OFFICIAL GREG JENNINGS TALK

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
…it is entirely presumptuous of you to try and explain to me what my decision making process would be in a given situation; even for such a base situation. It's greed because he's expecting too much money for the production he's put up to this point of his career.
You accuse Tbone of doing what you do regarding Jennings in the next sentence: ‘It is entirely presumptuous of you to try and explain Jennings’ decision making process...’ And why complain about Tbone's using the example your going to a different employer for more money? First, there’s nothing wrong with that and second, it’s not as if he impugned you personally – that’s an element of the free market. What is wrong with Jennings wanting to maximize his compensation? Jennings abided by the rules of the NFL, fulfilled his contract with the Packers and earned the right to shop his services to any team willing to bargain with him and that’s what he and his agent are doing. Just as you have a right to offer an opinion on what Jennings’ economic value is to an NFL team, so does Jennings and his agent. Trying to maximize one’s compensation in the market place is no more “blatant greed” than trying to get the best price for an item you are selling. But relax NorthWestCheeseHead, I’m not accusing you of being a blatant “item seller”!

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You accuse Tbone of doing what you do regarding Jennings in the next sentence: ‘It is entirely presumptuous of you to try and explain Jennings’ decision making process...’ And why complain about Tbone's using the example your going to a different employer for more money? First, there’s nothing wrong with that and second, it’s not as if he impugned you personally – that’s an element of the free market. What is wrong with Jennings wanting to maximize his compensation? Jennings abided by the rules of the NFL, fulfilled his contract with the Packers and earned the right to shop his services to any team willing to bargain with him and that’s what he and his agent are doing. Just as you have a right to offer an opinion on what Jennings’ economic value is to an NFL team, so does Jennings and his agent. Trying to maximize one’s compensation in the market place is no more “blatant greed” than trying to get the best price for an item you are selling. But relax NorthWestCheeseHead, I’m not accusing you of being a blatant “item seller”!

I like how you quoted me properly inside the quote box, then misquoted me in your responce. I was only ever talking about Tbone's shoddy guess work on the reasons behind my conclusions about Jennings. However I really hate posting from my phone because the text lags so I'll get around to properly responding to the both of you later.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You don't pay players based on what they've done in the past, you pay them according to what you believe they will do in the future. Granted, that's based on what they've done in the past.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Caught it before you added more to it. :p And to replay to your insulting attack on my intelligence, yes I do. Again, feel free to review my previous posts for the posting patterns, syntax, and vernacular I use. Especially if multisyllabic words tend to confuse you it would help avert these ridiculously superfluous posts talking to me instead of actually adding anything to the conversation being discussed in whatever topic it happens in at the time. Unless you enjoy being relatively close to joining the only other person on my ignore list. And no; your edit doesn't count.

I'm not sure what issue you have with me that you would resort to public ridicule, especially since we've no interactions previously, but I hope that it is well and squashed now.
If you consider that an insult, you are far too sensitive. FYI my edit had nothing to do with you, I was/am using my phone and I hit "post reply" while moving the screen around with my finger. I have to zoom in to read on here and have to scroll as I read. I'm pretty sure you're the only one who would consider me pointing out your fancy words as "public ridicule". Either way, I don't know you, or have any issues with you, or anyone on the Internet, in the slightest. Ignore away, if that's what floats your boat.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It truly is only about the money. Now Greg can make it rain on his sister.

Going to a team with a good qb is important my ***.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talk about presumptuous, your whole post is based off presumptions. Where are you getting your information? From the same media outlets that reported the Steven Jackson signing? If they did offer 10 million, based on how the market has changed, there is no way that offer is still on the table.

So you can say he's greedy, but you have no idea what the current situation is. Jennings has been nothing short of classy in his contract dispute. Show me one instance where he has "whined" about money. I hope he gets paid, he's earned it.
Errr, actually my whole post was based on various articles posted by sbnation, rotoworld, espn, nfl, pft, etc; as I already stated in that same post. And well of course you're right in assuming that I got it from the same media outlets that reported Steven Jackson signing with Atlanta. (Weird example, but I'm guessing that one hit harder in your mind.) Whereas your initial post relied heavily on some half cocked theory about how I'd act in a given situation, which is preposterous because you know no factual about my character. Which is the quintessential example of "presumptuous".

