Offical studs and duds lions

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After last year and the start of this one, we should all be banned from making predictions again :).

We all know what happened last year and now this year we were all in angst about our run defense and inside linebackers and thought out DBs would be lights out. And here we sit with a very good run defense, a dramatic step up in our linebacker play, and dbs that are slipping, tripping, and nowhere to be seen on every 3rd and long.

When they get it figured out back there we could really have something in defense.

I think getting Shields back and getting Randall and Rollins to take a more conservative approach should work wonders for that part of our defense.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an encouraging trend, Nelson's ypg and ypc have steadily improved through the first 3 games. This supports the notion that Jordy is learning to trust his knee and starting to play faster. Perhaps he will recover his old form.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wimm, given how bad the back end of our pass defense has looked getting them to the level of mediocre would be a wondrous transformation.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wimm, given how bad the back end of our pass defense has looked getting them to the level of mediocre would be a wondrous transformation.

True. The secondary is able to perform on a much higher level than early this season. If they play up to potential the entire defense could turn into a pretty good unit.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not as if they can't though. I'm not going to sit here and say they've been great, but they are capable of it. Right now it seems to be consistency and communication that is responsible for giving up these big plays, but most of those guys back there have shown a much better level of play as well.

They have a lot of work to do, but people didn't think Randall and Rollins we're going to be cornerstones in this secondary because they played and looked like turds all last year. They have more than enough ability, now they have to turn it into consistency.

Sky King

Reaction score

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those who watch the JSOnline weekly video series with Tom Silverstein and Leroy Butler you have already seen what Leroy has to say on the matter (after the game with the Vikings). It's well worth the few minutes it takes to watch the videos:

http://www.jsonline.com/media/cinematic/video/90784780/xs-and-os-with-leroy-butler-92116/

http://www.jsonline.com/media/cinematic/video/90784788/5-questions-with-leroy-butler-92116/
This was already posted in threads about the Vikings game.... Why is it in this thread about the Lions?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has never been able to play a complete game under MM and Capers. They either start fast and finish slow...or the opposite. How do you completely lay an egg in an entire half of football? If BB is coaching this team or even Holgreen Rodgers throws 8 touchdown passes easily and the Packers win easily.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was already posted in threads about the Vikings game.... Why is it in this thread about the Lions?

Well on his first point I'm not sure about the Packer offense not being the same as in 2010. Truth is that the 2010 offense was downright ugly at times. IMHO we have better talent on the offensive side of the ball than we did that year. Running James Starks is a distant second to Eddie Lacy, James Starks is the guy who brought balance to our offense in 10.

The Jordy Nelson point may have been premature.

Like The run Eddie Lacy bit.

The 30 yard passes on 3rd and 4, I'm ok with a kill shot a game on 3rd and short or 3rd and manageable, just not every time it's 3rd and short.

D. Randall agreed on Leroy's analysis 100%, kid needs to clean up his fundamentals play to his help and play more inside leverage. He is a plus athlete who gets away with a lot of stuff against number 2s, but he needs to become a more precise player.

Last edited:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That second Rodgers to Jordy touchdown was vintage :inlove:

Everyone seems to be on the same page for this game though. Amazing first half, frustrating second half. We got the W and Aaron looks like he has his confidence back, that's all I care about.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That second Rodgers to Jordy touchdown was vintage :inlove:

Everyone seems to be on the same page for this game though. Amazing first half, frustrating second half. We got the W and Aaron looks like he has his confidence back, that's all I care about.

And the early bye is coming at a great time, need to get our guys healthy, and it'll give our coaches a great chance to coach up our depth.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the early bye is coming at a great time, need to get our guys healthy, and it'll give our coaches a great chance to coach up our depth.
We need Shields back. He makes this secondary SO much better it's insane, and we're going to desperately need him for the Giants game.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need Shields back. He makes this secondary SO much better it's insane, and we're going to desperately need him for the Giants game.

Well we'd be ok without him but Randall isn't seasoned enough yet. I love that the bye is coming after Randall's last two games, get him locked in and there's no reason that he can't turn into a legit number 1 corner. His issues are very basic and very fundamental. His confidence and swagger are strengths... to a point. We don't need heroes on the back end. As Dr. Leroy said we just need to cover receivers a bit longer and we'll start racking up the sacks. It's crazy how many sacks we've produced given how bad our coverage is.

Reaction score
I did note that Butler said Detroit runs similar packages in his example with Ebron etc.. But what I appreciated the most is what I've been harping on for weeks. Butler said we need to be more aggressive on the WR during success with the pass rush rather than panicking off the LOS. Our DBs have to be confident that the safety can support the long ball and then let the DB play the short field tighter out of the blocks
Which my theory is that this disrupts timing
This was very enlightening about the QB failure to go through progressions and get jumpy a second too early. I would've probably blamed the ability of the WR to seperate like many in here until looking more closely.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs were Aaron, Jordy and Nick Perry. Duds were Randall, Hyde and Cook. Cook has a serious ankle injury on a pass that hit him in the shoulder pads. Now that's embarrassing. Though he didn't make any splash plays, Kenny Clark is holding up.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs were Aaron, Jordy and Nick Perry. Duds were Randall, Hyde and Cook. Cook has a serious ankle injury on a pass that hit him in the shoulder pads. Now that's embarrassing. Though he didn't make any splash plays, Kenny Clark is holding up.

Clark is doing the kind of unsexy yeoman's work that he was brought in to do. Be a block eater to allow those ILBs Mike Daniels and OLBs to make plays. Somebody's got to stack up the inside blockers.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark is doing the kind of unsexy yeoman's work that he was brought in to do. Be a block eater to allow those ILBs Mike Daniels and OLBs to make plays. Somebody's got to stack up the inside blockers.

I agree

I guarantee though that at the end of the year we'll have a few posters call him a bust because he didn't fill up the stat sheet

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree

I guarantee though that at the end of the year we'll have a few posters call him a bust because he didn't fill up the stat sheet

For sure. There were even some posters last year complaining about Mike Daniels since he didn't put up big stats.

Reaction score
Yes. What's refreshing is that Clark essentially replaced Guion for 3 Qtrs at MN and then all of Detroit yet production never wained. This is very, very encouraging. Having Guion and Pennel back over the next few weeks should conceivably keep us fresh and give us a nice goal line package of Daniels, Guion, Clark and Pennel. That's a load to move

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. What's refreshing is that Clark essentially replaced Guion for 3 Qtrs at MN and then all of Detroit yet production never wained. This is very, very encouraging. Having Guion and Pennel back over the next few weeks should conceivably keep us fresh and give us a nice goal line package of Daniels, Guion, Clark and Pennel. That's a load to move

This year he's a quality depth guy and snap eater, but he'll grow into a quality steady 34 NG. He's looking like a good pick right now, especially since Ryan Martinez and Thomas have played as well as they have.

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NT and DT's are incredibly underrated. Not every one of them is gonna be prime Ngata or like the Vikes Linval Joseph. Most of them just battle in the trenches and are pretty unheralded. Not until your old like Wilfork, etc and paid your dues do people start recognizing you.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well on his first point I'm not sure about the Packer offense not being the same as in 2010. Truth is that the 2010 offense was downright ugly at times. IMHO we have better talent on the offensive side of the ball than we did that year.

The Packers have more talent at running back than the 2010 team but the current receiving corps is inferior compared to six years ago.

Our DBs have to be confident that the safety can support the long ball and then let the DB play the short field tighter out of the blocks.

Unfortunately the safeties haven't been able to provide help over the top on long throws, therefore cornerbacks being too aggressive has resulted in several big plays.

Will Cook be healthy for the NYG game?

No.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone know what "Illness" Randall was battling throughout the game on Sunday? I have seen it mentioned in a few articles but nothing specific, just that he had to leave the game a few times because of it
While he did have a terrible day, I almost forgot about the play in the first half when you ripped the ball from Ebron and made a nice return setting the Packer offense up for another score.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...nsider-thumbs-up-perry-down-randall/91035128/