Offensive Lineman Lane Taylor Has Been the Unsung Hero for the Green Bay Packers

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The ability to develop offensive linemen and get them ready to play out of position might be the single most impressive thing to me about this team. James Campen is clearly one of the game's best at his position. And as far as we know, he doesn't even do cocaine!

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HA! Yeah, I don't think James is partying like the guy in Miami. I was critical of Campen in the past, but he has done an excellent job and should be commended, like I said in the article. Another unsung hero.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jake Ryan & Blake Martinez on the other side deserve a mention too. They really have upped their game this season.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez has looked good, especially against the run. Very happy to see that from him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HA! Yeah, I don't think James is partying like the guy in Miami. I was critical of Campen in the past, but he has done an excellent job and should be commended, like I said in the article. Another unsung hero.
so was I, often said Slocum could leave and Campen could follow right behind him. at least I was 50% on that one, better than most times :)

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slocum is a swear word, can't believe he held that job as long as he did!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cm3's been quietly good too. not getting many sacks but he is getting pressures and hits. he moves inside. he's been out there every game and almost every play.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agreed. #64 Justin McCray also deserves honorable mention. He's had several key blocks including the fake to Cobb in motion play action pitch end-around that Aaron Jones picked up 10 yards on 4th and 1 last Sunday. BTW that play action moving left completely psyched out the Dallas defense and was a brilliant play design IMO. The true silver lining this year has been this backup Offensive line play. Those guys make it all possible for Aaron Jones to rush for 6 yards a carry

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One wonders if McCray will be the next guy to develop into a starter. Time will tell.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jake Ryan & Blake Martinez on the other side deserve a mention too. They really have upped their game this season.

I agree that Martinez has significantly improved over his rookie season but it seems Ryan has taken a step backward as he has only played 32.6% of the snaps so far.

The true silver lining this year has been this backup Offensive line play. Those guys make it all possible for Aaron Jones to rush for 6 yards a carry

The backup offensive linemen seem to excel in blocking for the run but have to improve in pass protection though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree that Martinez has significantly improved over his rookie season but it seems Ryan has taken a step backward as he has only played 32.6% of the snaps so far.

Ryan doesn't look any worse to me. I assume his reduced role is more about Martinez passing him on the depth chart. They don't like to use two true inside linebackers at the same time very often.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Lane has exhibited what being a team player is all about. At the end of the day, what does it take to get the win? He's performed admirably in a position he's never played before to help the team. Has he been exceptional at LT? Not quite, but it's not from a lack of effort, and what he's brought to the table is most certainly better than the other options.

The offense is averaging 27+ a game on the season and 32+ in its last three games with a makeshift offensive line. I cannot wait to see the heights this offense can reach once our main 5 guys are healthy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ryan doesn't look any worse to me. I assume his reduced role is more about Martinez passing him on the depth chart. They don't like to use two true inside linebackers at the same time very often.

I agree that Martinez performing at a high level has resulted in Ryan playing significant less snaps than last season. While Jake definitely excels defending the run he doesn't offer a whole lot rushing the passer or in coverage though.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For developing interior OL... Campmen may be the best in the NFL no question... for Guards, Centers... I mean we've pretty much always had pretty good Guards and Centers even with low picks... it's amazing... dating back to the Scott Wells days lol

For Tackles I would like to see more consistency but that may be the drafting parts and/or injuries... we seem to always have injured tackles

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For developing interior OL... Campmen may be the best in the NFL no question... for Guards, Centers... I mean we've pretty much always had pretty good Guards and Centers even with low picks... it's amazing... dating back to the Scott Wells days lol

For Tackles I would like to see more consistency but that may be the drafting parts and/or injuries... we seem to always have injured tackles

That strikes me as a little odd as the Packers have a tackle tandem that's right there in the conversation with the Titans, Eagles, and Saints as the best in the league. And that's in a current climate where a lot of teams are forced to play a lot of bad tackles.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That strikes me as a little odd as the Packers have a tackle tandem that's right there in the conversation with the Titans, Eagles, and Saints as the best in the league. And that's in a current climate where a lot of teams are forced to play a lot of bad tackles.

I was talking in general...

Yeah Bahktiara and Bulaga are a top 5 tandem I think...

And when we had Tauscher and Clifton that was great too...

BUT...

in BETWEEN those tandems it's been trash IMO

D

Deleted member 6794

I was talking in general...

Yeah Bahktiara and Bulaga are a top 5 tandem I think...

And when we had Tauscher and Clifton that was great too...

BUT...

in BETWEEN those tandems it's been trash IMO

There wasn't a lot of time in between those tandems though as Bulaga immediately replaced Tauscher at right tackle during the 2010 season while Bakhtiari took over the starting job on the left side at the start of the 2013 season, approximately 1 1/2 years after Clifton last played for the Packers. There's no doubt the offensive line struggled with Newhouse protecting Rodgers' blind side for 19 games but you have to consider the team lost Sherrod, who was penciled in to be Chad's successor, to a devastating injury.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Another great extension by TT
Lol, you picking a fight? There were a number of posters here that said it was a dumb move for Thompson to give him that 2 year, 4 million dollar extension 18 months ago.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, you picking a fight? There were a number of posters here that said it was a dumb move for Thompson to give him that 2 year, 4 million dollar extension 18 months ago.
Everyone was furious when he extended Bakh, too.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There wasn't a lot of time in between those tandems though as Bulaga immediately replaced Tauscher at right tackle during the 2010 season while Bakhtiari took over the starting job on the left side at the start of the 2013 season, approximately 1 1/2 years after Clifton last played for the Packers. There's no doubt the offensive line struggled with Newhouse protecting Rodgers' blind side for 19 games but you have to consider the team lost Sherrod, who was penciled in to be Chad's successor, to a devastating injury.
Funny thing is, the much maligned Newhouse has cranked out a pretty good career for himself. He’s currently the starting RT for the Raiders and has a Super Bowl ring to boot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts