Offensive Draft??

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What free agency did for Green Bay was to give them options in the first round....This team still has needs on defense as well as offense, although at least some of the needs on defense have been addressed. That gives the Pack the flexibility to draft BPA at several options, including edge rusher, offensive line, safety, defensive line, tight end, etc. Even cornerback might be in play, though that seems less likely at pick #12.

Still over a month away, and a lot can happen between now and then......In the mean time, it's fun to speculate.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyone in the circle of football knows that at the professional level a TE is not like RB.. TE is a position that is much more sophisticated than many of us layman think. You rarely plug n play a TE year one and get stellar results, it’s the second-third season that generally gets your value there. All 3 of our current TEs are in much better position to produce favorably now vs. going mid-term solutions.

While that is definitely true for rookies entering the league I don't expect Graham and/or Lewis to significantly improve as they're getting up there in age.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd would want to see the trenches on both sides of the ball being beefed up during the first round, and take the best pass catcher (TE/WR) with our second round pick. I'd also take White Bush and Wilson at 12, 30 and 44 respectively. Safety is still a great need as well but I think we can get a decent one in the 3rd round (preferably Savage). My clusters:

1A:
Ed Oliver
Jawaan Taylor
Devin White
Jonah Williams
Rashaan Gary
Christian Wilkins
Andre Dillard

1B:
Cody Ford
Devin Bush
Dalton Risner
Jerry Tillery
Tj Hockenson
Marquise Brown
Nassir Adderley

2:
Irv Smith
Deebo Samuel
Chris Lindstrom
Mack Wilson
Paris Campbell
Kelvin Harmon
Jonathan Abram

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A dream high octane Offense scenario would be trading back to #15
#15 OT
#30 RB/SlotWR
#44 SlotWR/RB
#75 S
#76 OG
#114 ILB
#118 CB
Etc..
This would be great. I said Josh Jacobs at #30 but that’s only if we pick a stud O-lineman at #12 and we had the flexibility to to grab the best player regardless of position. I also wouldn’t mind doing a Oliver/White and go OT at #30. We’ve done well at drafting the hogs at the end of the first and some talent will be there and then we can target a combination of a David Montgomery, Miles sanders/ Paris Campbell, Hakeem Butler, Andy Isabella, N’Keal in the 2nd and 3rd. Then package some picks to move up to hit SS and ILB. Both plans would make most fans really happy as long as we fix our O-line early.

PS I am a Die hard sports fan that’s not very computer savvy so you will see many blunders So I’ll apologize beforehand.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd would want to see the trenches on both sides of the ball being beefed up during the first round, and take the best pass catcher (TE/WR) with our second round pick. I'd also take White Bush and Wilson at 12, 30 and 44 respectively. Safety is still a great need as well but I think we can get a decent one in the 3rd round (preferably Savage). My clusters:

1A:
Ed Oliver
Jawaan Taylor
Devin White
Jonah Williams
Rashaan Gary
Christian Wilkins
Andre Dillard

1B:
Cody Ford
Devin Bush
Dalton Risner
Jerry Tillery
Tj Hockenson
Marquise Brown
Nassir Adderley

2:
Irv Smith
Deebo Samuel
Chris Lindstrom
Mack Wilson
Paris Campbell
Kelvin Harmon
Jonathan Abram

I gave you a like not so much for the guys in your clusters but for the fact you presented them in that way. Mocks that list 1 player at each position are fine but what happens when someone else chimes in with "all those guys will be gone by then" it really doesn't help matters much. This is more like what I suspect GMs are dealing with. A group of guys deemed worthy of a particular pick. If some are gone you have other options.

I do like the guys you listed though. I'd be very happy if our first three picks included three of these guys.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we get an OT with our first pick or Hockenson if he makes it.
I don’t know much about the OT class to say if one is worth a #12. Hockenson surely is worth it and Gluten would have the luxury of taking him. That said, I think he’ll be gone by 12. I’d love it if Devin White dropped to #12. The FA moves were great for the D, but at #12 they should still get a cap-friendly impact edge guy.

They could take a guy like Fant or Irv Smith at #30, although I think Smith will still be there in round 2. So if Fant isn’t around, then take the next best OT at #30. Just my thoughts. Lots of ways Gluten could go, and FS still needs to be addressed. I don’t think there’s a safety worth a #12 pick though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B.P.A is a beautiful thing. The draft will fall to us. I know people want a WR or TE but we will have some real talent drop. I don’t understand all of the love for D.K. He ran a great 40 and he’s a monster but he has no swivel and doesn’t get in and out of breaks. He is the definition of “boom or bust.” Watch the LSU game. Greedy shut him down because he took away the one thing he excels at. The draft is loaded at receiver and we can get a Deebo, Campbell or Isabella in the 3rd. I love Hockerson to but I’d rather target a Irv Smith Jr. later in the round if the Pack want to go TE. We need to fix our line. I think Jawaan Taylor or Andre Dillard should be the pick if Oliver and White are gone.
Yeah and I think Irv Smith will be there in round 2. Agree with your assessment on D.K. He’s built too strong to have the flexibility and twitch needed to get in and out of routes. I’d pass.

D

Deleted member 6794

This would be great. I said Josh Jacobs at #30 but that’s only if we pick a stud O-lineman at #12 and we had the flexibility to to grab the best player regardless of position.

The Packers have too many needs to not factor position into a selection early in this year's draft.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have too many needs to not factor position into a selection early in this year's draft.
Positional needs will always be factored in but sometimes players slip and can’t be passed up (Aaron Rodgers.)

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and I think Irv Smith will be there in round 2. Agree with your assessment on D.K. He’s built too strong to have the flexibility and twitch needed to get in and out of routes. I’d pass.
I’d take Irv Smith in the 2nd all day.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jacobs ran a sub 4.6 40, there's some speculating he'll fall to the late first early second now as a result.

I'm not sure if this is the lingering groin issue that he's working through still or if this is his true speed. I mean, Bell ran a 4.6 as well so how much does this really matter.

I've also read that overall this is a relatively unathletic class of RB's - makes me wonder if we will be looking RB at all (though we obviously need a 3rd RB).
He doesn’t play
Jacobs ran a sub 4.6 40, there's some speculating he'll fall to the late first early second now as a result.

I'm not sure if this is the lingering groin issue that he's working through still or if this is his true speed. I mean, Bell ran a 4.6 as well so how much does this really matter.

I've also read that overall this is a relatively unathletic class of RB's - makes me wonder if we will be looking RB at all (though we obviously need a 3rd RB).
He shouldn’t fall to far. He’s deceptively fast on the field. Very smooth runner and shifty. GM’s fall in love with players like this. I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes top half of the first even with running a slow 40.

D

Deleted member 6794

Positional needs will always be factored in but sometimes players slip and can’t be passed up (Aaron Rodgers.)

I'm definitely in favor of selecting players a tier above everyone else regardless of position but those occasions are pretty rare, therefore positions of need factors into a draft pick most of the time.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm definitely in favor of selecting players a tier above everyone else regardless of position but those occasions are pretty rare, therefore positions of need factors into a draft pick most of the time.
We don’t know the tiers. Every Scout has different grades on players. Who’s to say that Jacobs isn’t a top 10 talent on twenty five GM’s big boards? We have no idea.

D

Deleted member 6794

We don’t know the tiers. Every Scout has different grades on players. Who’s to say that Jacobs isn’t a top 10 talent on twenty five GM’s big boards? We have no idea.

There's no doubt every teams has their board ranked differently than others.

I didn't say a word about Jacobs though.

Reaction score
While I’d love to have another talented RB, I think any one of them are a reach inside #20 overall.

I realize people put a great deal of focus on the 40 time but another thing Jacobs offers that increases his value is a 30.6 KR average and a set of very respectable hands with an 11+ average yards per reception. He can do it all.

I expect Jacobs to be a starter on many teams and that puts him in the focus of at least a half dozen teams who need a RB.
There’s a 50/50 chance he’s there at #30 but I hardly think he’s there by our pick #44. I still feel like there’s some second tier talent there at RB round 2-4. I’d prefer someone that is reliable as a pass catcher and can make people miss as an underneath option.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I’d love to have another talented RB, I think any one of them are a reach inside #20 overall.

I realize people put a great deal of focus on the 40 time but another thing Jacobs offers that increases his value is a 30.6 KR average and a set of very respectable hands with an 11+ average yards per reception. He can do it all.

I expect Jacobs to be a starter on many teams and that puts him in the focus of at least a half dozen teams who need a RB.
There’s a 50/50 chance he’s there at #30 but I hardly think he’s there by our pick #44. I still feel like there’s some second tier talent there at RB round 2-4. I’d prefer someone that is reliable as a pass catcher and can make people miss as an underneath option.

Running backs id like the Packers to draft are
1. Miles Sanders
2. Justice Hill
3. Dexter Williams
4. Darrell Henderson

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts