OFFICIAL Mike McCarthy Took Back Play callin

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“There’s no big something’s broke here,” McCarthy said. “We’ve got to do a better job on the little things. Particularly — if we make plays on the ball tonight, the outcome has a really good chance to change. That’s the difference between winning and losing in this league.”

“We’re not getting it done in the classroom,” McCarthy said after the defeat. “We have to demand more as coaches, and we have to make changes. So we’ll look hard at it. We’re not going to overreact to it. But there’s a pattern here in certain areas, and we need to adjust it or change it or emphasize. Whatever we need to do to play better.”

It's the little things.....nothing's broke here.....we're not going to overreact.....if we make the plays on the ball tonight, blah blah blah. You fail MM.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will just add. Looking in from the outside, I get no sense of accountability, or urgency or motivation either in the players or the coaches. Davonte Adams should be benched. That's accountability. If you don't perform, you sit until you show you can do it. But no, we don't trust Janis enough. Well guess what--that attitude has produced a 7-4 team in a downward spiral that is very, very lucky to still be above .500 and soon won't be if this keeps up.

Rodgers is bewildered, everybody is bewildered, but McCarthy does nothing but blather about the little things. Little things are connected to big things too. Somebody in this organization has to be decisive, but nobody is right now. They're waving the magic wand of empty words about playing better and "making a few adjustments" and hoping that things will just get better.

I try to stave off the pessimism, but something about the attitudes of the present organization tells me that I shouldn't hope too much for another Super Bowl anytime soon.

Last edited:

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's get another thing clear: Placing 6 guys in run support against any GB team, I consider stacking the box. Bringing 5 or even 6 on a pass rush, I consider stacking in the box against GB. Stay in denial if you like and place whatever 'base' or 'light' labels you'd like. We are not pressing defenses like we should because they frankly don't respect our big play ability right now. I have never seen GB receivers being pressed at the LOS as much as I have the last 2 weeks. I have never seen as many blitz packages against Rodgers as I have this year. Every single bit of it is because of our inability to stretch the field.

Give us the NFC pro-bowl OL and we would see the same.
Your post has hit the facts right on the head we just can't stretch the field now more then ever and teams know it !

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Your post has hit the facts right on the head we just can't stretch the field now more then ever and teams know it !
From one old timer to another, welcome to the board, Rick 12. However considering "placing 6 guys in run support against any GB team" as stacking the box is not only not a fact, it's incorrect. Stacking the box is having more than 7 defenders (since base D is 4-3 or 3-4) in the box. And bringing 5 or 6 on a pass rush is called a blitz, not stacking the box.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think you need to look for another analogy. :) Play the lotto once, that might be enough. Play it every week, the odds don't go up. Of course, as regards the Packers, they have to start someplace.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will just add. Looking in from the outside, I get no sense of accountability, or urgency or motivation either in the players or the coaches. Davonte Adams should be benched. That's accountability. If you don't perform, you sit until you show you can do it. But no, we don't trust Janis enough. Well guess what--that attitude has produced a 7-4 team in a downward spiral that is very, very lucky to still be above .500 and soon won't be if this keeps up.

Rodgers is bewildered, everybody is bewildered, but McCarthy does nothing but blather about the little things. Little things are connected to big things too. Somebody in this organization has to be decisive, but nobody is right now. They're waving the magic wand of empty words about playing better and "making a few adjustments" and hoping that things will just get better.

I try to stave off the pessimism, but something about the attitudes of the present organization tells me that I shouldn't hope too much for another Super Bowl anytime soon.

How do we as fans know that Janis isn't failing during practice? The coaches don't want to lose games. I'm pretty sure that if Janis was doing better in practice than Adams, then Janis would be starting over Adams. Or maybe Rodgers and McCarthy like losing.

D

Deleted member 6794

How do we as fans know that Janis isn't failing during practice? The coaches don't want to lose games. I'm pretty sure that if Janis was doing better in practice than Adams, then Janis would be starting over Adams. Or maybe Rodgers and McCarthy like losing.

With the offense struggling mightily the coaching staff has to use all the weapons they have available. I highly doubt they can't get Janis to at least use his speed on some routes to stretch defenses, making it easier to open up short to intermediate passing lanes.

Adams has been a huge disappointment this season. I don't care about him shining in practice as long as that doesn't translate to success on game day. I really have a hard time believing Janis could do any worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the offense struggling mightily the coaching staff has to use all the weapons they have available. I highly doubt they can't get Janis to at least use his speed on some routes to stretch defenses, making it easier to open up short to intermediate passing lanes.

Adams has been a huge disappointment this season. I don't care about him shining in practice as long as that doesn't translate to success on game day. I really have a hard time believing Janis could do any worse.

If a guy does poorly in practice then a coach can't build a gameplan with that player. I completely understand why fans love the idea of a "gamer", because fans generally assume that the unknown guy is actually a pro bowl guy if only the coaches would give him a shot in a live game! Well, if that player doesn't earn the chance in practice then what does it show all the other players if the coach just puts him in the game anyway? Why would any player have to practice hard if practice doesn't matter?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If a guy does poorly in practice then a coach can't build a gameplan with that player.

I agree with you Sunshine. However, I think most fans are screaming for Janis right now just as a "what do you have to lose, Adams sucks" kind of thing. Looking for something to jump start an offense that appears to be on life support. Not many other options at this point. IMO with everything you read and hear about Janis, its a hail mary but who knows, maybe Janis 60 yards deep is just what the Packers need right now.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this moment Rodgers has already released the ball. No matter what McCarthy or Rodgers said in their press conference it's nearly impossible for Adams to get by Prosinski and in front of Porter before the ball arrives at the designated spot.
Capt: It looks like Adams is braking to avoid contact with the defensive back, which a good receiver simply won't do. But you're right--Rogers is open on the out route.

D

Deleted member 6794

If a guy does poorly in practice then a coach can't build a gameplan with that player. I completely understand why fans love the idea of a "gamer", because fans generally assume that the unknown guy is actually a pro bowl guy if only the coaches would give him a shot in a live game! Well, if that player doesn't earn the chance in practice then what does it show all the other players if the coach just puts him in the game anyway? Why would any player have to practice hard if practice doesn't matter?

I agree that under normal circumstances players that perform in practice should get the majority of the playing time. The Packers offense has to make some major improvements on game day though and as of right now Janis is most likely the only one capable of providing a deep threat. I don't want the coaching staff to have him run the entire route tree but he should be able to use his speed to get deep.

Capt: It looks like Adams is braking to avoid contact with the defensive back, which a good receiver simply won't do. But you're right--Rogers is open on the out route.

There's no doubt Adams ran a terrible route but at the time Rodgers released the ball it should have been obvious to him that Porter would intercept it.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows what kind of overhauling it's going to take to fix this this offseason. I really hate to even be talking about next season at this point but this has just felt like a lost cause lately, mostly from just a lack of those bread and butter plays that in the past seemed to be made no problem in the passing game. As of right now since it would seem this late in the season, no changes will be made to play calling and all we can hope is that Adams gets benched and Janis and Abby get to play and hopes staked on Mont returning, it's just not looking good.

PackerinATL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I keep posting....but I need somewhere to vent my displeasure with the playcalling. Good grief.

Reaction score
Clements is the problem...the play calling...the protections...the schemes are all wrong....the only time they are in sync is when AR goes off the scheme and ad libs...then they have energy and make plays.

McCarthy is taking a larger role...and honestly can see after the Lions game tonight there will be changes.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts