OFFICIAL PACKERS Thanksgiving day game

RedRamage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Despite being from Green Bay, I've always had a soft spot for the Lions. Call it a character flaw).

For what it's worth, the Packers are my "least hated" of NFC North teams.

I think it's because I've never felt the Lions were on the same level as the Packers while I've been a fan. Losses to the Packer hurt, but not the same as losses to the Bears or the Vikings. I felt we should have beaten those teams. Rarely did I feel like we should have beaten the Packers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In some ways I get a little sick of the reputation that the Lions DL, and team, has gotten. They don't play dirty. They are tough and they get their occasional penalties, but so does every other team. Some how they've gotten this reputation and then every thing gets put under a microscope.
As I have said, Lions safety Louis Delmas is their dirtiest player, by far. Suh is mean. Avril is a bit cheap. Rookie Nick Fairley is also a cheap shot artist, which I saw when he was at Auburn.
The Packers OL must play a good game. They must win their matchups and not miss any assignments that leave a free monster to hammer Aaron.

3 video previews of this game up here> http://www.packersnetwork.com/
And don't forget to take-21 and rewatch that Super Bowl XLV thing! Still brings fricking goosebumps to me, even though Aguilera messes up the words!

RedRamage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Former top pick Kevin Smith just ripped off about 150 yards and a pair of TDs Sunday. The interesting thing about him is that he was the All-American at Central Florida whom the Packers were scouting. That's when they accidentally were impressed with no-name OG there, Joshua Sitton.
For what it's worth, Smith looked really good. He appears to have lost some weight and was running really well. I thought he did a decent job as backup to Best in previously, so I was a little surprised that he was cut. Glad to see him back and see him have a career day.

That said, Carolina is supposed to have a really bad run defense and the Lions have not been good running at all this year. I don't expect them to run well against Green Bay. Hopefully good enough to keep the pressure off Stafford, but the ground game will not be where the big threat comes from.

Smith was a fine rookie, but injuries after injuries derailed him. So they used high picks in back-to-back years on Jahvid Best, and then this year in potential superstar Mikel LeShoure. LeShoure tore a knee in preseason and ended his season before it could begin. Best has looked great at times, but he's out still with lingering concussion effects.
LeShoure was a huge blow to the Lions running game. There were some fans who expected him to be the starter and Best the backup. I didn't, but after watching Best for a while this year, I'm thinking that they might have been right.

Best has explosive speed. In the open field he can run around defenders and get big gains. But his problem is getting to the open field. First, our OL ain't great at opening those holes. Second, Best is not great at making good decisions. He dances a little too much in the back field and doesn't hit holes hard. Plus he's smallish and tends to be easy to tackle. Add on repeated concussion issues now and I think he's gonna end up being a bust for us. :(

RedRamage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I have said, Lions safety Louis Delmas is their dirtiest player, by far. Suh is mean. Avril is a bit cheap. Rookie Nick Fairley is also a cheap shot artist, which I saw when he was at Auburn.
The Packers OL must play a good game. They must win their matchups and not miss any assignments that leave a free monster to hammer Aaron.
Just out of curiosity, why do you say that Delmas is dirty? And why do you say that Avril is cheap? I don't recall anything out of the ordinary in the past with either player. I'm sure there was a play or two that was bad, but I think that happens with any player at some point. (Maybe I'm just glossing over the plays with my 'homer' glasses on though...)

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In some ways I get a little sick of the reputation that the Lions DL, and team, has gotten. They don't play dirty. They are tough and they get their occasional penalties, but so does every other team. Some how they've gotten this reputation and then every thing gets put under a microscope. The Carolina game is a perfect example:

Carolina gets a horse collar penalty. Color commentary guy: "Can't do that... that's another 15 yards for the Lions. Dumb penalty there."

Later in the game, the Lions get a horse collar penalty. Color commentary guy: "Now this is showing the Lions lack of discipline. That lack of discipline will hurt your team if you can't reel it in."

You know, I agree with you to an extent. I don't know if I'd say they're dirty, but you have to admit they walk that fine line between tackling and hitting HARD and delivering cheap shots. Take for instance Suh's hit on Cutler a couple of weeks ago (didn't see any of the panthers/lions game). The play where Suh ripped off Cutler's helmet when tackling him. Cutler was running so he's fair game as a running back and the tackle was legit, but i thought the little extra helmet rip at the end was excessive. When the Lions make sacks or hits on the QB they hit them hard (fine) but a lot of times there's that little extra "drive them into the ground" move afterward. I feel like there's kindof an unspoken rule that, "you hit hard but try not to injure". And I get the feeling from the lions that they don't go out of their way to injure players, but they don't try to avoid injuring players either.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why do you say that Delmas is dirty? And why do you say that Avril is cheap? I don't recall anything out of the ordinary in the past with either player. I'm sure there was a play or two that was bad, but I think that happens with any player at some point. (Maybe I'm just glossing over the plays with my 'homer' glasses on though...)
I just posted the video from the 2009 Thanksgiving game where the Packers whipped the Lions here> www.PackersNetwork.com and it shows a cheap helmet to head shot Delmas put on Finley that he was fined for. The ball was well past Finley, and Delmas could have easily laid up. But he took the free shot to try and KO Finley.

But that's not the one(s) that **** me off. It's his cheap shots to the knees.
I am 90% sure he is the one who hit Finley in the knee, a defenseless play where J-Mike caught one in the flat and turned to run, when at the same time, the defender had a free shot at him.... could have nailed him up high, in the numbers, at the waist, etc. but he dove into the side of the knee. Finley was hurt and missed a few games. Could have been worse had his foot not just left the ground..... which was the case with the Falcons fullback Ovie Mughati or whtever his name is, last month.

Again, Delmas had a free shot on a player catching one in the flat with his back to the defense, ready to turn and run. What did Delmas do? He dove his helmet/shoulder low into the receivers knee. What happened? Torn ACL plus more damage, season over.

Delmas doesn't give a schit about injuring other players. He thinks that's tough, that's gangsta. In my book, he's a p*ssy, a thug, and I'd pay money to have the Packers 53rd man on the team go out there and crossblock Delmas in the front of the knee when he's not looking. Not for real, but payback is warranted somehow. I don't like cheap shots because there are enough guys hurt normally.... you can't have cheap shots like low blows to knees, or horse collars.

Suh throwing people to the ground, not a big deal to me compared to the cheap shots to knees Delmas has done at least 2 times that I can recall..... and I'm probably missing plenty as I don't watch the Lions all the time.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I agree with you to an extent. I don't know if I'd say they're dirty, but you have to admit they walk that fine line between tackling and hitting HARD and delivering cheap shots. Take for instance Suh's hit on Cutler a couple of weeks ago (didn't see any of the panthers/lions game). The play where Suh ripped off Cutler's helmet when tackling him. Cutler was running so he's fair game as a running back and the tackle was legit, but i thought the little extra helmet rip at the end was excessive. When the Lions make sacks or hits on the QB they hit them hard (fine) but a lot of times there's that little extra "drive them into the ground" move afterward. I feel like there's kindof an unspoken rule that, "you hit hard but try not to injure". And I get the feeling from the lions that they don't go out of their way to injure players, but they don't try to avoid injuring players either.
Suh does stuff like that any chance he can.
We all remember the ones on Cutler. But don't forget these, both of which he did this after they'd already thrown the ball:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This was his hit on Cutler this season:

This was his one on Cutler last season, which shouldn't have been a penalty. But he's earned the bad rep already and deserves to be on a MUCH shorter leash now.

RedRamage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just posted the video from the 2009 Thanksgiving game where the Packers whipped the Lions here> www.PackersNetwork.com and it shows a cheap helmet to head shot Delmas put on Finley that he was fined for. The ball was well past Finley, and Delmas could have easily laid up. But he took the free shot to try and KO Finley.

I don't think that Delmas was attempting to do a helmet to helmet hit there. This is one major problem I have with many of the flag that are throw against defense... the defender can't predict what the offensive player will do. What looks to be a clean hit (Suh going to grab Cutler's torso) suddenly looks like a cheap shot at the helmet because the ball carrier drops right before the hit. Having said that, Delmas clearly is launching himself at Finley there. Whether he was attempting to do a helmet to helmet hit or not, he launched himself with the intent to hitting Finley hard, rather than trying to wrap him up. Stupid play, he shouldn't have done it. Even if he wasn't intending a helmet to helmet hit, the way he went after Finley definitely lead to the possibility of it happening. Delmas' fault, intended or not.

Suh throwing people to the ground, not a big deal to me compared to the cheap shots to knees Delmas has done at least 2 times that I can recall..... and I'm probably missing plenty as I don't watch the Lions all the time.
I haven't noticed knee shots from Delmas... but I also haven't been watching for them. I'll keep my eyes open from now on and see if I notice anything.

RedRamage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Suh does stuff like that any chance he can.
Bull crap. If he did, there would be a LOT more evidence for it because he's had plenty of opportunities.

RE: Dalton hit: I think this one looks a LOT worse than it really was. Suh had him by the upper body. Suh didn't know the pass was out and slam him to the ground. The helmet popped off because of the way Suh tackled him, not because Suh tried to pull off the helmet. Now, put yourself in Suh's position here: How should he have tackled Dalton? The alternative to wrestling him down is to fall on top of him. But isn't that "slamming" him into the ground then? I think this just looks really bad when it was only kinda bad.

RE: Jack Delhomme: No defense there what so ever. He was wrong to do it. Bad play.

RE: Cutler, 2011: I have no problem with this play at all. Suh was going for a perfectly legal, upper torso hit. At the last minute Cutler starting dropping down. Suh wasn't grabbing for his head, wasn't trying to do anything dirty. It just happened. I get the flag, I understand we're protecting the QB, but I have no problem with the play and would have no problem if a defender who did that to Stafford.

RE: Cutler, 2010: I have no problem with this play... or the flag. In real time the play looks REALLY bad. It definitely looked like a forearm to the head and if that's what it was, it was definitely a flag. Of course, replay show Suh just pushed him, which is perfectly legal and completely not dirty. The ref didn't see that, and I can't blame the ref for not seeing it because I didn't either until the replay.

RE: Texas Horsecollar: You missed on that is often trotted out against Suh too. He had a vicious 'horsecollar' penalty against Dallas in 2010 (I think) as well. Of course, it wasn't a horsecollar. Suh just pulled the hair of the defender. A legal, and not dirty play. This one I do blame the refs for not seeing. It was pretty obvious in my opinion that Suh's hand was at least half way down the defenders back.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that Delmas was attempting to do a helmet to helmet hit there. This is one major problem I have with many of the flag that are throw against defense... the defender can't predict what the offensive player will do. What looks to be a clean hit (Suh going to grab Cutler's torso) suddenly looks like a cheap shot at the helmet because the ball carrier drops right before the hit. Having said that, Delmas clearly is launching himself at Finley there. Whether he was attempting to do a helmet to helmet hit or not, he launched himself with the intent to hitting Finley hard, rather than trying to wrap him up. Stupid play, he shouldn't have done it. Even if he wasn't intending a helmet to helmet hit, the way he went after Finley definitely lead to the possibility of it happening. Delmas' fault, intended or not.

I haven't noticed knee shots from Delmas... but I also haven't been watching for them. I'll keep my eyes open from now on and see if I notice anything.
Try and find the play where he ended Ovie Mughelli's season, last month. I think it was a torn MCL, not ACL, surprisingly.
Someone else did the same cheap tackle in week 1 or 2 this season on Jordan Shipley, ending his season.
I believe the hit on Willis McGahee in the NCAA title game, from Ohio State, was also cheap-dirty-cowardly. I hate DBs diving their heads, shoulders into players knees like that! I will eventually contact the NFL about these, as I did about the horse-collar 5-6 years ago!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7149439/ovie-mughelli-atlanta-falcons-season-knee-injury
Ovie Mughelli out for season

ATLANTA -- Falcons fullback Ovie Mughelli's season is over.
The Falcons placed Mughelli on injured reserve on Tuesday. Mughelli, a 2010 Pro Bowl selection, hurt his right knee in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 23-16 win at Detroit. He suffered the injury when hit low by Lions defensive back Louis Delmas.

Lions safety Louis Delmas nails the Falcons' Ovie Mughelli in the knee in Atlanta's win last Sunday. Mughelli suffered a season-ending knee injury. / JULIAN H. GONZALEZ/Detroit Free Press

< I can't stand this guy!

RedRamage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm.... still pictures can be misleading. They don't show the action that lead up the moment captured on film. But that doesn't look good at all. I'd really like to see the video... but based on just this picture, the play certainly does not look like a good clean hit.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/starks-jennings-take-part-in-practice
Both running back James Starks and wide receiver Greg Jennings participated in today's practice, though they appeared limited. Both took part in individual drills. The team portion of practice was closed to the media.
Meanwhile, offensive tackle Marshall Newhouse, outside linebacker Clay Matthews, offensive guard Josh Sitton and outside linebacker Frank Zombo, who all appeared on Monday's approximated injury report, were seemingly full participants.
And one interesting note from Lions practice today - Detroit's star wide receiver Calvin Johnson left the practice field with a trainer, reportedly to deal with a nagging ankle injury. Johnson did return to observe practice.
Obviously, this bears monitoring.

CM3ismyhomeboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm.... still pictures can be misleading. They don't show the action that lead up the moment captured on film. But that doesn't look good at all. I'd really like to see the video... but based on just this picture, the play certainly does not look like a good clean hit.

LOL @ you still defending Suh or Delmas...I mean come on man take the blue and silver shades off, Rizzo has given you clear evidence! He even showed you the negative effect that occurs when the player (Suh) has lost credibility in the eyes of officials, now getting penalties for plays that aren't even dirty. He has brought the short leash on himself. Which made it even more laughable that he went crying to the commissioner earlier in the year. He knows exactly what he's doing, and you have to be an idiot to not understand that you can't try to rip a quarterback's head off his body and have everyone think you are just doing your job. Unless, of course, he's just an idiot. I only fear two things in this game, Calvin Johnson going off and Suh murdering Aaron Rodgers via detaching his head from his body. I can't even get started on Delmas and ending Mughelli's season.

RedRamage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL @ you still defending Suh or Delmas...I mean come on man take the blue and silver shades off, Rizzo has given you clear evidence!

I don't think my shades are that dark:

Even if he wasn't intending a helmet to helmet hit, the way he went after Finley definitely lead to the possibility of it happening. Delmas' fault, intended or not.

...but based on just this picture, the play (Delmas' hit) certainly does not look like a good clean hit.

RE: (Suh's "take down" of) Jack Delhomme: No defense there what so ever. He was wrong to do it. Bad play.

I try to be fair... I'm sure I'm not 100% fair, I am a fan after all. But I don't try to dismiss something that my team did while railing against something the opposing team did. There have been plenty of times where I've really questioned calls on the opposing teams defense that I felt were ticky-tacky. Of course, unless you've been in my den during a game you probably never heard me comment about them. For what it's worth, I think the rules have been so stacked against the defense int he NFL for a while now... you can't even look funny at a QB without drawing a flag. And now all this stuff about a defenseless receiver coming in... How long until receivers are going to be able to signal fair catch on passes? How long until running back are going to be allowed to slide like QBs to avoid taking hits?

He even showed you the negative effect that occurs when the player (Suh) has lost credibility in the eyes of officials, now getting penalties for plays that aren't even dirty. He has brought the short leash on himself.

Do me a favor... if I'm being too blinded by my Lions shades, look at where I went point-by-point on the examples of Suh above and tell me your opinion. Really look at the video and don't assume that Suh is guilty of playing dirty unless you really see it. I understand why some of these were called penalties, but I don't see malicious intent to harm in most of them.

I can't even get started on Delmas and ending Mughelli's season.

Do you have video of it? I honestly don't remember the play. I would like to see it.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, the only thing I'm worried about for this game is any playmakers being injured, especially Rodgers. He suffered from a concussion last time they faced them, and we had to resort to Flynn for the NE game. We lost, but just barely (31-27), and I believe we would've beaten them (and possibly won the division) if Rodgers played that game. I don't want any dirty hits on Rodgers (or anybody for that matter) that could take him out for a long period of time. If he does get injured, that jeopardizes everything the Packers have planned for. They can kiss the #1 seed goodbye (and maybe the #2 seed) and the SB repeat if he's out for the playoffs.

Other than that, I want to see the Packers win, but I'd be fine with a loss. Why? Well, even if we lose, we'd be 10-1. The Giants are looking very beatable, I wouldn't count on either the Raiders or the Chiefs to survive a shootout with us, and I'm sure the Packers will be much improved (including the defense if Neal comes back, which I'm sure he will) when they finish the season at home against the Bears and Lions. That'd be a 15-1 finish, and 13-3 would be the worst case scenario for me. 13-3 would secure a #2 seed, at least.

CM3ismyhomeboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think my shades are that dark:

I try to be fair... I'm sure I'm not 100% fair, I am a fan after all. But I don't try to dismiss something that my team did while railing against something the opposing team did. There have been plenty of times where I've really questioned calls on the opposing teams defense that I felt were ticky-tacky. Of course, unless you've been in my den during a game you probably never heard me comment about them. For what it's worth, I think the rules have been so stacked against the defense int he NFL for a while now... you can't even look funny at a QB without drawing a flag. And now all this stuff about a defenseless receiver coming in... How long until receivers are going to be able to signal fair catch on passes? How long until running back are going to be allowed to slide like QBs to avoid taking hits?

Do me a favor... if I'm being too blinded by my Lions shades, look at where I went point-by-point on the examples of Suh above and tell me your opinion. Really look at the video and don't assume that Suh is guilty of playing dirty unless you really see it. I understand why some of these were called penalties, but I don't see malicious intent to harm in most of them.

Do you have video of it? I honestly don't remember the play. I would like to see it.

Look, I'll be the first to admit that no fan of any team can always be 100% unbiased, I'm not accusing you of being a terrible Lions fan I just think when it comes to the evidence presented you have to admit that there are things Suh does on the football field that are inexcusable, he has a tendency to take things out of the realm of what's okay (If BJ Raji grabs Stafford's head and twists it in a way that causes irreparable harm not just to his playing career but to his quality of life, you would call for all hell to come down on him or at least you should). I'm all for playing through the whistle, but there is a difference between maintaining a physical edge and doing things that are blatantly dangerous. When he is locked in and it is about FOOTBALL, he's a dominating player and a top 5 defensive linemen, not just tackle. However, he like James Harrison have shown a tendency to forget that though it may be a violent sport, lives are still at stake. I sure as hell wouldn't want a serious, life-altering injury on my conscience if its something that is AVOIDABLE (full speed, bang-bang plays in the middle of the field are NOT avoidable generally speaking and of course is where I agree that the game and Goodell are making horrible mistakes in their fines, rule-changes, etc). You say you don't see intent to harm in most of them. Uh...should you see it in any of them?

I can't find video of the play, but if I remember correctly it was an unnecessary undercut on Mughelli's knees who wasn't facing the play. I cold be wrong though. I know a friend of mine that is a Falcons fan was pretty bummed out by it. I see guys like Ray Lewis make violent, clean hits all the time that still have the wow factor without having to go unnecessarily low or high, but I may be wrong...

By the way, I feel guys like Suh are partly to blame for why they keep slanting the rules so much in the offenses favor. However, I think they eventually will come up with some things to balance the game out again for defense. After all, its not like their is an astonishing number of great quarterbacking going on in the NFL anyway. Look at the interception numbers, sack numbers, etc. Defenses are still able to greatly influence the game

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe me, the photo is way more gentle-appearing than the actual hit was. It might be on youtube, probably not because the FB was not a big name.
Look, I liked Delmas as a prospect, but seeing hits like this, he's going to start getting suspended for it.... or worse.

HERE IT IS!!!
It could have been a torn ACL, MCL, and broken leg. Hits like this deserve season-long suspensions for the first offense, and permanent bans for a second one. This hit was exactly as I described it was..... he had a FREE blind shot on the defenseless carrier, could have drilled him in the backside anywhere, but he went low at his knee.... not by accident, not falling, not being blocked into him.
These are 100x worse than what Suh did to Cutler. And like I said, Delmas had done this before... he tried to take out Finley's knee like this too.

It didn't end up as horrific as the cheap shot the Ohio State thug put on Miami's Willis McGahee in the Fiesta Bowl, but it could have.
Who teaches guys to hit at the knee like this & Delmas do??
That's why I want players to go back to leather helmets... I guarantee they stop leading with their heads like they do now as weapons with those rock hard shells.

Barrysghost

Un-catchable
Reaction score
Crying "the Lions are a dirty team" over and over is a Bear schtick. I thought Green Bay was above that. Besides, it's not going to win you the game complaining about how they throw cheap shots either. This argument is so full of semantics it is completely pointless. "Oh, what about that one hit, in that one game last year on that one guy?" Gimme a break. I think these other NFC teams (mainly their fans) are just upset that Detroit has an alright team for a change, and that they can't automatically put a "W" next to the Lions on their schedule. SO, all these "dirty players" excuses get thrown around. The Lions are not playing dirty, they're playing aggressively because they're trying to win. Deal with it. Tell your team to do the same.

DukeCityRadical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey folks, just wanted to stop in and drop a quick word. I'm also a Lions fan, from the same board that Red Ramage is from. I've certainly never cheered for the Packers... except for that frustrating love I have for the way your franchise is structured and conducts itself. I adore the fact that your team is owned by the community, and that what may be the smallest market in all of North American professional sports can produce a world champion. The Packers, in that respect, represent everything that's right with the NFL, and I wish there were more franchises like them.

That being said, boy howdy do I want you to lose on Thursday.

Your arguments about the Lions being cheap are well-formed and do resonate, Rizzo. I'm not here to defend my team on that front, but I will give my perspective. This Lions team, at this point, comes across to me as a team in its adolescence. They kinda flail around a little, especially with physicality, and it's still to be determined exactly what their character will be. I think that, coming so recently off of 0-16, there's a certain amount of tough-talk and intimidation tactics that might be necessary for the team to develop real belief in itself. I hope that once that belief is firmly established, we can do a better job of being professionals at all times. But I think it may be hard for other fans, particularly fans of such established franchises as the Packers, to understand all that's going in to trying to change the culture and perception of the Detroit Lions. I heard Warren Sapp, in an interview, say that Suh is a young player who's still trying to decide what his personality on the field will be. I think that's a fair assessment of the entire team. But if you'd sat through what we Lions fans have endured for the last 10 years, you might understand how encouraged we are just to watch our team at least hitting back, even if we do throw a few sucker punches. At least we don't just roll over anymore.

The Packers are clearly the class of the field this year, and I agree with Ramage -- I think that you might be able to take four out of five against us. But this is the NFL, and we don't keep score that way. I think you roll us hard the last week of the season at Lambeau, but I also think that there's a chance that you guys are walking into a buzzsaw this week. You may be better, but right now, I'm not sure we care about that. Someone on this forum pointed out that Thanksgiving is our SuperBowl. This year, it's also our chance to make the playoffs. We're all in on this game, and I think we're gonna gut it out.

Thanks for putting up with us visiting. Nice forum you've got here.

RedRamage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(If BJ Raji grabs Stafford's head and twists it in a way that causes irreparable harm not just to his playing career but to his quality of life, you would call for all hell to come down on him or at least you should). I'm all for playing through the whistle, but there is a difference between maintaining a physical edge and doing things that are blatantly dangerous.
I really think you are over stating what Suh has done. Even if you assume all the plays indicated above were intentionally dirty... that's like 5 plays out of how many? And I know that for a fact that they aren't all dirty.
You say you don't see intent to harm in most of them. Uh...should you see it in any of them?
Nope. And when I felt they were dirty/inexcusable I said as much.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I have been good predicting the Lions losses this year. Had them losing to the Niners/Bears (in Chicago)/Falcons. I have them losing this week and I hope my streak continues. I know they will be jacked up for this game like it's the Super Bowl (as if they know what a Super Bowl feels like let alone a playoff game) but there is also no way on Gods green Earth the Packers want to leave Detroit with a loss either after hearing about how awesome the Lions are all year and what a feel good story they are.

Sure the Lions are a good team and should have a few moments in this game but I still can't go against the Packers right now. I also am not convinced the Lions are mentally ready yet. That they are there yet.The Packers may out poise them. The Lions seem like the little feisty brother who wants to prove himself.

My one miss on them so far was the Cowboys game. I had Dallas winning but we all know Romo had an epic meltdown for the ages. My God that meltdown was almost stunning.I often give teams credit for a comeback win but that gave was almost gift wrapped at times by Romo.

May be a tougher game then I anticipate, it's divisional after all. It's also possible the worst thing that could have happened to Detroit was GB having an off game against TB. We'll see.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Hey folks, just wanted to stop in and drop a quick word. I'm also a Lions fan, from the same board that Red Ramage is from. I've certainly never cheered for the Packers... except for that frustrating love I have for the way your franchise is structured and conducts itself. I adore the fact that your team is owned by the community, and that what may be the smallest market in all of North American professional sports can produce a
world champion. The Packers, in that respect, represent everything that's right with the NFL, and I wish there were more franchises like them.

That being said, boy howdy do I want you to lose on Thursday.

Your arguments about the Lions being cheap are well-formed and do resonate, Rizzo. I'm not here to defend my team on that front, but I will give my perspective. This Lions team, at this point, comes across to me as a team in its adolescence. They kinda flail around a little, especially with physicality, and it's still to be determined exactly what their character will be. I think that, coming so recently off of 0-16, there's a certain amount of tough-talk and intimidation tactics that might be necessary for the team to develop real belief in itself. I hope that once that belief is firmly established, we can do a better job of being professionals at all times. But I think it may be hard for other fans, particularly fans of such established franchises as the Packers, to understand all that's going in to trying to change the culture and perception of the Detroit Lions. I heard Warren Sapp, in an interview, say that Suh is a young player who's still trying to decide what his personality on the field will be. I think that's a fair assessment of the entire team. But if you'd sat through what we Lions fans have endured for the last 10 years, you might understand how encouraged we are just to watch our team at least hitting back, even if we do throw a few sucker punches. At least we don't just roll over anymore.

The Packers are clearly the class of the field this year, and I agree with Ramage -- I think that you might be able to take four out of five against us. But this is the NFL, and we don't keep score that way. I think you roll us hard the last week of the season at Lambeau, but I also think that there's a chance that you guys are walking into a buzzsaw this week. You may be better, but right now, I'm not sure we care about that. Someone on this forum pointed out that Thanksgiving is our SuperBowl. This year, it's also our chance to make the playoffs. We're all in on this game, and I think we're gonna gut it out.

Thanks for putting up with us visiting. Nice forum you've got here.

This does make sense.

The Lions are going through puberty. :giggle:

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While I absolutely have no knowledge of what it's like to be a Lions fan, I can see why most Lions fans would love to see their team beat Green Bay. From 2000 to 2009, DET has a record of 3-17 (a winning percentage of just .150) against GB, including 1-4 on Thanksgiving games (The last time they won on Thanksgiving was in 2003, a 22-14 victory). The only feeling I have that only remotely resembles that was the times when GB couldn't beat DAL at all in the 90s (I think GB only one once, in Lambeau Field. All others have been losses, most of them playoff losses). Of course it would feel nice to "stick it" to the football team that had your number for a good deal of time, especially in primetime.

What was your reaction to DET beating GB 7-3 in Ford Field? Were you hopeful that it would revitalize a (really underrated, I believe) rivalry between the two that has lasted since 1934?

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. On paper, the Packers can beat the Lions in a shootout (like around 45-35 or 41-38), but then there's the intangibles like the following:
  • It's taking place at Ford Field, one of the loudest stadiums in football.
  • The fans, filled with years-old hatred for GB, will cheer their lungs out. This will cause several false starts by GB.
  • There are playoff chances on the line.
  • It's a divisional game. Both GB and DET know each other.
  • They've just came off an emotional win against Carolina, while Green Bay served up a dud against the Bucs, even though they won.
  • This is Detroit's biggest game in decades. They're going to give Green Bay everything they've got.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
You know this game is kind of reminding me of the NFC Championship game, and as frighting as it may be I think the Packers can pull through. I think Dom Capers has been pulling back the defense this year knowing that teams would be preparing against his schemes, along with dealing with injuries to Neal and Collins. Our offense has been practically unstoppable, and even if the Lions could turn the tides early with stopping our offense, its not like our defense is leading in interceptions. The hardest part of the game is going to be the ending of it, the Packers haven't been behind in the 4th quarter and lets hope we keep it that way. ;)

Members online

Latest posts