Official Game Day Thread: Packers @ Vikings - 10/23: WIN 33 - 27

PackAttack13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad was saying that when he has gone to packer games there, there was a packer bar that was near the dome. Anyone know if its still there and if its not anyone know of a place to go for a packer fan to have a good time before the game? Thanks.

Reaction score
I am hoping the Pack doesn't lay an egg in this one. Ponder will probably be the new QB which will give them a little life. Peterson is always a threat and yes Allen needs to be accounted for every time when the Pack are on offense.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are the Vikes really going to throw this Ponder guy under the bus.
The Packer Defense will blow this guy out.... for real.
I can see them stickin' with Mc***** for two more games ( Gb, Carolina) and then after dropping both of those games going to the rookie after their bye week.

Makes a little more sense. I know he will then, have to face the Pack in Green Bay but I mean if they start him this week and he gets crushed.... imagine how gunshy this rook will be IN GB.

I'm happy to see this purple team is such misery. LOL Did you see their owner laughing and smiling the other night when they were getting BLOWN OUT on Sunday Night Football in front of a national audience!?
What a sh*tbag!!

Have fun rooting for the L.A. Vikings Minnesota fans!!!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Don't worry guy, Allen sucks. So does Robison. BTW, did you notice how the Bears prevented Cutler from getting sacked? 7 people protecting him most of the game. I wonder if McCarthy will do the same.

Packers should roll on this one. I expect to see Flynn midway through the 3rd.

L

Lunchboxer

Don't worry guy, Allen sucks. So does Robison. BTW, did you notice how the Bears prevented Cutler from getting sacked? 7 people protecting him most of the game. I wonder if McCarthy will do the same.

I wouldent be too sure of that.

Its another Trap game after all. At least after that no more trap games.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I wouldent be too sure of that.

Its another Trap game after all. At least after that no more trap games.

I don't think it's a trap game. It's the Minnesota freakin' Vikings. The Packer locker room is probably getting pretty geared up for the game, just because it's the Vikings. Every game in the Metrodome could be a challenge and this team knows it darn well. In his presser, the Coach already said they are approaching this as an important game to win.

Reaction score

I did notice how well the Bears, with a poor OL protected Quitler. And Iwould like to think that our OL will provide the same protection for Aaron WITHOUT even having to use 7 people. Yes, it is a divison rival game in front of a loud Metrodome frenzied crowd, as usual, however, it will also provide us with a "FAST" track for our talented deep corp of receivers. I think we will get out ahead VERY quickly, put up a lot of points, silence the crowd and cruise in this one. If Ponder enters the game, as the case with any new rookie QB that gets his chance to convince his coaches that he is capable of a starting role, I sometimes become concerned that he could possibly play out of his mind and have the game of his life, but......not in this case. I'm hoping for some pick sixes and a lot of them!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ponder it is. You could look at this two ways. The Vikings think they are done for the year, figure to hell with McNabb, we want to see what our backup is like or maybe they think they have a better chance in the game with Ponder. Sucks for McNabb either way but at this point the Vikings need to do what's best for the Vikings. For the Packers, I think it matters little who is running the Vikings offense. Game planning for Ponder will be slightly more difficult. We don't have much film for Ponder besides his college so I was glad when he played in the Bears game. I had a feeling they'd be started him. Of all the Vikings QBs in the Bears game, and it was a revolving door, I really think Ponder played the best and showed the most promise. Provided they don't get him killed this year, I think he will be the primo QB for the Vikings in '12.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Ponder looked pretty sharp in the end of the Bears game. He made some quick decisions and fast passes. Maybe it would have been preferrable to face McFlabb?

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
WOO-HOO! By starting Ponder, the Vikings just increased their chances to actually put a few more points on the board and maybe hold on to the ball a little longer. I was hoping they would trade McNabb to the Raiders for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Glad Ponder is starting. This should make the game a lot more fun to watch since Ponder actually cares. McNabb seemed like he could care less if they won or loss.

I'll change my prediction:

Green Bay over Minnesota 36-17

SKOL VIKINGS!

~Val

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Val: Thanks for being a pretty cool cat. You're a true fan of your team (Kennedy half dollars were still silver in 1968!) and you appear to be a gentleman. I respect that very much! As I too think the Packers will dominate, I am sure this game will be a more of a contest than we think. The Vikings always play the Packers hard, regardless of where they are in the standings. I think your prediction of 36-17 is pretty accurate, but I feel it may be a "tough 36-17 victory." if that makes sense?

Also, I can tell that you are not a big fan of McNabb and I can guess why but let me ask you this: Do you think his play quality went wayyyy down hill after the Eagles traded him for that dog killing bastard? I do. I have always thought McNabb to be a pretty decent QB, but once the Eagles let him go he lost not only the team that he had been on since he was drafted, but also the coach that he has had since day 1, and the mental issue of being traded for a scum bag like Vick. On top of all that he has to learn a new offense (2 years in a row.) and expect to be a god-send.

Lastly, like your banner I too am a life-long fan of my team, although for me it is the Packers. Fan since '94 and until hell freezes over. BTW I am 25 years old, and I think I was about 8 once I really got into football. I started to understand the game and what it meant. My dad was born/raised in L.A. and is a die hard Rams fan, my step-brother was a Cowboys fan (I punched him SO hard in the chest when the Cowboys beat the Packers in the play-offs.) and I guess I just wanted to be different. So I picked the Packers and never looked back. As I learned more and more about the Packers I just became more and more of a fan. I hope my kids when I have them don't wanna be different, and I hope they decide to be Packers fans since my Wife is also a Cheesehead.

I'm sure we'll both be watching intently on Sunday. For what it is worth, if you happen to grab a beer or a soda during the game, I offer you a hearty CHEERS from afar.

Oh, quick note: Fox is offering up a choice of games for the late game on Sunday. Packers @ Vikings or Cowboys / Rams. I think and hope they will play the Packers game since 1) it is a bigger game and 2) Aaron Rodgers is from Chico, which is where I am from (I know, small world. I was stoked on draft day!) and the local Fox station usually offers up the Packer game when it doesn't run the same time as a 49er game. Long rant short, I hope to be watching the game w/ ya!

OP
OP
Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh, quick note: Fox is offering up a choice of games for the late game on Sunday. Packers @ Vikings or Cowboys / Rams. I think and hope they will play the Packers game since 1) it is a bigger game and 2) Aaron Rodgers is from Chico, which is where I am from (I know, small world. I was stoked on draft day!) and the local Fox station usually offers up the Packer game when it doesn't run the same time as a 49er game. Long rant short, I hope to be watching the game w/ ya!

I put up the tv maps link in the original post so it shows what game will be aired where you live.

PackAttack13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know ill get it. Ill be there at the dome rooting for the pack. Cant wait to see it. Hope everyone enjoys the game and has a good time watching it, on tv or in person. And as always GO PACK GO!!!

Loran

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised the Vikings are starting Ponder. I know Mcnabb has been bad but he always plays well against us.
Packers 30 Vikings 13.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Ponder will start Mcnabb will be behind him,so the d-line should have a field day ,Allen will try his best to get to a-rod will say maybe once or twice,even so a-rod will have his day think the vikes might get two field goals ,so Pack 47-6 vikes.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to be a little edgy about Packers-Vikings games; especially when the Packers are a clear favorite to win. There's been too many occasions over the years when these games have turned out to be unpleasant surprise upsets and this week could be one of those.

The Pack is 6-0 and the Queens 1-5 but that 1-5 could be misleading. Except for last Sunday night in Chicago Minnesota has been close and competitive in every game this season and could easily be 4-2 or better going in to this Sunday's match.

If Mike McCarthy is smart this week he'll only show films of the Vikings' Bears game to get the team footage of Christian Ponder. For the rest they would be better served viewing the Minnesota games against San Diego, Tampa and Detroit and their lone win against Arizona. They have big halftime leads in the first three and won over the Cardinals by 24 points. The Packers can be confident but not overconfident viewing those examples of their opponent's potential.

While it's not the "house of horrors" it used to be the Metrodome has been, historically, a risky place for the Packers. And the Vikes play better at home than on the road and their motive for beating the Packers is higher than any other team for them. For Minnesota beating Green Bay is their "Super Bowl."

They were humiliated in front of a national audience last Sunday night so they'll also be seeking to redeem themselves. And they still have a lot of the pieces from the team that was just one play from going to the Super Bowl less than two years ago.

The issue of starting a rookie quarterback for his first career start can be a two edged sword. Nowadays in the NFL a rookie in that situation is about as apt to have a surprisingly good game and lift his team as come out dazed and confused. Weren't we chuckling and the media salivating about a mismatch between the Packers' defense and Cam Newton just a few weeks ago? The rookie made his mistakes and the Pack won the game but he also put up some numbers and made some plays that gave some anxious moments as well.

Ponder didn't look bad in his single quarter of play in Chicago last Sunday. Coming in down by 29 he made plays, moved the team, and showed an arm and an ability to withstand and escape a rush.

The Packers will be in this game without all-pro safety Nick Collins and with the other safety starter Morgan Burnett having a broken hand and playing with a cast. Good luck trying to bring down Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin with one hand. And they still won't have their presumptive best pass rushing end Michael Neal.

The Packers will also be playing the Vikings without left tackle Chad Clifton. In two games with the Queens in '09 with Clifton missing due to injury Minnesota tallied 14 sacks on Aaron Rodgers; with Jared Allen getting over half of them by himself. Last season with Clifton blocking Allen and protecting ARod's blind side both times Rodgers was sacked only 3 times. And Allen is having a monster year already sacking quarterbacks.

If Rodgers gets the protection he needs he should have a big day with his receivers overmatching Minnesota's secondary. But they have to be sharper about not dropping as many as they did vs. St.Louis last week.

That Rams game is what leaves me a little worried about this week. The Packers won easily but clearly played down to a weak opponent, despite claims to the contrary. Hopefully they won't make that mistake on the road against this team.

This is the first time in a long time that a Green Bay-Minnesota game is not for first place between these two in the division. But for Minnesota in particular it is for something still big and they can redeem the first quarter of their season to date by winning. I'm reminded of the 2001 and '02 seasons when the Vikings had double-digit losing seasons while the Packers were a 12 win playoff team. In each of those seasons the Packers went to Minnesota and lost decisively.

The Packers won't go undefeated this season. The first loss will come sometime, somewhere at somebody's hands. Like New England at Cleveland last season this one has the possibility so the Pack had best be prepared and play like they have a first rate opponent.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts