Offensive Line Solutions In House?/ update

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherrod had a 2nd surgery...But what type? To remove screws, or something more serious? No one seems to know, pretty tight lipped so far
"

Maybe Sherrod does not want the medical information concerning his surgeries to be made public. All U.S. Citizens have that right, even a NFL football player There is federal law protecting privacy of patient medical information..
I have signed many of these right to privacy forms, when receiving medical treatment in Doctor office medical clinic or a hosptial.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
"

Maybe Sherrod does not want the medical information concerning his surgeries to be made public. All U.S. Citizens have that right, even a NFL football player There is federal law protecting privacy of patient medical information..
I have signed many of these right to privacy forms, when receiving medical treatment in Doctor office medical clinic or a hosptial.

Yup me too

12theTruth

It really is a crapshoot with the O-line. As long as M-3, Philbin, and Campen have been here, lots of shuffling has occurred. With the same braintrust, and friend of M-3 in Campen leading the line the Packers will NOT become a competent run blocking unit. M-3 should have cut his losses and get himself an UPGRADE at O-line coach.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it's worth Newhouse has been much better at the Right Tackle position then left Tackle even though ultimately it will be Sherrod's position if he's healthy.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I hate to say it this way, but Sherrod probably isn't even in the running at RT. It'll be Newhouse or Barclay. Newhouse has the set, Barclay has the brain. Still say Barclay is a Guard.

Sherrod is going to be an all pro LT on some other team in 3 years...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By reports, it appears Sherrod had the same injury as Mike Flanagan in '96--tibia fracture with nerve injury. Flanagan, with a foot drop, missed all of the 96 and 97 seasons, was traded in the summer of 98, which was nullified because he couldn't pass the physical; and then played for the first time in Dec. of 98. He eventually became an all-pro after missing essentially 3 seasons. Sherrod was injured in Dec. of 2011. His ability to play most likely depends on the progress of his nerve injury, and it may be another year or more before he is able to contribute. But who knows? You get very little information on injuries.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nerves take a long time to regenerate. My thumb surgery was in spring 2011, the nerve was just bruised, and I still have numbness. It can take many years for nerves to grow and return to normal.

As for the line change, I like it. This is a significant reorganization of personnel versus the constant shuffling due to injury. I don't think that the timing of the is significant through the draft. Raise your hand if you felt we had any chance to draft a LT that could protect the $110 Million Dollar Man on Day 1. This restructuring was in the pipeline from about the time that the 2012 exit interviews occurred. The only timing aspect is that it was in time for the first camp. No need for TT or anyone else to give any information or tips to another team prior to the draft. Keep'em guessing.

Whether any of this turns into success is a whole question that we'll never fully answer. We've gone 15-1, won a super bowl, and won the division with our line the other way. It's going to be hard to pin an extra playoff win or Super Bowl appearance on merely the O-line flip. Regardless, it seems like a move in the right direction.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
By reports, it appears Sherrod had the same injury as Mike Flanagan in '96--tibia fracture with nerve injury. Flanagan, with a foot drop, missed all of the 96 and 97 seasons, was traded in the summer of 98, which was nullified because he couldn't pass the physical; and then played for the first time in Dec. of 98. He eventually became an all-pro after missing essentially 3 seasons. Sherrod was injured in Dec. of 2011. His ability to play most likely depends on the progress of his nerve injury, and it may be another year or more before he is able to contribute. But who knows? You get very little information on injuries.

Mike Flanagan's fibula, as well as the tibia were broken and he had nerve damage. Flanagan had 6 surgeries to get his leg right.*

* source : article in Milw JS dated August 11, 2011

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By reports, Sherrod's had 2 surgeries. The first was an emergency procedure the day of the injury in K.C.; and the second after he went on injured reserve last Nov. There are no details of what either surgery consisted of that I can find. There were a couple of articles last Jan. in the Press Gazette that mentioned "nerve damage" in addition to the fractures, but to my knowledge MM has never commented on this. He practiced last season, which I doubt would have been allowed if the fractures had not healed; so it could be the nerve injury holding him back. But there is nothing in the press that describes his actual injuries or treatment to this point, so this is all conjecture.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By reports, Sherrod's had 2 surgeries. The first was an emergency procedure the day of the injury in K.C.; and the second after he went on injured reserve last Nov. There are no details of what either surgery consisted of that I can find. There were a couple of articles last Jan. in the Press Gazette that mentioned "nerve damage" in addition to the fractures, but to my knowledge MM has never commented on this. He practiced last season, which I doubt would have been allowed if the fractures had not healed; so it could be the nerve injury holding him back. But there is nothing in the press that describes his actual injuries or treatment to this point, so this is all conjecture.

