Observations From Monday Night..............

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On what body of work is Joe Bonamego's reputation as a special team's standout built? How many returns were mishandled? Penalties are damn near assured on any return and there is consistently no blocking.

Mike Sherman truly looked like a deer in the headlights last night...the body language of a man resigned to defeat.

The entire team was playing at half speed all night....look how the Ravens were flying around and look at the Packers...they walked into the stadium prepared to lose and did precisely that.

Penalties, penalties, penalties, penalties, penalties.......................

Our offense is predictable and antiquated...our QB has been mishandled for years and it is now all coming home to roost. This staff has ben too in awe of the guy to coach him...."why, heck......that's BRETT FAVRE we have there....he always bails us out." Well, not anymore...the bad habits that were previously tolerated by this staff are now manifest.

The defense is what it is....a bunch of overachievers who, while providing a solid foundation on which to build, can get beat badly on an off night. Last night was an off night.

By my estimation, Nick Collins (even with his errors), Brett Favre and Big Will were the ony guys who seemed to show up last night.

It seems that the players have lost confidence in where they have been led and who is doing the leading.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
It seems that the players have lost confidence in where they have been led abnd who is doing the leading.

IF this is the case then Sherman has to go. I'm not willing to go there yet. I have always defended Sherman but I have also said if he loses the locker room then that is when he will have to go.

I do agree with you that our offensive playbook needs to be blown up. Our receivers are either the worst in the league at getting seperation or we have been running the same patterns for so many years the DB's know where they are going. I swear to God, a couple times it looked like our receivers were actually following the DB's down the field. I have been saying this for a couple years.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree DePack...only when MS losses the team...and last night was close. The team had been playing hard for him all year, but then last night they tanked it. If they can't bring it back (effort) the next 2 games, then I will no longer be in support of MS

As for ppl who tried last night, agreed digs...but I'd add chatman to the list, but for the most part, the rest of the team threw up the white flags.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every week, I watch the most average teams get average receivers wide open...and yet every week the Packers' WRs have to claw their way through the defense and fight for every ball.

While most teams use formations, movement, and routes (you know, ones that actually COMPLEMENT the other to faciliate a man breaking wide open) the Packers' scheme has the WRs fighting for every inch and crack.

Much like Sherman/Rossley, the scheme is reactive instead of proactive. Passive instead of aggressive. Even when we had all our offensive talent in the past several years (and believe me, that line, Favre, Green and our WR group were top shelf talent), when we were in a position to literally impose our will on defenses, these guys STILL called a passive game. HELLO...the leage has changed the rules to facilitate and reward aggressive play...and yet....we have SheRossley (thanks 66) calling this Harry High School ****!

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, yeah...did anyone else notice Brett chewing some serious *** in the huddle last night. Ferguson and the OL were horrible. About the only guy with any fire last night was the long-in-the-tooth QB...all the youngsters looked like they didn't even want to make the trip.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Oh, yeah...did anyone else notice Brett chewing some serious *** in the huddle last night. Ferguson and the OL were horrible. About the only guy with any fire last night was the long-in-the-tooth QB...all the youngsters looked like they didn't even want to make the trip.

That was after Fergy dropped a makeable catch in the endzone, and DD then short-armed another makeable TD grab. They gave up on Brett last night...I expect that from Fergy, but not from guys like clifton and Driver

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs...having said all that. Is TT accountable? His first big decision was whether or not to extend Sherm's contract. IF he did make a mistake, how can you trust him to pick talent or choose the next head coach?

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Sherman contract was fairly political. I mean, you had a lame-duck coach if not for the contract extension. How do you fill staff vacancies and get players to buy in when they know the guy is dead man walking? I think TT also understood, at least for this year, the necessity for retaining Sherman for continuity's sake...particularly between QB and coach/offense to see up close what he truly had. I do not view it as a mistake on TT's part, I think it more of necessity considering the fragile circumstances at the time the decision was made.

As far as him selecting talent....this past year was one of the better drafts we had in years in a fairly thin draft. Watch the man work with a draft that many consider loaded top to bottom in most key areas.

Look, if he decides to shitcan Sherman, the $6 million is not like the JJ contract in that it won't haunt us for years to come.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The total lack of pressure by the Packers defense stood out like a sore thumb last night. We had zero pressure on boller and made him and the ravens o line look like pro bowl players. These were teams of equal records going in and one played with heart and the other layed down. Kgb our defensive leader was not even head from last night and was owned on every play by Orden. Any team with a large quick footed lineman shood line him up on kgb's side and swollow him up on every play.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
The total lack of pressure by the Packers defense stood out like a sore thumb last night. We had zero pressure on boller and made him and the ravens o line look like pro bowl players.

The D-line was just fine last night. The Ravens O-line DOES have a bunch of pro-bowlers. Ok, so one pro-bowlers and a lot of very good lineman.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The D-line was just fine last night. The Ravens O-line DOES have a bunch of pro-bowlers. Ok, so one pro-bowlers and a lot of very good lineman

If that is the case why did j lewis only have one 100 yard rushing game before last night and Bollers qb rating was 60.5. I bet every team the ravens played this year had pressue on Boller and stuffed j lewis at the point of attack. We had neither last night. J lewis had more runs for over ten yards last night in the first half than he did all year. Our defensive lineman rush with the blinders on and can't switch from blitz to run on the move. Kgb's speed rush around the outside takes him out of every run and the defense is left with 10 defenders on every run.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs...I gotta disagree. All the assistants were on Board when he extended the contract. If it was a purely political move, why did he wait so long to extend it. His reasoning was that he wanted to see how Sherman worked out. Harlan gave him full responsibility.

The bottomline is he chose to sign Sherm for two more years. That was his first big decision and probably the most important decision he will make. If he blew it, like you and others are saying, How can you possibly have faith in him to make the right call next time? I'm not saying he did blow it, but if he did, he should be fired. 6.5 million AND probably denying Favre one last chance at a title , in my mind, would be an unforgiveable mistake.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the reality is that a 1 year offer would be rejected because it is what it is....a vote of no confidence....and Sherman would operate as a lame duck. It is not like he signed Sherman to a 5 year $25 million deal. He did what he did to see what he had and, more importantly, what he didn't have.

I think Sherman's sideline disposition last night may be sufficient for TT to pull the trigger. The guy had that same confused and lost look that I used to see from Randy Wright damn near ever time he dropped back. He looked like a defeated man with no capacity to inspire action or confidence.

There comes a point in a game like last night where Sherman has to start letting players know he is a leader...even if it does not change the outcome...rather than standing there looking like a 8 year old whose Halloween candy has been stolen.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure Sherman looked like a deer caught in the headlights last night. He was pretty fired up at the start (one of three guys who showed any emotion last night). After we went down 21-3, I thought he just looked disgusted with the effort last night. Notwithstanding any of that, that game probably cost Sherman his job. Those of you clamoring for a new coach are going to get their wish I just hope it works out and that Sherman doesn't go on to lead the Texans to a string of winning seasons.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If...IF the Packers do in fact hire a new HC, my money says TT pulls a guy with outstanding defensive credentials....and he will probably be a younger guy.

Likely Candidate: Eric Mangini, Patriots DC - A true prodigy who has excelled at every opportunity/responsibility afforded him in his rapid ascent through the ranks. Guy is directly responsible for keeping a truly decimated defensive unit together and productive over the course of this season...tells me he can flat out coach people up to any task necessary when you look at who he has worked with and the production he has achieved.

Dark Horse Ccandidate: Ron Rivera, Chicago Bears DC - The guy is young, but his leadership qualities are unquestionable. And given how rapidly he has risen through the ranks, it is evident he has excellent capacity to learn and expand into new responsibilities.

Yeah, I know...a looooonnng shot. But I get the feeling he will be a great coach in several years.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman will be back. IF he isn't I think he will chose an aggressive offensive minded coach that will appease Favre. Otherwise Favre goes. That would look good on TT's legacy.....the guy who forced Brett to retire!

TT has already said he hopes Favre comes back. Sherman will be back.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's going to be pretty tough to bring him back after last night. I don't think he deserves to be fired, but I think there's a good chance he will be.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I turned it off. You can't say they quit when the defense and special teams never showed up. The offense did quit. It looked like after Bret threw up a couple of flairs in double coverage they all threw in the towel. I can understand the frustration level after losing a bunch of close games and losing so many players to injury. But total lack of effort like Driver showed on the throw he IGNORED and times when linemen didn't bother to block starts to become character issues.
As far as Sherman goes as Sherman the coach or Sherman the former GM this mess lies with him. It's absolutely unacceptable to be left in a position where you lose BOTH your premier guards and can't replace either of them because you paid guys like KGB as if he was Reggie or some other hall of famer . I've never been impressed with his coaching. We haven't really been a playoff team for years getting blown out early when we did get there by virtue of a weak division but did have the offensive talent that he has now allowed to slip away.

Members online

Latest posts