OFFICIAL Packers @ 49ers - Divisional Round

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's because you're using the sign on that I use on other team's forums. No points for originality there.

Seriously...you're giving me grief over a compliment? I've used Marvin for as long as I can remember and use it on every forum I ever use AND on Youtube. I've actually used for 2 decades in video games. I've had it on forums for at LEAST 6 or 7 years.

I'm sorry...I missed your copyright on it.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say the Whitner hit was dirty, or the hard one on Early Doucet.
The ones into the ACLs are the ones I say are dirty.
Too many injuries occur on ***** tackles like that.
I've seen too many ACL's torn like that..... the one on Willis McGahee at the U of Miami in the Orange Bowl, Adrian Peterson last year, etc.
Just look at the freeze frames of Goldson.... the punk just dives down on his knees and lowers his head.... as the guys are running thru the area.

When tacklers had fundamentals still, they taught us to SEE WHAT YOU HIT.
Google Mike Singletary sometimes or watch Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis. These ***** cheap DBs these days that close their eyes and throw their ROCK HELMETS into knees... that has to stop.
Goodell is focusing on the wrong stuff.

Ya see...I have issues with that. Ronnie Lott couldn't play today.

Its nuts....The league is legislating hits to the head even tho offensive players put their heads down. So, a safety has to aim LOWER to avoid a head hit and a flag....very often that results in hits to the legs.

Its nearly impossible to hit the 1 or 2 foot area that is "allowed" when that target is running 4.5.

Does Goldson and Whitner hit hard? YES. Get outta her with the "cheap shot" BS tho.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We're going to have to play good defense against the 9ers. Any sacks we get will have to be coverage sacks, because we'll have to keep Kaep 'n Gore bottled up. Which means that if we have any lapse in coverage, Kaep will have time to find it. Not going to be easy. Something tells me we may wind up getting a little VD...

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ya see...I have issues with that. Ronnie Lott couldn't play today.

Its nuts....The league is legislating hits to the head even tho offensive players put their heads down. So, a safety has to aim LOWER to avoid a head hit and a flag....very often that results in hits to the legs.

Its nearly impossible to hit the 1 or 2 foot area that is "allowed" when that target is running 4.5.

Does Goldson and Whitner hit hard? YES. Get outta her with the "cheap shot" BS tho.
It's a growing period, and another will be needed. Soon enough Safeties that are used to hitting the "safe box" will enter the league and Frank's hits, along with chop blocks, will be done away with.

Reaction score
I think Dajuan Harris is gonna be a huge factor. His ability to disappear through the defense is going to be key. The Niners do very well against teams that are one dimensional. I think the no huddle offense is going to be an effective tool for the Pack. The Niners homefield isn't loud or boisterous like the Metrodome or Seattle's homefield. If the Packers win the opening toss, McCarthy needs to let our offense have the first crack. It's more of our D against Kaepernick. He is always looking to make a highlight play. The Packers D should use that to their advantage.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think Dajuan Harris is gonna be a huge factor. His ability to disappear through the defense is going to be key. The Niners do very well against teams that are one dimensional. I think the no huddle offense is going to be an effective tool for the Pack. The Niners homefield isn't loud or boisterous like the Metrodome or Seattle's homefield. If the Packers win the opening toss, McCarthy needs to let our offense have the first crack. It's more of our D against Kaepernick. He is always looking to make a highlight play. The Packers D should use that to their advantage.
They also seem to struggle against teams that run well. The single biggest variable in our offensive production will be the ability of our own version of Kendall Hunter (Harris AKA Fox) to kick them in the teeth.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also seem to struggle against teams that run well. The single biggest variable in our offensive production will be Harris' ability to kick them in the teeth.

More specifically, the Niner D has issues with teams with big, strong physical RBs. Adrian Peterson. Steven Jackson. Marshawn Lynch. Bradshaw isn't that big, but he's certainly physical.

If Justin Smith isn't his usual self, then the Pack may find some room on the ground.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
More specifically, the Niner D has issues with teams with big, strong physical RBs. Adrian Peterson. Steven Jackson. Marshawn Lynch. Bradshaw isn't that big, but he's certainly physical.

If Justin Smith isn't his usual self, then the Pack may find some room on the ground.
Fox (Harris) is very comparable to Hunter. Physicality is why I used the term "kick them in the teeth." Your thoughts?

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fox (Harris) is very comparable to Hunter, and likes to get physical. Your thoughts?

Ordinarily I'd say I'm not that concerned. The Niners are really good against the run, but they have had issues this year with those BIG backs. The reason is that those guys have been able to break tackles after first contact, push the pile, and fall forward. The Niners are FAST and hit like mack trucks...but they aren't huge. If Harris is like Hunter, then I wouldn't be that concerned....

...but with Justin Smith recovering from a partially torn tricep everything is kinda up in the air. Justin doesn't get huge numbers, but he's kinda like the spoke of the wheel on this defense. It all revolves around him. He takes up space and gives Aldon rush lanes and keeps linemen off Willis and Bowman. Jean-Francois (Justins backup) is actually a good player, but he's much more of an upfield, penetrating player than Justin is. In the past few games he's had a few sacks, but he also sometimes runs himself out of the play or doesn't occupy anyone so the linemen and TE/FB are getting to the second level.

If Justin is 80%-90% of his regular self tho, I would not be all that concerned. That isn't a statement against Harris, its more confidense in the D.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hoping the pack pulls this one out. however i feel like we match up worse against the 49ers than any other team in the playoffs.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's take a quick peek at the Niners losses, and see how and who beat them.
From most recent (Week 16 beatdown by Seattle), to longest ago.

Week 16, Lost 42-13 @ Seattle
The 49ers are clearly a physical smash mouth team. From the OL, RB, to all 3 levels on defense.
But Seattle gave them a strong, overdosage of their own medicine in this beautiful beatdown on NBC Sunday Night.
It was 28-6 at the half.
San Fran had just 1 sack of Seahawk QB Russell Wilson, a mere 1-yard loss as he almost made it to the LOS before Issac Sopoaga got him.

The key stat in the game was Seattle was 11-13 on 3rd down conversions. That's fantastic, and frustrating as hell for the defense.
Kaepernick was just 3-11 picking up 3rd downs.

Turnovers weren't the big factor really as it was 2-1 for the Hawks.
Russell Wilson had a 115.3 passer rating with a career high 4 TD passes, and Marshawn Lynch + Robert Turbin had 150 yards on 5 yards a carry. Frank Gore was held to 28 yards rushing, and Kaepernick had 31.
This was the game that Vernon Davis got plastered, cleanly with a flag thrown. And #2 or 3 WR Mario Manningham had his ACL taken out by a Dashon Goldson clone.

Week 15, Won @ New England 41-34
Patriots outgained them 520 to 388 total yards.
Patriots out-first downed them 32-19.
Total plays run were 92 to 65 for the Patriots.
But the turnovers were 4 by the Patriots to 2 by the Niners.
Kaepernick surprised Belichick with his arm, throwing for 4 TDs.
The Niners rushed for 180 yards.
They sacked Brady 3 times for -18 yards, and they pressured him into 2 Ints.
Still, once New England got down 31-3, they opened it up, spread out the defense, and went no huddle and aired it out.
Brady threw for 443 yards and brought them all the way back to 31-31, this without Gronkowski.
But they lost it at the end.
Still, it exposed the Niners a little bit as they could not stop San Fran in that 4th quarter once Brady got rolling.
But can our OL protect Rodgers in that type of deal?

Week 13, Lost 16-13 @ St. Louis
I really don't know how the Rams match up so well with them. The Rams also tied them earlier in the year in a game that either team could have won.
In this one, Legzilla Greg Zuerlein won it for the Rams with a 54-yard FG as overtime expired, after making a 53-yarder as time expired to force overtime.
Do you think Mason Crosby could do that? If so, I have some oceanfront property in Oklahoma I'd like to sell you.
The 49ers really deserved this game as they had an overwhelming 8-19 to 3-16 edge on 3rd doen conversions and that is usually a very telling stat. The Rams, in 5 quarters in a windless dome, only had 293 total yards.
But the Rams held Franky Gore to 58 yards on 23 carries - DISCIPLINED TACKLING.
They did let the Greek QB Kaepernick get loose on a 50 yard run, which I fear we are capable of doing, even with Woodson in there. He can't be everywhere.
This game was in the Rams dome, and I'd sure like to play the 49ers in that dome with our passing offense.
Justin Smith was a beast with 8 tackles, 3 for losses, and 1 sack.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321014025
Week 6, Lost 26-3 at home vs NY Giants
The Giants outrushed the Niners 149-80, a dose of their own medicine. Eliw as efficient but not spectacular. Just had 193 yards, and 1 TD. But no ints.
That's unlike Alex Smith who threw not one or two, but THREE interceptions.
This crept into the back of the mind of Harbaugh and even after Smith had a great stretch, before his concussion, it was there... so when Kaepernick looked great in that one game, that was it for Alex.
Ahmad Bradshaw was a workhorse little guy with 116 big yards on 27 carries. Rookie David Wilson chipped in 35 yards on 7 carries.
If our OL can block like theirs did, whether it's for Harris, Starks, Green, or Grant, we have a chance too.
Here is the key though. Eli Manning was NOT SACKED AT ALL. In 28 pass attempts.
Can you imagine Rodgers throwing it 28 times with no sacks? Holy Cheese, he might complete 25 or more of them.
The Giants had 6 sacks. There was your ballgame, beatdown. I wish we had Pierre Paul for this one.

Week 3, Lost 24-13 at Minnesota
It wasn't Adrian Peterson by himself, as the strong Niner defense held him to 86 yards on 25 carries, 3.something per carry. Far better than we have ever done.
But here's the KEY again: The Niners got ZERO, NO, NONE sacks on Christian Ponder. As a result, Ponder threw ZERO interceptions, with 2 TDs.
The Vikings sacked Smith only 3 times, but that helped pressure him into an Int during the game, as well as a lost fumble by Smith and one by Frank Gore.
The stout Vikings defense limited the Niners to 280 total yards for the game, limited the Niners ground game to a long run of 11 yards on the day. IMAGINE THAT.
Third down conversions were 4-10 for San Fran, and 7-14 for Ponder and the Vikings.
The Vikings also were 1-1 on 4th down.
The zebras only called 1 penalty on the Vikings I see, LOL..... they never get called for holding on those edges somehow....

So learning from this, PASS PROTECTION IS THE KEY.
They sacked Rodgers 3 times back in week one. Who knows how many were the OL fault and how many were Rodges for taking so long.
But think about this: Rodgers completes 2/3 of his passes usually, so those 3 big losses (24 yards) not only lost 24 yards, but they prevented 2 possible big plays.
Our OL has to stand strong, and by inserting EDS at center, sticking with Barclay at RT, they seem to be betting that we can. I worry a ton here.

Also, the opposing defenses didn't let Vernon Davis get deep on them, nor let Frank Gore go wild.
With our recent focus on tackling Peterson, maybe they can carry that over on Gore.
But these guys have a lot more variety and dangerous targets than those Vikings did, plus a great OL who somehow are all still healthy. As are their LBrs and DL (Justin Smith hobbled, but he's still there).

For us to win, we need to see some numbers like this:

3rd down conversions:
San Fran 4/11
Packers 8/14

time of possession
San Fran 28:30
Packers 31:30

1st downs
San Fran 17
Packers 22

total yards
San Fran 325
Packers 390

sacks by
San Fran 1
Packers 3

ints by
San Fran 0
Packers 1

That's with 0-0 in turnovers. Each turnover will sway the game, so if they're even zero, with the numbers above, we win about 24-17.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts