Official OT David Bakhtiari thread

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will compete for one of the starting tackle spots immediately imo. Newhouse is terrible and i think sherrod will never be the same. Same kind of build as bulaga with the short arms however tough enough to play inside.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Makes sense, LT was our weakest spot on the O-line and we need the competition. Reducing the amount of sacks for Rodgers is critical this year, especially those that come from the left side. Newhouse had an open-door policy last season, yet I'll admit he looked MUCH better in the playoff games. Sherrod was out TWO YEARS for a broken leg, that has to be one incredible injury and I agree with rodell, he probably won't be the same.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like a guard project to me.

Guys we do a lot of thinking but TT and Co. do a lot of knowing. I suspect that if Derrick Sherrod's recovery didn't look good at this point that they they would have A) selected an OT earlier and B) selected an OT that projected better at the position than Tretter/Bakhtiari. RIght now Teddy is using his bevvy of late picks to shore up depth at critical parts of the roster. I'm expecting him to add some secondary help and maybe a wide body for the D-line.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Newhouse's contract expires after 2013 season. Maybe they think this guy can be a starting LT with 18 months of work.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
His brother was/is a punter...

Rodgers and Clay are good friends of his brother..He spent about 3 weeks working out with Clay right before Clay got his new deal

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like a guard project to me.

Guys we do a lot of thinking but TT and Co. do a lot of knowing. I suspect that if Derrick Sherrod's recovery didn't look good at this point that they they would have A) selected an OT earlier and B) selected an OT that projected better at the position than Tretter/Bakhtiari. RIght now Teddy is using his bevvy of late picks to shore up depth at critical parts of the roster. I'm expecting him to add some secondary help and maybe a wide body for the D-line.

I don't know if that's particularly true. The run on offensive tackles didn't allow the Packers to select an offensive tackle earlier. Five higher rated offensive tackles, as well as Kyle Long who projects as a tackle, were all drafted by pick #20. The only way the Packers could have selected a tackle earlier would have been to trade up.

CBS Sportsline has Bakhtiari rated as the eight best tackle in the draft this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/OT

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will compete for one of the starting tackle spots immediately imo. Newhouse is terrible and i think sherrod will never be the same. Same kind of build as bulaga with the short arms however tough enough to play inside.

Uh I don't think so. I like this pick, but you are reading the signs all wrong. The fact that the Packers didn't draft O Lineman until the 4th round is a good indication that they have confidence in Sherrod and Bulaga coming back healthy and playing approximately like a first round picks. Bakhtiari seems like a solid backup but more as a guard than tackle. Newhouse isn't starter quality, but he and possibly Datko and/or Barkley give the Packers decent depth.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if that's particularly true. The run on offensive tackles didn't allow the Packers to select an offensive tackle earlier. Five higher rated offensive tackles, as well as Kyle Long who projects as a tackle, were all drafted by pick #20. The only way the Packers could have selected a tackle earlier would have been to trade up.

CBS Sportsline has Bakhtiari rated as the eight best tackle in the draft this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/OT

CBS also rated him as a 2-3 round grade. GB could have selected him with the team's second pick and could have selected him in the 3rd. That GB waited until the 4th round to select him suggests to be that GB grabbed him for his value at that spot, and not because the team views tackle as an urgeant need.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW the team is reporting that Sherrod is making good progress with his leg. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CBS also rated him as a 2-3 round grade. GB could have selected him with the team's second pick and could have selected him in the 3rd. That GB waited until the 4th round to select him suggests to be that GB grabbed him for his value at that spot, and not because the team views tackle as an urgeant need.

That's exactly what I was saying. If tackle was a need, the Packers would have traded up.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I don't see him as a starter, maybe a back up if we get smashed by the injury bug. He seems to have a long way to go in development before starting. 299 is a tad light, hope the NFL trainers can pack another 15-20 Lbs on him. I do however disagree with mike mayock in that he said 6'4" is too short.....not really Mike.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He's got shorter arms (long enough) but Bak has LT potential. I fully expect him to compete with Newhouse (even if I don't think he'll win on the blind side)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts