OFF-SEASON TALK (Rumors, Draft, Trades, Free Agents ect.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, we are a draft and develope team. If TT and MM see somthing I don't, I think they are a little more qualified than me to make the decisions. TT has to think long term, like how much is he going to have to pay A-Rod and still leave cap room for CM down the road. things like that. 40 guys under 25 on this team and we will get younger after this offseason. The NFL is a youth movement, you stay young or you die. If TT and MM really feel that Neal and So'oto aren't going to get the job done next year, I think he'll dip into FA but he's not going for Mario, he's all about value. Events transpire a little differently the last couple of weeks, you and I are talking about Brady V A-Rod my friend.
You know, thinking more about it, you are right. I was shocked by the trade up deal TT made for Clay. A trade I thought was mistake at the time now can be called a bargain.
TT was a LB - maybe he will focus again there.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was hard to judge Barnett because he was always injured. I was a HUGE Barnett fan, but the guy was never on the field. The Hawk contract was confusing, but you can't blame TT for releasing Barnett.

And he proved he wasn't a leader with his whining publicly on twitter about the photo last season..

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree EVERY problem the Packers had was due to the lack of pass rush but that's certainly the number one problem on the team IMO. But thinking it's the only problem gets Williams, Peprah, and Shields off the hook and they were part of the problem too IMO.

I hope Hawk is asked to take a pay cut and if his play doesn't improve he's waived next off season. Is there a team foolish enough to trade for him at his salary? I wouldn't think so. I'm a big fan of Thompson but Hawk's extension goes down as a mistake IMO. BTW, they can keep Grant, Wells, and Finley even with Hawk's salary and waiving him, because of the cap hit, would make signing them more difficult, not less.

See, I'm willing to give our corners a pass for this season because you need a pass rush in order to help your secondary. It's unreasonable to ask a defensive back to cover someone for 4, 5, 6 seconds or more, yet that's what we did most of the time.

Our linebackers too benefit from a solid pass rush. Part of the reason why Hawk regressed so much this season is there was no one up front getting any kind of push. It's a hell of a lot harder to get off a block from a lineman AND try to stop the runner than it is to just try and stop the runner. It all starts up front and our defensive line just got beat over and over again. Improve that defensive line and pass rush and most of our defensive problems will take care of themselves.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You know, thinking more about it, you are right. I was shocked by the trade up deal TT made for Clay. A trade I thought was mistake at the time now can be called a bargain.
TT was a LB - maybe he will focus again there.
We should have a bunch of draft picks this year for him to do some wheeling and dealing. I was thinking Franchising Flynn was a fantasy but with Philbin going to Miami..... He knows Fylnn, Flynn knows his system, sounds like the perfect setup for a first round trade if there ever was one.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should have a bunch of draft picks this year for him to do some wheeling and dealing. I was thinking Franchising Flynn was a fantasy but with Philbin going to Miami..... He knows Fylnn, Flynn knows his system, sounds like the perfect setup for a first round trade if there ever was one.
Many think Cleveland will have interest, I don't know. My dark horse is Seattle - former Packer brass Snyder is GM.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Outside of Wilfork I am not sure anyone on the Pats d line truly scares me? They are a good big front no doubt but I still never felt like they replaced Seymour either. I think they are a better run stopping unit then pass rushers though.

But, yeah why compare the two.

Is Nick Collins slated to come back next season?

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This defense only surrendered 240 points when Erik Walden, A.J. Hawk and Charlie Peprah were playing out of their mind in 2010 (plus Cullen Jenkins). And it's not like those three were that great when they were playing out of their mind... I just think they either need some personnel changes or the aforementioned players need some swift kicks in the you-know-what.

Also, I'm not sure if the NFL lockout has anything to do with it but there was some hideous tackling from many teams this season. That's the big thing that must be corrected. I don't want to jump the gun on Capers because honestly, there has been some hideous defense all around the league in 2011.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THAT I would like to see. I've been watching Kill Bill instead of NFL network or ESPN today.

It's tough to say anything bad about Smitty after the season he had, but Flynn would be a HUGE improvement.

You sure SF would go for that? It would sort of be saying "goodbye" to Alex Smith.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
New England was banged up in their secondary too. You'd be surprised running down their roster and seeing how many undrafted free agents and rookies they have due to all the injuries and cuts.

This team went 15-1, they had no reason to be ranked dead last in defense. Had this defense been this bad, last year there is no way they would have even won 8 games, cause you all know that the defense last year is what helped them win the Super Bowl. They never trailed more than 7 points in a single game last year, because the defense could force stops and did it when they needed them.

The lock out probably had something to do with it, but I wouldn't blame it all on that. Just look at the Houston defense, last year that team was in the bottom 5 on defense and in just one season they are in the top 5 under Wade Phillips, who proves once again he's a much better coordinator than head coach.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Is there a DC in Oakland and Denver?
Why would anyone on our defensive staff be up for a promotion anywhere?
Someone out there likes the way our defense was historically horse**** this year?
Remember though, the only way Capers or Moss leaves is for a HC position, (unless MM lets them go voluntarily). They cannot be hired away for anything but a promotion. Yes Moss is the ILB coach, but MM hung that "assistant head coach" title on him a while ago, (common move for head coaches) which means he also cannot be hired away as anything but a head coach.

Personally I'm happy to be keeping our current staff. One year with a championship defense, one year with a bad one, I'm all for giving Dom a chance to clean it up next year with hopefully better personnel.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is locked so people can still have access to their posts and responses...

If you wish to continue a topic, please feel free to make a new thread and contact a mod to move posts over to the new thread..

Give the post number and a link to the thread you wish the posts to be moved to..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts