Observations

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like most everyone else came into this season with high expectations for the 2008 rendition of the Pack. We sat with giddy hope that or HOF QB would commit albeit not to retirement. We watched in abject disbelief as he unretired and the ensuing daytime afterschool speacial soapopera unfolded. We watched the trades come down as well as the draft.
Now we look to get ready to do post-mortem on a season that had highs and lows. We watched or new future at QB rise up and often times get beat down behind a line that at times thought they were at a free for all buffet and the QB was the prime rib.
As I look things over I can call out a few factors for the abysmal D and ST play. As most of you know TT's trade of Corey Williams and not Brett Favre will be the main culprit of the losses. While I believe that Favres play would account for possibly 3 more wins, Coreys loss directly correlates to 4 losses.
Defensive rotation is the key to any solid defense. Last years slow meltdown in the stretch was direcly indicative to the rotation being slowed by injury. To this year as early injuries piled on the ability to rotate lineman dwindled. it exposed youth at key positions and allowed second level penetration by offensive lineman and running backs. This inturn exposes linebackers and secondary personnel to wear and tear not normally endured.
This directly relates the ST as most know that ST is made up of primarily defensive players that are what most would call situational or reserve (in a pinch) players. As your starters get dinged up you have to replace them in the lineup as starters. However they must also still play there roles as special teams cogs. This additional wear causes mental and physical breakdown.
Teams are built upon redundancy. Although even the most redundant system will fatigue and break as backup systems become primary.
This is a sad culmination of events for this years team. I do however think the Front Office and Coaching staff are capable of fixing these things in the offseason.
If you dont think my argument holds water look at any team this year that after excelling last year has fallen on hard times. IE SD Chargers. Seahawks, Colts, and others.
AS fans I hope we wont blindly point fingers this year but try and do a genuine overview instead of a if and buts commentary on evrything.
Thanks all
GO PACK GO

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are our lounge observations in the latest podcast. Stay tuned for our thoughts on the Jaguars game.

Part I

[youtube:29rvhcez]JPTK9ZOpHgo[/youtube:29rvhcez]

Part II

[youtube:29rvhcez]BcugpBOXUFU[/youtube:29rvhcez]

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
JbShell said:
I like most everyone else came into this season with high expectations for the 2008 rendition of the Pack. We sat with giddy hope that or HOF QB would commit albeit not to retirement. We watched in abject disbelief as he unretired and the ensuing daytime afterschool speacial soapopera unfolded. We watched the trades come down as well as the draft.
Now we look to get ready to do post-mortem on a season that had highs and lows. We watched or new future at QB rise up and often times get beat down behind a line that at times thought they were at a free for all buffet and the QB was the prime rib.
As I look things over I can call out a few factors for the abysmal D and ST play. As most of you know TT's trade of Corey Williams and not Brett Favre will be the main culprit of the losses. While I believe that Favres play would account for possibly 3 more wins, Coreys loss directly correlates to 4 losses.
Defensive rotation is the key to any solid defense. Last years slow meltdown in the stretch was direcly indicative to the rotation being slowed by injury. To this year as early injuries piled on the ability to rotate lineman dwindled. it exposed youth at key positions and allowed second level penetration by offensive lineman and running backs. This inturn exposes linebackers and secondary personnel to wear and tear not normally endured.
This directly relates the ST as most know that ST is made up of primarily defensive players that are what most would call situational or reserve (in a pinch) players. As your starters get dinged up you have to replace them in the lineup as starters. However they must also still play there roles as special teams cogs. This additional wear causes mental and physical breakdown.
Teams are built upon redundancy. Although even the most redundant system will fatigue and break as backup systems become primary.
This is a sad culmination of events for this years team. I do however think the Front Office and Coaching staff are capable of fixing these things in the offseason.
If you dont think my argument holds water look at any team this year that after excelling last year has fallen on hard times. IE SD Chargers. Seahawks, Colts, and others.
AS fans I hope we wont blindly point fingers this year but try and do a genuine overview instead of a if and buts commentary on evrything.
Thanks all
GO PACK GO

A few thoughts:

1. (Sorry to mention this outside the proper thread)Unlike yourself, I took the retirement news w/relief; the ending of the Championship game last year was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for many fans including me. It was clear that our QB could contribute toward taking us to the playoffs, but was simply unable to get us to the SB again, (harsh but this is MHO). I believe he retired at the right time & was grateful to him for doing so. Like many fans I looked forward to seeing what the next guy in line for the job could do.

When I heard the news our former QB had developed an "itch" I felt the bile rising up in my throat; "Please don't let our chances w/AR depart in favor of what could be at best one more season! I was happy the team stuck to their guns w/their committal to AR and I knew we'd have to endure a potentially lackluster season this year.

2. Viewing CW's season in Cleveland this year I'm not convinced he'd have been an every down player this year; having said that only a fool would think he couldn't have helped us this year on the line.

3. Fatigue is a definite factor, however many of our blunders on ST and the D were a result of poorly executed fundamentals; (i.e. blown coverages, etc). Fatigue could have contributed to some of this, but unlike many others angry w/this season, I put a equal blame on the players.

4. Front office can fix this but I think TT will need to drastically change his recruitment philosophy.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts