OFFICIAL PACKERS Thanksgiving day game

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers win against Detroit, they will make history. A win puts them at 11-0, their first 11-0 start since 1929*. The '29 Packers went through the rest of the season undefeated and won the NFL championship.

*Technically, they started 11-0-1, but they were still undefeated.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I can remember another undefeated Green Bay team that went into the lions den on Thanksgiving and they were mugged.

Luckily this is not the same Packers team. Honestly it may be a tough game. Division rival and all.

Another thing to keep in mind is that possibly Green Bay will want to prove something after hearing all season how great the Lions are at times.

Not much to prove against Tampa Bay.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The Schedule at my house on thanksgiving is from 9:30 to 12:30 is the game. During which we will be having cocktails and serving h'orderves featuring, Lion Pate, Lion Tail soup, Pickeled Lions feet and baby back Lion ribs.

at 1 we will be serving the main course, **** of Lion, Lion Ham, Lion Spare Ribs made with a special Suh sauce and Stafford stuffing. And for desert Megatron shaped ice cream bars.

Oh yeah and Pumpkin Pie.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if both teams score over 40 or both teams have a defensive struggle in 20s. Ya never know what defense you'll get from these Packers. Hoping for a win.

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am so excited for this game! Of all the games this season I could *potentially* see a loss here, just because I feel the Lions will really be out in full force considering the day and team they're playing, but I definitely see a great game unfolding. And if we lose, I'll be disappointed... but I can stomach a loss in Detroit on Thanksgiving to a good Lions team over a loss in Lambeau to, say, the Bucs, any day.

(Despite being from Green Bay, I've always had a soft spot for the Lions. Call it a character flaw).

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm feeling purdy confident in the Packs chances of winning on Turkey day. I tend to think for every TD Stafford throws he'll be intercepted twice. :D OK, that's a little homerism but still...

Dallas over Miami is probably an easy call but I'd love to see an upset.

The Harbaugh Bowl... I don't know what to think of the Ravens. They lose to crappy teams on the road but are undefeated at home. Their players are surely going to play well for their coach. It could end up being a very low scoring defensive struggle. (might be tough to stay awake with a belly full of turkey!) Short week for both teams but the Niners will lose a day of prep for travelling. Any kind of victory for the Niners will be huge for seeding.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm feeling purdy confident in the Packs chances of winning on Turkey day. I tend to think for every TD Stafford throws he'll be intercepted twice. :D OK, that's a little homerism but still...

Dallas over Miami is probably an easy call but I'd love to see an upset.

The Harbaugh Bowl... I don't know what to think of the Ravens. They lose to crappy teams on the road but are undefeated at home. Their players are surely going to play well for their coach. It could end up being a very low scoring defensive struggle. (might be tough to stay awake with a belly full of turkey!) Short week for both teams but the Niners will lose a day of prep for travelling. Definitely a trap game. Any kind of victory for the Niners will be huge for seeding.

Packers-Lions will be a fun game to watch.

Miami's been making noise the last few weeks. I wouldn't automatically pick the Cowpokes.

9ers-Ravens ain't exactly a trap game. The Ravens are effing good when Flacco acts like a real QB. Might be tough for SF to pull this one out.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I suppose calling it a trap game isn't quite accurate. LOL I'll edit my post!
It certainly could be tough depending on which Flacco shows up.

Currently the Ravens are only favored by 3. That's the default for home field advantage.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
After more than 24 hours after yesterday's game, I can't help but feel a similar way I did when the Saints were 11-0 going into New England, because everyone was picking the Patriots to beat them going into that game, and so far today, everyone I see is on the Lions side of the fence, outside Packer fans.

It would be funny to see the Pack blow them out and shock the world, but this is a divisional game, and that means it has a bigger chance of being close than any other games.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game kinda scares me, the Lions will bring it 4sure! As a division rival, you know they are going to be gunning for the Pack. I see Packers winning a close one 31-27. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and here's to Pack win, good times and good food with family and friends.:tup:

PackAttack13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need to look at this game as a statement game. The entire nation will be watching this game on Thanksgiving. First when they where 4-0 the team that could knock us off was the Falcons. Then we went 7-0 and it was the Chargers that might knock us off. And for some time now it was the Bears that where going to beat us. Now that Cutler might be out for the rest of the season people just look pass them as the team to beat us. But for the longest time everyone has been saying it will be the Lions that knock us off. Which is why this game can be a very big statement game. If the packers win they will be saying you have seen what we can do now everyone get out of our way because we are going for it. Now dont get me wrong I know that any given sunday any team can win no matter who they play. But from what I have seen this year no one can beat us. All the teams they say that can beat us have had ups and downs, losing to teams they shouldn't have but they do. And I know the packers can loose at any time also. They have proved that one mistake can be the difference but they always win. And I dont want this to come across as ignorant but until I see otherwise, the pack will go 16-0.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
This can be our Super Bowl Statement game as the only undefeated team left!

This game really is making me feel like the Patriots/Saints game in 2009. I remember every day leading up to that match up, everyone was on the New England band wagon, they were supposed to be the team that was going to beat the Saints and spoil their undefeated run. With that game, the Saints shocked all the doubters when they blew out the Patriots, and dominated them defensively, keeping Brady in check. That was their statement game from 2009.

This can very much be our statement game.
We have the Lions, whom everyone is picking against us, this really could be the team to beat us. They have more of a chance than anyone else because it's divisional. But if we win this game, I think that's it for the doubters, NO ONE can say a bad thing about this team, despite the horrible play of the defense when they are not getting turnovers.

I think if the Lions win, the media will get overboard with them like they did earlier this year, and then they will go to New Orleans and lose in the dome. It just seems, after the media really hyped them at the 5-0 start, they started to crumble.

If the Packers win, this game would be the major statement in proving all the doubters wrong. We proved them wrong in Atlanta, in San Diego, let's do it in Detroit now.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I have not watched the Lions closely in the last few weeks at all. Has their running game improved much if any? If not then I see a few Stafford mistakes that could be costly.

Also there will be a lot of pressure on the Lions to prove "they are for real" in this game.Lions also tend to start slow IMO so a fast start by GB would help a lot.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not watched the Lions closely in the last few weeks at all. Has their running game improved much if any? If not then I see a few Stafford mistakes that could be costly.

Also there will be a lot of pressure on the Lions to prove "they are for real" in this game.Lions also tend to start slow IMO so a fast start by GB would help a lot.
Former top pick Kevin Smith just ripped off about 150 yards and a pair of TDs Sunday. The interesting thing about him is that he was the All-American at Central Florida whom the Packers were scouting. That's when they accidentally were impressed with no-name OG there, Joshua Sitton.

Smith was a fine rookie, but injuries after injuries derailed him. So they used high picks in back-to-back years on Jahvid Best, and then this year in potential superstar Mikel LeShoure. LeShoure tore a knee in preseason and ended his season before it could begin. Best has looked great at times, but he's out still with lingering concussion effects.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After checking out Sunday's Lion's game I am more concerned about the Thanksgiving game, but I am still confident in a Packers win. The Lions did fall behind and then come back, but they also were playing the Panthers, and the Panthers are NOT the Packers.

I see Stafford getting rattled with pressure and ol' Chucky Dubya snagging an INT or two. I have full confidence in Dom Capers. After Monday's game, then this Sunday's game I think out defense is feeling rejuvenated!

Wife is rushing me to bed! Sorry guys! Go Pack Go!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
This game will provide some interesting contrasts. Steady eddy McCarthy versus volatile and unpredictable Schwartz. A premier offense against a stout defense. An intercepting defense against a strong running back. This game *may* give an indication of whether a team can go all the way with a high powered attack and bending defense. I won't state an absolute indicator because this is a weird year this year in the NFL.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I am hoping the Buc's game knocked of enough "Rust" that we get to see Neal come out and make a real difference in the D. Whatever else happens our O line HAS to protect the franchise.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are clearly the better team, but they need to play like it.

I'm nervous for Rodgers, the O-Line has been crap and Suh and others' reputation precedes them.

RedRamage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'm a Lions fan visiting from MotownSports.com. I found this site from the link at http://www.sportsforumindex.com/.

First off, I'll say that I'm not expecting the Lions to win on Thursday. They are certainly capable of winning, but I think the Packers are the better team. I'd say 80% of the time the Packers win. I just hope this is one of the 20%! :)

A quick run down on the Lions:
QB Stafford broke a bone in his index finger on his throwing hand a few weeks back. He's played with a glove on his hand the last two games. He played like crap against the Bears two Sunday's ago, and he played like crap for the first Qtr. of the game last Sunday against the Panthers. But then he seemed to figure it out and the finger/glove didn't bother him anymore. He went on to have a stellar 5 TD day against the Panthers in the final 3/4.

Our OL had been really poor most of the year... especially at run blocking. Kevin Smith had a very good day against the Panthers, but they are a really poor run defense team. Jahvid Best will almost certainly not be playing... BUT... the Lions have actually been BETTER on the ground without him. What the Lions do miss is Best as a receiver out of the back field.

Receiving starts with Calvin Johnson of course... but it certainly doesn't end there. Nate Burleson and Titus Young are very legit receivers. Young especially has been seeing a lot of action. Pettigrew and Scheiffler are also threat from the TE location. If a defense focus too much on taking CJ out of the game, Stafford is more than happy to kill you with other targets. Each of last weeks 5 TD passes went to a different guy... none of them named CJ.

Defensively the Lions strength is the front four. They don't always get the sacks, but they are always putting pressure on. And the Lions have a number of guys on the DL that they can rotate in all game long. This has been them MO all season long. The announcers will surely comment at some point in the TDay game that Suh is out of the line up like it's some amazing thing! Why isn't he in there?!?! Is he hurt!??! Is the coach mad at him?!?! No... idiots. If you did your research you'll see that they do this all game long to keep the DL fresh and keep the pressure on the opposing OL to tire them out.

Beyond the DL the Lions aren't bad though... The LB are much improved from last year, and our CBs aren't complete scrubs either. Our biggest weakness is the gashing runs. Our DE's play really wide and this opens up running lanes between the Tackle and Guard. If a LB doesn't get in that hole to fill it you can get 10, 20, 30 yards easy. Don't run between guard and center though... you'll get stuffed more times than not. The Lions are usually pretty good against screen passes too.

Now for the bad part... and I do mean really, really bad. Our special teams just SUCKS this year. Hanson is still a really good FG kicker, but that's the only bright spot. Our return man, Logan, seems lost out there this year. He makes poor decisions and 'Fair catches' way too much. Our coverage teams stink. We let WAY too many returns go long. We can't block for Logan when he ever does actually try to return. And we're on our 3rd Punter of the year. (First was okay... but he got injured. Replacement wasn't very good. The replacement of the replacement was okay against the Panthers.)

Last thing... I think someone eluded to it here before: The Lions are definitely a second half team. So far this year: First half: scored 110, gave up 145. Second half: scored 188, gave up 74. If the Packers are up by even 17 points at half time, don't assume the game is over.

Well, that's the Lions in a nutshell. At least that's my opinion of them. Hope for a good game, and no injuries... Honestly, I do hope that Rodgers gets a nasty hangnail and can't play, but other than that, no injuries.

Like I said above, I think the Lions lose, but I hope I'm wrong.

RedRamage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are clearly the better team, but they need to play like it.

I'm nervous for Rodgers, the O-Line has been crap and Suh and others' reputation precedes them.

In some ways I get a little sick of the reputation that the Lions DL, and team, has gotten. They don't play dirty. They are tough and they get their occasional penalties, but so does every other team. Some how they've gotten this reputation and then every thing gets put under a microscope. The Carolina game is a perfect example:

Carolina gets a horse collar penalty. Color commentary guy: "Can't do that... that's another 15 yards for the Lions. Dumb penalty there."

Later in the game, the Lions get a horse collar penalty. Color commentary guy: "Now this is showing the Lions lack of discipline. That lack of discipline will hurt your team if you can't reel it in."

Members online

Latest posts