Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the Year

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven’t seen this thread anywhere else yet so I thought I would make one.

Who’s your prediction for both? Please give reasons behind your selections.

I’ll go first. I feel offensive rookie of the year comes down to 3 people.

1. Randall Cobb – I look at him and see a slightly less physically gifted Percy Harvin without migraine problems. That excites me immensely. I feel he’s been the thing we’ve been missing on offense. He brings such versatility to our team and hopefully can take over return duties as well. I trust McCarthy will find ways to get him the ball in space.

2. Julio Jones – If he can’t succeed in this situation then he won’t succeed anywhere. He has a solid qb and a well run offense to get him the ball, AND he’ll NEVER have to deal with double teams due to Roddy’s presence on the field. I am not that high on him personally. I feel he drops too many balls and has some injury concerns.

3. Mark Ingram – He also comes into a very favorable situation. This is a team with a great passing attack and a very good o line. I can’t see him NOT doing well unless he gets injured. He has all the tools. If Pierre Thomas can run well in this offense, Ingram should too.

Defensive Rookie of the year I am having a hard time with. I really am not sure who will win though I am going to say Brooks Reed. I know a lot of people here aren’t high on him but he is an above average athlete with a VERY fast first step. At the very least he’ll get a few sacks. Another thing he’ll have going for him is that defense will improve immensely and people love comeback/underdog stories and playing on the Texans will help his cause if Wade Phillips turns that d into a top 10 or 15 unit (I think he will) and they make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offensive Rookie of the Year:

Daniel Thomas has a chance to be the Dolphins starting RB with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams both being free agents that aren't expected to be back with the team. The Dolphins also improved their OL with the addition of Pouncey, so the running game should be better than last year.

Defensive Rookie of the Year:

Patrick Peterson has a chance to win because he can make a big impact right away by upgrading the Cardinals secondary in a weak division.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though the trade was horrible, I believe Julio Jones has the best shot at winning OROY, followed by Ingram, but NO uses a multiple back set. And Cobb could have something to say about it, if he has the impact I envision him having.

As for DROY, I'd give Clayborn, Bowers and Amukamara the best shot.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ROY well lets see what rookie gets his **** sucked the most.... Cam Newton.
Cam Newton is gonna fail so hard it's not even gonna be funny.

Well, it is going to be funny...

The question is, do they take 3 QBs with a high pick in consecutive years if they have the 1st overall pick next year and can take Andrew Luck?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if a WR won the award. Its extremely hard to have an impactful rookie year as a WR. The only one that comes to mind is moss. I could see a QB other than Newton winning it just off of sheer opportunity.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if a WR won the award. Its extremely hard to have an impactful rookie year as a WR. The only one that comes to mind is moss. I could see a QB other than Newton winning it just off of sheer opportunity.
But how many of the highly touted wide receivers walk into a situation with a phenomenal young QB throwing it to them and a proven top 5 to 7 NFL receiver on the opposite side of him?

Not to mention that they have a fantastic running game also.

It's a very rare situation, imo.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But how many of the highly touted wide receivers walk into a situation with a phenomenal young QB throwing it to them and a proven top 5 to 7 NFL receiver on the opposite side of him?

Not to mention that they have a fantastic running game also.

It's a very rare situation, imo.

Jerry Rice and TO come to mind.

well neither was highly touted by the media when they came into the league...

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense: Julio Jones if he doesn't drop too many balls, perhaps AJ Green if Palmer regains former self, or maybe even Randall Cobb since he has Aaron Rodgers throwing to him. He'll get opportunities, whether or not he takes advantage is on him.

Defense: JJ Watt if Mario Williams takes away 2x team, slight chance Von Miller if Dumervil is healthy again, Dark horses Bowers and Clayborn since they complement each other.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cam Newton is gonna fail so hard it's not even gonna be funny.

Well, it is going to be funny...

The question is, do they take 3 QBs with a high pick in consecutive years if they have the 1st overall pick next year and can take Andrew Luck?

that would be enough cause a riot in Carolina!

OROY A.J Green could turn the offense around in Cinci, one of the reasons Carlson has struggled has been too many big ego WR who don't think they need to run tight routes, and stick to a plan. A.J could do that well and be a real difference maker.

DROY Von Miller, he will stand out in a poor Denver defense, and could easily be a Clay in the making.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the past 25 years there has been 4 offensive rookie of the year that were Wrs, 4 QBs (all since 2004 oddly enough), and and 17 RBs.

So Ill just go ryan williams.
defensive ill pick von miller since linebackers are the popular pick, broncos were terrible in sacks, and he will have some pressure taken off of him on the other side.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
In the past 25 years there has been 4 offensive rookie of the year that were Wrs, 4 QBs (all since 2004 oddly enough), and and 17 RBs.

defensive ill pick von miller since linebackers are the popular pick, broncos were terrible in sacks, and he will have some pressure taken off of him on the other side.
I'd like to go Von Miller, but I think Denver's going back to a 4-3 this year and I just don't think he can be as successful in that alignment.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If there was any QB that I thought would make an impact, it would be him.

But I don't see any QBs in this class making any kind of impact early on.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LBs rarely do well early. Von Miller will have an extra difficult time because the defense is poor around him.

Defense: Patrick Peterson. He is going to a defense that is okay already, and he has good help in the secondary already. Runner up - Prince alphabet. Going to a pretty good defense.

Offense: Mark Ingram. Going to a very strong offensive team in New Orleans. Could have a really big year. Runner up: Some QB in Minnesota. But don't worry, the Vikes will still stink.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with a little bit of different picks than I've been seeing on here. Looking back at previous DROYs with the exception of Suh, the past like 9 DROYs have been linebackers. And OROYs are either QB or RB, with only rare WRs thrown in. So here are my picks:

DROY- Mason Foster, LB Tampa Bay. This man was a tackling machine at Washington and he's going to a team with a young, talented defensive line. If the Bucs choose not to resign the extremely underrated MLB Barrett Ruud, then Mason Foster could start right away and make a big impact.

OROY- Roy Helu Jr, RB Washington. I don't really see the QBs this year being good right from the start like other QBs that have won OROY, like Sam Bradford. This could very well be one of those years that a WR wins it. I don't think AJ Green will be able to have a big enough rookie year to win due to the quality of his team, even though he has the talent to do it (see: Calvin Johnson). Julio Jones might just win this. However, I'm going the RB route. Roy Helu might be able to come in and win the starting job early in the season and if he does, he will certainly get a chance to shine. With a lackluster passing game, the running game should be featured heavily this year for the Redskins. The difficulties for Helu will be making it to the top of a crowded backfield and trying to function behind a below average offensive line.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Offense: Julio Jones if he doesn't drop too many balls, perhaps AJ Green if Palmer regains former self, or maybe even Randall Cobb since he has Aaron Rodgers throwing to him. He'll get opportunities, whether or not he takes advantage is on him.

Defense: JJ Watt if Mario Williams takes away 2x team, slight chance Von Miller if Dumervil is healthy again, Dark horses Bowers and Clayborn since they complement each other.

J.J. Watt will be a 3-4 DE. These types of awards are all about stats and Watt won't have many in that system.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
J.J. Watt will be a 3-4 DE. These types of awards are all about stats and Watt won't have many in that system.

I agree, if Watt had gone to a 4-3 team, I think he'd have a chance to win it. He's just so dominant, and his abilities and work ethic will translate very well to the NFL.

But as a 3-4 DE, even if he excells, he'll have no more than 7 sacks. That won't be enough to win him a DROY.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offensive Rookie of the year Jonathan Baldwin WR Chiefs Big target who can also be a deep threat. Has a great compliment in Dwayne Bowe and an outstanding running game to keep him in one on one situations.

Defensive Rookie of the year Aldon Smith 3-4 OLB 49ers Great pass rusher and it looks like that is mostly what he will be asked to do his rookie year. I think they could of traded back and gotten him but he is a good player.

Members online

Latest posts