Obstacles to Signing Arrington ?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Team faces obstacles to signing Arrington
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:58:06 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers face a few obstacles if they try to sign free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins). Arrington wants to play for a winner; the Packers were 4-12 last season. Arrington wants to know whether QB Brett Favre is going to retire; the Packers still don't know the quarterback's plans. Arrington wants a big contract; the Packers have plenty of salary cap room but don't think they should have to pay considerably more than what the market bears. At this point a deal with Arrington is not imminent. The interest on both sides does appear legitimate. "There has to be interest from both sides if there's a visit," Arrington's agent, Kevin Poston, said Tuesday, April 11. "There were a number of other teams who were interested in him and he chose not to visit. He's realistic. To him, he's not a guy who believes in wasting his time." During his visit, Arrington asked the Packers if he could talk to Favre, Poston said. Poston said Arrington had not spoken to Favre as of Tuesday afternoon but was still interested in touching base with him.

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What the heck? That is not an intelligent comment... "TT is cheap?"

Do you really believe that? It isnt coming out of his pocket... He was hired to put together a winner... He built the Seahawks team that was in the SB this year. Who are you or anyone else to second guess TT?
All you arm chair qbs want the pack to sign "big names." Well, just so you know... if TT doesnt sign arrington he probably remembers all the wierd crap he pulled as a redskin an his major injury.

arrington is a head case and i would be surprised if they pick him up... He may be more of a nut than TO.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
greenbegas said:

Do you really believe that? It isnt coming out of his pocket... He was hired to put together a winner... He built the Seahawks team that was in the SB this year. Who are you or anyone else to second guess TT?
All you arm chair qbs want the pack to sign "big names." Well, just so you know... if TT doesnt sign arrington he probably remembers all the wierd crap he pulled as a redskin an his major injury.

arrington is a head case and i would be surprised if they pick him up... He may be more of a nut than TO.

Here we go. I bet if TT signs him you are on this same board kissing his nuts.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
greenbegas said:

Here we go. I bet if TT signs him you are on this same board kissing his nuts.

See DePack this is damn clear to me:

TT is not signing Arrington because he is coming from a big injury,,,, Anyway he seems to be totally healed now 3 pro bowls and ask for big bucks.

BUT

TT signed: Green, Davenport, Boerigter and others coming from big injuries too.... Not proven to be healed yet, But they signed for CHEAP.

To me TT signs whatever comes cheap... he is looking for hidden diamonds so he can become the best GM ever...

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wont be kissing his nuts, but if he is good, I will be happy. My only point is, you cant call TT cheap because he passed up on Arrington, TO or others like these guys... Arrington is not worth a huge contract like he used to be... Arrington is one of the wierdest guys in the NFL and a potential cancer...

Do you guys remember Joe Johnson??? Have you ever even heard of him?? You guys probably loved it when he was signed.... Arrington is a potential Joe Johnson with a bit more of a "strange guy" factor.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
greenbegas said:
I wont be kissing his nuts, but if he is good, I will be happy. My only point is, you cant call TT cheap because he passed up on Arrington, TO or others like these guys... Arrington is not worth a huge contract like he used to be... Arrington is one of the wierdest guys in the NFL and a potential cancer...

Do you guys remember Joe Johnson??? Have you ever even heard of him?? You guys probably loved it when he was signed.... Arrington is a potential Joe Johnson with a bit more of a "strange guy" factor.

AHHHH there we go the "C" word!

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you can call Arrington a cancer, seems like he took being benched pretty well in stride. Correct me if I'm wrong.

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What did you want him to do? He didnt get benched because he wasnt talented... he was benched because he was in Gibbs' doghouse... He was very talented and his team sacrificed and still benched him. I would say that he WAS indeed a cancer. Him not playing hurt his team.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now getting benched because your style of play doesn't fit the scheme is considered being a cancer? Pretty liberal definition if you ask me. I think if it was that big of a problem he would have been deactivated or outright released at the end of the season. Just remember, he asked for his release, not the other way around.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was actually pretty impressed with how Arrington handled the situation. He didn't get all pissy about the situation and demand a trade, he said that he just wanted to play. After the season he realized it wasn't going to work so he bought his way out. I obviously don't know what happened behind the scenes but he seemed to handle hisself pretty professionally.

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did whatever he wanted to on the field and didnt listen to coaches and it forced them to bench him (a guy who they are paying and still benched)... yeah, you're right, he wasnt a cancer... what was i thinking?

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arrington beats to his own drum. He is one of the only players who didnt sign with the Players association, that's why you cant be him on madden and his name doesnt show up on fantasy football web sites like yahoo...

he thinks he is worth all this money, but he simply is not a discipline guy. MAybe he has changed, i hope he did if he is in gb.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
greenbegas said:
Arrington beats to his own drum. He is one of the only players who didnt sign with the Players association, that's why you cant be him on madden and his name doesnt show up on fantasy football web sites like yahoo...

he thinks he is worth all this money, but he simply is not a discipline guy. MAybe he has changed, i hope he did if he is in gb.

He sued or tried to sue a company for using his name.

http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Ar ... onsuit.htm

Washington, D.C., April 27, 2001 -- Don't ask LaVar Arrington to autograph your football card bearing his likeness because he might sue you. According to a report in the Washington Post, the Washington Redskins linebacker brought a federal civil lawsuit against three trading card companies alleging that they used his picture on a card without his permission.

The lawsuit alleges that three companies, Upper Deck, Pacific Trading Cards Inc.and Playoff Corp., made and sold a rookie card of Arrington for his first season in the NFL. Arrington claims that he never signed an agreement with the companies that is required for this sort of licensing deal.

The article reports that Arrington is believed to the first NFL player to sue a card company for not having permission to use his picture on a card. Arrington is asking for damages of $825,000, plus interest, in the lawsuit. It reports that this is the total amount that four companies paid to the union subsidiary in fines for their actions.

The report quotes one of Arrington's attorneys as saying: "They [the companies] can't deny they did it. It's an unusual case. So much is made out of how much money the players make in marketing revenue and how they throw themselves at the public. Here's a guy who pulled himself back, and it didn't matter."

Attorneys for those being sued had no comment, but according to the answer to the complaint, the trading card companies used Arrington's likeness in good faith, believing they were acting within the law. It continues that Arrington's consent to the use of his likeness was implied by circumstances.

Reportedly, Arrington did not attend the photo session at which the photographs for these cards are taken. Players that agree to have themselves depicted on products get an equal amount in royalties -- a little more than $5,000 last year, Players Inc. officials said. These royalties are the biggest single source of revenue for the union.

The Post reports that the Upper Deck card shows Arrington in his uniform from Penn State. Arrington's attorney said Arrington learned about the cards in question while signing autographs during training camp last summer, when some youngsters asked the player to sign their Arrington rookie trading cards.

Reportedly, Arrington has asked that the cards be pulled off the market. The companies have complied with this, but Arrington's attorney claims that thousands of cards have already been sold.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, just because he didn't sign with the players' association, that doesn't make him a cancer.

I'll agree that his style is undisciplined, but that alone does not make him a cancer. A cancer is a player like TO. TO's actions and words led to divisiveness in the locker room and made it difficult to maintain team chemistry. If you can provide evidence that Lavar had an adverse effect on the team's chemistry, then I'll agree with you and label him a potential cancer for GB. Right now I don’t buy it. The redskins played better after he was benched and this was simply because they put in a player that better fits what the skins were trying to do (not freelancing). Lavar still played and contributed where he could. Keep reaching.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
greenbegas said:
Exactly my point... he is a nut.

can you say maurice clarett??

So protecting your likeness within the law makes you a nut? Cmon, that's his right.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is within his legal rights to sue for the trading card thing, that proves nothing. Also from what I heard he was willing to do what the coaches told him to do. I think part of it came from him supposedly not wanting to play special teams, but he said he was willing to and if i remember correctly from profootballtalk.com, his teammates said that he was willing to. I don't really know all the facts but I just don't see a glaring problem with his attitude. Brett Favre had attitude problems when he was traded for but he worked out ok.

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys crack me up... You sight "proofootball.com" who are as credible as my left nut... You take bits and pieces out of what I say and twist them around to make a point. All I am saying is he is a different guy and has the potential to be a cancer.

By stating that he sued organizations, my point is that he doesnt care what people think.

If all he did was refuse to play special teams and then agree to it they wouldnt have benched their best defensive player.
It had to be pretty darn bad to do so.

Favre's problems when he was a rookie are totally different than arringtons. He has been in the league for a few years and should be a leader, instead his team was forced to bench him for some actions that really none of us understand why...

I hope the Packers get him and he is a probowler!! The only reason I said he was potential cancer is because some of you guys always say that TT is cheap, which is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

Mike Sherman was much more clueless as a GM than TT...

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that he has a possibility of being a locker room cancer, I was just pointing out how at least on the surface he says the right things to the media and that is a good sign, unlike the crap the TO and other locker room cancers do. Comparing Maurice Clarett's suing and Arrington's isn't very accurate. Arrington's suing seems like an open and shut case, the company that made the cards knew they technically did wrong, and Clarett should of known of the risk of losing his case, and his case was much more potentially harmful to him. Also Clarett isn't a bad guy because of his lawsuit, he is because of his not trying in his workouts before the draft and demanding to be traded from the Broncos. Arrington wouldn't of been completely out of line asking to be traded from the Redskins but he didn't. He said that he wanted to play and he did play and did well when given the chance. Once again, Arrington does run the risk of being a bad character guy, but I see good signs in him.

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree... he is no T.O., but he IS a different CAT and not necessarily in a good way.

Clarett was stupid for trying to fight the fact that college players can't come out as a freshman and he recently got arrested for other things and that just shows that he was kinda stupid, crazy etc.

Thats not to say that Arrington is a crook or anything like that, but he likes to do his own thing and that's why he was benched.

Maybe I am old school, but I like the players that sign a contract, stick to it and do what the coaches tell them to do, kinda like a Mark Tauscher, Chad Clifton or class guys like that, William Henderson also comes to mind as a class guy.

Let's play a game:

Class guy = Williams Henderson

Non-class guy = Antonio Freeman (1st tenure in gb)

Class guy = Donald Driver

Non-Class Guy = Javon Walker

Yet to be determined = Lavar Arrington

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Freeman was okay, but I guess had moments that stuck with me... He had a few squabbles with the law, including quite the shady ordeal when he hit a telephone pole at Eve's supper club and supposedly changed seats with a teammate so he wouldnt get caught (nobody's perfect though)... I mainly remember he became quite the piece of crap toward the end of his first tenure in GB when he was suspended for a big game toward the end of the year. I think it's because he didnt show up to practice and he was raising hell with the coach. I forget... He wasnt all that bad I guess. I dont think he was what I consider a "class guy," however...

He wasnt as bad as TO or guys like that by any means.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts