OC-WHO?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is the safe choice because this guy will be nothing but a yes man who will be eternally grateful to Thompson for giving him a position that he would have never have gotten any place else. It's safe for Thompson because his hand picked puppet will never question his authority. Not one team in the NFL was looking at McCarthy for a head coaching position. He is a lap dog people.
The truth is that most of you had never even heard of this guy until a few days ago and now you are trying to pretend that you were aware him all along. Please! You are just bulls**tting yourselves.
You wanted to rally around him so badly but you were just waiting for one person who is not a Packer fan to say it was a bad move while ignoring everyone else’s opinion of him.
Love him if you want to. You don’t have to explain it to me. I am glade that they picked McCarthy. I believe that I have said that several times now so why do you still want to fight about it? It sounds like you are trying to convince yourselves that he will be the right person for the job.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Philtration said:
He is the safe choice because this guy will be nothing but a yes man who will be eternally grateful to Thompson for giving him a position that he would have never have gotten any place else. It's safe for Thompson because his hand picked puppet will never question his authority. Not one team in the NFL was looking at McCarthy for a head coaching position. He is a lap dog people.
The truth is that most of you had never even heard of this guy until a few days ago and now you are trying to pretend that you were aware him all along. Please! You are just bulls**tting yourselves.
You wanted to rally around him so badly but you were just waiting for one person who is not a Packer fan to say it was a bad move while ignoring everyone else’s opinion of him.
Love him if you want to. You don’t have to explain it to me. I am glade that they picked McCarthy. I believe that I have said that several times now so why do you still want to fight about it? It sounds like you are trying to convince yourselves that he will be the right person for the job.

Although I believe 'interest' is an interview, there were teams asking about McCarthy and requesting permission to speak with him.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know Phil is Chicago Bears fan, he is just hoping Ted Thompson picked a head coach who will be a failure, so the Packers will field a weak team. Thus Bears can have 2 sure wins in NFC-North each year and stay on top for a while instead of being an one year wonder , which The Bears were under **** Juron a few years ago.. But when Phil uses SI (The swim suit magazine people) and Pro football talk. Well, that really convinced me about success or failure of this new head Coach of the Green Bay Packers. And here I thought that decsion would be made in 1-3 years and by how successful the Green Bay Packers team will be on the Football fields of the NFL. Phil get real !!! SI and Pro football talk is your source for your opinion. Wow! Thoses are "impressive sources" to form opinions on!!!!

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only that Phil but I went to the University of Wisconsin Pl,atteville While the Bears were going through there transition in coaches QBs and everything else you guys would always tout your new head coach as something special but like almost every year they went to the dogs. I like Lovie Smith but like everything one winning season in a weak NFC North Division means nothing like the Packers in thier run with two years getting the division with a 10 and 6 record. Time will tell if Lovie keeps it up or the Bearsa return to thier ways after this year

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in other words until McCarthy proves his worth I will not pass any judgement on TT's Pick for HC it is a wait and see with me. If McCarthy brings an original Offense that is Dynamic and Unpredicable that has excitment and Bates returns to Bring the Pack back stronger than last year and the Pack wins games TT is a genius if not he is an idiot I guess we all have to wait

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil, I'll tell you why I'm less concerned about the hire than I was when it was made. An important part of any organization (and even moreso than normal when it comes to an NFL team) is chemistry. TT and MM looked like peas in a pod at their presser. While Mike Sherman was a pretty successful coach in Green Bay, he and Ted never seemed to jell. They never developed chemistry and thus a change was made (and probably rightly so). I have no idea whether MM can coach, but Ted and Mike seem to have the same philosophy, attitude and personality. This gives them a shot IMO. Time will tell whether this was the right move, but I'm more optimistic than I was originally (I wanted Bates to be hired).

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several of you Cheeseheads have come close to the real question - but from my standpoint - possibly being just a bit older than most of you --- I watched the Packers do that three-peat in the 60's, with Vince Lombardi. I was in 6th grade when they started that run - in fact, the Packers pretty much owned the Sixties, with exception of maybe two, or three years ('60. '64 and '69, from what I remember). And, back in 1959, when Vince Lombardi came in - "everyone" was saying "Who is this guy?" - coming over as an assistant with the Giants - a relative UNKNOWN....remember that.... UNKNOWN....

More than anything - when everyone makes a comment, either here, or over on PackerChatters, or elsewhere - the one thing we've all agreed upon - was the fact that being conservative on the field when it counted most - was always the wrong way to play the game... and Sherman always pulled the reins on the horses back, just as we were up at the finish line, waaay too many times.

Lombardi always went for it
Holmgren always went for it

Can we say Sherman always went for it? NO!

Will we be able to say McCarthy will always "go for it"..?

Like the comment posted earlier says - while even I was against NOT picking Bates for the HC chair - once you've listened to this new guy - you get a different sense of things and a different feel about attitudes around Lambeau....

TT was right about one thing - it was..time for new blood, even if just to wake up the organization from the Sherman Lethargy it was under....

To me - Ted Thompson was looking for someone with some real guts - to take charge as a 'fighting' team - not a corporate jungle.... You can all learn the mechanics of the job - but without that eye-o'-the-tiger, what good is it? This new guy is young, full of fight and also (you know damn well, by now) ...also been in a few fights of his own. You do not get the sense that he'll back off when he has a challenge in front of him.... And, I think that's exactly what TT was looking for.

Unknown? Sure, so what !?! He's got moxie and he's brash... once we get a few replacements to bring back the caliber of players we usually have - things'll be different. I think McCarthy has already sent the message to the Players - that the status quo is not nearly good enough and if you don't like it... go away, go play somewhere else if all you care about is that paycheck and no rings!

That's just my take.....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
We all know Phil is Chicago Bears fan, he is just hoping Ted Thompson picked a head coach who will be a failure, so the Packers will field a weak team. Thus Bears can have 2 sure wins in NFC-North each year and stay on top for a while instead of being an one year wonder , which The Bears were under **** Juron a few years ago.. But when Phil uses SI (The swim suit magazine people) and Pro football talk. Well, that really convinced me about success or failure of this new head Coach of the Green Bay Packers. And here I thought that decsion would be made in 1-3 years and by how successful the Green Bay Packers team will be on the Football fields of the NFL. Phil get real !!! SI and Pro football talk is your source for your opinion. Wow! Thoses are "impressive sources" to form opinions on!!!!

word.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys. I'm liking what I'm seeing. MM has guts and I've known Jago since college when he played for my father(thus my nickname- Warhawk) and this guy has guts and integrity. Sherman canned him cause JJ challanged his game planning and philosophy and felt like he wasn't being allowed to do things in a way he knew would make the players he was responsible for better. This guys green and gold all the way(his worst day was the day he packed and left Lambeau) and the players respond to his style. Atlanta grabbed him the second he was available. We are in for a treat. We will be seeing an involved and animated coaching staff on the sidelines next year. God I was sick of watching Sherman looking down at that damn clipboard with that look like he had no idea of what just happened or what to do next.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Guys. I'm liking what I'm seeing. MM has guts and I've known Jago since college when he played for my father(thus my nickname- Warhawk) and this guy has guts and integrity. Sherman canned him cause JJ challanged his game planning and philosophy and felt like he wasn't being allowed to do things in a way he knew would make the players he was responsible for better. This guys green and gold all the way(his worst day was the day he packed and left Lambeau) and the players respond to his style. Atlanta grabbed him the second he was available. We are in for a treat. We will be seeing an involved and animated coaching staff on the sidelines next year. God I was sick of watching Sherman looking down at that damn clipboard with that look like he had no idea of what just happened or what to do next.

Exactly - Sherman's regime had run its course and now it's time for something new. In the NFL, HC vacancies get filled three different - on-the-rise college coaches, NFL HC retreads, or some assistant coach that has a reputable track record. Many coaches and players have given McCarthy credit for improving their career including Matt Hasselbeck who still meets with McCarthy in the off-season to work on QB fundamentals...he seems like a good fit for the team and let's all give him a fair chance to prove himself. I hope he pans out and sticks it back to Chicago so we can listen to Phil try and rationalize what he's said up to this time.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
this is as popular of a move as holmgren was, or belicheck. Those worked out ok.

No, im not saying mccarthy is the next belicheck, but Gbs history of hiring former HCs as their HC isnt good.

but leave it to a bears fan to come in and have a field day on a guy who hasnt even coached 1 game, but hes a bad HC...whatever you say, phil. go read more SI so they can tell you how to think.

Whatever man. Try to convince yourself that he was the right guy for the job if you want. Everyone is wrong but you as usual.

Jags didn't do that bad when you consider starting rookies in a zone blocking scheme that was new to the packers and the injuries at WR and the lack of a quality TE and an aging RB who did gain 1,000.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts