1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

OFFICIAL GREG JENNINGS TALK

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    We just have to come to terms with the likelihood that Jennings will not be here next year. I'm thinking that the Packers should keep Finley. He seemed to get things straightened out, although his blocking is still lousy.

We won't be able to replace Jennings, but if Cobb can continue to improve and we can pick up a promising WR in the draft, and Jordy Nelson isn't injured for 2/3 of the season, I think we'll be ok.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +127
    I'm all for keeping the guy if it can be done without costing an arm and a leg....BUT I AM NOT A FAN OF HIS ANY LONGER: When asked what the most difficult part would be about leaving the Packers if that happens he replied "I don't know if there's a difficult part"

Aight Greg, I'm done with ya. Movin' on.

3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Cut him some slack. His team just got their asses kicked out of the playoffs, and he feels like his franchise doesn't want him; he's probably not at his best right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +127
    I feel his pain on the business side of things but c'mon man, that was just cold.

5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I'm just saying that if a person wants to be fair, they need to take the context into consideration. If he wouldve said this a day after the Super Bowl win, it would be a different matter altogether, right?

We all say hurtful things when we're hurting. It doesn't mean he really feels that way. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. But I'm inclined to believe he was feeling ****** and didn't have the energy to toe the company line.

I think moving on is the right move for the Packers. I think Jennings is completely justified in his feelings. Business is business and they all know that, but that doesn't make it any easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +127
    Sorry just what he said wasn't classy to me I guess at all.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    roto world had a little tid bit from a nfl scout..

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3652/greg-jennings

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,097
  9. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I'm not suggesting it was classy. I guess what I am suggesting is that the gentlemanly thing to do is give him a pass on that one.

10. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I've loved Jennings since game 1 when I was there, met his mom and dad wearing his jersey.
    He's been a class act.

But there are two sides to most people, and what his sister said has to have been at least partly due to some words Greg said. As stupid as she sounded, she can't have made everything up she said. I would bet a lot that Greg has mentioned a desire to join Philbin in Miami.

The cost of the franchise tag will be way too much. No WR is worth that much as WR's don't lead anyone to glory, since Jerry Rice perhaps.
    And Jennings is not in the class of a Calvin Johnson anyway.

Let his agent work out a long term deal with Miami, and then tag & trade him to the Fish for a draft pick (or Cameron Wake, Jake Long lol)

11. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,011
    I love Greg Jennings and when healthy he's a top 5 wr imo, but to just let him walk?? when you can tag the guy and keep him for at least one more year or even trade him is foolish to me. I know he doesn't wanna get the tag and would rather have a new deal done but as i GM you are in the business of winning Super Bowls first and foremost. A guy's feelings should come second to only that. We still don't know who the 4th wr is if he leaves and theres no guarantee that Cobb is going to have the type of season he had this year.

I saw how our wr's struggled when Jennings as out, he makes it easier for the other wr's to get balls..and altho Nelson has decent deep speed Jennings made his bones getting deep so who would replace him? Ross maybe? either way this offense is not as good without Jennings in the lineup sorry. He needs to be in the mix for at least another year.

12. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    I merged threads as we had 3 pages of Greg already...

So lets try to keep all Greg talk here

Thanks

13. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +643
    where the packers are really in a good position is in WR. there is so much depth that you CAN let Jennings walk...and he realizes that.

14. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,011
    I still say tag him for at least another year.

15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Do you know what "tagging" him will cost us?
    Are you aware of what the # is for a "tag"?
    He'd be the highest paid player on our team.
    We don't need that.

16. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
  17. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    • Like Like x 1
  18. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    It will be. From what I understand, he paid $360,000 for it in 2006 and it currently has an estimated fair market value (for property taxes purposes) below even that. Of course, I have next to ZERO exposure to the Brown County real estate market -- I'd guess he'd put it up at $525k for maybe 60 days or so to test the market and then begin dropping the asking price--unless some fervent Packers fan buys it just because a Packers player owned it...

19. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Tag and trade hardly ever works anyway, and with our cap, tag is an ugly option. Too risky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +837
    Why is it that anytime a Packer player talks about moving on from the team he has to have some sort of emotional attachment to the team or he is considered a jerk? The Packers cut players all the time, they choose not to resign players all the time but they don't have to worry about the fans reaction. It's a business folks. A business that plays a game. Players move on, just because they don't feel the same way you do about your team does not make them jerks. Most players are here because they either got drafted by the team, or the team offered them the best option/money. I have not heard a player say in a long time, if ever, "Gee, I only want to play for the Packers(or any other team)." "They don't have to pay me squat, I'll do it because it's the team I always wanted to play for."

Fans have emotional attachment's to teams. Players don't. They may have some to other players on the same team, but not much more than that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    DD took less money and less playing time to stay a packer a year ago.

22. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,097
    I don't know if dd would of had a job if he didnt. Not sure if anyone would of signed him for more than minimum

23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,097
    His best bet is selling it to a friend on the team but even that is a stretch

24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,097
    100% agree. Fans need to be more versed on the impacts of the tag. It's only an asset if its your best player and you need to use it to work out a long term deal. It's a vicious thing to try n use on a non marquee player.

25. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,011
    You don't consider Jenning's "marquee"?