Offensive Talent

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to fault you for being late to the discussion, nor for getting things incorrect due to not realistically being able to follow every post I or someone else makes. My position of thinking the Packers WR group was too inexperienced, unproven and comprised of mostly later round or UDFA's is the same now as it was 6 months ago. I wasn't confident in them then, nor am I now. Thus, I have been preaching signing a FA for a long time. So yes, that was part of the discussion then and continues to be.

Billy Turner was paid $28 M for 4 years, that, along with cutting Daniels would have been plenty of money to sign a #2 FA WR off my list of 5, 2 of them without having to cut Daniels. I agree with you, using hindsight right now to say Turner now appears to be a good signing, isn't really fair to bring into the discussion. Seems to me most posters here lambasted Gute for signing him anyway. I actually would still say knowing what I know now, I would still have preferred a WR being signed over Turner.

I'll be honest, its annoying to keep repeating myself as new people jump into the "debate", I've said my peace and respect Mondio's opinion, as well as anyone's, even if we don't agree.

I'm looking forward to the next 13+ games and hope that every one of our WR's proves me to be an idiot.

Hold on.... Are people just accepting the espn rankings that have Turner ranked the best pass blocking Guard in the league and Lane Taylor ranked #3?

I challenge anyone to watch the Bears and Vikings games again and say with a strait face that they agree with those matchup win percentages

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hold on.... Are people just accepting the espn rankings that have Turner ranked the best pass blocking Guard in the league and Lane Taylor ranked #3?

I challenge anyone to watch the Bears and Vikings games again and say with a strait face that they agree with those matchup win percentages

Slow your roll. I wasn't crowing Turner the best pass blocking guard in the NFL, I was merely responding to someone asking who I would have not signed in Free Agency, in order to sign a WR and Turner would have been my option to not sign in order to do that.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Aaron Rodgers that I am watching now is simply not the Aaron Rodgers that I have watched in the past. I see a timid approach, an almost scared body language from him every week. Is he afraid of injury? If he is, I completely understand but that won't fly for this team. When is the last time anyone saw him drop back, plant his feet and fire a pass on a rope? I honestly don't remember. It's like he walks on eggshells. Just weird. Conversely, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Rodgers is purposely trying to fly under the radar. It is actually refreshing to not hear every little thing that is going on in his life. Let everyone talk about Tom Terrific and Patrick "already crowned king" Mahomes while Rodgers sneaks into the mix later on when it matters. Maybe.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some more great stuff from Ben Fennell:

When Rodgers passes in under 2.5 seconds this year, he has a 79% completion rate and zero sacks.

When Rodgers passes after 2.5 seconds this year, he has a 48% completion rate and seven sacks.

I am not denying that the pass catching talent could be improved, and in fact I think these stats add support to the idea that what they need most is a weapon who is effective at uncovering early in the down, but I think the larger problem is that this offense isn't operating with rhythm.
all true BUT, as the great ben fennell pointed out last season, wr's HAVE BEEN uncovering early but weren't being thrown too. go ahead and pound on me now lol.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
all true BUT, as the great ben fennell pointed out last season, wr's HAVE BEEN uncovering early but weren't being thrown too. go ahead and pound on me now lol.

Both things are true at one. WR's are open and Rodgers isn't taking advantage AND they could use a weapon who is superior in that aspect of the game. I don't see any need to reconcile those two things.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLFs offense is predicated on being successful in the running game. So far we've been putrid in doing that. The play actions staple of MLF's playbook won't be as successful when the EDGE isn't fooled at all and has a free run at the QB.
The Aaron Rodgers that I am watching now is simply not the Aaron Rodgers that I have watched in the past. I see a timid approach, an almost scared body language from him every week. Is he afraid of injury? If he is, I completely understand but that won't fly for this team. When is the last time anyone saw him drop back, plant his feet and fire a pass on a rope? I honestly don't remember. It's like he walks on eggshells. Just weird. Conversely, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Rodgers is purposely trying to fly under the radar. It is actually refreshing to not hear every little thing that is going on in his life. Let everyone talk about Tom Terrific and Patrick "already crowned king" Mahomes while Rodgers sneaks into the mix later on when it matters. Maybe.

Did you miss the pass to Geronimo against Minny?

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLFs offense is predicated on being successful in the running game. So far we've been putrid in doing that. The play actions staple of MLF's playbook won't be as successful when the EDGE isn't fooled at all and has a free run at the QB.

Did you miss the pass to Geronimo against Minny?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slow your roll. I wasn't crowing Turner the best pass blocking guard in the NFL, I was merely responding to someone asking who I would have not signed in Free Agency, in order to sign a WR and Turner would have been my option to not sign in order to do that.

Yeah I understand what you were saying but I just saw a few other posts that seemed to be saying how good hes been (largely based on ESPN stats that I can only call strait bs on) Apologizes if you thought I was calling you out

Yours was simply the last post I read that insinuated he was a good signing which I had to assume was because of stat rankings that are skeptical imo. I obviously agree that money wouldve been better spent elsewhere.

All that said with all the money that was spent on defense this offseason they're going to need to either improve the WR situation either internally or through the draft. Same with RT next season should Bulaga walk.

Just as a general statement not addressed to anyone.... With the money they've spent other positions need to be addressed cheaply (draft or internal development). It doesnt mean Gute has forgotten about a position group

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You agree now? We're starving for talent on offense.

Well, some of us were only saying this since well before the draft and telling the ignoramuses on here that defensive draft picks are a waste. Course those know nothing fools do not and will not get it that offense trumps everything in this league.

Put some real actual top tier receivers to match Adams in this receiving corps, and get a TE who can actually catch a ball. We need to get back to loading up this roster with offensive talent and beat our opponents by hanging 40 plus points on them when they score 34. A little more talent and we'd have done that tonight and the 34 points they scored would be meaningless.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You had me at Rodgers not being the same....Lost me at it being related to wanting to stay out of the spotlight

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, we need a new RT. I'm hoping Gutekunst gets that first, before adding a WR. Our red zone efficiency, and goal to efficiency, were, uh, HIGHLY INEFFICIENT! 43% and 33% respectively. 3rd down efficiency was the superstar stat, topping those others out at 55%... NOT GOOD.

Most of that, from what I saw, was Rodgers not having enough time in the pocket (?) to make his best decisions/throws.

Won't matter who we add at WR if we don't keep Aaron Rodgers healthy. It won't hurt to trade for a road grader to run behind as well. Two drives stalled at the 1 and 3 yd. lines? Seriously? Coming away with ZERO points???

Please trade for Trent Williams, Mr. Gutekunst.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
EQ loss looking more significant by the day. Never should have put him in IR
Not really IMO. Sure, he has potential, but most thought MVS was way ahead of him and look at where MVS is. I understand being excited about the potential of MVS, EQ, Lazard, Shepherd, but we shouldn't have been depending so heavily on any of them to be that big of contributors in 2019.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really IMO. Sure, he has potential, but most thought MVS was way ahead of him and look at where MVS is. I understand being excited about the potential of MVS, EQ, Lazard, Shepherd, but we shouldn't have been depending so heavily on any of them to be that big of contributors in 2019.

All true. But it would at least be somewhere to turn, MVS has not shown toughness or the ability to make contested catches.

Recourse? Trade for Emmanuel Sanders

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
the defense wasn't healthy last night. lot's of guys out.

Who? Hate to say it, but that sounds like an excuse and a bad one at that. The Eagles, had they lost, I might have listened to it. Packers got beat bad in the trenches on both sides of the ball, plain and simple.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Za'Darius was battling a knee. Montravius Adams still down with an injury. Tony Brown went down with a hamstring. Redmon went out injured. Not sure of anyone else.

But, you're right. No excuse. At all. Most disappointing of all to me, was a lack of adjustments by Pettine to shut down the run. That was not a strong running game, yet they nearly had 2 RBs go for 100 yds... Unacceptable.

Got some players worn out? USE SOME FRESH ONES!!!

ADJUST. Get it done.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Za'Darius was battling a knee. Montravius Adams still down with an injury. Tony Brown went down with a hamstring. Redmon went out injured. Not sure of anyone else.

I know what you are trying to say, but besides Z-Dog, who did play 76% of the snaps (47), None of those other guys shouldn't be replaceable. Adams has only been in there for 41 snaps all year.

It's a long season and guys are going to get hurt and nicked up, I would say that besides Adams injury, the Packers have been pretty fortunate on the injury front so far. Losing Adams at that stage of the game, definitely hurt the Packers, but they were still behind at that point, so I wouldn't even go so far as to say "losing Adams was the reason we lost".

I said it in another post, but maybe because we were 3-0 and appearing to be a better team than we actually were and then having all of our weaknesses fully exposed in 1 loss, makes it harder to stomach than an ordinary loss.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, hey, hey my friend. I didn't say anything like that. Just listed players I knew who were injured. And I agreed with you.

Personally, I'm SO BURNED BY THE ******* OFFICIATING LAST NIGHT. The NFL is a mess.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hey, hey, hey my friend. I didn't say anything like that. Just listed players I knew who were injured. And I agreed with you.

I know you weren't. I originally was responding to other posters who seemed to be blaming Defensive injuries on the loss, you just got caught up in the crossfire. ;)

When this season started, I didn't expect to be 4-0 at this point or even 3-1. I think we all realize that this team is still short a few quality players at various positions, but I am encouraged by the progress, especially on the defensive side of the ball. They will lose some more games this year, but they have enough talent to win more than they lose IMO. It's just a matter of the coaches figuring out ways to get the best out of the talent that they have and the players to play up to their potential.

Who knows, maybe this loss will turn into the wake-up call that the whole Packer organization needs, the job is nowhere near finished at getting this team to a Super Bowl caliber one, keep working boys!

Members online

Latest posts