Official Love Those Badgers Thread!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gives them zero chance to win. Would have been better letting Groshek go back at QB and run a wildcat all game.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Flat out worst game in awhile. Even Paul Chryst seemed to concede defeat in that 3rd quarter. Either decide you are going to try and beat them strictly with the run game or air it out. But get down that big and you just have to go for it through the air and on 4th down from the opponents what 42?

Hornibook is the dud of the game for sure.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Stick a fork in the season, mid grade bowl game is the best the Badgers can hope for. Guess my expectations were too high with the Offensive Line and Wide Receivers. Along with zero development and injuries to Hornibrook, that offense has no energy unless Taylor breaks one. Even Chryst's coaching was conservative and predictable this season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a problem when they put 8-9 in the box and you can’t come within 7 yards of a receiver. I don’t understand how WI can never get a decent QB to come here.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It’s a problem when they put 8-9 in the box and you can’t come within 7 yards of a receiver. I don’t understand how WI can never get a decent QB to come here.
IF you were a QB with aspirations to go Pro, would you want to play at the UW, a predominately run oriented offense?

The Badgers are pretty high on a top recruit for next year, 6' 4" Pro Style QB Graham Mertz. Now let's hope he doesn't uncommit after watching the train wreck that the passing game has become for the Badgers this year.

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/20...tball-recruiting-graham-mertz-kansas-playoffs

What has to fire up Badger fans is to look at the list of schools that offered Mertz!!

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/graham-mertz-183838#school-interests

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I would. It's not as if WI hasn't had QB's go pro. Sure some as just backups mostly, but then that's better than most college programs. and the one decent QB we had here, is one of the better QB's in the NFL as well. Think of how good anyone of these guys could look at WI. They'd be so damn efficient they'd set all sorts of records for College. Winning big bowl games and getting to the national championship type games gets attention. going 17-20 with a defense crushing play action game with big yards and a few TD's every week would go a long ways to getting you attention.

there were guys open all over the place yesterday and all a QB has to do is stand there and throw a catchable ball. That's it. Instead we get underthrows, overthrows, WTF was that throws. The Badgers still throw the ball 20-30 times a game, which is more than enough to get attention. and you have an opportunity to throw against favorable matchups every time you do. We don't need a star collegiate QB, we just need capable and efficient.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Stick a fork in the season, mid grade bowl game is the best the Badgers can hope for. Guess my expectations were too high with the Offensive Line and Wide Receivers. Along with zero development and injuries to Hornibrook, that offense has no energy unless Taylor breaks one. Even Chryst's coaching was conservative and predictable this season.
Just a note. quintez cephus top wr left the team for legal issues

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup, he is being charged with 2nd and 3rd degree ****** assault. While that may have been a distraction before the season started, I don't think they lost that much without him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, that sucked, but would it have mattered? I see open guys and a QB that can't come within 5 yards of hitting them sometimes. Closer sometimes, further away others and sometimes it's not bad. but overall, horribly inconsistent no matter who is back there with one having some streaks of decency and the other I guess is consistently bad.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
yeah, that sucked, but would it have mattered? I see open guys and a QB that can't come within 5 yards of hitting them sometimes. Closer sometimes, further away others and sometimes it's not bad. but overall, horribly inconsistent no matter who is back there with one having some streaks of decency and the other I guess is consistently bad.

With Taylor, Davis, Pryor and Dunn, I think the Badgers were just fine without Cephus. Given what the guy is being charged with, I don't even like talking about him.

I would point to a Junior QB (Hornibrook) not making the next step up in development, what was being talked about as THE top OL in the country under performing and Chryst/Rudolph staying really vanilla on offense, as the main reasons for a season that has disappointed those of us thinking that they might have a shot at the final 4 when the season begun.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the level of QB play, there’s only so much in the run game you can do. And when your best RB has a fumbling problem, it’s tough sledding to say the least

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What a game today and THAT is how you "coach without flinching". I will admit, when the Badgers were down 14, looked a bit like they had given up and Chryst seemed to just stick with the run game, I thought the Badgers were done. But PC put his trust in Jonathan Taylor, an inexperienced QB and his defense and WOW!

Was glad to see the Badgers win it in the 3rd OT, but I was kind of enjoying the game and secretly was hoping for a win in 8 OT's. :coffee:

Were 321 yds rushing enough to give Taylor the Heisman?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I missed it. Was at work.. I never thought they had a shot
The 4th quarter and beyond was well worth the watch! This freshman from Purdue, Rondale Moore was worth watching too. At only 5' 9" he is going to have to find a niche role in the NFL as a return guy and slot WR, but man he is good!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 4th quarter and beyond was well worth the watch! This freshman from Purdue, Rondale Moore was worth watching too. At only 5' 9" he is going to have to find a niche role in the NFL as a return guy and slot WR, but man he is good!
i was thinking the same thing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Flat out worst game in awhile. Even Paul Chryst seemed to concede defeat in that 3rd quarter. Either decide you are going to try and beat them strictly with the run game or air it out. But get down that big and you just have to go for it through the air and on 4th down from the opponents what 42?

Hornibook is the dud of the game for sure.
Can we re use this?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch, was driving back from IA during the game and listening on the radio. Didn't sound like I missed much that was good for the Badgers.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Can we re use this?

Yup...repeat and rinse.....Hornibrook was at his worst today.

I just hope highly recruited QB Graham Mertz doesn't flip and go elsewhere.

Chryst never had a QB coach until this year, as a former QB himself PC did it on his own until hiring former Badger QB Jon Budmayr last January to take over the duties. Might be time for Chryst to fire Budmayr and either go back to doing it himself or bring a qualified guy in. Hornibrook has shown absolutely zero development in his 3 years of playing for the Badgers.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nice way for the Badgers to end a pretty disappointing season last night. I had to chuckle at Miami's "Turnover chain"....I hope they handed that over to the Badgers after the game. :)

What I saw last night was one very well coached team, with a group of guys all coming together to win. Miami once again looked like a team with a load of talented players, but guys who don't function well as a team.

TJ Edwards just pushed his draft stock up with his performance, the guy is a beast at ILB. Not really sure how his transition to the NFL will go, but if Packer scouts like him, would love to see him lining up next to Martinez in the future.

Badger OL....their best game of the year. We will be seeing many of them on Sundays.

Jim Leonhard. Hard to put into words what he has done as the Badger DC. He seems to be able to just plug and play any guy and get them to perform. Sadly, he isn't going to last much longer simply as a DC in the college ranks.

Jonathan Taylor....yup he is running behind one of the best OL's in the Country, but hard to deny he isn't one of the best RB's in college football.

#OnWisconsin

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't watch it, but when shown the score my words were.. They must ran for hundreds of yards

What did they get passing? 76 yards?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Couldn't watch it, but when shown the score my words were.. They must ran for hundreds of yards

What did they get passing? 76 yards?
Something like that through the air. When they did pass, almost every completion seemed to be a "big play" for a first down or a TD. But yes, it was good old fashioned smash mouth football by the Badger offense. Line the hogs up and let them open big holes and then when your RB is being tackled, pile in and push him for 3-5 more yards.

Chryst called a smart game plan, Jack Coan is no second coming of Aaron Rodgers at QB and PC went with the strength of the team. But give Coan credit for making the big passes and runs when the offense needed him to.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts