OFFICIAL PACKERS Thanksgiving day game

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if I follow... are you basically saying that I shouldn't look at this forum then I wouldn't know that Packers fans think the Lions are dirty? If that's what you are saying, you're not addressing my complaint at all. My complaint is that you said:

I pointed out three times when I said the plays in question were not acceptable, ie, dirty plays. Another Lions poster said even more than that in my opinion. You assertion here is wrong. Whether I should or shouldn't be here makes no difference that the Lions fans who are here are NOT all acting like you are saying they are.

Honestly, I do don't give a whole lot of credit to the "dirty" player or "dirty" team whenever I hear it. I think most off it's just a couple of sensationalized incidents that one could find happening on ANY team during a given season. So no, I wouldn't be nervous if people accused the Packers of being dirty players.
I don't think there can be any middle ground here.
We each love our teams and are going to defend them with all of our passion.
You and the other Lions fans that are here seem to claim that things regarding Lions dirty play are being blown way out of proportion.
Maybe, just maybe I am being unfair or biased since I have not seen a Lions game.
The so called dirty plays could be a rare thing.
But if a team wants to have a reputation of playing aggressive vs dirty, then they shouldn't be getting penalties and fines after so many certain hits.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't think the Lions a dirty team, and I think they get a lot of flak just for being physically aggressive, which should be something that every fan should want their defense to be like.

Some of the greatest Super Bowl defenses from decades ago would be called "dirty" today thanks to the rules that favor the offense, that's something to remember. If this Lions defense played in the 1970's or 1980's, they wouldn't be getting any flak at all for being physical, cause back then it didn't matter.

I have to say I do think the Lions got wronged for all those fines in the Bears game. They fine Suh and Nick Fairly for pounding on Cutler, but no fines for Peppers or anyone else. Which in today's league if you get hit too ******* a sack and you're a quarterback, all you have to do is whine like a ***** (Jay Cutler, Michael Vick, Mark Sanchez), and you will get pampered with flags. (Even without that, I see it many times there's flags everywhere just over touching the quarterback. Think back to the NFC Championship in 2009, and many of those penalties against the Saints for roughing up Favre kept those drives alive for Minnesota.)

If I call the Lions a dirty team for being aggressive and physical to the quarterback, I would have to also call Minnesota that for Jared Allen, and Chicago for Peppers, and Pittsburgh for their constant aggressiveness, and the Saints after they successfully gave injuries to two quarterbacks in their Super Bowl run of the 2009 Playoffs.

They aren't a dirty team, just physical, and it's going to be a challenge for Rodgers and our offense.

CM3ismyhomeboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Delmas may be the exception. I dont see anything overly diry about Suh. Defensive players, especially those in the secondary, are being flagged for textbook hits that were encouraged and applauded2-3 years ago. You might as well put a flag on the QB and eliminate QB contact altogether. Remember the hit Clay put on Ponder and was flagged for? Crap like that is ruining the game. There is more to the game than big offensive numbers.

My points are that the hit Clay had on Ponder was completely a textbook hit, was vicious and forceful, all the things football should be in the context of the sport, and its embarrassing they are flagging for such ridiculously soft crap. I am no fairy boy, I love hard-nosed, physical football just as much as the next guy. The problem is I feel that guys like Suh are going to ruin whatever physicality is left because of the types of things he and Delmas have shown to do. Am I saying that he tries to rip everyone's head off like Delhomme's etc all the time? Course not, he plays relentless, physical football that is to be admired. The problem is that he has shown a tendency to cross the line into what is not cool, and there is no knowing when the bad side is going to come out. Leading the NFL in personal foul penalties since he's been in the league sort of speaks to that regard. That all being said, I hope for a hard-fought clean game. I am glad the Lions have become a respectable football team again, so I won't feel bad at all when we stomp.

GO PACK GO

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Lions a dirty team, and I think they get a lot of flak just for being physically aggressive, which should be something that every fan should want their defense to be like.

Some of the greatest Super Bowl defenses from decades ago would be called "dirty" today thanks to the rules that favor the offense, that's something to remember. If this Lions defense played in the 1970's or 1980's, they wouldn't be getting any flak at all for being physical, cause back then it didn't matter.

I have to say I do think the Lions got wronged for all those fines in the Bears game. They fine Suh and Nick Fairly for pounding on Cutler, but no fines for Peppers or anyone else. Which in today's league if you get hit too ******* a sack and you're a quarterback, all you have to do is whine like a ***** (Jay Cutler, Michael Vick, Mark Sanchez), and you will get pampered with flags. (Even without that, I see it many times there's flags everywhere just over touching the quarterback. Think back to the NFC Championship in 2009, and many of those penalties against the Saints for roughing up Favre kept those drives alive for Minnesota.)

If I call the Lions a dirty team for being aggressive and physical to the quarterback, I would have to also call Minnesota that for Jared Allen, and Chicago for Peppers, and Pittsburgh for their constant aggressiveness, and the Saints after they successfully gave injuries to two quarterbacks in their Super Bowl run of the 2009 Playoffs.

They aren't a dirty team, just physical, and it's going to be a challenge for Rodgers and our offense.
Bogart, I have nothing but respect for you and your posts.
Here we may have to agree to disagree or acknowledge that we each have different perspectives.

Football has changed since the 70's and 80's. Obviously. So I think that is something that we will all have to get used to.
Especially the Detroit Lions and their fans.
It is still a tough and aggressive game while at the same time the NFL is doing all it can with what it has to reduce injuries and to protect the most vulnerable which are the defenseless players such as the QB and the punter.
I'll admit that I am basing my opinion on the Lions being dirty players from the opinions, pictures and videos that Frank Rizzo has been providing on earlier pages.
Especially the ones where the defender is grabbing the QB by the head and throwing him to the ground.
I ask not just for you but for anyone to answer: Is that right? Is that the way aggressive football should be played in 2011?
Tackling by grabbing the head? Or hitting a vulnerable spot such as the knee which results in a season ending injury?
To me, it looks like the Lions are playing old school football that does not belong in the 21st century.
And I would like to think that when it comes to fines, that the NFL looks at it very carefully and is not just handing out fines like Halloween candy.

There are two things I hope for:
1) That Aaron Rodgers will have the best protection possible on every throw or to escape the dirty defender coming for him.
2) That I will not have to come in here after the game and write "See? I told you the Lions are dirty players." based on any injuries to any Packers. Especially Aaron Rodgers.
Matter of fact, I would love to be proven wrong.

DukeCityRadical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you weren't here in the first place then you wouldn't know posts like mine accusing the Lions of dirty play exist and you wouldn't get all upset about it.
I don't go over to Lions boards to see what they are writing about the Packers and I'm not going to.
Ignorance is bliss.
If the shoe was on the other foot and the Packers were the ones accused of dirty play, wouldn't you be nervous for your quarterback too?

Umm, we're nervous for our qb while he's standing on the sideline before the game, thanks. Hell, we're Lions fans -- we're nervous for him while he's on his front lawn mowing his grass (Detroit joke/reference. In bad taste, but funny in this context.) There's nothing about this game that doesn't have me nervous, but also excited. It's Thanksgiving, and we're still playing for something!!

TA63

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So your OK with players trying to intentionally hurt each other and you like it?
I mean, based on your post you would have no problem with Aaron being taken out after a hard hit and just proclaiming, "Oh well, that's football for ya!"
Frankly, I'm all for the new penalties and fines. They should do whatever it takes to reduce injuries.

If Rodgers goes out injured because of a hard, LEGAL hit, so be it. Same for any other player on the field. They are grown men making millions playing an impact sport, and injuries are a part of it. Punishing players for hard hits and agressive play is pathetic. Your support of the ridiculous penalties instituted in the last year or two show just how far this sport has fallen.

TA63

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Professional football is a dynamic sport, happening at incredible speed. Its impossible to eliminate all helmet to helmet contact, and its not fair to flag defensive players when it happens inadverdently. Answer this for me. Why is an offensive player allowed to lower his head and utilize the helmet as a weapon?

DukeCityRadical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I absolutely have no knowledge of what it's like to be a Lions fan, I can see why most Lions fans would love to see their team beat Green Bay. From 2000 to 2009, DET has a record of 3-17 (a winning percentage of just .150) against GB, including 1-4 on Thanksgiving games (The last time they won on Thanksgiving was in 2003, a 22-14 victory). The only feeling I have that only remotely resembles that was the times when GB couldn't beat DAL at all in the 90s (I think GB only one once, in Lambeau Field. All others have been losses, most of them playoff losses). Of course it would feel nice to "stick it" to the football team that had your number for a good deal of time, especially in primetime.

What was your reaction to DET beating GB 7-3 in Ford Field? Were you hopeful that it would revitalize a (really underrated, I believe) rivalry between the two that has lasted since 1934?

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. On paper, the Packers can beat the Lions in a shootout (like around 45-35 or 41-38), but then there's the intangibles like the following:
  • It's taking place at Ford Field, one of the loudest stadiums in football.
  • The fans, filled with years-old hatred for GB, will cheer their lungs out. This will cause several false starts by GB.
  • There are playoff chances on the line.
  • It's a divisional game. Both GB and DET know each other.
  • They've just came off an emotional win against Carolina, while Green Bay served up a dud against the Bucs, even though they won.
  • This is Detroit's biggest game in decades. They're going to give Green Bay everything they've got.

You guys are great and all, but honestly, when we beat you last year, we were coming off of a 2-14 season, preceded by an 0-16 season. Everyone, at that point, had our number. And since the game was largely played between backup QBs (our 3rd stringer and your 2nd), the rivalry was the last thing on my mind. My reaction was relief -- we (by and large) believe that we've finally got a coach and a front office that know what they're doing. All I wanted last year was for us to show enough promise, and seem to be improving, so that Schwartz and Mayhew (our GM) could stick around to continue to build on what they'd started. Beating the Pack started us on a roll that we're still largely on, but of course there was no way of knowing that at the time. Back then, it was a win, and they were all sweet, no matter who we beat, or what the circumstances.

I wasn't kidding myself, either, about us being on par with you back then. We've closed the gap quite a bit, but props to the Pack -- you guys may have the best team I've ever seen. And the fact that I think we can hang with you tomorrow is more than I've been able to say about my team since before Barry retired.

It's funny to me that you guys thought of that game as a divisional game against a former rival. We haven't had the luxury to classify games that way in years. Every game has just been another opportunity for public humiliation, leading to excessive alcohol abuse and possible violence against small, domesticated animals (joking, joking...)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm getting sick and tired of the back and forth over the Lions dirty play with the Lions fans.
So I love the ignore feature!

Looks so much better with just seeing and chatting only with my fellow Packers fans and friends.

One more thing: Lions have the reputation of being dirty players.
If they weren't, they wouldn't be getting fines and penalties.
Get used to it.

RedRamage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) That Aaron Rodgers will have the best protection possible on every throw or to escape the dirty defender coming for him.
2) That I will not have to come in here after the game and write "See? I told you the Lions are dirty players." based on any injuries to any Packers. Especially Aaron Rodgers.
Matter of fact, I would love to be proven wrong.
I get the feeling that dirty or not, you'll be back here saying "See? I told you the Lions are dirty players."

TA63

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the feeling that dirty or not, you'll be back here saying "See? I told you the Lions are dirty players."

Everyone loves a hard hit, as long as its not on their team. I ref HS football, and see it constantly. Hard hit by the home team, nothing but cheers. One of their kids gets lit up, they want my head for not throwing a flag. When I played HS and College ball, that was our objective as defensive players. Its not about trying to hurt someone. Its about imposing your will on the opposing team, to demoralize them. Its pretty hard to stand in the pocket and make accurate throws after you have been hammered a couple times. All of this is going by the wayside in favor of high flying offensive attacks.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Heres a textbook hit by Lance Briggs, penalized of course.

DukeCityRadical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone loves a hard hit, as long as its not on their team. I ref HS football, and see it constantly. Hard hit by the home team, nothing but cheers. One of their kids gets lit up, they want my head for not throwing a flag. When I played HS and College ball, that was our objective as defensive players. Its not about trying to hurt someone. Its about imposing your will on the opposing team, to demoralize them. Its pretty hard to stand in the pocket and make accurate throws after you have been hammered a couple times. All of this is going by the wayside in favor of high flying offensive attacks.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Heres a textbook hit by Lance Briggs, penalized of course.

The hit by Briggs was perfect. Honestly, I think the flags are more the issue this year than "dirty teams", partly because they're taking some of the sting out of the label. If you're gonna get flagged for it anyway, why not really do it? (I'm not advocating for dirty play with that point, but for reasonable officiating.) Last week the refs gave us a gift by calling a late hit against the Panthers on Stafford while he was scrambling, and was in the process of crossing the outside boundary. The they took it back later in the game with the same type of call going against us. The stuff that I've seen Detroit doing that I don't like is the extra curricular, stupid stuff, especially after the whistle. The plays that cross the line while the game's being played at full speed are currently our cost of doing business the way we want, much in the same way that we don't sweat a few neutral zone infractions if it helps us get off the ball quicker all game. But what I don't like in my team is the tendency to talk/act tough after the fact. It's pointless and embarrassing.

Hope we play each other clean and hard tomorrow, plenty of big hits and no injuries. And, of course, hope we edge you a the end!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
If the ***** didn't beat Tampa last year ... the Pack wouldn't have made the playoffs. So... thanks for that...now, just lose tomorrow and everything will be ok with me. ;)

Ok now... defend Suh and Fairly as being 'aggressive', that's fine that is what I'd do if they played for the Pack. As a Packers fan, I'd say that those two bozos play "aggressive" if that's the terminology...that the Pack's offensive line play aggressive as well...there is NOTHING more 'aggressive' in an offensive lineman's arsenal than a chop block. These guys aren't going to get the drift until someone turns the tables on THEM.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya know, I think I'd be angry too if I had a weird name like that and be taking my aggressions out with dirty play against other players.
N-Damn-You-Kong, Sir!
Or is it:
Dama-lama-ding-****?
:p

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always fun to do these and then look back and see how close you got. I am one of the very few that think the packers are going to win somewhat comfortably.

My final score prediction is:

27-14 Packers Win

c33j44y

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers 45 Lions 21

No way we're losing this game .. on Thanksgiving .. at Ford Field when we can embarrass the Lions on a national stage.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I hope for a blow out.

I'm actually dreading this game. I have to deal with my brother in law over at my parents, and his smart mouth is already enough from a know it all that thinks he is a genius, but he's also a Steelers fan and while I'll be trying to watch this game, I can already hear his yapping. Will be trying to leave early so I can watch the game comfortably at my girl friend's house, and if they win we can have a shot after game like we have been doing when the Saints win lol.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PacKers 34. Lions 17

I had it Lions 10, but i have my doubts that our defense holds DET to just one touchdown.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
about Mercury Morris, Santa, Andrew Luck, etc. There should be talk on how the OL needs to be the biggest reason why the Packers will win. STOP IT!

This is a good point, I think Aaron Rodgers quick release will help negate some of the pass rush but the offensive line has to really step it up.

Members online

Latest posts