Official Carolina game

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like the Packers, the Panthers have not beaten anyone that good this year (jags, texans, Saints, Buccaneers, Seahags, Eagles and Colts). Their one "signature win" may have been at Seattle and it took a 4th quarter comeback to do it. Personally I think the keys to the game are: Our Defense needs to contain Newton and shut down Olson. On Offense, Rodgers has to remain patient, the coaches have to give the running game a chance to get going and open the field up with a few deep routes early.

Hoping the "short week" takes a lit bit of the home field advantage away from Carolina, The Packers step up their game on both sides of the ball and Carolina fans are left wondering after the game "hmmm....maybe we aren't legit?"

Packers 28-24

I agree with pretty much most of this, but I think the issue goes beyond just the strength of schedule issue, I think the bigger issue is the handling of success factor. In our case we've been in this place so many times, we've made the playoffs 6 years in a row, and 7 out of the 9 years McCarthy's been coaching. We've been used to the limelight factor, we've been in big games like last year's game vs the Patriots and games before then, we've become used to having a target on our backs. Handling success is nothing new for us.

For Newton and the Panthers and where they are right now, I'm not so sure they've really felt the heat yet of being in the limelight yet at this point in a season. They did sneak up on everyone and kinda got into that 2nd seed spot in the playoffs in 2013, but this time they are right out in the open and got the bounty on their head (figuratively speaking, not New Orleans type bounty). I think we all want to see what they do when the chips really are down.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's Carolina's rushing game against our rushing defense, and that's not a good matchup. Newton is a bigger problem with his feet than his arm as well, which scares me. Before the Denver game--which I thought we'd win-- I was more worried about this game. Now I'm even more worried. And with the Yikes at home in a winnable game, we could easily be tied for the division lead by Sunday night. So I'm going with Pack 24 Carolina 20;
Yikes 27 Rams 30 giving us a 2 game lead at the halfway mark of the season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think we can do things against their defense; I'm most curious to see what , if anything they do different, and how they'll make any needed adjustments.
I've seen some of Newton this season, and IMO he's a much better QB now than in years past. But the #1 task for the Packers D will be stopping them on the ground and containing Newton. Hope CM3 is good to go; he's gonna have a big role.
Tough, back and forth game not decided until the final minute.
Packers, 24-20

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's a couple of quotes from McGinn's scouting report on the Panthers: The first evokes some bad memories for Packers fans:
"I'd compare him to (Colin) Kaepernick when he took San Francisco to the Super Bowl," said one of the scouts. "The things he did against Baltimore in that game were comparable to what this guy does. "Kaepernick had an elite year running and throwing, and he had a pretty good defense to help him. That's kind of the formula Carolina is dealing with."
Fifth-year coordinator Sean McDermott, a Jim Johnson disciple along with coach Ron Rivera, uses the 4-3 defense and has an extensive blitz package to go with it. The Panthers tend to play more zone than man, but are as diverse as almost any team and change week to week. The Panthers rank fifth in takeaways (16), and 10th in yards (342.6) and points (19.4).
Rodgers usually makes opponents pay for blitzing and the Packers offense usually does better vs. zones than man, but I'll post the same thing I did before the Denver game: A lot will depend on whether we see the Aaron Rodgers who we've been accustomed to seeing.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...rs-scouting-report-b99609136z1-340031741.html

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJV, I think we'll see "good" Rodgers this week. I just can't picture him having two bad weeks in a row.
Also, Packers haven't lost two in a row with Rodgers at QB since 2010.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got a feeling the chat's going to be very heated tomorrow around noon between naysayers and optimists
I don't think i've read or posted there once. I know I won't be there at game time. and even if we lose to an undefeated team on the road tomorrow, I still won't think our season is over :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Ty Montgomery, Quinten Rollins and Sam Shields have been downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game.

Bryan Bulaga (knee, probable), T.J. Lang (illness, probable) and Mike Neal (hip, questionable) have been added to the injury report.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think i've read or posted there once. I know I won't be there at game time. and even if we lose to an undefeated team on the road tomorrow, I still won't think our season is over :)

I think the person who thinks that the most around here is rodell, but I bet he said the same thing in 2010 when we were losing to all those "good teams" in the regular season.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't try to downplay how important tomorrow is, though the players should approach it like any other game. Win and we are definitely in the driver's seat for HFA. Lose, and not only do our HFA hopes take maybe a fatal blow, but we're suddenly in a fight with Minnesota just to take the division. Given how important HFA is to this team, that's pretty crucial.

It's not a death sentence if we lose and it's not a Super Bowl guarantee if we win, but for a regular season game at midseason, yeah, it's pretty huge.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty Montgomery, Quinten Rollins and Sam Shields have been downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game.

Bryan Bulaga (knee, probable), T.J. Lang (illness, probable) and Mike Neal (hip, questionable) have been added to the injury report.

When does the active list come out? Wondering if we'll see any action out of Gunter with Rollins and Shields down. Been curious to see if he can keep up in a real game.

D

Deleted member 6794

When does the active list come out? Wondering if we'll see any action out of Gunter with Rollins and Shields down. Been curious to see if he can keep up in a real game.

90 minutes before kickoff, I'll post it here tomorrow.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't try to downplay how important tomorrow is, though the players should approach it like any other game. Win and we are definitely in the driver's seat for HFA. Lose, and not only do our HFA hopes take maybe a fatal blow, but we're suddenly in a fight with Minnesota just to take the division. Given how important HFA is to this team, that's pretty crucial.

It's not a death sentence if we lose and it's not a Super Bowl guarantee if we win, but for a regular season game at midseason, yeah, it's pretty huge.

Another thing, how do you know Todd Gurley isn't going to run melee over the Vikings tomorrow? They didn't do too good at stopping Carlos Hyde week 1, I could see the Rams going in there tomorrow and causing trouble.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing, how do you know Todd Gurley isn't going to run melee over the Vikings tomorrow? They didn't do too good at stopping Carlos Hyde week 1, I could see the Rams going in there tomorrow and causing trouble.

I don't. I think the Rams could definitely pull it off, but I sure wish it was in St. Louis, gotta give the edge to Minnesota at home. I'll definitely be rooting for the Rams of course.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't. I think the Rams could definitely pull it off, but I sure wish it was in St. Louis, gotta give the edge to Minnesota at home. I'll definitely be rooting for the Rams of course.

Vikes beat Rams in St. Loo in last year's opener 34-6.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can only expect gb to come out like a champ who just got knocked on their butt unexpectedly. Rodgers will be cutting off chunks. The front 7 will be eating Cam sandwiches for a week. Carolinas turn to look like fece.

D

Deleted member 6794

As an information for all of our posters in the UK, today's game will be broadcasted live by Pick TV, a free, over-the-air station.

Latest posts