OFFICIAL Packers @ 49ers - Divisional Round

goldstandard333

49ers Fan
Reaction score
The thing about the Patriots is they have a great QB who sort of masks most of their serious flaws. As long as you guys have Rodgers you will be contending.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about the Patriots is they have a great QB who sort of masks most of their serious flaws. As long as you guys have Rodgers you will be contending.
Thanks, maybe.
But Rodgers was awesome in 2008 too, but a crappy rest of the team can ruin it.
We need Super Bowls.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
For some reason, your discussion on souffles got me wondering... Are we even working with the basic ingredients for a souffle in GB? Can Ted even make a souffle (blow torch or wet match, no matter) if he only has the makings for a pudding?

Let's compare GB draft picks versus SF. Not which round, but overall number. SF has had some pretty lean years lately, whereas the Packers have been nearly always drafting in the bottom half of each round. Looking at yesterday's starters:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Interesting. I actually was not aware that GB was starting TWO UDFAs as corners and six overall (versus only 1 on SF). Also, no wonder the SF defense is so amazing. Look at those low draft numbers for the backers and corners! And other than Sitton, their O-line draft positions are significantly lower than ours man-for-man. Even our WRs were drafted much later than theirs.

Amazing difference between the two talent pools.

Trying not to look whiny or making any excuses. Just looking at the facts for discussion.

In my opinion, Ted has been making souffle from the ingredients for chocolate pudding. Not too shabby.

Excellent post..

That is what I was really wondering, now we know

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly doesn't help when you have these 1st round picks in casts:

Nick Perry, 2012
Derek Sherrod, 2011
Bryan Bulaga, 2010
Cedric Benson, 2005

Also, Jerel Worthy, 2nd round 2012
Desmond Bishop too.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I have to listen to one more announcer talk about what a defensive master mind Capers is, I'm gonna puke! With the level of talent GB has on this defensive unit they should have a shut-down D....instead what they've got is one of the worst defenses ever...Capers may have once been a defensive master mind, but clearly the game has now passed him by.....

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
If I have to listen to one more announcer talk about what a defensive master mind Capers is, I'm gonna puke! With the level of talent GB has on this defensive unit they should have a shut-down D....instead what they've got is one of the worst defenses ever...Capers may have once been a defensive master mind, but clearly the game has now passed him by.....

Hey, Gramps, did you NOT see my post above? You know, the one that shows the pudding?

Yes, the Pack got plastered last night. It happens. Now, go take your medicine. And not just the stuff that makes Grandma happy...

PFanCan

Reaction score
Excellent post..

That is what I was really wondering, now we know

LT: After reading all these bandwagon postings and realizing that you and Kitten have to police them, I realize how your role must suck.

If you ever ask me to mod, remind me to decline.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And like the Pats over the past 10 years and the Packers for 10 years after Holmgren, how many championships? Always contending but not quite good enough to win it all. Always getting beat by the one year wonders.

I am happy to watch a team that wins far more than it loses. Winning the division 2 years in a row with 4 years of playoffs and one Super Bowl in the last 4 years is better than most.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I am happy to watch a team that wins far more than it loses. Winning the division 3 years in a row with 4 years of playoffs and one Super Bowl in the last 4 years is better than most.
But they got the ring. I want several more not just close but no cigar year after year. We had that with the post-Holmgren era.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
So name all these talented defensive players and what they excel at.

Reaction score
Regarding draft position in the spreadsheet on page 15 (and the ability to acquire quality free agents, mentioned elsewhere in this thread), keep in mind that Rodgers, Whitner and Moss weren't drafted by the 49ers, so that really should raise the average draft position for 49er players. That being said, it's clear the 49ers have benefitted from good draft position. To the 49ers credit, lots of teams have had long runs of early drafts but didn't become contenders.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm saying it's not entirely his fault. The fact that you didn't immediately start listing proves that.

I didn't start listing because even the vaugest of Packers fans knows how much talent they have on that defense...I believe the problem with the defense is about 10% on the players and 90% on Capers....

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't start listing because even the vaugest of Packers fans knows how much talent they have on that defense...I believe the problem with the defense is about 10% on the players and 90% on Capers....
I agree that we should look at making a move at DC if we can get find someone who fits well and coaches the same type of D.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I got it 35/65. Lot of failed execution

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

A few people have it, Bishop said, but he added that the entire team needs it to produce a winner.
"Just an internal mind-set," he said. "Just a mind-set of getting it done, running around hitting. And I think we’ll be fine. I think (we need to be) just be more focused on it. It’s something that we can consciously every day just kind of bring to our mind. I think it will turn over and show up on the field.”

Through the loss, defensive coordinator Dom Capers has been under heavy criticism by fans. There were no defensive players from the loss available in the locker room Sunday to talk about the playoff loss but Bishop stood up for Capers.

“You can’t have a great defense and win the Super Bowl one year and then be kicked out the next year, or a year or two later," Bishop said. "I don’t think it should work like that at all. I think Dom Capers is a great coach."

PFanCan

Reaction score
Regarding draft position in the spreadsheet on page 15 (and the ability to acquire quality free agents, mentioned elsewhere in this thread), keep in mind that Rodgers, Whitner and Moss weren't drafted by the 49ers, so that really should raise the average draft position for 49er players. That being said, it's clear the 49ers have benefitted from good draft position. To the 49ers credit, lots of teams have had long runs of early drafts but didn't become contenders.

Yeah, the Packers had several players that were acquired years after they were drafted by other teams, too (e.g. Woodson, Benson...). Another thing that would dramatically increase the average for the Packers would be to include a number for all six UDFAs. Currently, I just ignored them. But, if I put a fictitious 8th round number like 240, then suddenly the Packer average climbs significantly.

And your point about giving the 49er organization credit......... I totally agree! Hot damn, that's an impressive team. Plus, they have FOURTEEN picks in the next draft. If Kaep stays healthy, you got a dynasty potential here.

Members online

Latest posts