OFFICIAL Mike McCarthy Took Back Play callin

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently, there have been more low snaps from center than usual in the shotgun. The time that Rodgers has to look and crouch down, then straighten up and find his targets may not seem like a big deal, but it's a negative.
Noticed this also. Was about to post on it when I saw your post.

Reaction score
His hesitancy on making quick throws is mostly due to the fact that nobody is getting open when he is able to look down field and not scrambling around. The O-lines lack of being able to open holes for the run game is the second part of this. No running game allows the defense to not respect the line of scrimmage and devote its weapons to defending the pass.

Sorry, Packers O-line has sucked the last few games and I'm not going to blame Rodgers for that. Give him a running game and pass protection and you will see what he can do.
Thank You!
I'm gonna piggyback on that and say historically Aaron has been formidable against the blitz, so it can also be argued that under pressure he is above average in pressure. I can't count how many times we've watched him single handedly advance the chains for 1st downs. I know recently he was rushing for 5+ yards a carry which is considered too notch for a QB.
Its actually borderline annoying when I see what he's done for this franchise, but then a couple of bad games and he's suddenly the source of all problem for select fans, the same ones who will be supporting him when he's up a few weeks later.
I choose to support Aaron because I don't know of 1 contemporary QB that hasn't been ridiculed to some degree recently. I also don't care for wishy washy fans.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm really starting to question the validitity of stats coming from ESPN Stats & Information.

While I agree with them that a three-and-out should be considered a possession without a first down or a TD it makes absolutely no sense to include drives at the end of the half not even consisting of three plays.

In the Packers case that includes seven drives either at the end of a half or the game which shouldn't be considered as a three-and-out.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "running a unit" but the last half of last season, they were "handing guys off" to each other in the passing game and their run blocking was pretty good. So if the players have all of a sudden become bad, I guess Campen has all of a sudden forgot how he coached last season.

They also played hurt last season, so injuries apparently aren't the cause. Why the dropoff?

Sky King

Reaction score
They look stoppable because the opposing DCs are calling defenses as though they are plugged directly into the Packers' headsets. That may mean that they have become predictable, and also maybe in denial that they're being so. They look stale and uninspired, frustrated that everything that used to come easy has now become so difficult to achieve. Rodger's face has been a very good barometer of that. This is not a team that is currently brimming with confidence and swagger. We haven't seen Rodgers do the "belt" routine recently, and rightfully so.

I'm hopeful that they'll get this all figured out in-time for the ultimate post-season run. I'm just not as confident as I would prefer to be that they will get on-track anytime soon based upon their production over the last several weeks. I have the same look on my face right now that Rodgers has had.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
They also played hurt last season, so injuries apparently aren't the cause. Why the dropoff?
I think injuries are a factor and last year’s injuries aren’t necessarily equal to this years. Jason Wilde, who is closer to the team than any of us, on the Sidelines show mentioned that injuries are affecting both Bakhtiari and Bulaga. But it’s not only injuries. Wilde said – and I agree – Linsley played the worst game of his short career against Carolina. Sitton has looked ordinary for a few plays in each of the last couple of games and he’s one of the best OGs in the league. Over the second half of last season even when the OTs struggled some, the interior of the OL always provided Rodgers with opportunity to step up in the pocket. I have no idea why they’ve been inconsistent. As has been mentioned on this board, in addition to the struggles of the OL, the RBs – particularly Lacy – have struggled. The receivers haven’t been winning their one-on-one matchups. Incredibly, the Packers have missed Quarless because of (what I see as) the regression of R Rodgers. And even when given time, even when receivers are open A Rodgers has held the ball too long resulting in sacks, has played tentatively, and has been uncharacteristically inaccurate. Finally the coaching staff has not game planned to keep the chains moving as opposed to taking shots downfield. In sum, it’s been a perfect **** storm with every element involved on offense contributing to the mess.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we have no idea or explanations for what the problem is, it's a good bet that there are a combination of factors and more than one problem at work. We'll see if they have answers, starting today.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Troy Aikman has called out Clements for this nonsense and he needs to have his playcalling duties revoked.

MM please do not let him call anymore plays and take it back. We've had enough of this garbage.

realist4pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as play calling I am not sure if it's that or our O-line and Rodgers. I say we see what happens with Detroit. IF we lose, continue stalling then yes a change is needed.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clements is friggin garbage, I want him fired NOW!!! This is unacceptable and the worst play calling I've ever seen in Packer history. He needs to get chucked out the door along with his garbage playbook.

Last edited:

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
Now I totally back up what I said about Adams he is so inconsistent and had way too many targets. Something needs to be done about this offense. This is ridiculous.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clements is friggin garbage, I wan him fired NOW!!! This is unacceptable and the worst play calling I've ever seen in Packer history. He needs to get chucked out the door along with his garbage playbook.
I'm usually against the whole "fire ___" bandwagon but I really think we need to let him go or demote him or something. Unacceptable is correct.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, Troy Aikman called him out for this and he knows bad play calling when he sees it.

There is absolutely no reason for only 3 points in a half against a god awful no-defense Lions team and Clements is totally clueless out there and can't manage to call a good play to save his life.

I thought Sherman Lewis was bad here in 1999 when he was stinking up this place with garbage calls, this guy just takes the cake and is 100% to blame for Rodgers's struggles. I want to hear MM say in the press conference that they pink-slipped his butt out of Green Bay TODAY.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, Troy Aikman called him out for this and he knows bad play calling when he sees it.

There is absolutely no reason for only 3 points in a half against a god awful no-defense Lions team and Clements is totally clueless out there and can't manage to call a good play to save his life.

I thought Sherman Lewis was bad here in 1999 when he was stinking up this place with garbage calls, this guy just takes the cake and is 100% to blame for Rodgers's struggles. I want to here MM say in the press conference that they pink-slipped his butt out of Green Bay TODAY.

Missed throws were a big part of those 3 points also.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Missed throws were a big part of those 3 points also.

Due to a stinking scheme, not calling out enough 5-wide empty set formation or isolation patterns.

And what was that stupid stupid draw play called with 1:30 left to go in the half? Does this idiot even know how to run a friggin 2 minute offense?

I'm going to lose it if he calls 1 more game for us. ENOUGH of this already!!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Missed throws, badly. Missed catches by Adams and Cobb. Missed blocks. The line did better but when it counted they still can't figure out how to stop the guy coming right up the middle.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
Due to a stinking scheme, not calling out enough 5-wide empty set formation or isolation patterns.

And what was that stupid stupid draw play called with 1:30 left to go in the half? Does this idiot even know how to run a friggin 2 minute offense?

I will as well! I'm so tired of seeing this.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In your first sentence, are you trying to say scheme made Rodgers miss open guys?

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
Rodgers did miss throws he would usually make. There were too many drops. But the past THREE games was lost at play calling.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

These types of posts are hard to have conversations about. Was it scheme that made Cobb take his eyes off the ball and cause the Packers to punt rather than a first down or potential touchdown? Or how about scheme causing Rodgers to throw them in the dirt? I though McNabb was out there. He missed more throws badly today than I think I've seen him have in a season. How about a scheme to help Adams catch the ball.

There's no doubt things aren't working right now and if you really think scheme is going to fix players not making plays, then tell us how. Or are you trying to imply that Clements doesn't know how to coach Rodgers?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In your first sentence, are you trying to say scheme made Rodgers miss open guys?

No but jeez, why are we waiting till the 4th quarter to launch an all-out aerial attack on teams after going in this shell of ultra conservativism?

Clements is running an archaic 1980's based offense that he must think has Walter Payton in the backfield or something because he has no clue how to manage drives. Proof is in the pudding out there and you cannot blame any fans in that stadium for booing today or for complaining about watching this. Look at the chiefs already scoring 10 on Denver and they don't even got half our weapons.

This is ridiculous and Clements stinks to high heaven.

Members online

Latest posts