OFFICIAL GREG JENNINGS TALK

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just have to come to terms with the likelihood that Jennings will not be here next year. I'm thinking that the Packers should keep Finley. He seemed to get things straightened out, although his blocking is still lousy.

We won't be able to replace Jennings, but if Cobb can continue to improve and we can pick up a promising WR in the draft, and Jordy Nelson isn't injured for 2/3 of the season, I think we'll be ok.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for keeping the guy if it can be done without costing an arm and a leg....BUT I AM NOT A FAN OF HIS ANY LONGER: When asked what the most difficult part would be about leaving the Packers if that happens he replied "I don't know if there's a difficult part"

Aight Greg, I'm done with ya. Movin' on.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut him some slack. His team just got their ***** kicked out of the playoffs, and he feels like his franchise doesn't want him; he's probably not at his best right now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut him some slack. His team just got their ***** kicked out of the playoffs, and he feels like his franchise doesn't want him; he's probably not at his best right now.

I feel his pain on the business side of things but c'mon man, that was just cold.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just saying that if a person wants to be fair, they need to take the context into consideration. If he wouldve said this a day after the Super Bowl win, it would be a different matter altogether, right?

We all say hurtful things when we're hurting. It doesn't mean he really feels that way. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. But I'm inclined to believe he was feeling ****** and didn't have the energy to toe the company line.

I think moving on is the right move for the Packers. I think Jennings is completely justified in his feelings. Business is business and they all know that, but that doesn't make it any easier.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
roto world had a little tid bit from a nfl scout..

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3652/greg-jennings

One NFC scout tells the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that impending free agent Greg Jennings' market will be "much smaller" than Vincent Jackson's in landing a five-year, $55 million contract last year.
"I put Vincent Jackson last year up in the elite spectrum, a Pro Bowl-caliber player," the scout said. "He's also 6-5 and still can do a lot more things. Greg can't compete with Vincent right now."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've loved Jennings since game 1 when I was there, met his mom and dad wearing his jersey.
He's been a class act.

But there are two sides to most people, and what his sister said has to have been at least partly due to some words Greg said. As stupid as she sounded, she can't have made everything up she said. I would bet a lot that Greg has mentioned a desire to join Philbin in Miami.

The cost of the franchise tag will be way too much. No WR is worth that much as WR's don't lead anyone to glory, since Jerry Rice perhaps.
And Jennings is not in the class of a Calvin Johnson anyway.

Let his agent work out a long term deal with Miami, and then tag & trade him to the Fish for a draft pick (or Cameron Wake, Jake Long lol)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Greg Jennings and when healthy he's a top 5 wr imo, but to just let him walk?? when you can tag the guy and keep him for at least one more year or even trade him is foolish to me. I know he doesn't wanna get the tag and would rather have a new deal done but as i GM you are in the business of winning Super Bowls first and foremost. A guy's feelings should come second to only that. We still don't know who the 4th wr is if he leaves and theres no guarantee that Cobb is going to have the type of season he had this year.

I saw how our wr's struggled when Jennings as out, he makes it easier for the other wr's to get balls..and altho Nelson has decent deep speed Jennings made his bones getting deep so who would replace him? Ross maybe? either way this offense is not as good without Jennings in the lineup sorry. He needs to be in the mix for at least another year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I merged threads as we had 3 pages of Greg already...

So lets try to keep all Greg talk here

Thanks

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
where the packers are really in a good position is in WR. there is so much depth that you CAN let Jennings walk...and he realizes that.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It will be. From what I understand, he paid $360,000 for it in 2006 and it currently has an estimated fair market value (for property taxes purposes) below even that. Of course, I have next to ZERO exposure to the Brown County real estate market -- I'd guess he'd put it up at $525k for maybe 60 days or so to test the market and then begin dropping the asking price--unless some fervent Packers fan buys it just because a Packers player owned it...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Why is it that anytime a Packer player talks about moving on from the team he has to have some sort of emotional attachment to the team or he is considered a jerk? The Packers cut players all the time, they choose not to resign players all the time but they don't have to worry about the fans reaction. It's a business folks. A business that plays a game. Players move on, just because they don't feel the same way you do about your team does not make them jerks. Most players are here because they either got drafted by the team, or the team offered them the best option/money. I have not heard a player say in a long time, if ever, "Gee, I only want to play for the Packers(or any other team)." "They don't have to pay me squat, I'll do it because it's the team I always wanted to play for."

Fans have emotional attachment's to teams. Players don't. They may have some to other players on the same team, but not much more than that.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Why is it that anytime a Packer player talks about moving on from the team he has to have some sort of emotional attachment to the team or he is considered a jerk? The Packers cut players all the time, they choose not to resign players all the time but they don't have to worry about the fans reaction. It's a business folks. A business that plays a game. Players move on, just because they don't feel the same way you do about your team does not make them jerks. Most players are here because they either got drafted by the team, or the team offered them the best option/money. I have not heard a player say in a long time, if ever, "Gee, I only want to play for the Packers(or any other team)." "They don't have to pay me squat, I'll do it because it's the team I always wanted to play for."

Fans have emotional attachment's to teams. Players don't. They may have some to other players on the same team, but not much more than that.

DD took less money and less playing time to stay a packer a year ago.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be. From what I understand, he paid $360,000 for it in 2006 and it currently has an estimated fair market value (for property taxes purposes) below even that. Of course, I have next to ZERO exposure to the Brown County real estate market -- I'd guess he'd put it up at $525k for maybe 60 days or so to test the market and then begin dropping the asking price--unless some fervent Packers fan buys it just because a Packers player owned it...

His best bet is selling it to a friend on the team but even that is a stretch

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you know what "tagging" him will cost us?
Are you aware of what the # is for a "tag"?
He'd be the highest paid player on our team.
We don't need that.

100% agree. Fans need to be more versed on the impacts of the tag. It's only an asset if its your best player and you need to use it to work out a long term deal. It's a vicious thing to try n use on a non marquee player.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% agree. Fans need to be more versed on the impacts of the tag. It's only an asset if its your best player and you need to use it to work out a long term deal. It's a vicious thing to try n use on a non marquee player.

You don't consider Jenning's "marquee"?

Members online

Latest posts