OFFICIAL GIANTS PACKER TALK

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a girl and mod!I also have a tail and cute little ears.

This is an early warning. I don't want to see this thread deleted or anyone banned but I don't like where this thread is going.

Time out here. Everybody calm down. There is no need whatsoever to act like that. I say this to BOTH sides, Packers and Giants fans, we are here to discuss FOOTBALL. I would strongly suggest keeping it at that. So far we have been able to remain civil with one another and most of the Giants fans are actually very respectful and very knowledgeable football fans. Lets keep it classy and continue to have the respect for one another. Remember, how we act as fans can sometimes reflect directly on our team. I know us Packers fans would want to represent our team with pride and integrity, and the same for the Giants fans. Think of yourself as a reflection of your team.

bklyn1028

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is an early warning. I don't want to see this thread deleted or anyone banned but I don't like where this thread is going.

Time out here. Everybody calm down. There is no need whatsoever to act like that. I say this to BOTH sides, Packers and Giants fans, we are here to discuss FOOTBALL. I would strongly suggest keeping it at that. So far we have been able to remain civil with one another and most of the Giants fans are actually very respectful and very knowledgeable football fans. Lets keep it classy and continue to have the respect for one another. Remember, how we act as fans can sometimes reflect directly on our team. I know us Packers fans would want to represent out team with pride and integrity, and the same for the Giants fans. Think of yourself as a reflection of your team.
Go screw yourself!!!

I'm just joking..........
NY sense of humor.

meyerbudNYG

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Time out here. Everybody calm down. There is no need whatsoever to act like that. I say this to BOTH sides, Packers and Giants fans, we are here to discuss FOOTBALL. I would strongly suggest keeping it at that. So far we have been able to remain civil with one another and most of the Giants fans are actually very respectful and very knowledgeable football fans. Lets keep it classy and continue to have the respect for one another. Remember, how we act as fans can sometimes reflect directly on our team. I know us Packers fans would want to represent out team with pride and integrity, and the same for the Giants fans. Think of yourself as a reflection of your team.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

;)

i think its all good now to be honest.

ThorMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There isn't much left to be said in this thread. This is how it has been.

Anything the Giants have brought up in favor for their team we have retorted with something about our team. Giants believe they will win, Packers believe they will win, and since there hasn't been anything else we've just had posts that have resorted to personal attacks.

GiantsFan2012

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say I cracked up reading the last 4 pages of bickering that all started because of the video clip of Jacobs I posted. Like I said pages ago, I had no idea that was the music behind the video. I posted the link while at work, and my job bans youtube so all I could do is see the video, the length, and the link. I can't believe the ruckus that ensued. hahaha

and RandyM, you made fun of Coughlin for getting rolled over on the sideline? lmao, you are one weak *** cat. TC is a 65 year old marine who could prob still take you on. That was hysterical. Your ignorance knows no bounds....much like your grasp of "your" and "you're".

LargeRon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On average Green Bay allowed opponents to score just 1 point above their season ppg avg, while scoring 9.7 points more than the oppositions season points allowed average. The giants on average held opponents to a score 2 points below their season ppg average but only scored 2 points over their opponents points allowed averages. When you give up points very close to your opponents average and outscore their average points allowed significantly, you usually win. The Packers 15-1 record speaks for the truth of it as much as the Giants 9-7 record speaks to losing nearly as many as you win when your ratios are so nearly even.

I hear a lot of Giants fans pointing out that the Giants have been hot lately. Well technically speaking they scored 9.6 and 9.1 points above their final two opponents scoring averages (and 5, 10.9, 3 and 14.8 below their opponents in the 4 games before that). Green Bay on the other hand only scored below their opponents average points allowed twice the whole season (at Atlanta and at Kansas City). In fact in 4 of GB's final 5 games they scored 13, 18.9, 13.7 and 20.8 points above the average those opponents gave up for the season. 3rd grade math will tell you which team is hot and which is not. Did I mention that two of those were against teams in the playoffs? (13 vs NYG and 20.8 vs. DET) Perhaps I failed to note that one of them (20.8) was with a back up QB playing.

Statistically the Giants and Packers had very similar schedules if you only look at their opponents scoring averages. Both teams played 10 teams who averaged over 22 ppg. However, GB played 6 games (NO, DEN, ATL, DET x2, and NYG) against eventual playoff teams and won them all, with NYG playing only 4 games against playoff bound opponents, losing 3 of those (GB, NO, SF).

A head to head calculation of ((GB avg ppg + NYG avg points allowed differential) + (GB ppg differential + NYG avg points allowed))/2 vs. ((NYG avg ppg + GB avg points allowed differential) + (NYG ppg differential + GB avg points allowed))/2 results in a prediction of a Green Bay win 36 - 25. The +24 to +7 turn over differential as well as an even big play differential split also support this prediction.

Ron

GiantsFan2012

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that is a good post. I have never seen someone put as much value on the PPG totals. I'd be interested in seeing these #s on a larger scale, maybe a few seasons worth. Good stuff.

I'm not surprised the #s favor GB so much, as we know their record was pretty good....but I can't seem to remember exactly what it was off the top of my head...oh right, 15-1 (SHOT!), and the Giants was 9-7. So pretty much every stat you throw out there is going to be glaringly in the Packs favor.

Kruunch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On average Green Bay allowed opponents to score just 1 point above their season ppg avg, while scoring 9.7 points more than the oppositions season points allowed average. The giants on average held opponents to a score 2 points below their season ppg average but only scored 2 points over their opponents points allowed averages. When you give up points very close to your opponents average and outscore their average points allowed significantly, you usually win. The Packers 15-1 record speaks for the truth of it as much as the Giants 9-7 record speaks to losing nearly as many as you win when your ratios are so nearly even.

I hear a lot of Giants fans pointing out that the Giants have been hot lately. Well technically speaking they scored 9.6 and 9.1 points above their final two opponents scoring averages (and 5, 10.9, 3 and 14.8 below their opponents in the 4 games before that). Green Bay on the other hand only scored below their opponents average points allowed twice the whole season (at Atlanta and at Kansas City). In fact in 4 of GB's final 5 games they scored 13, 18.9, 13.7 and 20.8 points above the average those opponents gave up for the season. 3rd grade math will tell you which team is hot and which is not. Did I mention that two of those were against teams in the playoffs? (13 vs NYG and 20.8 vs. DET) Perhaps I failed to note that one of them (20.8) was with a back up QB playing.

Statistically the Giants and Packers had very similar schedules if you only look at their opponents scoring averages. Both teams played 10 teams who averaged over 22 ppg. However, GB played 6 games (NO, DEN, ATL, DET x2, and NYG) against eventual playoff teams and won them all, with NYG playing only 4 games against playoff bound opponents, losing 3 of those (GB, NO, SF).

A head to head calculation of ((GB avg ppg + NYG avg points allowed differential) + (GB ppg differential + NYG avg points allowed))/2 vs. ((NYG avg ppg + GB avg points allowed differential) + (NYG ppg differential + GB avg points allowed))/2 results in a prediction of a Green Bay win 36 - 25. The +24 to +7 turn over differential as well as an even big play differential split also support this prediction.

Ron

Fortunately the game isn't played on a calculator :)

However I do have to say that I hate being a Giants fan and worried about my defense holding up. It feels very wrong.

Kruunch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW out of curiosity, do you (Packers fans) feel like you're waiting for the other shoe to drop or are you taking it for granted at this point that your team will put up amazing numbers?

In 2008 we rolled through most of the season, got the #1 seed and then went one and done (after the whole Plaxico fiasco no less) in the playoffs. Up until that game I just assumed the Giants would blow the doors off anyone in the playoffs.

ThorMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score

However I do have to say that I hate being a Giants fan and worried about my defense holding up. It feels very wrong.
But so far the statistic have held true. Which is why the Packers are 15-1 (scoring way above what the defenses usually allow) and the Giants are 9-7 (nearly even with other teams) mind you the whole any given sunday factor can take play (GB@KC) is a good example.

N

NYGIANTS141

Yeah, it's like watching two different teams play. I say this game comes down to defense. Whichever defense shows up wins the game, since the offenses are both powerful.

Kruunch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But so far the statistic have held true. Which is why the Packers are 15-1 (scoring way above what the defenses usually allow) and the Giants are 9-7 (nearly even with other teams) mind you the whole any given sunday factor can take play (GB@KC) is a good example.

That's kind of my point ... football stats (especially scoring differential) is fairly meaningless on a per game basis.

You think that one of the highest scoring offenses of all time (2007 Patriots) thought they were only going to put up 17 points against the #5 seed that year?

Or that the 1990 Bills and their defense busting K-gun offense would only put up 19 points against a team going into the Super Bowl with a backup quarterback?

Or that an Elway who was on fire was only going to put up 20 points in 1986?

You can kind of say that the Giants have made a habit of beating the stats in the post season :)

Errr ... when they're not beating themselves that is.

Kruunch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it's like watching two different teams play. I say this game comes down to defense. Whichever defense shows up wins the game, since the offenses are both powerful.

I tend to agree but it will be more then just which defense shows up ... it will come down to which defense makes more game-changing plays imo (of which the Packers defense is certainly capable of as well).

Honestly the only reason I'm optimistic about Sunday is that the Giants have caught fire at the end of the season which is one variable that's hard to define but consistantly shows up (ala the 2010 Packers).

But if I were to bet on the game with no points I'd have to bet the Packers.

E-rutherford

Measure twice.....cut once
Reaction score
I tend to agree but it will be more then just which defense shows up ... it will come down to which defense makes more game-changing plays imo (of which the Packers defense is certainly capable of as well).

Honestly the only reason I'm optimistic about Sunday is that the Giants have caught fire at the end of the season which is one variable that's hard to define but consistantly shows up (ala the 2010 Packers).
thats the beauty of this game.....anything can happen. Which teams decide to show up will paint the picture come Sunday...

LargeRon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The numbers that are really statistically significant are the averaged differentials for the season. Those differentials are what correct for large anomalies and account for each teams strength of opponent. I messed around with weighting different factors and doing them as a summation but the unweighted values predicted historical scores for this season better. Big play and turn over differentials also worked better by just making them an up or down and using them as corroborative data rather than trying to make them predictive. I don't think extending the data past a single season would make sense. It would be tough to account for changing team dynamics like Indianapolis losing Manning. Of course that is a good argument against all attempts to use running statistic analysis to predict sporting event outcomes. Both teams played significantly different last season. I think the Giants improved on offense by continuing a heavy focus on run and developing a big play threat with Cruze. Green Bay on the other hand focused on honing their big play threats (note the plural nature) on offense and developing a defense that applies just enough pass rush pressure to entice the opposition to attempt the long ball, while trying to position DBs correctly to jump the routes. It has certainly resulted GB giving up a lot more big plays, but its basic design has worked well and resulted in GB racking up 31 team interceptions this season.

While the game isn't played on a calculator, running these calculations using running total differentials (starting at week 3 when the numbers become statistically significant) does a fairly good job of predicting game outcomes. Of course "any given Sunday" is always a factor, but I would rather rely on numbers that have statistical significance rather than "my team has a hot defense" as a metric. I won't even go into just how stupid comparing this game to the 07 game is except to mention that you have substantially the same defensive and offensive leaders from that year, and GB is a substantially different team in offensive and defensive leadership, and with the current team has beat NYG twice in as many match-ups.

Ron

N

NYGIANTS141

I won't even go into just how stupid comparing this game to the 07 game is except to mention that you have substantially the same defensive and offensive leaders from that year, and GB is a substantially different team in offensive and defensive leadership, and with the current team has beat NYG twice in as many match-ups.

Ron

I agree, i hate the comparisons. Same leaders + different players = different team.

Both teams are different. I cant understand the logic behind comparing the two years. This is a whole different game, the only similarity is that we played each other in the 07-08 playoffs.

Members online

Latest posts