Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Offensive Line
Aaron Rodgers
Jordy Nelson
The entire front 7 save for Nick Perry.

Duds:

Secondary and Demarious Randall in particular, he's trying to do way too much.

Now some of you might wonder why I excluded Nick Perry from the stud category. Because stud doesn't cover what a beast he has been on the outside of our defense. Dude is getting sacks and he has been absolutely wrecking run plays. Running at him has practically been a guaranteed TFL.
Perry looks great. Bringing him back looks like an excellent decision thus far.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Perry looks great. Bringing him back looks like an excellent decision thus far.

So far so good for Perry. His $5 M contract is all of a sudden looking like a bargain. If he keeps playing this well and stays healthy, TT and Packer fans will wish they had signed him for longer then 1 year at or near that price. Both Perry and Jones are starting to play up to their potential and while that is a great thing for the Defense in 2016, it may price them off the Packers in 2017.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I really wanted kendricks. Randall playing like he has is a bit upsetting, he needs to step it up.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wonder how many 200 yard receiving games we've given up over the last 3 or 4 years compared to other teams.

There have been a total of 27 games by receivers with at least 200 receiving yards since the start of the 2012 season. The Packers have given up four over that span, most in the league.

Randell- I'm at the point we're I'd be good with sliding him down the depth chart for a few games till he stops playing like crap

True, unfortunately with Shields and Burnett out the Packers didn't have enough healthy cornerbacks to bench him.

You continue to miss why they had a poor showing in the second half. Bad packer defense. The lions offense stays on the field and doesn't give the packer offense opportunity a chance to move the ball.

The Packers offense had a chance to move the ball in the second half
as well. It's true the unit only had four drives and two of them ended up being successful (field goal, run out the clock). Nevertheless the two unsuccessful ones contributed to the Lions nearly getting back into the game.

There's no denying the defense is mostly to blame for the game ending up way closer than necessary though.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, unfortunately with Shields and Burnett out the Packers didn't have enough healthy cornerbacks to bench him.

Well he will slide down once Shields returns. Though I hope he'll improve immensely with a bye week given that his struggles are largely the result of him trying to do too much, if doesn't clean it up I wouldn't be surprised if Hawkins steals the number 2 spot from him. A bit of a stretch to see an undrafted rookie there but Randall and Rollins have been setting a low bar.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well he will slide down once Shields returns. Though I hope he'll improve immensely with a bye week given that his struggles are largely the result of him trying to do too much, if doesn't clean it up I wouldn't be surprised if Hawkins steals the number 2 spot from him. A bit of a stretch to see an undrafted rookie there but Randall and Rollins have been setting a low bar.

Hawkins was beaten badly on Jones' 73-yard touchdown reception shortly before halftime as well though.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Rodgers - nothing wrong with him
Jordy - he looks like he's all the way back
OL/Lacy - Solid game
Run defense - 3rd straight solid game

Duds:
Secondary - Can't cover anyone, Randall has been terrible. Scheme sucks
MM - Obviously he didn't learn anything from the NFC championship game vs Seattle. Conservative game calling in second half made this game way to close. Should have been a laugher but he let Lions back in by going ultra conservative in 2nd half.

D

Deleted member 6794

Conservative game calling in second half made this game way to close. Should have been a laugher but he let Lions back in by going ultra conservative in 2nd half.

McCarthy's play calling wasn't responsible for the offense only putting up three points in the second half but lack of execution on pass plays.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we should have scored 60.

Why do people keep focusing on the score as opposed to the continuing issues on offense? It's been a year since this team looked good on offense consistently and yet people point to point totals as if that's an excuse. Hooray. We scored a bunch of points on a terrible team in the first half and then the offense looked bad in the second half. Terrific, hopefully the playoffs will be shortened to one half this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why do people keep focusing on the score as opposed to the continuing issues on offense? It's been a year since this team looked good on offense consistently and yet people point to point totals as if that's an excuse. Hooray. We scored a bunch of points on a terrible team in the first half and then the offense looked bad in the second half. Terrific, hopefully the playoffs will be shortened to one half this season.

I don't think there are any posters who are satisfied with the offense's overall performance in the second half. Conservative play calling wasn't responsible for the unit struggling though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You continue to miss why they had a poor showing in the second half. Bad packer defense. The lions offense stays on the field and doesn't give the packer offense opportunity a chance to move the ball.

I repeat: they had four drives in the second half. Four. What level of unattainable perfection do you want from them?

The bad Packers'd defense lead to bad offense? No. That's a cheap excuse for bad offense. Second series of offense in the second half....Lacy gets 2 yards on first down, Rodgers gets sacked, Cobb doesn't make the catch. Yeah, that's on the defense. Third series on offense in the second half...Rodgers incompletion to Davis, Starks loses a yard and then Rodgers throws short of the first down to Starks. I guess if our linebackers were better that would have been a better offensive series?

And the first drive of the second half? The one that people point to as proving our offense could still score? The two longest plays on that drive were Rodgers running; the first was negated due to penalty and the second set up the Packers in field goal range. Sorry if I'm not seeing that as a consistent offense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there are any posters who are satisfied with the offense's overall performance in the second half. Conservative play calling wasn't responsible for the unit struggling though.

And yet for months, all I hear are excuses for why McCarthy is great offensive coach and yet I don't see a great offensive team.

D

Deleted member 6794

And yet for months, all I hear are excuses for why McCarthy is great offensive coach and yet I don't see a great offensive team.

The Packers two drives ending in a punt were a result of a terrible drop by Davis as well as an off throw by Rodgers to Cobb. There's no reason to blame McCarthy for it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I am not ready to declare the Packers offense as "fixed", the first half of football was a positive sign yesterday. I think we are all aware that this was done against a poor defense that was made even weaker with some key injuries. While AR and the passing game finally got on track in the first half, the player that impressed me the most yesterday on offense was Eddie Lacy. Yes, only 3 games thus far, but whatever Eddie did in the off season seems to be working. He will never be a break away AP like runner, but the guy is pounding the ball, hanging on to it, picking up yards after contact and making defenders pay the price for tackling him As long as he stays healthy and can stay in shape, I really like what I see from Eddie and what he gives the Packer offense.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Rodgers, Lacy, Nelson, OL, DL
Duds: Randall (what's gotten into him lately?)

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt that Randall has struggled mightily over the last two games and has to significantly improve.

This is where good coaching comes into play, he doesn't need to player better so much as he needs to play smarter. He's biting ******* every short move and he's doing it even when he doesnt have safety help over the top. A more conservative approach would work wonders for his game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After last year and the start of this one, we should all be banned from making predictions again :).

We all know what happened last year and now this year we were all in angst about our run defense and inside linebackers and thought out DBs would be lights out. And here we sit with a very good run defense, a dramatic step up in our linebacker play, and dbs that are slipping, tripping, and nowhere to be seen on every 3rd and long.

When they get it figured out back there we could really have something in defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Duds: Randall (what's gotten into him lately?)

It's not a matter of what has gotten into him its a matter of everyone getting bye him. :coffee:

While he has looked terrible at times out there as of late, I think he is still learning his craft and will be fine. He has shown enough good instinct and athleticism to fix the things that he is doing wrong.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After last year and the start of this one, we should all be banned from making predictions again :).

We all know what happened last year and now this year we were all in angst about our run defense and inside linebackers and thought out DBs would be lights out. And here we sit with a very good run defense, a dramatic step up in our linebacker play, and dbs that are slipping, tripping, and nowhere to be seen on every 3rd and long.

When they get it figured out back there we could really have something in defense.

Same could be said about the doom and gloom some of us cast about our ILB group (me included :whistling:).

Similar to last year when most (not me :D) were thinking that the Packers had one of the top WR groups in the NFL. :coffee:

Members online

Latest posts