OFFICIAL Mike McCarthy Took Back Play callin

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think JJ thrives in the red zone. But the only thing I see about Cobb playing the outside is his Height. Now he a great WR and very quick, but do you think that hinders him? Also the thing with R.Rodgers I noticed is he doesn't finish his routes. I believe Joe Buck or Troy Aikmen commented on it as well. Idk if he is over thinking it or what but he isn't a strong TE.

I never said it would be ideal but I think it would be most efficient. No doubt Cobb demands the most attention and has the physical ability to press secondaries better. Sure his height might be an issue, but so would his speed to opposing teams.

IMO, it's the best with what we have.

As for R.Rodgers, I completely agree which is why you don't ask more than you need to from him. Keep him underneath and let him press LB's.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would be correct if we were a power running team. We are not. We have a power back, but we are not power running team. Our OL is predicated around Aaron Rodgers and the passing game. They are better at building walls in front of Aaron Rodgers than they are opening holes to run through. That is just the nature of our offense. Hell, one of the main reasons we drafted Lacy is for his size and ability to gain yards after contact because we knew our OL would never be elite in man blocking. As a matter of fact, we have pulled teeth trying to incorporate more man blocking and less zone blocking, with the running game. That OL leans just as much on the offenses ability to make defenses respect the passing game thus spreading the line of scrimmage and naturally opening up holes for them, than it does their ability to open said holes themselves. 6 men committing to the box against GB means we aren't doing enough in our passing game. I fully expect 4 down lineman and a spy, when Rodgers & Co have defenses on their heels.
i know we can't run on 6, that's our problem. 6 in the box still leaves 5 guys to cover our 3WR and if they blitz a LB, then we have to find the TE or RB because there must be an area he vacated, but that is still 5 guys to cover 3 on the backend and still leaves 4-5 rushing the passer. Our problem isn't that we don't have a deep threat because they'd still have 5 covering our 3 or 3 covering 3 and 2 roaming an area or deep threats, giving bracket help, shading to Cobb, whatever. Either way, if we can't keep the rush off our QB, a deep threat won't matter. and that's our issue, we can't stop 4 or 5 guys rushing and we can't beat 5 or 6 guys in the run game. when you aren't doing either, you have nothing. 6 guys in the box should be a 4 yard gain or more every time. If a team is requiring to see 4 and 5 man boxes to run the ball, they don't have a run game. and that's fine...IF you can keep your QB clean and can have success passing

I think Adams is athletic enough to catch passes, I think Cobb is quick enough and fast enough to get deep, or take a short one long. If we can get them in space we can move. But if we can't run on 6 guys and we can't contain 4 or 5 in a pass rush, i don't care who is on the field at the skill positions, it won't matter.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
I never said it would be ideal but I think it would be most efficient. No doubt Cobb demands the most attention and has the physical ability to press secondaries better. Sure his height might be an issue, but so would his speed to opposing teams.

IMO, it's the best with what we have.

As for R.Rodgers, I completely agree which is why you don't ask more than you need to from him. Keep him underneath and let him press LB's.

Yeah I wish Adam's hands were more trustworthy. Do you think they look for a TE in this years draft?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I wish Adam's hands were more trustworthy. Do you think they look for a TE in this years draft?

i feel you could practically guarantee they draft at least one tightend, but i have no clue at what position in the draft they'd take one.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
For TEs usually in the draft I feel you gotta get one early. Or you will end up with the same situation you currently have with Rodgers....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That list could be long depending on our own FA signings and how the year ends, so too early IMO to say what position will be drafted. I'm guessing Linebackers and Offensive Tackles will be high on the priority list.

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For TEs usually in the draft I feel you gotta get one early. Or you will end up with the same situation you currently have with Rodgers....

TE is one of those positions you don't waste an early pick on unless you know you're getting the next Gronk.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I could certainly get with that, but question is which TE in college football is currently seen as a huge commodity? I know there is another Gronkowski currently playing at KSU but I'm not so sure he's got his brother's athleticism.

Looking at receiving stat sheets on the NCAA page on espn, tight end doesn't seem like something big in this year's draft. Course one thing I wonder is are there any big WRs that could transition to the TE role and pick up the slack with some speed.

Bottom line, don't expect any Jermichael Finleys to go popping up here.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
I could certainly get with that, but question is which TE in college football is currently seen as a huge commodity? I know there is another Gronkowski currently playing at KSU but I'm not so sure he's got his brother's athleticism.

Looking at receiving stat sheets on the NCAA page on espn, tight end doesn't seem like something big in this year's draft. Course one thing I wonder is are there any big WRs that could transition to the TE role and pick up the slack with some speed.

Bottom line, don't expect any Jermichael Finleys to go popping up here.

Oh how Finley is missed... Unfortunate his career had to end how it did.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh how Finley is missed... Unfortunate his career had to end how it did.
I still think Finley was too hit-and-miss and always potential. Never lasted long enough to really shine.

And that's what I don't like about some fans, they mocked him for his drops and turned the other way when he made up for them with big plays. Most unappreciated TE if I ever saw one. But for what it is, when Finley has not been on the field, usually our TEs take the back seat in games.

Maybe some of the frustration on here about the play calling and what not is what people have said about the O-line. Is it really just a personnel issue going on up front, or is the issues that look like they are having trouble identifying who to block or protection audible confusion something going on in the coaching. Because watching from here it really does look like it's the latter going on. Something certainly has got to change here and someone's gotta get these guys on the same page because you cannot blame the natives for getting restless about offensive struggles.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe some of the frustration on here about the play calling and what not is what people have said about the O-line. Is it really just a personnel issue going on up front, or is the issues that look like they are having trouble identifying who to block or protection audible confusion something going on in the coaching. Because watching from here it really does look like it's the latter going on. Something certainly has got to change here and someone's gotta get these guys on the same page because you cannot blame the natives for getting restless about offensive struggles.
I recall hearing earlier this season as this being one of the best O-lines the Packers have had recently. If so, they aren't showing it. Linsley in a sophomore slump?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh, I'm getting a kick out of how it's now "Bring back McCarthy as play caller!", when last season there were so many complaints about his play calling.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
Almost every great offensive team has a good TE. It kind of seems like they are really needed in the NFL. I think they would just add one more great aspect to our offense. I know Finley had a lot of drops, but when he was on man he was great!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh, I'm getting a kick out of how it's now "Bring back McCarthy as play caller!", when last season there were so many complaints about his play calling.

Just a choice between Bad and Worse. Don't know enough to be aware of a third choice, but that person has my vote.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, Finley was about to take the next step when his career ended.
Hard to believe it's been 2 years since he took his last snap.

Reaction score
So why were we so good 1st 5 weeks
Longtime I'm gonna tell you what I believe is the truth. We weren't that good.
I wanna ad that I believe in our team and support them although we are clearly in a slump. I also believe we have a higher propensity than probably 25+ teams to improve.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I wish Adam's hands were more trustworthy.

Adams hands are fine.

Graham and Finley were third-round picks just like Rodgers. It's possible to find an impact tight end in the mid-rounds of the draft.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Longtime I'm gonna tell you what I believe is the truth. We weren't that good

Yeah, unfortunately, even I feel that way a little. I think the defense has had some off games and I think they will get back to playing good football, at some point. But you have to admit they did bail us out a little against Seattle, Chicago (somewhat) and even a little against San Diego with the Randall knockdown there. Even potentially gave the O the needed shot this last game with the interception leading up to our last drive.

But the other thing I think we've taken for granted and that seems to have come to the surface this year is the missing of our 5-minute game ending offense. We overlook how valuable that was in winning the games against New England, Atlanta, and the playoff game against Dallas last year. It's been missing this year and that's been tough to watch.

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately, even I feel that way a little. I think the defense has had some off games and I think they will get back to playing good football, at some point. But you have to admit they did bail us out a little against Seattle, Chicago (somewhat) and even a little against San Diego with the Randall knockdown there. Even potentially gave the O the needed shot this last game with the interception leading up to our last drive.

But the other thing I think we've taken for granted and that seems to have come to the surface this year is the missing of our 5-minute game ending offense. We overlook how valuable that was in winning the games against New England, Atlanta, and the playoff game against Dallas last year. It's been missing this year and that's been tough to watch.
Exactly. Carolina don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're bad I just recall last year blowing those similar strength teams we've played out, to the tune of the TV network switching games 3rd quarter multiple times (damn FOX!) because we were so far ahead. I'm actually pleased with our D overall because I feel like it has the potential to carry a game if our Offense flounders a quarter or 2

Sky King

Reaction score
If this is what we have to endure until they get hot (and healthy) at the end of the season, then I'm all for it. But one can't help to have doubts when the former sure thing on this team, the offense, is making just about everything they try look so difficult. Their confidence level is about as low as I can remember it being post-Lindy Infante. Not having the ability to move the ball consistently has been foreign to this offense for quite some time. It's been decades since we've seen this many three-and-outs strung together they way they have this season.

The STs are better, so that's a plus. The defense is what it has been for a while: short on playmakers and long on giving up yards and/or points. The defense is about what is expected since it is what it has been all along: flashes and gashes, but more of the latter.

I haven't lost hope. I'm just not as hopeful despite the 6-2 record. The needle has not been pointing in the right direction for the last few games and that's a huge disappointment and a bit of a surprise.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm actually pleased with our D overall because I feel like it has the potential to carry a game if our Offense flounders a quarter or 2

Completely disagree, I have no faith in the defense being able to carry the team against a good opponent.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. He seems to be fiddling around with the ball on many catches before securing it. That's unacceptable, since he's not really capable of more than being a possession receiver with a few decent moves in space.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
I agree. He seems to be fiddling around with the ball on many catches before securing it. That's unacceptable, since he's not really capable of more than being a possession receiver with a few decent moves in space.

Not like he has the worst hands ever...just not as reliable.