Observations on Packer Rookies and First Year Players

Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I for one am impressed. I liked some things I saw:

- Collins is proving he was worth the 2nd round pick. I like this kid more each week. What else can I say? It's been said before, and its all true.

- Carroll had a solid game to build on. Lets face it, its not going to be an overnight transformation, and Bates is working his magic. I just hope Carroll continues to improve. Just one thing that pissed me off..... FOR GOD SAKES SHUT UP AND KEEP FOCUSED. Is it just me or does he have a celebration after every play as if he made a game turning play?

- Hawkins was getting expereince. He didn't hurt us being out there. Was solid and should get more PT.

- Underwood made a rookie mistake early, but had some great coverage later on. One play stood out to me the most. During the 4th Q., 3rd and 12, he covered a Pit. WR beautifully. Was right on him. This begs the question, should he be moved to CB if Carroll falters?

- Poppinga continued to improve. I like this kid, he has a never quit attitude. Eventually his effort and determination will pay off for him.

- Thornburg was a unknown to me. But man is he fast. And he can tackle. I wouldn't be surprised if this kid gradually got more snaps as time went on. He looks like a keeper.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good topic to bring up!

Carroll... yeah, he is improving. Notice how few "shoot Carroll's dog" posts have been on here lately :)

-Collins...wish he'd talk a little less, but man can he bring a hit, and appears to have decent coverage skills.

Young guys on d-line are doing fairly well too.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
where was Roy Manning on Sunday...I got to watch the game here and didn't see him, and he was someone I was looking forward to watching play finally....

Nick Collins was a great pick, as much as I was down on (or just perplexed by) that pick in April...he could very easily be a Brian Dawkins/Ed Reed type who has his nose in on every play

...and its picks like that that are slowly building my trust in Ted Thompson as we have a pretty big draft coming up this april

...Ahmad Caroll, well, I'm a supporter...before this season i was his 'biggest' supporter, that has waned a little bit, but I think he can be a solid NFL'er...regardless I think cornerback is an avenue we should explore this offseason...that or see how Mike Hawkins can handle the starting role

Brooks87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
where was Roy Manning on Sunday...I got to watch the game here and didn't see him, and he was someone I was looking forward to watching play finally....

Nick Collins was a great pick, as much as I was down on (or just perplexed by) that pick in April...he could very easily be a Brian Dawkins/Ed Reed type who has his nose in on every play

...and its picks like that that are slowly building my trust in Ted Thompson as we have a pretty big draft coming up this april

...Ahmad Caroll, well, I'm a supporter...before this season i was his 'biggest' supporter, that has waned a little bit, but I think he can be a solid NFL'er...regardless I think cornerback is an avenue we should explore this offseason...that or see how Mike Hawkins can handle the starting role

I agree..I like Collins.I think he's going to be a star later on down the road..He sure can lay a Hit on someone too..

VolsPackers21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright guys, this is my first post on here, so we'll see how it goes...

As far as Collins, I think he will be a great pro. He has played pretty decent so far, and has been playing solely on athleticism. Once he absorbs more of the defensive system, and the game slows down for him, he will start to get more headlines not just in Green Bay, but around the league as well.

Poppinga has turned out to be a steal, and reminds me a lot of Aaron Kampman when he came out of Iowa. A guy that relies more on guts and effort than pure ability.

And one final note: this kid they just signed last week Jeremy Thornburg looked good on special teams yesterday. Granted, its early, but he reminded me a little bit of what Scott McGarahan used to bring to the table when he donned the Green and Gold.

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.

Collins has been a steal (considering everyone and their dog called it a stupid pick).

Poppinga looks promising also. I think he's going to be a starter next year.

I think if we moved Barnett to the outside and move Thomas to MLB we could have something special.

OLB-Barnett
MLB-Thomas (played MLB with the Rams in his first season)
OLB-Poppinga

Diggs would be in the mix somewhere to.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers- No value this year. Any other position drafted here wold have contributed.
Collins- Some rookie mistakes but will be a very good safety.
Murphy- minimal contribution. Insufficient play to evaluate.
Underwood- a work in progress but positive up side. Playing more than most rookies. Developing rapport with Collins a positive.
Popinga- Receiving the benefit of some playing time. Much better than at the begining of the season.
Coston- Unknown inactive. Good enough to keep. Is Flanagan gone?
Hawkins- For a guy who has faced very little high-level competition is performing well. His potential helped the decision on Thomas.
Montgomery- Forced Lee off roster. Was in rotation until injuries it. Will be again next year.
Whitticker- Starting. Learning. improving. Will start again next year.
Campbell- IR unk. Can he be one of the top 6 LB's next year? He will have to learn fast.
Manning-Will be in the rotation and on special teams next year.
White- Back up Guard next year.
Jenkins-Doing fine.
Williams- Much improvement
Cole- exceeding expectations.
Wells- Starting next year
Sander- Below ave punter
Washington-Contributed nothing and on roster by fingernails.
Carroll-Little improvement to date and the weak spot on defense.
Cats & Dogs at WR and RB- ?????

15(?) of these on roster next year? Perhaps 6 rookies in 06. This is the foundation of team developement.

I use the agriculture model and each rookie class as a crop that sprouts matures and yields, then eventually cleared for another year group. Some yeargroups are better than others.

Ted has started over with a large group of young players. By playing early in their careers we should hope that the maturation phase is accelerated and therefore the productive years of their careers is extended.

Keep working the roster Ted.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thomas shouldn't start at MLB, that was the reason they let him go and I think i read somewhere that he didn't like playing MLB either. Is Barnett good enough in coverage to play strong side LB, might have the size issue again with that move as well.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post. I like seeing all those young guys in there. That is the silver lining of this otherwise awful season. It should pay off a couple years down the road. Maybe after a decade of trying to maintain an above-average level of play every single year, but getting nowhere in the playoffs, the Packer organization (led by Thompson) has decided that they are better off with one or two down years, so they will have a better chance of peaking and really making some noise in the playoffs at some point in the not-too-distant future.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins: Always getting better and has shown excellent speed and nose for ball, just needs to improve his hands

Underwood: Big hitter who needs to work on coverage skills, Something experience should remedy.

Poppinga: Plays with extreme fire and always everywhere. Wonder if the packers would ever consider moving him to the DE position. He is bout as big as KGB and is fast. would give Kampman a breather on Passing downs because he really doens't do anything on passing downs anyway.

Manning: Good nose for the ball and seems to have good quickness. Doesn't have that starting quality though

Rodgers...Not much. I expect a lot more then we got this coming preseason. He better show he's got what it takes.

Terrance Murphy: Showed good hands and decent speed when not injured. Has got to get over that bug before saying anything else

Whittiker: Seems to be a decent RG. The packers need a big body at the RG postion and seems to fit the mold. Need to get a New LG though, not sold on Klemm.

Non-Rookies

Robert Thomas: Seems to be a better OLB then a MLB(position he played for the Rams). Good speed and decent in coverage. Overall our LB need to improve their pass coverage skills

Next year will be the year of the packers, saying it now. Injuries killed the team, as much as play calling did (hope Rossely is fired after this year, deserved more so then Donetell did) and with play makers hopefully being added and our offenseive weapons coming back, brett farve shouldn't have to put the burden on his shoulders.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I just wanted to say that I for one am impressed. I liked some things I saw:

- Collins is proving he was worth the 2nd round pick. I like this kid more each week. What else can I say? It's been said before, and its all true.

- Carroll had a solid game to build on. Lets face it, its not going to be an overnight transformation, and Bates is working his magic. I just hope Carroll continues to improve. Just one thing that pissed me off..... FOR GOD SAKES SHUT UP AND KEEP FOCUSED. Is it just me or does he have a celebration after every play as if he made a game turning play?

- Hawkins was getting expereince. He didn't hurt us being out there. Was solid and should get more PT.

- Underwood made a rookie mistake early, but had some great coverage later on. One play stood out to me the most. During the 4th Q., 3rd and 12, he covered a Pit. WR beautifully. Was right on him. This begs the question, should he be moved to CB if Carroll falters?

- Poppinga continued to improve. I like this kid, he has a never quit attitude. Eventually his effort and determination will pay off for him.

- Thornburg was a unknown to me. But man is he fast. And he can tackle. I wouldn't be surprised if this kid gradually got more snaps as time went on. He looks like a keeper.

Carroll is improving? How is that? Now that I think about it, he did go from being beat,committing penalties, and being a distraction to just being beat and being a distraction, unless you count the penalties he had against the Bengals, then he is being beat,committing penalties, and being a distraction. But uh...whatever you say. Also, shoot his dog, and then carroll, in the face...and then the people who think he is good, shoot them too.

Thornburg...I think hes a special teams guy, but If he has what it takes, id like to see more of him. I also like to start "THOOORNBURG!! THOOOORNBUUUURG!!" Chants.

You said " - Hawkins was getting expereince. He didn't hurt us being out there. Was solid and should get more PT. "

In other words, "Hawkins is better than Carroll." There, I cleaned that up for you.

Underwood, I didnt see much of him out there, besides his one mistake, which is ok. I have seen worse(note footage of ahmad carroll, 2004-2005,2005-2006 seasons). I hope he pans out. Id love a young safety duo back there for bates to mold.

That is all....and shoot carrolls dog...and read my new column on the main page. see signature for direct link.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Hey Trom... as you said..."Nick Collins, the impressive rookie safety is 22. Mike Hawkins, who people hope gets a starting job opposite Al Harris, is only 21. The kid can just NOW legally drink, so let’s give him some time, ok?"

Now aren't you choosing to be ignorant of Carroll's age. He JUST turned 22! If Hawkins can get some time to improve, why can't Carroll? He is proving he can be a decent CB, but still has a ways to go. Regardless, I'm going to knock on wood. Last years and this years Carroll is a night and day difference. If you had to pick one to start opposite Al, and no you can't choose a FA, or start a rookie or Horton, you would choose Carroll form this year. Just give him some more time, and with Bates around, Carroll could be decent.

As for your "THOOORNBURG!! THOOOORNBUUUURG!!" Chants, count me in! :D

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
If you had to pick one to start opposite Al, and no you can't choose a FA, or start a rookie or Horton, you would choose Carroll form this year. Just give him some more time, and with Bates around,

Exactly what I have been trying to say lately :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts