correct, I think.

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 1/2 hours till kick-off. I'm getting rather anxious and nervoud at the same time. IF we should lose this one, I'll be a little disappointed but certainly not down. I'll just have to hope that the 49ers lose another one along the way (Pittsburgh?). I hope more than anything that we come out of this one with no major injuries. All this talk of the Lions dirty tactics makes me a little uneasy. Hoping for a great and entertaining game with the Packers coming out on tope 37-34 with Rodgers leading a lte game drive down field throwing a a game winning TD.

The beer's on ice and the turkey is in the oven. Hopefully I'll stay sober enough to carve the turkey without losing any fingers in the process!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
There's no reason why either of these teams shouldn't be able to win against the other. However, I give the team with Aaron Rodgers the edge. 31-28 Packers.

c33j44y

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling A-Rod is going to make Ford Field his playground (inside a dome away from all the elements), this has the making of the NFC Playoff game last season against the Falcons. All dirty tactics aside, no one expected the Packers to come out on top and Aaron Rodgers completely lit their defense up.

I'm just disappointed this game didn't get a prime-time slot. 12:30 seems too early on Turkey Day for such an epic match-up.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Careful with that Lion Pate, eating the liver of a carnivore is bad for you. Killing carnivores doesn't seem to have any ill effects though.
My wife is a member of PETA (I know all you hunters "People That Eat Animals"). And normally I would condem the killing of a Lion. But since this Lion is obviously a rouge and is a threat to the health and well being of Packer Nation I say

DEATH TO THE BEAST!!!!!

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Thought he was reserving that for rushing TD's. Are you saying that Rodgers will rush for 4 TD's?

Members online

Latest posts