I have nerve damage in my left lower leg and any amount of pressure hurts like heck. I wouldn't be shocked if the nerves are causing the issue, because like him my bone healed but the nerve damage did not.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"

These rights can be waived. NFL players must waive their privacy rights to some degree, as evidenced by the public nature of things like injury reports. Nonetheless, it makes sense for franchises to keep the nature and extent of a player's injury quiet (for competitive purposes) unless reporting is required by the league.

FWIW, collegiate athletes enjoy much greater protections with regards to their medical/injury information. Of course, they're being exploited in other ways...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when I drew a comparison between the Flanagan and Sherrod injuries and was told they were dissimilar. :whistling:
Dont' know who said that to you, but you were right on. Flanagan had a great, but short career. Hopefully Sherrod will be a pro-bowler as well.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I have nerve damage in my left lower leg and any amount of pressure hurts like heck. I wouldn't be shocked if the nerves are causing the issue, because like him my bone healed but the nerve damage did not.
How long ago for your injury Rodell? I had surgery just over a year ago. Nerves are not 100% but it much, much better. I think everyone is different. I was told the nerve damage might never completely heal. I can run full strength on it though.
It seems Sherrod healed the fractures and then underwent surgery to repair nerve damage. There is no timetable or even a certainty if or when it will heal.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long ago for your injury Rodell? I had surgery just over a year ago. Nerves are not 100% but it much, much better. I think everyone is different. I was told the nerve damage might never completely heal. I can run full strength on it though.
It seems Sherrod healed the fractures and then underwent surgery to repair nerve damage. There is no timetable or even a certainty if or when it will heal.

I can still run like a gazelle and jump pretty well but i'm also in my mid 20's so i think that helps..but after all that i feel it for a day or two. It's also sensetive to the touch in that area as well, hurts real bad but those are the effects of the nerve damage. I don't think it will ever 100% heal.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it's worth Newhouse has been much better at the Right Tackle position then left Tackle even though ultimately it will be Sherrod's position if he's healthy.

I don't think he took enough snaps at right tackle to make any kind of judgment that he was better there. He was drafted in 2010 and since 2011 has been the mainstay at left tackle.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We knew Rodgers holds the ball a long time. Now we have a stat:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/56456/mailbag-time-in-pocket-for-all-nfcn-qbs

McCarthy's 2.5 second training camp buzzer didn't have any affect.

It is who he is. Expect sacks. Rearranging the O-Line "deck chairs" won't have much affect.

I'd take SF's offensive line and Rodgers 2.82 seconds.

But the point is, I think the reasons are both poor offensive line play(hard for me to get by Newhouse who is beat at the snap) and Rodgers holding the ball too long.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least in Rodgers we have a qb capable of extending a play and willing to take a sack versus chucking it across his body into triple coverage.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If 0.2 sec makes all the difference maybe Rogers is pressured 0.2 sec earlier than Stafford. Once pressured, mobile QBs move around, leading to more time in the pocket. Time to pressure isn't measured as far as I know. Seems to me there are many more plays where Rogers has virtually no time before he's pressured than those where he's standing around too long. According to CHFF (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/stats/), the Packers' offensive line ranks no. 21 overall, while the passing game ranks no. 1. It's the line, not Rogers, that's the problem.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the OL is most responsible for the number of sacks but it's not alone in responsibility; the scheme and Rodgers also share in that responsibility. In 2011, the Packers were incredibly successful with the deep ball and Ds adjusted to that by going more to 2 deep safety schemes. In doing so, they were not only "daring" the Packers to run but also to throw the ball in front of the safeties and play a more ball control style of offense. McCarthy's philosophy seemed to continue to emphasize the vertical game too much and that was a factor in Rodgers hanging onto the ball too long at times. So for me the order of blame for the number of sacks Rodgers takes is 1) OL; 2) scheme; and 3) Rodgers.

What I'm hoping for this season is not only a better performance from the OL, but also a scheme that takes better advantage of the D. Not only with a better run threat but also taking advantage of the underneath routes the Ds at times are "giving" them. And I think there's reason for Packers fans to have realistic expectations both of those things will happen. The Packers should have their best LT starting since Clifton left (admittedly not a high bar) and the only question mark on the starting OL is RT, which at least is easier to find than LT. I don't think it's a matter of just "rearranging chairs". Another OT will have a much greater chance of replacing Newhouse at RT than he would if Newhouse were going into OTAs and camp as the starter at LT. I expect the OL to be both a better run blocking and pass blocking one and I don't think that's unrealistic. And Wilde has reported that McCarthy will modify his scheme along these lines. That makes sense with better RBs to hand the ball off to and considering the number of sacks Rodgers has taken, Finally I would like to see Rodgers throw the ball away more often. I believe one of the stat sites determined Rodgers was responsible for 10 sacks last season. I'm not certain that was the number and it's a subjective determination anyway. No matter the exact number, I think we all agree he does hold onto the ball too long at times. Yes, a sack is better than an INT, but when time "is up" an incompletion thrown out of bounds, 10 feet over the tallest WR's (or DB's) outstretched hands is better still.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the OL is most responsible for the number of sacks but it's not alone in responsibility; the scheme and Rodgers also share in that responsibility. In 2011, the Packers were incredibly successful with the deep ball and Ds adjusted to that by going more to 2 deep safety schemes. In doing so, they were not only "daring" the Packers to run but also to throw the ball in front of the safeties and play a more ball control style of offense. McCarthy's philosophy seemed to continue to emphasize the vertical game too much and that was a factor in Rodgers hanging onto the ball too long at times. So for me the order of blame for the number of sacks Rodgers takes is 1) OL; 2) scheme; and 3) Rodgers.

What I'm hoping for this season is not only a better performance from the OL, but also a scheme that takes better advantage of the D. Not only with a better run threat but also taking advantage of the underneath routes the Ds at times are "giving" them. And I think there's reason for Packers fans to have realistic expectations both of those things will happen. The Packers should have their best LT starting since Clifton left (admittedly not a high bar) and the only question mark on the starting OL is RT, which at least is easier to find than LT. I don't think it's a matter of just "rearranging chairs". Another OT will have a much greater chance of replacing Newhouse at RT than he would if Newhouse were going into OTAs and camp as the starter at LT. I expect the OL to be both a better run blocking and pass blocking one and I don't think that's unrealistic. And Wilde has reported that McCarthy will modify his scheme along these lines. That makes sense with better RBs to hand the ball off to and considering the number of sacks Rodgers has taken, Finally I would like to see Rodgers throw the ball away more often. I believe one of the stat sites determined Rodgers was responsible for 10 sacks last season. I'm not certain that was the number and it's a subjective determination anyway. No matter the exact number, I think we all agree he does hold onto the ball too long at times. Yes, a sack is better than an INT, but when time "is up" an incompletion thrown out of bounds, 10 feet over the tallest WR's (or DB's) outstretched hands is better still.
Couldn't have said it better.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when I drew a comparison between the Flanagan and Sherrod injuries and was told they were dissimilar. :whistling:

They were dissimilar, Flanagan's was worse. I like Sherrod, and I think he's proven himself to be a fighter. He was put in an awful position with the lockout and he showed plenty of fight and moxxy against Atlanta and KC before his injury. I think his tooth and nail battle to comeback from an injury like that shows quite a bit of toughness and spirit.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read an article today regarding a reporters observations at the recent Packers OTA and he said he thought
that Sherrod was moving around pretty well and looked to be in great shape. He participated in the individual
drills, but not team drills so hopefully he is getting close.

Sorry, still looking for the source. Anyone else see this article?

Members online

Latest posts