OFFICIAL Mike McCarthy Took Back Play callin

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps not playing the injured QB? Results (20/20 hindsight) certainly couldn't have been worse. Is that coaching?

Few of us have been saying that last few weeks

To answer both, it didn't seem to have come out until this week in the report, so yeah there was speculation about an injury, just wasn't confirmed until now. Also no I don't think it was a coaching thing, as in Rodgers probably did not report any injury he knew he had to the team trainers, or MM, so therefore they probably did not suggest any cautionary measures. Had they known or seen the true severity of it to the degree we saw on Sunday, they may have sat him. But I don't believe we know how long he's had it either.

But also as I've said, I'm certain it's in players' nature to try and hide these because naturally ... they want to play through it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To answer both, it didn't seem to have come out until this week in the report, so yeah there was speculation about an injury, just wasn't confirmed until now. Also no I don't think it was a coaching thing, as in Rodgers probably did not report any injury he knew he had to the team trainers, or MM, so therefore they probably did not suggest any cautionary measures. Had they known or seen the true severity of it to the degree we saw on Sunday, they may have sat him. But I don't believe we know how long he's had it either.

But also as I've said, I'm certain it's in players' nature to try and hide these because naturally ... they want to play through it.

I didnt think he was injured and hiding it..I was referring to your post

QB who normally can hit his receivers with pinpoint accuracy all the sudden having games where balls are sailing way over their heads and throwing them low or in the dirt

So maybe hurt is the reason why...I was never questioning an injury..Few of us only pointing out he was tossing in the ground of over throwing...And wondered why it was happening.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perhaps not playing the injured QB? Results (20/20 hindsight) certainly couldn't have been worse. Is that coaching?

As long as Rodgers is capable of playing on Sundays there´s absolutely no chance the Packers will start Tolzien.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubt about that. However, is it the right choice? I guess it depends on the definition of "capable of playing", or maybe even "capable of playing well". When discussing backup QBs, the standard answer is normally that they need someone to try and break even while AR recovers, since the season is lost of Aaron is. Depending on when this started, it might have been prudent to give it a try. However, again, agree with your statement.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think in the case of Rodgers, he plays through any injury unless its severely limits him or by doing so, he runs the risk of doing much more severe damage. I think his calf injury was an example of this, it didn't severely limit him and most of the damage was already done, not to mention it was at the end of the season when they needed him most.

I'm not questioning the shoulder thing, but I do wonder if releasing that information helps with getting the fan/media pressure off his back as to why his performances have been below expectations.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say Clements is not making up for O-line deficiencies, esp given that there are worse O-lines than ours such as New England's that are bad but not chugging the offense down.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what fascinates me. No matter who they line up at Oline, no matter injuries or how many combos they need to use, they keep racking up yards, big plays and points.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Asked this earlier in the week and didn't hear any responses, everyone seems to want to blame Clements and I am not saying he is blameless, but how about Edgar Bennett, he is the OC. Don't we all blame Capers when all or part of the Defense isn't playing well?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asked this earlier in the week and didn't hear any responses, everyone seems to want to blame Clements and I am not saying he is blameless, but how about Edgar Bennett, he is the OC. Don't we all blame Capers when all or part of the Defense isn't playing well?

This is the ultimate team game, so I pretty much blame everyone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is the ultimate team game, so I pretty much blame everyone.
I agree DNA and I hate to "blame" more then I like to know why. I'm not even sure what Edgar's role is as OC, since that has been Clements role for several years of high powered offense. I just would like to know what Edgar is in charge of VS Clements duties. Because if all Clements is doing is deciding which play to run at any particular moment and the plays are drawn up by Edgar, Clements can only be as good as the plays he is given.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Positional coaches and in this case maybe even Edgar tend to fly under the scrutiny of the fans and media radar when things go bad. Our DB's have a bad game, most want to blame Capers not Joe Whitt.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In defense of Tom Clements,

It's pretty tough to call plays when you can't run block pass protect, your receivers struggle to get separation and your quarterback feels uncomfortable throwing the ball early in the progression. Yesterday the play calls looked better with some very clever plays installed and IMHO we've been using more man beater routes than we have in years. It could be that that losing streak forced us to make changes that we should have made years ago.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Can. Anyone here tell us what edgars job responsiblites are

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I haven't heard any mention of ball inflation since DeflateGate. I know the league vowed to monitor the balls closer.

Remember, AR came out and said he prefers an over inflated ball...is proper inflation of the ball effecting his game? Doesn't seem to be effecting Brady's game. Just throwing that out there. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Can. Anyone here tell us what edgars job responsiblites are

Thanks for asking it again LTF. Only thing I can find is the "definition of a OC's duties":

"he represents the second level of command structure after the head coach. The offensive coordinator is in charge of the team's offensive game plan, and typically calls plays during the game (though some offensive-minded head coaches also handle play-calling)."

Given MM's most probable heavy hand in game planning and Clements calling plays, all I can conclude is the Edgar has a title but his duties could be just about anything below his pay grade?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In defense of Tom Clements,

It's pretty tough to call plays when you can't run block pass protect, your receivers struggle to get separation and your quarterback feels uncomfortable throwing the ball early in the progression. Yesterday the play calls looked better with some very clever plays installed and IMHO we've been using more man beater routes than we have in years. It could be that that losing streak forced us to make changes that we should have made years ago.
I think your defense of Clements includes a criticism: Why wasn't he calling 'better looking clever plays' and "using more man beater routes" earlier?

As for Bennett's job responsibilities the only thing we know for sure is his job title. As Pokerbrat wrote, he's third in line on the offensive side of the ball, behind McCarthy and Clements, which is unusual for an OC.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think your defense of Clements includes a criticism: Why wasn't he calling 'better looking clever plays' and "using more man beater routes" earlier?

This has been about my only criticism of Packer coaching for years, adjustments. Too often it seems like the opposing team make needed adjustments during the game (especially at half time) and our coaches are standing on the sideline (or sitting in the press box) wondering why their pregame schemes aren't working and stay pat. I am also aware that from my couch, this is an easy criticism to make.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I haven't heard any mention of ball inflation since DeflateGate. I know the league vowed to monitor the balls closer.

Remember, AR came out and said he prefers an over inflated ball...is proper inflation of the ball effecting his game? Doesn't seem to be effecting Brady's game. Just throwing that out there. :coffee:

I think Rodgers likes his balls big. ;) And Brady? Weeelllll......

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As for Bennett's job responsibilities the only thing we know for sure is his job title. As Pokerbrat wrote, he's third in line on the offensive side of the ball, behind McCarthy and Clements, which is unusual for an OC.

It does but it's hard to argue with production and results. With the right talent Green Bay had been a top offense for years, so in their mind why make the changes? I've criticized them for not employing more man beater routes and wish they would have done this following the 2013 season. However, I have to acknowledge that they have been employing more bunch sets, stack releases and natural pick plays of late.

I think part of the problem is getting Aaron Rodgers to buy into these changes.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Probably just a joke but I'll bite. There is no evidence that Rodgers ever went into a game with inflated balls. Apparently there is nothing wrong with his love life. An inflated ego perhaps but not balls. Rodgers could Pump It Up to whatever he wanted before the game but the NFL ball pressure police would double check them and deflate them to within the allowed standards. As some would have us believe Tom Brady discounted the double check and ordered further deflation and actually played games with softer balls than the league allows.

Kind of gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "grow a set will you"

Members online

Latest posts