Official Gameday Thread: Packers vs Giants

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Have any of you guys snuck over to the Giants board to see what's being said? It might be good for a laugh.

Probably plenty of stuff, but Jennings just answered a very gracious Giants fan on Twitter with respect. It was a cool exchange to see. They played a helluva game, that's for sure.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
REFUSE TO LOSE!

Wish the games weren't this close, but glad to see the Pack still undefeated. One think to note, if the
Packers make it to the Super Bowl, then that means 5 of the next 6 games are at home.

Hopefully Starks and Woodson will be back soon.

WhiteHouseOn3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My throat hurts.

We have a private Packer's room at a local bar I go every week. Immediately next door is a Cowboys room. We have a shared wall, and it has about a 2 ft gap on top so we occasionally counter-chant each other. They were loud today, and we were following their game on our smart phones. Let's just say we all cheered when they lost in OT, and oh man they didn't love us. Funny thing is they HAD to cheer for us to beat the Giants!

I was hysterical during the 4th quarter, and huddled with 3 strangers til the end. I couldn't watch the final FG, just waited for cheers or grunts. Oh Packers fans, I love us.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse was atrocious, again, as against Allen twice.
But I'm sick of myself, J-Mike. What the hell is wrong with that boy?

He has the only primadona attitude on this team, and he keeps dropping passes.
He sucks compared to Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham.

I think Finley has cost himself a ton of money this year.

As always, more guys go down to seemingly-serious injury. The Quarless one ****** me off because that guy put his arm up as a fair catch. Whistle should have blown that play dead, before Quarless leg popped out.

Not sure about when or what Starks... did he just re-aggravate his previous injury?

And Woodson and the concussion.... that was all his fault. He had a free shot at Bradshaw.... could have lit him up, but he led with his head and hit Ahmad's head.... why can't they pad the exterior of those damn helmets.

Matthews was the only hero on defense.
Still waiting to see what all the hype was about Mike Neal.
He's not even a shadow of Cullen Jenkins.

12-0 and a signature win.
Just hate to see guys keep going down and carted off.....

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse was atrocious, again, as against Allen twice.
But I'm sick of myself, J-Mike. What the hell is wrong with that boy?

He has the only primadona attitude on this team, and he keeps dropping passes.
He sucks compared to Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham.

I think Finley has cost himself a ton of money this year.
Today was the first time I was getting frustrated with the dropped catches.
If J (I-Don't-Get-Enough-Balls-Thrown-My-Way-And-When-I-Do-I-Drop-Them) Mike doesn't improve and improve fast, they should cut him or send him to the practice squad until he learns not to eat greasy popcorn while wearing the gloves.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I have a migraine after this game.

First off, when you're up 28 to 17, you should be looking out for a big play. I think the Giants did what teams have done best against us all year with big plays for huge gains, also called BURNING our secondary. I didn't expect it, really didn't.

Clay Matthews interception was huge, and the momentum made me believe the defense was about to push through and come up big with some 3 and outs, and so forth.

Rodgers interception was a mistake, but I can't put it on him when you remember he has only 5 interceptions all year, he made a mistake, it's OK, just glad it wasn't a pick 6 or I probably would have puked.

I couldn't stop yelling at the dropped passes. I understand some people on this board get offended when I say Finley drops too many that he should have caught, but how many drops did he have in this game where the ball just bounced out of his hands? He's quickly becoming a liability. He had 4 drops according to a stat during the game, but I counted 5, the last one coming after that stat. Jennings also had some drops, not saying everyone catches but Finley, but the drops really could have cost us. This isn't the first time Finley has dropped key passes, he really cost us some first downs, and possible points.

The last drive is the first time we seen our defense blow it when it's clutch time. Our defense COULD NOT STOP THEM AT ALL. Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz made our defense looks so horrible. Losing Charles Woodson didn't help, but it also don't help when you leave guys wide open on the final drive, and can't stop the run against an RB that has sucked most of the year (Brandon Jacobs). I was really shocked at all the blown coverage in this entire game. There's no more saying that the defense is going to step up when we need them, cause we desperately needed a stop and they failed. We desperately needed to stop a 2 point conversion and we failed. The interceptions can't sugar coat it anymore, our defense is absolutely terrible.

The Giants did a good job shutting down Rodgers, and we barely escaped by the skin of our teeth thanks to our quarterback. It just shows with this terrible defense, if they can't stop anyone come post season, and Rodgers and the offense gets shut down, we're really going to be in deep water. I am totally dreading playing an elite offense like New Orleans. If we play an offense that knows what their doing, and a defense that shuts down Rodgers like today, we're really going to be in trouble. The Giants don't have an offense like us, or we really would have been trailing early.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a migraine after this game.

Our defense COULD NOT STOP THEM AT ALL. Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz made our defense looks so horrible. Losing Charles Woodson didn't help, but it also don't help when you leave guys wide open on the final drive, and can't stop the run against an RB that has sucked most of the year (Brandon Jacobs). I was really shocked at all the blown coverage in this entire game. There's no more saying that the defense is going to step up when we need them, cause we desperately needed a stop and they failed. We desperately needed to stop a 2 point conversion and we failed. The interceptions can't sugar coat it anymore, our defense is absolutely terrible.
Couldn't agree with you any more!
Our defense gives me migraines too.

We pinned them at the 1 in the early 4th quarter or late 3rd.
Incomplete pass. 2nd & 10.
Short gain, 3rd & 7. Stop em here, and it's a punt and great field position, a chance for Cobb to actually return one.
Nope, big gain, and they kept moving...... we simply can't get stops. We get turnovers, but not against great QBs like Brees or Brady. They don't throw gift picks.

Only when we get a pass rush do we get stops....... and there's nothing other than a lot of Matthews and a little Walden.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score

Short gain, 3rd & 7. Stop em here, and it's a punt and great field position, a chance for Cobb to actually return one.
Nope, big gain, and they kept moving...... we simply can't get stops. We get turnovers, but not against great QBs like Brees or Brady. They don't throw gift picks.

Only when we get a pass rush do we get stops....... and there's nothing other than a lot of Matthews and a little Walden.

Yeah totally, I am worried about playing the Saints in the playoffs. I've watched them all year long, and they aren't as one dimensional as other pass heavy teams, the Saints are running the ball now, something we are struggling against when we made Brandon Jacobs look great today, and he's a big dude, we should have been all over him. When we played them earlier this year, they stopped the running the ball against us despite having success with it. Now they are running all over people.

What really bothered me about the defense is, before going into this game, Victor Cruz was the leading receiver for the Giants, and the most targeted by Eli. Our defense made no efforts what so ever to double cover him. It reminded me how they let Phillip Rivers pass to Vincent Jackson all...day....long and wait till the final 2 minutes to double cover him.

If we can't double cover a receiver that leads the opposing team by a huge margin, I am going to be worried about playing against Brees, because while he does key on Jimmy Graham in times, he also uses him as a decoy and distributes the ball around very well.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as this pains me today aswell,
We did have the guys in the black and white stripes on our side today.
The GJ touchdown was easily one of the worst calls in recent history.

If that had been a Giants touchdown that was confirmed a TD we would all be going ******* because there was no way that was a touchdown.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just remember, Bishop and Hawk were not there, and Woodson was gone for a part too..

Not saying that would have helped, but when you have 3 starters on D gone, your going to get some bad plays.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just remember, Bishop and Hawk were not there, and Woodson was gone for a part too..

Not saying that would have helped, but when you have 3 starters on D gone, your going to get some bad plays.

Some bad plays? that was abysmal.
All you ask the defense for is one stop and they can't do it.
Really worried about this defense going into playoffs.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Some bad plays? that was abysmal.
All you ask the defense for is one stop and they can't do it.
Really worried about this defense going into playoffs.

I'm not going to say it wasnt, cuz it was..My point was that we need to expect bad plays when 3 starters are out

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to say it wasnt, cuz it was..My point was that we need to expect bad plays when 3 starters are out

Yeh but even at that, all the big plays were in the secondary, that's not because there was lack of pressure due to hawk and bishop being out, because we had good pressure, and it's not because Woodson was out because he was on the field for the majority of the big plays that they made.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I loved this game. I thought the giants played up to their potential. Our D was really Banged up Two guys makeing only their second start at inside linebacker, losing Wood. Those long passes Manning threw were dead on and were covered well. They ran on us but without Hawk and Bishop in there I kinda expected that was going to happen.

But what I really loved about this game was the end. It came down to crunch time. 58 seconds. Are we the Champs or are we not. The biggest knock on Arron all year has been the lack of a game winning drive. Well we can put that one to bed. And WE ARE THE CHAMPS. I think we may be seeing this team again in January.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I don't know if you noticed, but the pass rush was there. It was hurrying Manning a lot, knocking him down, etc. The darn secondary couldn't cover squat. There were receivers running free all over the place. That made it easy for Manning to unload a quick release. The defense definitely needs help, but I think it needs help in coverage more than rush. If you rush a QB in 2 seconds and he gets the pass off in 1.5 to open receivers, it doesn't much matter who is up front.

Unomee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
12-0, that's great, but do have to wonder how long this can continue with such a porous defense; the D was burned on what, 3 or 4 long yardage passes? How many SB's have been won by teams with a less than stellar defense? The 2006 Colts are the only one I can think of; they managed to correct that in the playoffs so perhaps the Pack can do the same.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
12-0, that's great, but do have to wonder how long this can continue with such a porous defense; the D was burned on what, 3 or 4 long yardage passes? How many SB's have been won by teams with a less than stellar defense? The 2006 Colts are the only one I can think of; they managed to correct that in the playoffs so perhaps the Pack can do the same.

A team doesn't necessarily need a *stellar* defense to win the Super Bowl, but it should have at least a competent one.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just dont get it, why all of a sudden can't we cover anyone?
Last year we were known for being a great coverage team and possibly the best secondary in the league.

What has changed for it to go downhill so rapidly?

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
It's Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood Now
"Hello, boys & girls. Can you say 'twelve and zero'?
I THOUGHT you could."
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apoligize if somebody already asked about this but...... where was James Jones during this game? Was he hurt? I don't even recall seeing him on the field.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just dont get it, why all of a sudden can't we cover anyone?
Last year we were known for being a great coverage team and possibly the best secondary in the league.

What has changed for it to go downhill so rapidly?
Nick Collins is great. He's not just a guy. He's great, and he's a 6-year Packer who knows the system and his teammated.
People around the nation had no idea who he was really... even our fans totally underrated him.

I like Peprah a lot.
But A) he's not half the athlete Nick is. B) he's not as familiar with the team and scheme as Nick is simply from the lack of playing time = experience.

Anyone here remember how good the Colts were that one year when their safety Bob Sanders was healthy? And what difference it made when he was hurt, out, gone.

Members online

Latest posts