OFFICIAL Mike McCarthy Took Back Play callin

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this board's going to go crazy this week full of psychos raving about blowing the team up and making all kinds of extreme moves, I'm not going to go for that and I don't for one minute even after this loss think that this team is unsalvageable, I really think we will get the monster under control. There'll be plenty other threads going on around here going off on Capers so please keep that talk out of this thread. But I do think Tom Clements and Edgar Bennet are really struggling with this play calling stuff and really are struggling to get these guys going in the right direction. There's been some things, some of them little but some more major that have really stood out to me this year that to me have been bad signs of this :

1. Play clock always ticking down super far before Rodgers snaps it -- I swear in every game every year I've seen before this, I don't ever remember Rodgers having to try and hurry up to get that snap off or have to unnecessarily burn timeouts like he's had to do at exorbitant rates this year. There is clearly a dysfunction in the huddle with players understanding their assignments and what the play is, and I don't recall this ever being a problem when Mike McCarthy ran things.

2. I saw wide receivers today look like they were having some confusion about routes too. And these are vets we're talking about, or at least people who've been here long enough that they should know where they're going on a play, and what's going on.

3. Protection assignment issues -- no doubt Bahktiari and Lindsley struggled today and have to get better or be replaced, but really seems like there's some confusion there too over who should pick up who. I have not seen that go on at that rate since Mike McCarthy was running things here, and this year this whole thing just seems way off.

I really think those of you who kept complaining about Mike McCarthy's play calling last year owe him a big time apology. You clamored for him to lose the play calling, he did that, and now we're paying for it.

MM, please if you can here us, please intervene and take back the offensive management.

Narveson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Play clock always ticking down super far before Rodgers snaps it -- I swear in every game every year I've seen before this, I don't ever remember Rodgers having to try and hurry up to get that snap off or have to unnecessarily burn timeouts like he's had to do at exorbitant rates this year. There is clearly a dysfunction in the huddle with players understanding their assignments and what the play is, and I don't recall this ever being a problem when Mike McCarthy ran things.

Where have you been? Rodgers has been burning timeouts since he's been a starter.

Bottom line, until this team can play Packers football on the road against a good team, it's going to be more of the same. They'll make the playoffs and as soon as they have to play on the road, they'll fold.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where have you been? Rodgers has been burning timeouts since he's been a starter.

Bottom line, until this team can play Packers football on the road against a good team, it's going to be more of the same. They'll make the playoffs and as soon as they have to play on the road, they'll fold.

Dude come on, you cannot tell me our struggles in getting the ball off before the play clock expires have not been noticeably bigger this year than in year's past.

It's almost as bad as the 2012 Saints team that did the same thing when Sean Payton got suspended. I know what I'm talking about here.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this board's going to go crazy this week full of psychos raving about blowing the team up and making all kinds of extreme moves, I'm not going to go for that and I don't for one minute even after this loss think that this team is unsalvageable, I really think we will get the monster under control. There'll be plenty other threads going on around here going off on Capers so please keep that talk out of this thread. But I do think Tom Clements and Edgar Bennet are really struggling with this play calling stuff and really are struggling to get these guys going in the right direction. There's been some things, some of them little but some more major that have really stood out to me this year that to me have been bad signs of this :

2. I saw wide receivers today look like they were having some confusion about routes too. And these are vets we're talking about, or at least people who've been here long enough that they should know where they're going on a play, and what's going on.

3. Protection assignment issues -- no doubt Bahktiari and Lindsley struggled today and have to get better or be replaced, but really seems like there's some confusion there too over who should pick up who. I have not seen that go on at that rate since Mike McCarthy was running things here, and this year this whole thing just seems way off.

I really think those of you who kept complaining about Mike McCarthy's play calling last year owe him a big time apology. You clamored for him to lose the play calling, he did that, and now we're paying for it.

MM, please if you can here us, please intervene and take back the offensive management.

I don't see the corrlation between play calling and confusion in protection and route running.

Just because a player messes up an assignment doesn't mean the play call was bad.

Narveson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude come on, you cannot tell me our struggles in getting the ball off before the play clock expires have not been noticeably bigger this year than in year's past.

It's almost as bad as the 2012 Saints team that did the same thing when Sean Payton got suspended. I know what I'm talking about here.

Rodgers has always done this. You're only noticing now is because the offense is in a funk. Last year, he would do the same thing and out of the timeout, nail Nelson for a deep TD.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Won't happen and your seeing things nit there

6 games was all working. Now it sucks?

Jj game back with out skipping a beat.. If clements wasn't similar to mm jj wouldn't have been so good with under a week to go

It isn't going to change

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it'd be worth the coaching staff considering giving MM the play calling back (I always thought he was a good play caller) but I don't see it happening.

Reaction score
It's loud n clear when the backfield is trying to figure out what the play is by asking the QB, this happened multiple times today AND multiple times in the same play and not just when switching up plays last second.
Also We missed routes several times to boot multiple games this season, that's a 1st couple of games thing, this stuff shouldn't be happening game 8 Something doesn't smell right, and we need to find out expeditiously
It looks like games 1-2 we had training wheels, once they came off we've been weaving back n forth banging into guard rails since. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it

Reaction score
Won't happen and your seeing things nit there

6 games was all working. Now it sucks?

Jj game back with out skipping a beat.. If clements wasn't similar to mm jj wouldn't have been so good with under a week to go

It isn't going to change
It's hard to accept but we scored 19pts a game Last 4 games! until our catch up game today. That doesn't cut it in this league. If we go on ignoring it and pretending we're ok, were gonna train wreck.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's hard to accept but we scored 19pts a game Last 4 games! until our catch up game today. That doesn't cut it in this league. If we go on ignoring it and pretending we're ok, were gonna train wreck.
So why were we so good 1st 5 weeks

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's loud n clear when the backfield is trying to figure out what the play is by asking the QB, this happened multiple times today AND multiple times in the same play and not just when switching up plays last second.
Also We missed routes several times to boot multiple games this season, that's a 1st couple of games thing, this stuff shouldn't be happening game 8 Something doesn't smell right, and we need to find out expeditiously
It looks like games 1-2 we had training wheels, once they came off we've been weaving back n forth banging into guard rails since. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it

Exactly, this is what I'm talking about and people cannot just say this stuff happened all the time under MM managing this.

Mike McCarthy took the keys and gave them to Clements.

And playcalling isn't just scratching up plays on a doodle pad and putting them in the QB's headset. The players gotta know where to go and it should not be taking 30 seconds in the huddle to figure out what they're doing.

Mike McCarthy took the hands off and let Clements completely run this. The reason people have been complaining about schemes and routes and all that is because Tom Clements draws em up now and not MM.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've noticed this the past 3 seasons. At least once a game, and usually more like once a half we burn a timeout this way. This isn't just this season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And playcalling isn't just scratching up plays on a doodle pad and putting them in the QB's headset. The players gotta know where to go and it should not be taking 30 seconds in the huddle to figure out what they're doing.

Exactly..

So all training camp... Pre season..then. 5 games we looked good..

Now all of a sudden it's an issue?

Why didn't this happen 1st 5 games.

Why didn't jj have issues with only 5 days practice..
Because it isn't play calling..

Its either Def are scheming really good or we aren't focused

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The final offensive play for the Packers was a perfect play call, executed to perfection, minus the offensive line and Rodgers didn't have a chance to even look his way. It was a perfect example of what is wrong with this team. Call any play you want, blocking and protections like that will get you nowhere.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The final offensive play for the Packers was a perfect play call, executed to perfection, minus the offensive line and Rodgers didn't have a chance to even look his way. It was a perfect example of what is wrong with this team. Call any play you want, blocking and protections like that will get you nowhere.[/QUOTE

Bingo

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is only as good as the offense. Firing Capers isn't going to suddenly fix our 3 & out issues, and lack of rest for our defensive players. McCarthy calling plays isn't going to fix our issues with not being able to stretch the field vertically.

Losing Jordy hurt more for what he did without the ball in his hands, than what he did with it in his hands. Randall Cobb made his living in playing in the open spaces underneath, left open by secondaries having to respect Jordy's deep play ability. Lacy made his living when defenses left open running lanes because they had to account for Cobb from sideline to sideline. Rodgers and the OL benefited from lack of pressure due to more players having to play in coverage.

Take away the deep threat and this is what you get. A lack of respect for our passing game that results in more players being available to blitz Rodgers and stack the box against Lacy. If we can't find a serviceable replacement to stretch defenses vertically, nothing is going to change within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, and only then will things change for this team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would argue that if you take out the big free offsides etc. plays we got earlier in the season, our offense has been VERY mediocre all season.

I dont think its that easy...It isnt like it happened 5 times a game

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No changes need to be made for game day, but major changes appear to be necessary for pre-game preparation. Has McCarthy become less involved in that facet of the team? If so, he better take charge and do whatever it takes Tuesday-Saturday to right this ship and get everyone on the same page before game day.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No changes need to be made for game day, but major changes appear to be necessary for pre-game preparation. Has McCarthy become less involved in that facet of the team? If so, he better take charge and do whatever it takes Tuesday-Saturday to right this ship and get everyone on the same page before game day.

I admit I cannot speculate as to what degree McCarthy is involved or not. Obviously he wouldn't be totally out of the loop as he is the boss and does conduct practices and all that, but from what I was hearing certain commentators like Buck and Aikman say a few times during some games, and I think a few others, it sounds like the plays being drawn up and certain offense planning meetings are things he doesn't go to this year, so I'd say he is very much less involved in the offensive game plan aspects than he has been before.

Also even though he probably isn't going to grab the playbook and headset back from Clements during the game and call them into Rodgers's helmet, I do think a lot of people seriously underrate how good a play caller he is. Maybe I just didn't like it last year when people kept complaining about his play calling and game management that maybe I got MM glasses on, ok he isn't perfect. But I still think he is a very very underrated play caller.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So why were we so good 1st 5 weeks

We looked "good" for the first 5 games of the year for 2 reason, our opponents were inferior and/or we were at home.

Let's face it, the Packers and Rodgers (as well as most NFL teams) play a lot better at home. This is especially true for Rodgers, as he relies on pre-snap audibles.

I'm not saying the Packers are a bad team, but they got to 6-0 thanks to some weak teams and home cooking. Until they win against a good football team, on the road will I truly believe they have what it takes to go all the way. Because what they have showed the last two games, against good teams, on the road, they don't have what it takes to win all 4 quarters.

But back to the OP's question, I believe the Packers need a shake up at this point and if demoting Clements is that shake up and putting the play calling back in MM's hands is what it takes, I'm all for it. After all, the trade deadline passed, we don't have the ability to "upgrade" players and their skill levels too much at this point.

Last edited:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the corrlation between play calling and confusion in protection and route running.

Just because a player messes up an assignment doesn't mean the play call was bad.
I agree.
These aren't new plays that Clements just popped in on them.
These are plays that they have practiced over and over.
For some reason unknown to me the players just aren't executing.
Perhaps the poor offensive line play is the root of the problem.

At any rate I don't want McCarthy calling the plays ever again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is only as good as the offense. Firing Capers isn't going to suddenly fix our 3 & out issues, and lack of rest for our defensive players. McCarthy calling plays isn't going to fix our issues with not being able to stretch the field vertically.

Losing Jordy hurt more for what he did without the ball in his hands, than what he did with it in his hands. Randall Cobb made his living in playing in the open spaces underneath, left open by secondaries having to respect Jordy's deep play ability. Lacy made his living when defenses left open running lanes because they had to account for Cobb from sideline to sideline. Rodgers and the OL benefited from lack of pressure due to more players having to play in coverage.

Take away the deep threat and this is what you get. A lack of respect for our passing game that results in more players being available to blitz Rodgers and stack the box against Lacy. If we can't find a serviceable replacement to stretch defenses vertically, nothing is going to change within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, and only then will things change for this team.
let's get this clear, nobody is stacking the box. I saw one play yesterday where there were 8 in the box, and we went in a run formation with 2 FB's and did a bootleg to Ripkowski for a nice gain. Other than that, most of the game was 6, sometimes 7 in the box. That's NOT stacked. It's light or base.

and what good is a guy that can stretch the field going to do when we can't protect Rodgers long enough to complete a 5 yard route? Everything starts with this offensive line and to date they've been very much below average across it. From tackle to tackle and everyone in between. Get your offensive line working adequately and will be fine.

Members online

Latest posts