OFFICIAL Mike McCarthy Took Back Play callin

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clements wasn't in charge of play calling before this year, so that is the one variable that has changed. So maybe under Clements these same guys (less Jordy) aren't firing on all cylinders. Only MM and TT probably really know if that change could be the key to the equation. On the surface, it doesn't seem logical that it is, since Clements has been in the system and appears to be using the same play book that MM used, but something isn't right. Hard to point the finger at 11 players and easier to point it at one coach I realize, but that coach is in charge of getting those 11 players prepared to play a full game each week and as of now, it doesn't seem like Clements is doing this.

Ditto

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Read the article link I posted above. Scheming receivers open allows for easier throws and easier catches. It's harder to catch a ball when the corner can tip the ball just as it gets to the receiver (see two point conversion vs Lions).

Specifically, the author of the referenced article writes:

"...Why don’t the Packers use more man-beaters and crossing concepts, especially against teams that play a ton of aggressive man coverage—like, say, the Broncos? That answer is locked somewhere in the Green Bay front office..."

Good article.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM per his press conference today, or so I've heard, seems to have indicated some kind of new thing is coming out the gate this week.

Premontre1969

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe the primary fault is play calling as much as the approach. Rogers laser focus on ball control seems to be inhibiting him from taking the calculated risks required to complete passes. Loosen up the inhibitions and let it flow. Approach the game from the outset as though we were behind in the 4th quarter. Let er rip!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just an impression I've gotten sometimes over the years; I sometimes think maybe MM is too much into too many details big and small that he sometimes gets bogged down and loses sight of the big picture.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just an impression I've gotten sometimes over the years; I sometimes think maybe MM is too much into too many details big and small that he sometimes gets bogged down and loses sight of the big picture.

Like not calling a timeout with 2:25 left in the game and letting the clock run down to the 2 minute warning?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Coaching 101. When behind, use timeouts on defense to conserve the clock, especially right before the 2 minute warning.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thing is, letting go of the play calling was supposed to fix that I thought?

D

Deleted member 6794

There has been a lot of focus on Clements and his play calling, but no where do I ever read Edgar Bennett's name brought up. As the Offensive Coordinator, is any of this on him? Thoughts?

I think all of the coaches and players deserve some blame for the offense struggling.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree Captain and I hope in a month we are all looking at this in our rear view mirrors. But if the struggles on offense continue, with virtually the same players (less Jordy) on the field from last year, one has to look long and hard at the coaching staff and what has changed from last year. Clements after all was the OC of a very successful offense until being "promoted" to his current position.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting this new info on Rodgers's shoulder injury that certainly has affected his throws. On his throwing shoulder and when that happens, better believe there's going to be some major errant ones.

Now that doesn't totally exonerate the offensive coaches from the struggles we've had on getting everyone on the same page, but I think with this new info out, there certainly is reason to maybe back off of them just a little.

D

Deleted member 6794

Getting this new info on Rodgers's shoulder injury that certainly has affected his throws. On his throwing shoulder and when that happens, better believe there's going to be some major errant ones.

Now that doesn't totally exonerate the offensive coaches from the struggles we've had on getting everyone on the same page, but I think with this new info out, there certainly is reason to maybe back off of them just a little.

There's no information about when Rodgers suffered the injury. I don't like using it as an excuse for the offense's struggles.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no information about when Rodgers suffered the injury. I don't like using it as an excuse for the offense's struggles.

No but when you got a QB who normally can hit his receivers with pinpoint accuracy all the sudden having games where balls are sailing way over their heads and throwing them low or in the dirt, this certainly does play a role in that.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps not playing the injured QB? Results (20/20 hindsight) certainly couldn't have been worse. Is that coaching?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No but when you got a QB who normally can hit his receivers with pinpoint accuracy all the sudden having games where balls are sailing way over their heads and throwing them low or in the dirt, this certainly does play a role in that.

Few of us have been saying that last few weeks

Members online

Latest posts