OFFICIAL GREG JENNINGS TALK

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. He was hurt or ineffective most of the season and we rolled on. Marquee is Rodgers and Matthews.

I agree for the most part, but did you forget Matthews has chronic hamstring issues? he's almost guaranteed to miss two or three games a yr because of his hammys.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree for the most part, but did you forget Matthews has chronic hamstring issues? he's almost guaranteed to miss two or three games a yr because of his hammys.

Correct but the defense is shaky without him. Matthews grades out to be the best player on our defense almost every year.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Why is it that anytime a Packer player talks about moving on from the team he has to have some sort of emotional attachment to the team or he is considered a jerk?

I saw where one guy said he didn't think that Jennings' comments were "classy". Frankly, I didn't have a problem in the world with Jennings' comment -- he IS a 'class' guy. He hasn't taken any low brow parting shots at the team or the city ala Longwell, Favre and Sharper (note the common denominator with that reference). Perhaps I missed the "jerk" thing.

If I had my choice, I'd pay the man because he's a locker room guy. While he was hurt...he was on the sideline with the team...the guy is worth the money to someone and I wish it was the Packers. Unfortunately, in this matter, Green Bay's depth is its problem. Too many guys who can do what Jennings brings to the table ... and can do it for less than $10 million per year. Thing is, the Pack pay GJ, they lose guys whose replacement isn't already on the roster.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I saw where one guy said he didn't think that Jennings' comments were "classy". Frankly, I didn't have a problem in the world with Jennings' comment -- he IS a 'class' guy. He hasn't taken any low brow parting shots at the team or the city ala Longwell, Favre and Sharper (note the common denominator with that reference). Perhaps I missed the "jerk" thing.

If I had my choice, I'd pay the man because he's a locker room guy. While he was hurt...he was on the sideline with the team...the guy is worth the money to someone and I wish it was the Packers. Unfortunately, in this matter, Green Bay's depth is its problem. Too many guys who can do what Jennings brings to the table ... and can do it for less than $10 million per year. Thing is, the Pack pay GJ, they lose guys whose replacement isn't already on the roster.
There was only one thing that was kinda harsh, but he was really just stating this league is a business when you look at it. Man's gotta look out for his family.

You know he wanted to be on the field between the lines, and he gave his teammates all the support he could while he recovered. His departure has been coming for a while now, and we should have all been emotionally prepared. Greg is a h of a guy and even more so a player. It'll kill me to see him in another uni.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you really look at Jennings and his impact, he hasn't been effective since 2010. He was injured last year and this year. Randal Cobb has developed as a consistent threat, Nelson is the deep man and James Jones had a great year and looks like a solid starter. If the Packers get a running back, the loss of Jennings will be minimal.

Jennings didn't seem "in it" this year. His sister probably just said to the public what he's been saying all year in private. Let some other team overpay a thirty year-old receiver.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe he's so old already. When did that happen?

30 isnt old to me at all. Guys like Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Tim Brown, Marvin Harrison, Terell Owens and even Donald Driver were pretty productive after age 30 so i don't buy the "he's old" stuff. In fact, Owens and Moss had their most productive seasons of their careers after age 30 so......

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I never said that you can't be productive past 30. It's just that, in my mind, Jennings is still one of the young guys. But that's not true.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Why is it that anytime a Packer player talks about moving on from the team he has to have some sort of emotional attachment to the team or he is considered a jerk? The Packers cut players all the time, they choose not to resign players all the time but they don't have to worry about the fans reaction. It's a business folks. A business that plays a game. Players move on, just because they don't feel the same way you do about your team does not make them jerks. Most players are here because they either got drafted by the team, or the team offered them the best option/money. I have not heard a player say in a long time, if ever, "Gee, I only want to play for the Packers(or any other team)." "They don't have to pay me squat, I'll do it because it's the team I always wanted to play for."

Fans have emotional attachment's to teams. Players don't. They may have some to other players on the same team, but not much more than that.

is there a reluctantly agree icon ? what the man says is right. As long as that player doesn`t go away badmouthing the organisation I agree

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it that anytime a Packer player talks about moving on from the team he has to have some sort of emotional attachment to the team or he is considered a jerk?

Romanticism for the game, man. You saying if Peterson got all distant and passive aggressive, you wouldn't be a little butthurt?

Chillarfan54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is selling his house and he keeps hinting that he wants to leave. Then go , we've got a lot of players that want to be here. Then again, he not going to go to a better team with the history and the fans we have. But if he wants the money and the cheesy commercials. Then just don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Romanticism for the game, man. You saying if Peterson got all distant and passive aggressive, you wouldn't be a little butthurt?
Nope. I expect him to leave at some point. I have no idea what goes on in the locker room or how the players are treated on a day to day basis. Players play for team because of two reasons. Once those reasons are gone they move on. Disappointed that he would be leaving, yes. butthurt, no.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. I understand it's a business, but if one of my favorites starts acting like kind of a turd, I'm the first to admit that I have an emotional reaction about it. My head knows it's a business and this isn't a big deal, but my head is notoriously ineffective at convincing my heart of that kind of stuff.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings may be surprised by offers he gets in free agency, and could be signed again for what Thompson feels he can afford. I'd love to see that happen, but doubt it occurs. And I'm on the side of Jennings being a classy, good teammate on and off the field regardless of where he winds up.

H

HardRightEdge

30 isnt old to me at all. Guys like Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Tim Brown, Marvin Harrison, Terell Owens and even Donald Driver were pretty productive after age 30 so i don't buy the "he's old" stuff. In fact, Owens and Moss had their most productive seasons of their careers after age 30 so......

It's easy to remember the guys who did. Harder to remember the majority who didn't.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings may be surprised by offers he gets in free agency, and could be signed again for what Thompson feels he can afford. I'd love to see that happen, but doubt it occurs. And I'm on the side of Jennings being a classy, good teammate on and off the field regardless of where he winds up.

He will be surprised all right..he will be surprised by how much some team out there will be willing to pay for him.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN, Bill Polian's Free Agent Ratings

Tier B: Offense (notables)
As I mentioned above, the B players are guys worth pursuing only if you can get them at a good value. A lot of these players might surprise you because there are some big names in this group. For those, I've detailed some of the reasons keeping them out of A territory. I've also provided some detail on players I think could be particularly appealing in this tier. The remainder are grouped into the chart below.

Greg Jennings
DOB: 9/21/83
HT: 5-11
WT: 198
POS: WR
2012 TEAM: Green Bay

Jennings will be a big name, but this is the classic question mark: How much do you pay a guy who will turn 30 at the start of the 2013 season and is coming off of two injury-plagued seasons?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is selling his house and he keeps hinting that he wants to leave. Then go , we've got a lot of players that want to be here.
That is sure how it seems, but I'm not sure that we fully understand the situation. I would add that Jennings hasn't hinted that he wants to go but that he most likely won't be here in season. It's an important distinction, one implying his desire and one implying that cap/salary/team might be dictating it. My take is that TT and Ball have been silent going into his final season, so Jennings saw the writing on the wall. We don't know what has been communicated between TT/Ball and Jenning's agent.

I think that in the end, some team will overpay for Jennings but I tend to agree with JBlood. The quote below sums it up. His attitude and production should get attention but it's all about how much he wants and how much the market will bear. If his demands of the Packers have been too high, and the FA market confirms that, TT might be able to keep one of our more beloved players without breaking the bank.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...nings-might-land-with-rival-minnesota-vikings
Jennings isn't likely to command a premier contract after struggling through this season with a host of injuries, but his productive track record will garner attention.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If they were going to tag and keep him, they would have been negotiating with his agent on a contract. The only way tagging Jennings makes sense is if it's a tag and trade and that's extremely unlikely.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
30 doesn't bother me so much, it's the years at the back end of the 5-6 year deal that you give a guy at 30. Assuming Greg remains fairly healthy, I think he'll remain effective for a few more years.

Driver peaked at 31, but he remained essentially just as effective up to 34, where he at first gradually declined, then quickly declined. Reggie Wayne is 34, and he has remained consistent other than the year he didn't have Manning or Luck throwing to him, which was the aberration year. Welker is 31 and not really showing signs of decline. Moss hit a wall at 32 and T.O. about 34-35. I don't think 30 is a major concern, but 33-34 is starting to enter the danger area.

So I think a lot of guaranteed money on a 6 year deal would be a very bad idea to give Jennings, which I'm sure is what he'll be going for. If he could be landed on a 3-4 year deal, that seems relatively safe to me.

Frankly, if you can comfortably make it work with the cap, 1 year/$10M isn't a bad deal to bring Jennings back. I'd prefer a tag and trade, though. Would be nice to land a 2nd round pick for someone we didn't even expect back anyway.

Members online

Latest posts