OFFICIAL Mike McCarthy Took Back Play callin

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the things that I haven noticed in the past few games is the skittish play calls by Tom Clements. Remember last year when we would watch those quick slants where Rodgers would release the ball in under a second? What happened to that. Mike needs to call the plays so that Tom Clements stops with these skittish short screen plays that seem to work. But not over and over again.

See, this is exactly what I mean. Why are people continuing to push the envelope that Clements is just simply calling the exact same stuff as MM is when stuff like this is just disappearing into thin air? MM's philosophy has always been thriving on plays like that, but he gave up the play calling duties and since then, our WRs have been running those faulty routes and our old ways of those quick release plays have disappeared.

Unless MM just completely threw his old play book away and told the coordinators to call something from the old Bill Walsh book, I'm putting these garbage new routes on Clements and Bennett.

D

Deleted member 6794

As to players on this team, Richard Rodgers, I'm sorry but you're done, you're not cutting it and you and James Starks both should not be back next season.

Starks is an excellent back-up RB, no reason not to bring him back.

I agree with Croak...Adams seems to have a case of dropsie and throwing to him continually hasn't solved it. Cobb also has spurts of the same affliction. Maybe TT needed to set out and trade for a number one WR.

The trade deadline passed several weeks ago, Thompson can't trade for any help this season.

Anybody care to tell me what route and pass was called on the INT?

That play was terribly executed with Adams not getting a clean release and Rodgers throwing to the wrong guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know what play it was, it was rhetorical. Something about never running quick slants that get the ball quick....

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
MM's philosophy has always been thriving on plays like that, but he gave up the play calling duties and since then, our WRs have been running those faulty routes and our old ways of those quick release plays have disappeared.
But this has nothing to do with using the play clock. BTW, many times they do that so they can see what the D is planning on that play. What bothers me is having to call time outs because either the play caller didn't get the play in on time, the OC doesn't hike it, or Rodgers doesn't notice it until it's too late. But that happened with McCarthy calling the plays too.

One reason for the lack of slant routes IMO is the lack of a deep threat which encourages tighter coverage at the LOS and the WRs inability to cleanly get off of the LOS. It seems they've been somewhat replace with WR screens, which also require quick throws.

As I remember it, the INT play wasn't a slant but a quick (what we used to call) square-in. Adams bumped into a defender and made a feeble attempt to fight through the contact.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But this has nothing to do with using the play clock. BTW, many times they do that so they can see what the D is planning on that play. What bothers me is having to call time outs because either the play caller didn't get the play in on time, the OC doesn't hike it, or Rodgers doesn't notice it until it's too late. But that happened with McCarthy calling the plays too.

Didn't say it did, but let's not pretend that MM has not put much more 2-minute style offenses in play in the past and that he shouldn't consider going back to that kind of strategy in how he runs his offenses. You can score more points doing that and I say get back to doing more of that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You can score more points doing that and I say get back to doing more of that.
You can also go 3 and out a lot and keep your defense on the field just that much longer. The Packers have run the hurry-up, the sugar huddle, full huddle all season with varying results from all 3. One question I have with running a no huddle a lot, you obviously have to get the play in to all 11 guys, I assume this is with hand signals and/or verbals from Rodgers. So I ask, how do you keep the defense from not picking up on these things, either from game to game or just during the game when the same play is run a few times. The answer might explain why defenses seem to know exactly what we are doing most plays.

D

Deleted member 6794

You can also go 3 and out a lot and keep your defense on the field just that much longer. The Packers have run the hurry-up, the sugar huddle, full huddle all season with varying results from all 3. One question I have with running a no huddle a lot, you obviously have to get the play in to all 11 guys, I assume this is with hand signals and/or verbals from Rodgers. So I ask, how do you keep the defense from not picking up on these things, either from game to game or just during the game when the same play is run a few times. the answer might explain why defenses seem to know exactly what we are doing most plays.

Another thing to consider is the offense not being able to substitute while not using a huddle.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
With regard to using the play clock”
Didn't say it did…
You certainly did on a previous post:
No more using almost the full 40 seconds on the playclock. Mike McCarthy needs to force Clements to run a no-huddle on every single drive and allow him only 5 seconds at most to call the next play. This needs to happen on every drive because the stupid rhetoric that you have to prolong drives to give your D a rest is faulty garbage. There's only one kind of good offense and that's a quick strike offense. Run the no-huddle on every single play, us fans demand it, we need to use it as it will completely gas our opponents' defensive lines and render them ineffective all game.
Someone rated this post as funny. If you didn’t intend it to be, IMO you went way overboard in suggesting they don’t use all of the play clock.
Didn't say it did, but let's not pretend that MM has not put much more 2-minute style offenses in play in the past and that he shouldn't consider going back to that kind of strategy in how he runs his offenses. You can score more points doing that and I say get back to doing more of that.
I think that’s wrong for reasons already mentioned. As we’ve discussed, I’d like to see more combination/man-beater routes. BTW, the call against Jones on the goal line was complete BS – if that was a pick, he completely missed on picking the defender.

