Cheesehead
Reaction score
Long way to go but line had this configuration

Jenkins LT
Runyon LG
Meyers C
Patrick RG
Turner RT

Not terribly shocked as the drafting of a Meyers really allowed the luxury of Jenkins not being sucked into Center even as an option. I assume when Bahk comes back Patrick or Runyon slide out and Jenkins comes back in.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. It's not a surprising lineup but as we all know, it is just the first of many configurations that we will see between now and September. I am hoping to see Runyon make the best of this situation. We really need that. I have confidence in Jenkins anywhere, as well as Patrick and Turner on the right side.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patrick is OK but nothing special. I hope someone beats him out as they'd be better than just OK then.

I will be curious if any rookie from this year's class can separate themselves and maybe threaten, but honestly once Bahk is back I suspect Patricks' versatility and Runyon being young we will not mess with Runyon being a reserve, Patrick makes the perfect sense to step in nearly anywhere come injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

I will be curious if any rookie from this year's class can separate themselves and maybe threaten, but honestly once Bahk is back I suspect Patricks' versatility and Runyon being young we will not mess with Runyon being a reserve, Patrick makes the perfect sense to step in nearly anywhere come injury.

I'm fine with Patrick coming off the bench in case of an injury but don't feel comfortable in him being a starter.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with Patrick coming off the bench in case of an injury but don't feel comfortable in him being a starter.
I'm wondering what warrants this comment? I will fully agree that Patrick is no Pro Bowler at guard but I saw him step in as a full-time starter and do pretty well considering he's a walk-on. He's no Quenton Nelson but he's no slouch. I thought he held things together pretty well. I would like more but have no problem with him being the starter again.

I encourage the Packers to keep finding better players but don't think that Patrick is a hole that needs to be plugged.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm wondering what warrants this comment? I will fully agree that Patrick is no Pro Bowler at guard but I saw him step in as a full-time starter and do pretty well considering he's a walk-on. He's no Quenton Nelson but he's no slouch. I thought he held things together pretty well. I would like more but have no problem with him being the starter again.

I encourage the Packers to keep finding better players but don't think that Patrick is a hole that needs to be plugged.

For reference, Patrick saw 939 snaps in 2020. In those he was graded by PFF at 66.9 or the 34th highest graded Guard out of 68 that saw at least 500 snaps.

Jenkins was ranked the 23rd highest for reference. Lucas did very well...I'm higher on Runyon personally, BUT Patrick in his first real consistent play time did more than average and we could see a very impressive step in his "sophomore" season as a starter.

D

Deleted member 6794

So you weren't comfortable with the offensive line last year?

Of course I was comfortable with the offensive line for the most part of last season. You have to consider that Linsley is gone and Bakhtiari might miss significant time though.

Actually you're right about Patrick, I have to admit that I forgot that he started 15 games last year. It's true the Packers could do worse than having him start again.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As you pointed out, I think that one of the bigger obstacles to overcome this season will be piecing together some continuity without having Bakhtiari and Linsley. I am hopefully that they can do it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As you pointed out, I think that one of the bigger obstacles to overcome this season will be piecing together some continuity without having Bakhtiari and Linsley. I am hopefully that they can do it.
That indeed is the great challenge for Stenavich. Patrick IMO will be a major part of that. He will be immensely useful in bringing Myers along.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not worried about us doing well until Bahk is back, we have the guys with Meyers now, the issue will be what happens should one starter go down before Bahk is back. We don’t have a proven back up for that to step in

Reaction score
The one thing that’s comforting is the flexibility of our OL. We have multiple players who can play multiple positions. Some at a high level and some just serviceable level, but we showed last season how valuable that was.
Rodgers was one of the least sacked QB’s in the league. All that with multiple combinations of OL scenarios.

On a side note. I’m watching that Royce Newman pick to see when he gets up to speed. He’s played both LG and converted to RT. That’s really impressive.
He also started at RT against Alabama last October. Ole Miss put up the most Offensive yards performance ever allowed by Alabama (D ranked #13 in the country at 19.3/GM)
Alabama allowed 268 rushing-379 passing@647 yards and 31-1st downs and 48 points to Miss. Royce was the #1 ranked OL at Ole Miss in 2020. He was their Bulaga

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I’m not worried about us doing well until Bahk is back, we have the guys with Meyers now, the issue will be what happens should one starter go down before Bahk is back. We don’t have a proven back up for that to step in

I'm definitely concerned about Bakhtiari possibly missing a significant portion of the season. It's not an easy task to replace one of the best left tackles in the league.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm definitely concerned about Bakhtiari possibly missing a significant portion of the season. It's not an easy task to replace one of the best left tackles in the league.
No, but it is forcing us to deal with it this time. And hopefully we will be more ready later in the season if we have to be.

Reaction score
It’s a tough one, especially when the best OT in the league goes down later in a season. We obviously didn’t want to invest a bunch there at LT for obvious reasons, but that said as I look around? we’ve got quite a few guys who have experience playing OT from high school all the way to the Pro’s.
My guess is we’ll see Bak in the mix in late October-early November (mid season).

On a related side note, did you see our DT Slayton was one of the highest graded OG coming out of HS? That kid is a versatile athlete. He had his pick of nearly any college at OG but wanted to convert to DT

Last edited:
Reaction score
That indeed is the great challenge for Stenavich. Patrick IMO will be a major part of that. He will be immensely useful in bringing Myers along.
I think you just hit the nail in the head. We’ve been very blessed to have one of the best OL coaches in professional football. The only thing he needs to worry about job security wise is getting promoted.

He’s a big part of the reason I’m not overly concerned. I have tremendous confidence in Stenavich preparing his group for multiple scenarios in the event we employ a contingency plan.

Of course, having nearly every player competing at OL having experience at multiple positions is huge also.

I also love the full circle of him both being a team member and many years later.. a Coach. That just shows another example of there’s more to perfecting an art and helping a team than just putting up stats. He’s made a nice career out of Coaching and he’s impacting our play without ever so much as lacing up his cleats.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the draft I was beginning to believe Bakh would be back sooner rather than later. They drafted guys who may be better suited inside but could play outside. When I would read articles about GB draft they always mentioned that Bakh might not be available week 1. The fact that they were not saying until October or November was telling to me. Now come reports that the Pack are not ruling him out for week 1. I do not expect him to suit up for week 1 but this sure makes it look like he will be back much earlier than originally expected.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the draft I was beginning to believe Bakh would be back sooner rather than later. They drafted guys who may be better suited inside but could play outside. When I would read articles about GB draft they always mentioned that Bakh might not be available week 1. The fact that they were not saying until October or November was telling to me. Now come reports that the Pack are not ruling him out for week 1. I do not expect him to suit up for week 1 but this sure makes it look like he will be back much earlier than originally expected.

I took this draft in the OL category as meaning they are 100% comfortable and confident in the plan of Jenkins at LT and Patrick/Runyon serving as guards till then. I think they drafted versatile type "tackles" with likely inside swing merely for battle of depth behind guards and Turner at RT as none of them drafted or brought in as UDFA IMO are LT options at all to even consider.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bakhtiari will most likely need some time to perform at a similar level as last year even if he's able to play early this season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You answered your own question, he's a solid backup but not a starter. I don't mind having him on the team because of his versatility. But you don't wanna go into a season planning on him being your starter. If he has to spot start you feel ok but as your number 1 option, no thanks.

Runyon on the other hand has a much higher ceiling than the one Patrick has already reached...

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I still think he starts the year on PUP meaning the first game he could play would be the 7th game of the season I believe...

I'd be semi surprised by that. It's a possibility, but I think he will be ready to go before that. I watched on twitter him doing footwork and agility drills without a problem. Obviously, that's different from playing football. I think he wants to be available by week 1. I doubt that and I also doubt the PUP list. I've been wrong before plenty of times.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be semi surprised by that. It's a possibility, but I think he will be ready to go before that. I watched on twitter him doing footwork and agility drills without a problem. Obviously, that's different from playing football. I think he wants to be available by week 1. I doubt that and I also doubt the PUP list. I've been wrong before plenty of times.

As have I...my thinking though is not that he won't be ready before week 7 but that the Packers medical staff is cautious and I don't see that changing with a guy the team just committed so much money to long-term

Members online

Latest posts