OFFICIAL GREG JENNINGS TALK

H

HardRightEdge

Here's one way to ***** the value proposition:

If you pay a short-to-intermediate receiver, in mostly a possession role, which is where Jennings is at, what do you need to get from him to a receive a $10 million contribution to winning?

At 140 targets, with a 60% completion rate (taking into account a lower rate for WRs and a conservative drop %), you come up with 84 catches. At 13 yards per catch, that gets you to 1,092 yards. Let's throw in a generous 10 TDs.

Do those numbers justify a $10 mil salary with Aaron Rodgers at QB? Borderline, to be generous.

So then the question becomes, how the heck is Greg Jennings going to get anything close to 140 targets in this offense? He won't. He's worth a lot more to somebody else who can get him the ball more often, even if out of necessity.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please don't waste $10m on a player we don't need. I love Greg, but he doesn't deserve to make more than our other 3 guys combined, not even close. With much more important pieces needed, that is money better spent elsewhere. Also, John Kuhn is an absolute waste of 2.5m, he needs to renegotiate or hit the bricks. $12.5m could add a lot of needed quality/depth.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he even our best WR anymore? Arguments could easily be made that he isn't. For $10m+, I expect a freak like Larry Fitzgerald or someone.

MackemPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he even our best WR anymore? Arguments could easily be made that he isn't. For $10m+, I expect a freak like Larry Fitzgerald or someone.

I'm not sure he is, he definitely was in 2010 but I think Nelson was better in 2011 and he was injured last season but James Jones made a big improvement. Then obviously there's Cobb. I'd honestly let him go to the Vikings, and use some of the saved money to bring in Steven Jackson.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure he is, he definitely was in 2010 but I think Nelson was better in 2011 and he was injured last season but James Jones made a big improvement. Then obviously there's Cobb. I'd honestly let him go to the Vikings, and use some of the saved money to bring in Steven Jackson.

The offense was better with him. He gets separation and gets open.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I am Greg Jennings I certainly would not want to go play for a team who's best option at QB is the inconsistent Mr Ponder, and only one injury away from Joe " I throw the ball into the dirt" Webb. At his age this could be his last long term deal spending it in a dome might be nice but I'd like to think he'd rather have #12 throwing him the ball.

All that being said, I still don't think he is willing to come down to a number the Packers can agree with. Tough situation for him and the organization.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Not only that but it is reported that Matt Cassel is going to compete for the starting job vs. Ponder... Im sure GJ doesnt want to go from Aaron Rodgers to Cassel or Ponder...

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only that but it is reported that Matt Cassel is going to compete for the starting job vs. Ponder... Im sure GJ doesnt want to go from Aaron Rodgers to Cassel or Ponder...
At this point I just want Jennings gone, and I don't care who he signs with. I just can't stand the blatant greed he is displaying currently.

Tbone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I just want Jennings gone, and I don't care who he signs with. I just can't stand the blatant greed he is displaying currently.

Why is it greed if he wants to make 10 million more with a different team. What fans need to think about is percentages...it's not his fault we work in industries that don't pay millions. If he can get 3 years 30 million with the Vikings or 3 years 20 with the Packers could you blame him for leaving? That's a 33% pay cut and it's his last opportunity to get paid! 35 to 85 is a lot of years to string out money. If you had an offer for $80K with a new company would you stay for $53K because you have better talent around you? No you wouldn't, and you wouldn't turn down 150K if you make 100K, you wouldn't. TT is low balling him, otherwise he'd sign.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't blame him for being greedy, but I just hope he knows what he might get into... Let's see what his sister tweets when Christian Ponder is throwing balls into his ankles.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it greed if he wants to make 10 million more with a different team. What fans need to think about is percentages...it's not his fault we work in industries that don't pay millions. If he can get 3 years 30 million with the Vikings or 3 years 20 with the Packers could you blame him for leaving? That's a 33% pay cut and it's his last opportunity to get paid! 35 to 85 is a lot of years to string out money. If you had an offer for $80K with a new company would you stay for $53K because you have better talent around you? No you wouldn't, and you wouldn't turn down 150K if you make 100K, you wouldn't. TT is low balling him, otherwise he'd sign.

Man I hate how the human brain works. It enables people into operating under preconceived notions instead of trying to understand "what" and "why" someone is saying by asking them for clarification prior to launching into a mini-rant for reasons that will soon become noticeably superfluous. Moreover, it is entirely presumptuous of you to try and explain to me what my decision making process would be in a given situation; even for such a base situation.

It's greed because he's expecting too much money for the production he's put up to this point of his career. And let's be honest here; this is a "what have you done for me lately" world that we live in. The Green Bay Packers already offered Jennings a $10 mil a year contract, and it is estimated that the length was around 4 or 5 years, so $40 - $50 mil total. In my opinion that's still a bit high for Jennings, but he's been crying about money all year long so I'm OK with sweetening the pot a bit.

He's reportedly looking for about $1 $1.5 mil more than that a year. Even in a year that the Packers had a larger amount of cap space to play with I'd still say that $44 - $57.5 mil total for Jennings is way too much, again, chiefly on the basis of his body of work and his health. He probably asked around that figure of the Vikings, whom then reportedly balked at the suggested figure (rotoworld, sbnation, et al). Which is congruent with the reaction Jennings received from the few other teams that he courted/ courted him. Really this all smells like Jennings just wanted to go hang out with Philbin, who said "thanks, but no thanks".

Now he's stuck coming crawling back to us for a contract which probably will be much more cap friendly.

P.S. That you decided to try to refute my stance in a manner that in essence contended that I was unequipped to make the comments I have about Jennings; because I'm somehow jealous, paraphrasing, about the amount of money he gets to make comparatively to my own salary is both preposterous and insulting. To further prove just how off base you were with that implication: I demand that you parse through the nearly 300 posts I have made on this form and please find one where I've ever said anything resembling "I don't like how much money professional athletes make because I don't make millions either."!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm back n forth with this. But I see declining skills and a lack of need. I see 2 WRs that could be eligible for new contracts and a GM that drafts WRs well.

Maybe at $5 mil a year. But part of me wants to see his sisters twitter when he is catching nothing from ponder.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I hate how the human brain works. It enables people into operating under preconceived notions instead of trying to understand "what" and "why" someone is saying by asking them for clarification prior to launching into a mini-rant for reasons that will soon become noticeably superfluous. Moreover, it is entirely presumptuous of you to try and explain to me what my decision making process would be in a given situation; even for such a base situation.

It's greed because he's expecting too much money for the production he's put up to this point of his career. And let's be honest here; this is a "what have you done for me lately" world that we live in. The Green Bay Packers already offered Jennings a $10 mil a year contract, and it is estimated that the length was around 4 or 5 years, so $40 - $50 mil total. In my opinion that's still a bit high for Jennings, but he's been crying about money all year long so I'm OK with sweetening the pot a bit.

He's reportedly looking for about $1 $1.5 mil more than that a year. Even in a year that the Packers had a larger amount of cap space to play with I'd still say that $44 - $57.5 mil total for Jennings is way too much, again, chiefly on the basis of his body of work and his health. He probably asked around that figure of the Vikings, whom then reportedly balked at the suggested figure (rotoworld, sbnation, et al). Which is congruent with the reaction Jennings received from the few other teams that he courted/ courted him. Really this all smells like Jennings just wanted to go hang out with Philbin, who said "thanks, but no thanks".

Now he's stuck coming crawling back to us for a contract which probably will be much more cap friendly.

P.S. That you decided to try to refute my stance in a manner that in essence contended that I was unequipped to make the comments I have about Jennings; because I'm somehow jealous, paraphrasing, about the amount of money he gets to make comparatively to my own salary is both preposterous and insulting. To further prove just how off base you were with that implication: I demand that you parse through the nearly 300 posts I have made on this form and please find one where I've ever said anything resembling "I don't like how much money professional athletes make because I don't make millions either."!
Do you use all those fancy words when you talk? But seriously, I am holding out hope that Ted decides to use the money to improve the defense instead. If we want another Lombardi, we need to stop somebody in the playoffs. We can survive spreading those 60 receptions or so out elsewhere.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you use all those fancy words when you talk?

Caught it before you added more to it. :p And to replay to your insulting attack on my intelligence, yes I do. Again, feel free to review my previous posts for the posting patterns, syntax, and vernacular I use. Especially if multisyllabic words tend to confuse you it would help avert these ridiculously superfluous posts talking to me instead of actually adding anything to the conversation being discussed in whatever topic it happens in at the time. Unless you enjoy being relatively close to joining the only other person on my ignore list. And no; your edit doesn't count.

I'm not sure what issue you have with me that you would resort to public ridicule, especially since we've no interactions previously, but I hope that it is well and squashed now.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Anyone care to take a stab at what GJ free agent worth/value is as of now? Has to be sliding downward at a quick rate seeing as how he is a big name that has yet to be signed to anyone. His sister must be nervous about who might be paying her bills so she can continue to spout off on twitter....lol

Tbone

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Talk about presumptuous, your whole post is based off presumptions. Where are you getting your information? From the same media outlets that reported the Steven Jackson signing? If they did offer 10 million, based on how the market has changed, there is no way that offer is still on the table.

So you can say he's greedy, but you have no idea what the current situation is. Jennings has been nothing short of classy in his contract dispute. Show me one instance where he has "whined" about money. I hope he gets paid, he's earned it.

Members online

Latest posts