I say Greg Jennings' (GJ) greedy based on how he's been told by multiple teams that he's asking far too much and he, reportedly, hasn't budged on that figure. And his "boo-boo, I'm going to take care of me first" interviews that became more prevalent nearer the end of the season really stuck in my craw. You can do a simple Google search for GJ interviews on NFL Network near the end of the year, and his end of season interview on Packers.com, just to name a few off the top of my head. Also I never claimed that the $10 mil a year contract offered by the Packers was still on the table, in fact I affirmed just the opposite:
Now he's stuck coming crawling back to us for a contract which probably will be much more cap friendly.

The bold is highlighting where you misquoted me. And the following is both what I wrote and what you correctly quoted in the quote box:
Moreover, it is entirely presumptuous of you to try and explain to me what my decision making process would be in a given situation; even for such a base situation.
That speaks for itself.
As for the issue with the "perspective job" example: I never said that there was a problem with it. Other than, that Tbone was speaking for me. Which was rediculous because I've never spoken to the guy before, odd how people on the net can instantly know every "empirical fact" about someone without having personally interacted with that person previously. Along with that, Tbone, also implied that I had no credibility to speak on the manner because of said off-base definition of my character. Dang right I'll vehemently refute that.
I never said that Jennings couldn't try to maximize his income. All I ever contended was that he is asking too much in the current market and that I'm just tired of this whole drawn out affair. I just want it to be done with and to move on to greener pastures. On the "item seller" bit - would it matter if I told you that I don't sell stuff online?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
me to..i posted he was going to Minnesota weeks ago. Let's continue to watch the other NFC teams get better.
A lot of the signings are mute really. The only one that I think will hurt us is Reggie Bush, and that's mostly just because I like the guy, and he's a heck of a player.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say other are getting that much better. Some of them seem to be going all in next year because they have cheap cheap cheap qb's like San Fran and Seattle but they will be in all kinds of cap hell in a year or 2. Championships are won on the field and not during the first 3 days of free agency.

TT's plan works. I just hope he isn't keeping all the space just for Rodgers and Clay to break the bank. There are some smart and below the radar acquisitions he can make.

I will miss Greg's ability to get open and make plays but 5 years at 10 or more per is absurd for him at this point. Get a good few hundred thousand dollar rook and keep the train moving.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of the signings are mute really. The only one that I think will hurt us is Reggie Bush, and that's mostly just because I like the guy, and he's a heck of a player.

As a person I can't stand him but as a player I haven't seen anything but a mostly disappointing career.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing harvin and picking up Jennings makes the Vikings better? What are you smoking?

Ok where did i say it makes them better losing Harvin and picking up Jennings? What i am saying is they are a better team with Jennings then they were without Harvin or Jennings. Thanks

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok where did i say it makes them better losing Harvin and picking up Jennings? What i am saying is they are a better team with Jennings then they were without Harvin or Jennings. Thanks

So this is an up to the minute are they better or worse? Not a overall better or worse over the off season?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I will never understand how people can get upset about a player signing elsewhere before they even HEAR THE TERMS of the contract.

Minnesota signed Jennings for FIVE YEARS! Would you really have wanted to make a long-term investment in Jennings until he's 35? A lot of people didn't even want him back for 1 year/$10M on a franchise tag deal!

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will wish he was back here when balls are at his feet or he's catching them after they bounce off the ground.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully San Franciso can sign Asomugha and Woodson because that's clearly a franchise trying to win NOW. I like to see teams who manage their cap and bring in guy's who can help have success right away... it goes to show that you can't be afraid to to take a risk if you feel there is going to be high reward. I know there is a difference between being smart and reckless when it comes to managing cap space but at this point i am solely convinced TT is penny pinching for Rodgers and Matthews contracts. But that's ok, at least we are good enough at this point to win the North:tup:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think that tonight or tomorrow morning, after all the excitement has died down, Jennings will sit there and think "how did I got from $10M/year and Aaron Rodgers as my quarterback to my current contract and Christian Ponder/Matt Cassel"? I really hope he is happy with Ponder bouncing passes into his ankles. He won't see another Pro Bowl or 1,000 yard season again.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully San Franciso can sign Asomugha and Woodson because that's clearly a franchise trying to win NOW. I like to see teams who manage their cap and bring in guy's who can help have success right away... it goes to show that you can't be afraid to to take a risk if you feel there is going to be high reward. I know there is a difference between being smart and reckless when it comes to managing cap space but at this point i am solely convinced TT is penny pinching for Rodgers and Matthews contracts. But that's ok, at least we are good enough at this point to win the North:tup:

Jennings got 5 years/$47.M with an $18M signing bonus. We should have gone 5/$50 with a $20M signing bonus just to take a risk and keep him, right? :rolleyes:

Members online

Latest posts