Packerlover29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody care to tell me what route and pass was called on the INT?

The play call could have potentially worked if Davonte Adams looked like he was actually trying to catch the football. Aaron threw that pass because it looked as if he had some extra faith in the second year WR. Adams looked lazy on the route and has been the most inconsistent wide receiver I've seen in quite some time.

Packerlover29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody needs to step it up on offense besides Rodgers. I would like to see what Jeff Janis can do. He seems to be a more than capable wide receiver with a lot of quickness. In the chargers game he had 2 receptions for 79 yards. With Nelson out, Janis is somebody that I believe can possibly take the spotlight.

D

Deleted member 6794

Adams stopped and Rodgers threw where he was suppose to be.

Mm and Rodgers both said it

If you take another look at the play you realize that it would have been incredibly tough for Adams to make it there in time to catch the ball even without being slowed by a defensive back. Richard Rodgers on the other hand was open.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams has repeatedly failed to fight through coverage on his routes. This play was another example.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If you take another look at the play you realize that it would have been incredibly tough for Adams to make it there in time to catch the ball even without being slowed by a defensive back. Richard Rodgers on the other hand was open.

Maybe where he ran is why he got in trouble

As they stated in pc..

He ran wrong route...I'll go by what they said..

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe where he ran is why he got in trouble

As they stated in pc..

He ran wrong route...I'll go by what they said..

There's no doubt that Adams didn't execute the play properly but Rodgers missed an open receiver on it as well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no doubt that Adams didn't execute the play properly but Rodgers missed an open receiver on it as well.

Rodgers threw it to Adams...

Woulda could shoulda..wasn't that said to me other day..

Lets stick to the absolute fact that rodgers threw it to Adams and Adams ran wrong route according to mm

D

Deleted member 6794

At this moment Rodgers has already released the ball. No matter what McCarthy or Rodgers said in their press conference it's nearly impossible for Adams to get by Prosinski and in front of Porter before the ball arrives at the designated spot.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 113

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
At this moment Rodgers has already released the ball. No matter what McCarthy or Rodgers said in their press conference it's nearly impossible for Adams to get by Prosinski and in front of Porter before the ball arrives at the designated spot.

Again

I'll allow myself to trust the coach and Rodgers...they rarely call out a player..

Sometimes it's ok to be wrong and let things drop

D

Deleted member 6794

Again

I'll allow myself to trust the coach and Rodgers...they rarely call out a player..

Sometimes it's ok to be wrong and let things drop

I don't need McCarthy or Rodgers telling me that on that play (take a look at the photo) it would have been way easier to complete a pass to Richard Rodgers.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not an MM fan. I think he is a dope. I really don't want him calling plays. The play calling would be better if the damn recievers would catch the ball.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone is focusing on Adams (and he deserves quite a bit of blame) but Randall Cobb is by far the larger disappointment this year. Randall Cobb was supposed to be one of the best receivers in the NFL. Randall Cobb, among WRs with at least 25% of the team's targets (so only looking at WRs that play a lot), is ranked 50th in yards per route run. Randall Cobb is averaging 1.45 yards per route run. I think everyone can agree that Jordan Matthews has been pretty bad for the Eagles this year....Jordan Matthews is averaging 1.60 yards per route.

Before people start talking about Cobb's role as a slot receiver, let's look at yards per route from the slot. Randall Cobb is averaging 1.48 yards per route from the slot (slightly higher than overall because 10% of his snaps are not from the slot). Larry Fitzgerald plays 60% of his snaps from the slot and he averages 2.34 yards per route run from the slot.

So, yes, Adams has terrible hands and his confidence is shot. James Jones just can't run anymore. Randall Cobb is being paid more than 3.5 times than both those guys combined. I used to think that Cobb was an elite WR. However, now I'm wondering if he is. Because there are only two choices at this point. Either Cobb isn't nearly as good as thought or the coaching staff's history of uninspired offensive design is catching up to the team. I really don't think Edelman is that much better than Cobb, but just looking at what they do on the field, Edelman is far better than Cobb. Is that a result of Edleman just being better or does that difference come from the Patriots actually designing plays to get Edelman the ball? And the answer isn't to give playcalling back to McCarthy. The Packers have never been big on designing plays to help their receivers get open.

Latest posts