Official Pack vs Niners

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
They even delved into the notion that Thomas was faster than Palmer in coverage, so the theory was that this would free up Clay Matthews to line up on the edge and rush the passer in obvious passing downs.
That makes sense but what doesn't make sense to me was they didn't put him on the PS. I read about his reaction to being waived and then not even being put on the PS and he was extremely upset/pissed. BTW, good guess on Quarless to IR Boomerang, I was hoping his injury wasn't that serious.

I hope they let Adams ankle heal and Burnett's injury too. They have a very winnable road game this week, then two home games and the bye. It'd be great going to Denver on November 1 as healthy as possible. After that, 5 division games, the Panthers, Cowboys, and Cardinals await.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I guess that they thought he was ready to contribute. This Annen kid that just got added to the PS has to learn the playbook. Thomas spent the summer learning the Packers' defensive calls. They saw an immediate need to get Clay going after the passer and pulled the trigger. It was an unusually aggressive move for TT but not crazy, and in line with what other top GMs might do to enhance their rosters.

Thanks for the kudos. It was a multiple choice test Guion's spot and I happened to guess correctly on this thread :)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, this has the makings for a whoopin'.

I think that, regretfully, the real blowout will be the Bears game on Thanksgiving. I'd rather have that be a hard-fought victory than just a highschool homecoming romp over a weak opponent.

Ray_66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, this has the makings for a whoopin'.

I think that, regretfully, the real blowout will be the Bears game on Thanksgiving. I'd rather have that be a hard-fought victory than just a highschool homecoming romp over a weak opponent.
I agree we are celebrating the retirement of #4 you want a victory, not a victory with the bears whimpering in the Enzone. Yea I'm old school, I don't call it the house, which sounds panzy like to me. Here's to a good game against bears

By the way I prefer Pabst. .......lol

Last edited:

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think Krapernick's confidence is shaky.If we put it on him fast I think we can shut him down. If not,he may get that mojo back and have a good day.(which I don't think will happen) Pack win 42-17

D

Deleted member 6794

Davante Adams, Demetri Goodson, Morgan Burnett, Jake Ryan and Bryan Bulaga still not practicing today.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Keys to the game:

1. Contain. AND, if Kaep runs out of the pocket acting like he has the ball, TACKLE HIM. I don't understand why players do not eagerly do this?... a free hit on the QB!!! The RB running up the middle is not their responsibility... yet, too often our Packer OLBs are caught watching the RB while the QB runs around them (with the ball) to open space.

2. Tackle. Wrap up with the arms. Especially you, HaHa. Hyde is an up-and-comer. Respect him. Shoulder impacts (or whiffs) don't usually lead to tackles with good runners.

3. No R-E-L-A-X-ing on either side of the ball. Do not let up. Game is 60 minutes long.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't usually go in for 'wild' predictions, but I've got a gut feeling on this one.
Another 5 TD passes for Rodgers, and the Pack goes off on the niners, 52-14

30-30

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers have been embarrassed and humiliated the last two weeks. They’re at home and they’re desperate for a win. All reasons to take this game very seriously. But the reality is that they’re only a shadow of the team they fielded just two years ago. It’s still early, but their season is shaping up to be a train wreck. If the Packers take care of business, they should win handily.

On Offense, the 49ers will try to run the ball, control the clock, and keep the Packers Offense off the field. Stop the run and you stop the 49ers. They can’t pass the ball consistently because their O-line is a mess, with only two quality starters left over from the once-strong unit they had. Because the O-line is failing, the QB is regressing. Force Colin Kaepernick to beat you from the pocket.

On Defense, their pass rush is poor and their secondary is worse. Their D-coordinator has asked a young and inexperienced group to execute a much too complex scheme. As a result, they’ve been exposed and embarrassed the last two weeks. Expect them to simplify the Defense and tighten things up. Nevertheless, the skill and talent differential is just too great. Aaron Rogers and the Packers Offense should be able to carve them up. The best strategy would be to score early and often to make the 49ers abandon their running game and play catch-up. They’re not built for this.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers have been embarrassed and humiliated the last two weeks. They’re at home and they’re desperate for a win. All reasons to take this game very seriously. But the reality is that they’re only a shadow of the team they fielded just two years ago. It’s still early, but their season is shaping up to be a train wreck. If the Packers take care of business, they should win handily.

On Offense, the 49ers will try to run the ball, control the clock, and keep the Packers Offense off the field. Stop the run and you stop the 49ers. They can’t pass the ball consistently because their O-line is a mess, with only two quality starters left over from the once-strong unit they had. Because the O-line is failing, the QB is regressing. Force Colin Kaepernick to beat you from the pocket.

On Defense, their pass rush is poor and their secondary is worse. Their D-coordinator has asked a young and inexperienced group to execute a much too complex scheme. As a result, they’ve been exposed and embarrassed the last two weeks. Expect them to simplify the Defense and tighten things up. Nevertheless, the skill and talent differential is just too great. Aaron Rogers and the Packers Offense should be able to carve them up. The best strategy would be to score early and often to make the 49ers abandon their running game and play catch-up. They’re not built for this.

I agree wholeheartedly.

It may seem like a trap game but we are in disarray at the moment. Talent-wise, I don't think we're anywhere close to the team that has played the last two weeks. But our confidence is shot, on both sides of the ball and guys are not playing focused, sound and disciplined football. Offensively, our new OC has been on point. The schemes and the play-calls are not an issue. Guys are open. Its the talent, or lack there of, on the O-Line that's killing our offense. Our C, RG, and RT need to be replaced but Tomsula doesnt want to give the appearance of being in panic mode and I understand to a degree that guys have to gel together and build cohesion. But when your awful, your awful...time can't fix that. He needs to smarten up and make changes sooner rather than later.

The thing apbout Kap is the first 2 weeks, he was showing progress from the pocket. He was taking the checkdown, not forcing passes, going through progressions and improved mechanics. You could see he had worked on his play from the pocket. But the O-Line slowly began to chip away at his ability to stand in the pocket and throw. And it all came to a head against the Cards, as he didn't trust his eyes nor the line and just completely fell apart. Its going to be hard to bounce back from a game where you could visibly see, he was absolutely scare to throw the ball, afraid that his next pass was going to be another int.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked it up from the NFL.com writers and am too lazy to write designated for return every single time.

IR Boomerang sounds to me like someone trying to get too cutesy with a term that will change next year. I prefer short term IR.

Divot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The new o line coach who was formerly with the 49ers should provide some insight into what they did to free up Kaep to run. I think they just allowed guys to over pursue him deep in the pocket and he stepped up and bailed knowing that he only had to beat one lb that was spying him.

This is a very good point. VERY GOOD POINT

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they did anything special, I just think we had enough holes due to injury, and a very undisciplined pass rush that created running lanes everywhere and not enough speed to close them down.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy said there's only a slight chance that Davante Adams will play vs. the Niners, Morgan Burnett is getting better according to the head coach.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
IR Boomerang sounds to me like someone trying to get too cutesy with a term that will change next year. I prefer short term IR.
Personally I'd expect it to be shortened to DFR someday. Very few write out IR anymore and most understand it.

D

Deleted member 6794

It is. He went from having a former QB as a HC, to Jim Tomsula and no Frank Gore or Crabtree.

The offensive line, especially the right side, is probably the primary reason for Kaepernick´s confidence being shaky. Carlos Hyde and Torrey Smith are adequate replacements for Gore and Crabtree.

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offensive line, especially the right side, is probably the primary reason for Kaepernick´s confidence being shaky. Carlos Hyde and Torrey Smith are adequate replacements for Gore and Crabtree.

He's actually been sacked this season at a rate nearly identical to the year they made the super bowl run and a sack fewer than last season, so the OL isn't playing horrible despite having 2 new OL along that right side. I've watched 2 of his games and his 4 INT's last week were just poor passes. Even the Honey Badger called out on how easy it was to read.

It could be culmination of things, starting with a HC who is in way over his head, however it is evident that Kap is not on the same page as the people around him, as he was in years past.

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly.

It may seem like a trap game but we are in disarray at the moment. Talent-wise, I don't think we're anywhere close to the team that has played the last two weeks. But our confidence is shot, on both sides of the ball and guys are not playing focused, sound and disciplined football. Offensively, our new OC has been on point. The schemes and the play-calls are not an issue. Guys are open. Its the talent, or lack there of, on the O-Line that's killing our offense. Our C, RG, and RT need to be replaced but Tomsula doesnt want to give the appearance of being in panic mode and I understand to a degree that guys have to gel together and build cohesion. But when your awful, your awful...time can't fix that. He needs to smarten up and make changes sooner rather than later.

The thing apbout Kap is the first 2 weeks, he was showing progress from the pocket. He was taking the checkdown, not forcing passes, going through progressions and improved mechanics. You could see he had worked on his play from the pocket. But the O-Line slowly began to chip away at his ability to stand in the pocket and throw. And it all came to a head against the Cards, as he didn't trust his eyes nor the line and just completely fell apart. Its going to be hard to bounce back from a game where you could visibly see, he was absolutely scare to throw the ball, afraid that his next pass was going to be another int.

Couple of questions for you:

a) I've read a few sports pundits and plenty of 9ers fans who are saying that the Kaepernick experiment is a bust and it's time to move on from the guy. Since I don't know his salary situation well enough I can't comment on it from that angle. Your take?

b) How's Hyde compared to Gore? Gore was a real bruiser. Hyde looks like a different type of runner to me. Can he carry the load?

D

Deleted member 6794

He's actually been sacked this season at a rate nearly identical to the year they made the super bowl run and a sack fewer than last season, so the OL isn't playing horrible despite having 2 new OL along that right side. I've watched 2 of his games and his 4 INT's last week were just poor passes. Even the Honey Badger called out on how easy it was to read.

It could be culmination of things, starting with a HC who is in way over his head, however it is evident that Kap is not on the same page as the people around him, as he was in years past.

Kaepernick has been pressured 47 times through the first three games this season (15.7 per game). This is a significant increase over last season's 12.2 pressures per game and the 10 pressures per game in 2012.

He has never beem a great passer capable of beating an opponent with his arm (aside of the Packers in week 1 of 2013) so I'm actually not surprised he's struggling.

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has never beem a great passer capable of beating an opponent with his arm (aside of the Packers in week 1 of 2013) so I'm actually not surprised he's struggling.

This was my thought in the other thread. He isn't going to be a good team on his arm alone. Play contain, make him throw the ball. He's struggling.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts