Official Niners thread

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Garoppolo is a capable QB. He actually reminds me of Goff a bit. A middle tier guy that is going to make enough plays to generate points and offensive efficiency. He can and will make mistakes. The big difference I see between the Packers and 49ers is the defense. The 49ers have a gigantic advantage here. We saw against the Lions that only the Lions stopped themselves. Well, that and the rain. The Packers will need to put up 35 again to win this game and I have a feeling that doesn't happen. 49ers 28 Packers 17

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Talk here
Just a suggestion...

We need one more thread for each game, one that you open a few hours before the game starts....."Official 49'ers shoutbox".

That way those that like that feature have their own thread to go back and forth in during the game. Those of us that don't participate during the game, don't have to sift through a 100 "Fire this guy and that guy" posts.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a suggestion...

We need one more thread for each game, one that you open a few hours before the game starts....."Official 49'ers shoutbox".

That way those that like that feature have their own thread to go back and forth in during the game. Those of us that don't participate during the game, don't have to sift through a 100 "Fire this guy and that guy" posts.
Just for S&G I checked out the game thread on Packer Rats. We have a few chicken littles here but even the best of them could take lessons from that flock.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The 49ers offense is incredibly screen heavy and reliant upon YAC. I believe that have the lowest aDOT in the NFL. Their trademark run game has been up and down through two games-- good in week 1, and not so good in week 2. History tells us that they will be effective against Green Bay.

Their defense has been stingy and fueled by a resurgent Nick Bosa. They allowed a lot of garbage time points to Detroit (it was 31-10 and then 41-17 before the Lions started drawing closer as time ran out), but not when the game was on the line. They've been susceptible to opposing ground games so far, but have put the clamps on passing attacks generally. It will be interesting to see if that holds up this week. Their corners are not very talented.

If the Packers let SF build a ~10 point lead, I think it's lights out. They'll use their run game and YAC game to throttle Green Bay. So the offense must keep pace.

The pass rush is basically irrelevant against Garoppolo. The ball is out way too fast. Drop 8 a lot and TACKLE. That's the key. Deebo has been their focal point. He has 20 targets, and 2nd is Kittle with 11.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Through two weeks, Garoppolo's completions and attempts by depth of target:

Behind LOS: 12/15
1-5 yards: 8/9
6-10 yards: 11/14
11-15 yards: 2/6
15-20 yards: 5/7
20+ yards: 1/2

A whopping 28% of his pass attempts have been behind the LOS. Nearly half (45%) have been within 5 yards of the LOS. 72% have come within 10 yards.

This is what I mean when I say that the entire passing game is about yards after the catch. Tackle, tackle, tackle, tackle, tackle.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just a suggestion...

I'm not sure I follow

Just for S&G I checked out the game thread on Packer Rats. We have a few chicken littles here but even the best of them could take lessons from that flock.

There are chicken littles everywhere on every forum. Just the name of the game.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow

There are chicken littles everywhere on every forum. Just the name of the game.
He wants a thread titled shout box..So that would be a thread talking aboit real time action.

Along with a thread titled Packers vs ---- talking about the game in real time.

We arent having 2 threads on same thing

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
He wants a thread titled shout box..So that would be a thread talking aboit real time action.

Along with a thread titled Packers vs ---- talking about the game in real time.

We arent having 2 threads on same thing
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will lose this game. I haven't watched the tape since getting back from the Lions game, but my quick thoughts are that the only improvement from Week 1 were in LeFluer's playcalling. I don't think Rodgers played a good game. We ran the ball more and with the pre-snap movement was much better (LeFluer). The defense was not good in the first half but pitched a second half shutout, against a poor Lions offense.

Unless there is serious improvement on both sides of the ball, I do not expect us to go on the road to San Francisco to win. That said, I'm definitely rooting for a victory.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow
Pretty simple. I am seeing a lot of people upset that the shoutbox disappeared. I assume these were regulars of it and that they had fun with the "live" nature of it during a game. It's not something I participated in, during a game, too distracting for me. However, since the shoutbox disappeared the normal game threads have been "hijacked", for lack of a better word, by this group of users. Not that big of a deal, but I don't like having to sift through the multiple pages of the usual hand wringing and negativity to possibly find some useful insight. So giving the "shoutbox users" their own thread for games might eliminate what we are seeing with gameday threads turning into a hodgepodge of posts.

PhilaPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its going to be a real battle on the field this sunday night. Might be a low scoring game, could go back and fourth in scoring, who knows. All i want is to finish the game with no major penalties with players being ejected, or injuries. And to come home with a win.

Krabs

Reaction score
The only improvement from Week 1 were in LeFluer's playcalling. I don't think Rodgers played a good game. We ran the ball more and with the pre-snap movement was much better (LeFluer). The defense was not good in the first half but pitched a second half shutout, against a poor Lions offense.

Unless there is serious improvement on both sides of the ball, I do not expect us to go on the road to San Francisco to win. That said, I'm definitely rooting for a victory.
They seem to have trouble going to the West Coast and winning games. I still think they can do it, but kind of have the same feeling you do. Probably an L.

With that said, I thought Rodgers played very well. He did admit the deep ball was missed to MVS and that was on him. However, he was threading the needle with his passes. That one to Tonyan down the middle was ridiculous. Also, the passes to Jones, while short, were right on the money. He never had to break stride. I saw a stat at one point that of the five 1st downs the Packers had they were 2/2 on 2nd down and 3/3 on 3rd down with Rodgers passing the ball. That one 50 yarder to Adams was a 3rd and long. So, the only umbrage I take is that you think he didn't play well. Otherwise, this is going to be a really tough game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They seem to have trouble going to the West Coast and winning games. I still think they can do it, but kind of have the same feeling you do. Probably an L.
I can't remember the record, but someone mentioned it in a podcast or something. The Packers record in California is amazingly bad in the last several years.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty simple. I am seeing a lot of people upset that the shoutbox disappeared. I assume these were regulars of it and that they had fun with the "live" nature of it during a game. It's not something I participated in, during a game, too distracting for me. However, since the shoutbox disappeared the normal game threads have been "hijacked", for lack of a better word, by this group of users. Not that big of a deal, but I don't like having to sift through the multiple pages of the usual hand wringing and negativity to possibly find some useful insight. So giving the "shoutbox users" their own thread for games might eliminate what we are seeing with gameday threads turning into a hodgepodge of posts.

Personally, since I've been at work during the games, I read the posts up to about a half hour before the game then skip to about an hour after as cooler heads start discussing it. I never sat on SB much anyway. Diminished my enjoyment of the game. Some also seemed to get the game feed a play sooner than I did as they'd post TD or boneheaded blunder before I saw the play.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With that said, I thought Rodgers played very well. He did admit the deep ball was missed to MVS and that was on him. However, he was threading the needle with his passes. That one to Tonyan down the middle was ridiculous. Also, the passes to Jones, while short, were right on the money. He never had to break stride. I saw a stat at one point that of the five 1st downs the Packers had they were 2/2 on 2nd down and 3/3 on 3rd down with Rodgers passing the ball. That one 50 yarder to Adams was a 3rd and long. So, the only umbrage I take is that you think he didn't play well. Otherwise, this is going to be a really tough game.
I my opinion, Rodgers played about the same as he did in Week 1. I thought that he played slightly better than okay in that game but LeFleur's playcalling and lack of running game really made Rodgers look bad. Against the Lions, there was much more creativity in the playcalling and reliance on the run game and Jones as a dual threat rushing and receiving. That made Rodgers look better but I still think that this season he is well below his typical level of play. He missed several long passes, threw that terrible throw that should have been an INT but Adams played DB. He never even attempted a pass to Lazard, underutilized Tonyan up the middle (TD throw aside), and I think misused MVS - only throwing to him deep instead of in the middle where he supposedly "dominated" during camp. That second series where we went three-and-out on three pass plays.... Either Rodgers is changing those calls or LeFleur called three straight passes, but that is not the Packers' strength.

Rodgers isn't spreading the ball around effectively, isn't sharp on his throws, and generally doesn't seem to be reading defenses as well. That said, he made some beautiful passes. It's not all doom and gloom. He is still a great QB.

Let's be honest, this team offensively is a bit more like the Ahman Green Packers of the early 2000s. We are better when Aaron Jones is the focus than Rodgers. Before everyones' britches catch on fire... I'm not saying that Rodgers is washed up or done. I'm just saying that this offense seems to click best when Jones is the feature and then Rodgers and the receivers punish teams for stacking up against the run.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not saying that Rodgers is washed up or done. I'm just saying that this offense seems to click best when Jones is the feature and then Rodgers and the receivers punish teams for stacking up against the run.
Key sentences here and I agree. When the Packers come up against a defense that puts consistent pressure on Rodgers, his game and the offense seems to get out of whack. Against the Saints, they fell behind and suddenly Jones is no longer involved in the offense that much. MLF and the Packer offense need to be ready for that to happen against the 49'ers. Problem is and we have seen it before, once another teams offense starts scoring at will against our defense, the pressure on Rodgers and the offense to score on every drive compounds. I thought that was going to happen Monday night and suddenly the defense gets a stop, thanks to Lion penalties. Although our offense didn't score on the next drive, I think it gave them the confidence that the Packer defense could actually slow down the Lions. I didn't get that feeling during the Saints game.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. A good game plan should never be abandoned unless your are in the fourth quarter and down by multiple touchdowns.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I have been reading, SF is running the ball very well. So well, that Garrapolo does not have to throw much (not that he can't). So we gotta be ready for that and on offense for SF to be keying on Jones. As always, we have to pass well in order to run...or else play the Lions. We did not run a lot against NOrleans because we couldn't imho.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
From what I have been reading, SF is running the ball very well. So well, that Garrapolo does not have to throw much (not that he can't). So we gotta be ready for that and on offense for SF to be keying on Jones. As always, we have to pass well in order to run...or else play the Lions. We did not run a lot against NOrleans because we couldn't imho.
Well then the good news is this.....their top 5 RB's are hurt! Maybe we will see them pick up and start Dexter Williams? ;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy, the 49ers are really fighting injuries two seasons in a row now.

The Ravens are riding out the injury storm reasonably well so far.

Krabs

Reaction score
I my opinion, Rodgers played about the same as he did in Week 1.
Not even close. I have to disagree. He held the ball way too long and tried to extend too many plays in week 1. He played totally different in week 2. They attacked the flat and he was decisive with where he was going with the ball. They did attach the middle with Tonyan. He had two nice screen passes and then the TD. He also had at least one pass interference call. I actually think it was two. Again, I can't agree on this point.

He missed several long passes, threw that terrible throw that should have been an INT but Adams played DB.
This I agree with and pointed out. Rodgers also noted it in the presser. They will get this figured out.

Rodgers isn't spreading the ball around effectively, isn't sharp on his throws, and generally doesn't seem to be reading defenses as well.
He completed passes to 6 different receivers and was spot on with his shorter passes. He was hitting guys in stride giving them the opportunity to make plays. I'm not going to get into the point of reading defenses. He does it with the best of them.

Let's be honest, this team offensively is a bit more like the Ahman Green Packers of the early 2000s. We are better when Aaron Jones is the focus than Rodgers. Before everyones' britches catch on fire... I'm not saying that Rodgers is washed up or done. I'm just saying that this offense seems to click best when Jones is the feature and then Rodgers and the receivers punish teams for stacking up against the run.
A well balanced offense is always preferred. I think Rodgers played much better than you're giving him credit for. I have to disagree with you on a few points. Totally agree on the game plan though. It was much better and looked way more MLF's style.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The 9'ers signed RB Jacques Patrick off the Bengals practice squad yesterday. Patrick was a onetime XFL star. I still won't put it past the Packers defense to make him and Garoppolo look like Pro Bowlers on Sunday night.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
George Kittle coming out party Sunday night. Luckily I'm pretty sure the Packer's offense can hang but I really don't believe in our current DC and this season is going to be a constant battle of the offense having to score a ton of points to make up for a defense that's mediocre at best.

SF receivers don't scare me too much since the secondary is the strength of the defense but the SF running game and Kittle would be giving me nightmares if I was Joe Barry.

Members online

Latest posts