OFFICIAL DEFENSIVE ISSUES THREAD

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
And the chances are very good that that sort of defense will fail against a playoff-caliber team. We gonna rely on Drew Brees throwing an INT? Good luck. Or SF? Or a resurgent Detroit or Atlanta? Stafford and Ryan are both playing very well. The Packers will have to make some real stops for us to win those playoff games, and they have not shown that they can can do it. KC and Chi, two anemic offenses just ran and passed all over us.

It doesn't matter what disparaging words you or any doubting Packer fans have to say. I'm havin' a good time.

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not to worried & here's why:

Last week against KC ---> New QB / New Coach = No actual gameplan except to go out there and execute the fundamentals !
This week against Chicago ---> New QB / New RB = Defense has no idea what's coming there way !

All tho, those are not excuses. Our defense is not getting to the QB as much as they use to be getting last year and that's because of Jenkins loss. The guy was a monster on the D-line, Cullen Jenkins was not only a pass rusher but was also very good against the run. Unfortunantly Mike Neal hasn't provided the defense that extra boost on either side of the d-line. Losing Collins has a big factor in our defense play also, we lost a 3 time pro bowl safety. Collins provided excellent run support & his hits are pretty darn strong. (I remember seeing Peprah lay a hit tonight against Chicago up in the middle, well if that was Collins ... Chicago player would of dropped it.) Thus far our defense has downgraded from last year. We've lost 2 key components & made no signifiant upgrade. CM3 will never be able to pick up another sack until they line up another OLB that can actually cause the opposing offense something to think about.

* Walden needs to sit ... About 4-5 times this afternoon he couldn't tackle or got deked the hell out of him. His slow out there, I don't know if his injured or what but it's not the same Walden as last year.

The good part is that the defense is not as bad as stats say they are. A lot of games Dom Capers let's the opposing team come down field to waste time wich adds about 70-80 yards per game against the defense. The important thing is that the defense is not letting a lot of points on the board & is a turnover machine. I could care less if opposing team has 300 yards passing but have 2-3 ints ... let's do the math ... 300 - 350 yards passing + 2 ints = max 14 - 17 points for the opposing team.

Let's also not forget yes our defense might be letting a lot of yards but Aaron Rodgers is ripping threw any defense too. Our offense is dynamic except for the fact they kill drives cause of dropping passes and not the opposing team stopping them!

Good thing we got a bye week ... this team will be ready for the first playoff game, they have enough time to get coached!

Reaction score
I'm not to worried & here's why:

Last week against KC ---> New QB / New Coach = No actual gameplan except to go out there and execute the fundamentals !
This week against Chicago ---> New QB / New RB = Defense has no idea what's coming there way !

All tho, those are not excuses. Our defense is not getting to the QB as much as they use to be getting last year and that's because of Jenkins loss. The guy was a monster on the D-line, Cullen Jenkins was not only a pass rusher but was also very good against the run. Unfortunantly Mike Neal hasn't provided the defense that extra boost on either side of the d-line. Losing Collins has a big factor in our defense play also, we lost a 3 time pro bowl safety. Collins provided excellent run support & his hits are pretty darn strong. (I remember seeing Peprah lay a hit tonight against Chicago up in the middle, well if that was Collins ... Chicago player would of dropped it.) Thus far our defense has downgraded from last year. We've lost 2 key components & made no signifiant upgrade. CM3 will never be able to pick up another sack until they line up another OLB that can actually cause the opposing offense something to think about.

* Walden needs to sit ... About 4-5 times this afternoon he couldn't tackle or got deked the hell out of him. His slow out there, I don't know if his injured or what but it's not the same Walden as last year.

The good part is that the defense is not as bad as stats say they are. A lot of games Dom Capers let's the opposing team come down field to waste time wich adds about 70-80 yards per game against the defense. The important thing is that the defense is not letting a lot of points on the board & is a turnover machine. I could care less if opposing team has 300 yards passing but have 2-3 ints ... let's do the math ... 300 - 350 yards passing + 2 ints = max 14 - 17 points for the opposing team.

Let's also not forget yes our defense might be letting a lot of yards but Aaron Rodgers is ripping threw any defense too. Our offense is dynamic except for the fact they kill drives cause of dropping passes and not the opposing team stopping them!

Good thing we got a bye week ... this team will be ready for the first playoff game, they have enough time to get coached!

The thing is when we don't get those turnovers. The yards we give up will turn into points when we vs a good team.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the pass rush has not been great so they give up some big plays through the air when the QB has all day to throw. But that was balanced today by how they were able to give up a lot of yards on the ground.
With Jenkins gone, the only pass rush we create is when Clay gets 1 on 1, doesnt happen a lot, or when we blitz 3 or more wich results in somebody open. Sam Shileds is having an awfull year, the guy cant cover nobody, last year he played pretty good. Tramon, is like he is only playing for the picks, so we lost our shutdown corner, he need to get his s... together.
And the seconday is missing really bad Collins, he might be our best defensive back along with Woodson.
If we play a team that take care of the football in the playoffs, Rodgers needs to play lights out, because the defense cant carry the team like last year.
Clay, Woodson and Bishop are playing really good, but 3 guys cant make it for the rest of the defense.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what disparaging words you or any doubting Packer fans have to say. I'm havin' a good time.

Not saying you shouldn't be having a good time... We are 14-1 and have secured the #1 seed. But I'm also a realist and realize that this team has a pretty significant flaw heading forward and that "Good Time" could very quickly be squashed.

D

Dan115

The playoffs run through Capers D. He has three weeks before a playoff game. Get it together!

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am also worried sick about our defensive flaws but I am also confident in our coaches and players to be ready for a strong playoff run; this going to be fun to watch.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fun to watch or pure agony.

Some people see the glass as half full, others see it as half empty. I kind of like drinking from the hose. No matter how this season ends it has been a TERRIFIC ride! I'll take this kind agony over what my Bears and Viqueen friends are going through any day!! World Champs until somebody knocks us off, enjoy it as long as it lasts. Life is good right now.

Mighty Mike 77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to me there were way too many blown coverages, and a embarissing high number of missed tackles, and even the front was dominated by Chicago .....

they have to improve, you cannot lay all your hope on Aaron .... even the D has to play championship football if they wanna make it to the superbowl....

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Was good to see Bishop back last night.

But the tackling was horrible once again. Tramon even looked silly on the long YAC that got the Bears down to the 2.

But,as long as the o-line plays as well as they did, and Rodgers plays again like MVP that he is, the Pack can win any game.

go Pack!

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Hawk is so pedestrian. Once a game he makes a good tackle for no gain or a loss of one yard (then the Hawk lovers start squaking about how good he is) and then he goes back to making tackles after ten yard runs.

Look at his stats this year:

80 tackles
1.5 sacks
3 passes defensed
0 interceptions
0 forced fumbles

You can get that production out of a late round pick (like DJ Smith). Why are they paying $5million/yr. for that? Hard to figure why TT gave him a huge contract, but, it was a mistake.

Walden can't hold the edge vs. the run. Only 3 sacks, no forced fumbles.

If they can replace Hawk and Walden next year (I'll take Smith plus a first round pick or So'oto) they'll improve.

Also, Neal getting hurt was devastating because they only have Wynn and Wilson behind him. That really blew up on the Packers. Neal might still pan out next year if he can get healthy.

Bottom line, they need better 3-4 personnel at LB and DL, especially where starters like Hawk, Walden and Neal are concerned. Of the three, I only see Neal as someone still worth developing into a good starter, Hawk and Walden should be cut loose.

D

Dan115

Hawk is so pedestrian. Once a game he makes a good tackle for no gain or a loss of one yard (then the Hawk lovers start squaking about how good he is) and then he goes back to making tackles after ten yard runs.

80 tackles
1.5 sacks
3 passes defensed
0 interceptions
0 forced fumbles

You can get that production out of a late round pick (like DJ Smith). Why are they paying $5million/yr. for that? Hard to figure why TT gave him a huge contract, but, it was a mistake.

If they can replace Hawk and Walden next year (I'll take Smith plus a first round pick or So'oto) they'll improve.

Also, Neal getting hurt was devastating because they only have Wynn and Wilson behind him. That really blew up on the Packers. Neal might still pan out next year if he can get healthy.

Bottom line, they need better 3-4 personnel at LB and DL, especially where starters like Hawk, Walden and Neal are concerned. Of the three, I only see Neal as someone still worth developing into a good starter, Hawk and Walden should be cut loose.

They just gave Hawk a new $ contract last year I believe. They let Barnett go.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
We miss Nick Collins and Cullen Jenkins...

We physically just straight up CANNOT get to the QB. And fact is, ANY QB can make plays in this league when he is not being pressured. Doesn't help that we constantly seem to fall down, give the receiver a 5 to 10 yard cushion, blow an assignment or miss a tackle. The phases "Missed Tackle" and "Blown Coverage" are a weekly occurance. Usually multiple times a game. Really, it comes down to the fact that our defense is just flat out playing at a low level.

As the team stands right now... NO will beat us. Sorry to say. Defense needs to find some kind of enthusiasm. Anything at this point will be an upgrade. We made a QB that was coaching high schoolers 5 weeks ago, a 4th string RB and a WR core that doesn't even have a WR that would qualify as a solid number 2 on any other team look like SOLID NFL starting caliber players tonight. That **** has got to stop.

Totally agree.

All it takes is a defense that can hold Rodgers in check like KC did a few weeks ago, and we had multiple three and outs against Chicago last night. We run into a team like N.O. or S.F., if they can shut Rodgers down, Brees and co would easily rack up 500 yards on us, and I already feel like if we play the 49ers, Frank Gore will be busting the record doors down with 300 yards rushing.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

80 tackles
1.5 sacks
3 passes defensed
0 interceptions
0 forced fumbles

Completely agree. Hawk is brutally bad this year and Walden has done very little as well and always blows contain. I would put So'oto and DJ Smith in right now over both of them. I could care less that Hawk relays the defensive call. They played better defense when Hawk was out.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Honestly hawk is just an average MLB at best, and I agree that Dj smith would be the better option at this point. Kind of unfortunate we signed him after last year-He had a 1 good year out of 5 or 6, and I think we based a new contract off of too little. He is so slow in the middle and cannot cover the pass game if his life depended on it, and multiple times in the chicago game I saw him nowhere near the Bears Rb's or over pursuing the run.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Honestly hawk is just an average MLB at best, and I agree that Dj smith would be the better option at this point. Kind of unfortunate we signed him after last year-He had a 1 good year out of 5 or 6, and I think we based a new contract off of too little. He is so slow in the middle and cannot cover the pass game if his life depended on it, and multiple times in the chicago game I saw him nowhere near the Bears Rb's or over pursuing the run.

Bout time someone said it. It puzzles me why Hawk got a big $$$ contract. He's not very good. He's not great in coverage, he's not a very effective tackler and when he's sent in on a blitz he always seems to find a blocker. Not being good at all three of those things, it's a wonder how he can even play the linebacker position

I'm not going to label DJ Smith as the answer but when he did play he didn't seem to be any less effective than Hawk.

Last night hawk was just a blooper highlight reel. Unable to get to the QB, constantly slipping and falling down, weak *** arm tackles that Bell just laughed off.

I hope that Ted Thompson signs someone to help out up front before the deadline. I think giving up a 3rd or 2nd rounder for a solid Defensive End would be worth it.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give Mccown credit for his performance.
Yeah, and give Orton credit for his last week. Give Eli credit for his 2 weeks before. Give Freeman credit for his best game of the year by a mile. Give Rivers credit for his best game of a bad season.....

This defense very possibly is going to kill us just like the 2009 defense did. Rodgers was brilliant vs Arizona but he made 2 mistakes, which can happen to anyone. Except our turnover-dependant defense didn't have it happen at all to Warner, not even close.

Brees is playing at a level higher than Warner was entering that game. We just made him look perfect. We've made stiffs look great this year.... I don't know what Brees would do to us if he gets past the WC and then SF...... and we get past our 2nd round opponent.....

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Yeah, and give Orton credit for his last week. Give Eli credit for his 2 weeks before. Give Freeman credit for his best game of the year by a mile. Give Rivers credit for his best game of a bad season.....

This defense very possibly is going to kill us just like the 2009 defense did. Rodgers was brilliant vs Arizona but he made 2 mistakes, which can happen to anyone. Except our turnover-dependant defense didn't have it happen at all to Warner, not even close.

Brees is playing at a level higher than Warner was entering that game. We just made him look perfect. We've made stiffs look great this year.... I don't know what Brees would do to us if he gets past the WC and then SF...... and we get past our 2nd round opponent.....

Not much has changed for us defensively since we played New Orleans opening night. Our defense is still as bad as it was then. Only we don't have Collins now, but I refuse to believe that his presence would have made that much of a difference. He's an impact player and he force the only turnover of the game, but all of our defensive backs are capable of doing that.

In order to win against New Orleans again, our defense HAS to get to Brees. If we don't our defense is going to get picked apart just like it did last time. That is why I think it's a pressing issue that we attempt to aquire a defensive end that can help get some push up front because besides our porous tackling, it's our biggest issue defensively...Penetration and Pressure.

I am optimistic though, that playing at Lambeau gives us an edge that we didn't have opening night. Say what you want but Brees and the Saints in cold weather games have not been as effective in warm weather or indoors and that tips the scale in our favor and we need all the edge we can get.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

I hope that Ted Thompson signs someone to help out up front before the deadline. I think giving up a 3rd or 2nd rounder for a solid Defensive End would be worth it.
Trade deadline is long past and anybody available in FA the last week of the season would be no better than what we're complaining about.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts