Offensive Center...

Eagles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does wells hold onto his Job or do Spitz or Preston take it from him?

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is talk about 2nd yr Josh Sitton being moving over to replace Center Scott Wells being as back up center.
Changes in OL seems to happen each year, because of injuries.
Coach McCathy has aways said each year, would be the year for permanent players in each OL position. We hope thisyear will be the year, it finally happens!!

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's open competition. Wells was dogged by injuries last year. Lower back and trunk. So he wasn't the same as he had been. Spitz looked good enough and is bigger so the coaches feel he deserves a shot.
When Sitton emerged in last year's camp, Spitz was considered for the LG spot but Wells' injury problems and Daryn Colledge's progression changed that.
Spitz's versatility would seem to make him a lock tomake the team, no matter the outcome of the center competition.
With Matt Birk gone in Minnesota, Olin Kreutz aging in Chicaco and Dominic Raiola never anything great in Detroit, the Packers could have the best center position in the NFC North this season.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Matt Birk gone in Minnesota, Olin Kreutz aging in Chicaco and Dominic Raiola never anything great in Detroit, the Packers could have the best center position in the NFC North this season.

Yeah, we need to have it, specially when our C faces Haloti Ngata, Casey Hampton, Shaun Rodges, the williams sisters 2 times, tommie harris 2 times...

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, we need to have it, specially when our C faces Haloti Ngata, Casey Hampton, Shaun Rodges, the williams sisters 2 times, tommie harris 2 times...

Very true there are some good Inside Linemen to face Green Bay.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our interior guys will get good prep for the opponents they'll face in practice going up against Ryan Pickett, B.J. Raji, Jenkins, Jolly, etc. every day.
Wells, Spitz & Colledge proved pretty well two seasons ago they were up to the job. Sitton should be a solid addition with a season of experience. They've got to stay healthy, though, which they didn't in 2008.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wells is probably on his way out of a starting spot. Sitton, Barbre & Giacomini appear to be the future of this line. Spitz needs to move to C permanently to make room for Sitton to get his shot. Barbre may eventually be the RT but right now Colledge may have to play there while Barbre gets his reps at G.

My biggest fear is nobody is ready to play RT right now.

I believe the line-up will be:

LT Clifton
LG Sitton
C Spitz
RG Barbre
RT Colledge

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they'll stick with Colledge at RG, because MM said he wanted to stop the rotation and fix guys in certain positions. But I have the same fear, the RT spot, and the right of the Oline as a whole... The way I see it for this year, at least for the start of the season:

LT Clifton
LG Colledge
C Spitz
RG Sitton
RT Giacomini, but this one I'm not sure. Could be Moll, or could be one of the rookies, Lang or Meredith...

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know how much faith I'd put in Giacomini at RT (unless he's made great strides in camp) I'd stick with Moll.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moll IMO is better in the running game than Giacomini, but SUCKS at pass protection. And that's our forte. So I project Giacomini starting rather than Moll... But in reality it's too early to say who's gonna start. We may not have the best line, but sure there's depth...

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it lines up more this way: C Wells or Spitz, LG Colledge, RG Sitton or Spitz, LT Clifton, RT Giacomini, Barbre or Lang. Unless an injury situation forces him to move Colledge is entrenched as the starting LG. A healthier Wells could hold off Spitz's challenge at center but the Packers likely keep both on the roster. By all or most accounts the Packers like the progression Giacomini has made over the past year so he ranks first on the depth chart at RT. What a shame Tauscher had to blow out the knee late last year. If he were still there the Packers would have the best 0-line group in their division hands down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts