Oakland never gave Green Bay a chance to match

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packerchatters.com/4ums/index.php?showtopic=5580

I don't like to defend his missing out on Moss, but this may shed some light on the situation. Harlan is usually very open and does call you back if you leave a message.

"I then asked Harlan about Randy Moss. Now this part shocked me. Harlan was very open and honest about the situation. Harlan told me he went to bed on Sat. night BELIEVING that Randy Moss was going to be a Packer. Harlan said they (the Packers) found out that Moss was a Patriot when they turned on the TV on Sun. morning. Harlan said Moss' agent (who is NOT Bus Cook) NEVER gave the Packers a call after New England jumped in with the 4th round pick and the new deal for Moss. Harlan said it happens all the time and it is very annoying. Harlan told me he wished Moss' agent would have given the Packers a chance to match New Englands offer. Harlan went on to say that the Packers had a deal to get Moss for a 5th round pick and never offered higher because they didnt know they had to. Thus, they never offered one of their 3rd round picks."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dang so many things out there, what is the truth about the Moss thing??

I wish Randy would issue a statment

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
That statement makes sense. I could see Moss' agent doing that and I honestly can't blame him. You want your client's playing for championships. I see the Patriots ready for another ring, I see the Packers gaining more experience for their young guys for a run for a ring in the future and not next year.

edit, from what I got from the quoted material it was Moss' agent, not Oakland that didn't give the Packers a chance, thus the title of this thread is deceiving. However, I jus got out of the shower and am naked with the window open so I could be wrong.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The truth is that Moss is in NE and not in GB, it doesn't matter why, like it or not.

Brett is staying that is the important thing, he will make his receivers better then they really are as always, DD will be a pro-bowler in 2007, GJ will show huge improvement, and a good 3rd receiver will emerge.

Take that and add an average running game and a young improving defense and you have the making of a Packer team who will make a run in the play-offs.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well don't forget that Ted is probably banking on Krob being re-instated someplace along this year... and we know that Ted drafted him and will give him every opportunity to make the team.

Speaking of that KROB should be cut for not attending the minicamps... :rotflmao:

Seriously though... Ted should have closed the deal on Saturday with regards to Moss if he really wanted him.... so one of two things are apparent.. Either Ted really didn't want the risk of Moss on the team or he lacked the killer instinct to close the deal.

This was brewing for months... the Patriots shouldn't have been a factor.

OP
OP
W

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well don't forget that Ted is probably banking on Krob being re-instated someplace along this year... and we know that Ted drafted him and will give him every opportunity to make the team.

Speaking of that KROB should be cut for not attending the minicamps... :rotflmao:

Seriously though... Ted should have closed the deal on Saturday with regards to Moss if he really wanted him.... so one of two things are apparent.. Either Ted really didn't want the risk of Moss on the team or he lacked the killer instinct to close the deal.

Well, this is what I don't understand. The Packers thought they had it in the bag. They didn't need to act aggressively. Usually trades happen very close to the pick (would have been in the 5th round for the Pack). I just think the Pats pulled a fast one.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Ted felt he could get Moss for his cheap price, then the Patriots came in and took him away with a fourth. I mean, why give up a fourth if you can get the guy for a fifth? Guess you miss out on Moss.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:

Well, this is what I don't understand. The Packers thought they had it in the bag. They didn't need to act aggressively. Usually trades happen very close to the pick (would have been in the 5th round for the Pack). I just think the Pats pulled a fast one.

Possibly... but if you really wanted said player and you have been working the deal for months... why not close the deal...In Harlan's words... "It is annoying... it happens all the time." Shouldn't that be a clue to close the deal up fast. You didn't see the 9er's waiting around to close the Jackson deal.

To me.. if this is in your plans.. close the friggin deal up so another team can't get involved.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers management did what the majority of the fans wanted, they passed on Randy Moss. Now the Packer management is being bashed by the majority of the fans for this decision.

Thank god this non-logic fan base doesn't run the Packers and thank god Thompson does.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
wils0646 said:
Pack93z said:

Possibly... but if you really wanted said player and you have been working the deal for months... why not close the deal...In Harlan's words... "It is annoying... it happens all the time." Shouldn't that be a clue to close the deal up fast. You didn't see the 9er's waiting around to close the Jackson deal.

To me.. if this is in your plans.. close the friggin deal up so another team can't get involved.

You confuse me?? They thought they had it done, no clues that NE was ready to pounce...Othe rthen it wasnt signed what else could they have done?? I know thats a huge part of it ( the signature) but in all honesty how were they to know NE was ready tp jump/..

Side note..This is the same type of thing that happened with the Adam V from last year and the Colts..Packers were set to make him highest paid kicker and he goes and sings with Indy for a little more..W/O the Packers getting a chance to up their price

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank goodnes for that ignore button, it works really well on those who post just to argue instead of realizing everyone has their own opinion and are allowed to express it without being attacked.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(not refering to you LNGTMFN)

Pack93z

Reaction score
The Packers management did what the majority of the fans wanted, they passed on Randy Moss. Now the Packer management is being bashed by the majority of the fans for this decision.

Thank god this non-logic fan base doesn't run the Packers and thank god Thompson does.

LOL... so Harlan going to bed at night thinking Moss was a Packer says they didn't want Moss..... hmmm interesting..

I give two rats less if Moss is a Packer or not... what is telling is that this management style is passive... and we shall see what a passive front office gets us.

I think you are missing something... whom owns the Packers... this non-logical fan base you seem to like to bash every other post.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ownership does not make one competent to run something, and the fanbase isn't.

Harlan has said most of the calls he got regarding Moss was "don't bring that son of a ***** to Green Bay".

When Moss didn't become a Packer after all, the management is bashed for it, there is no logic to this.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
wils0646 said:
Pack93z said:

You confuse me?? They thought they had it done, no clues that NE was ready to pounce...Othe rthen it wasnt signed what else could they have done?? I know thats a huge part of it ( the signature) but in all honesty how were they to know NE was ready tp jump/..

Side note..This is the same type of thing that happened with the Adam V from last year and the Colts..Packers were set to make him highest paid kicker and he goes and sings with Indy for a little more..W/O the Packers getting a chance to up their price

Longtime.. I know I am splitting hairs here a little... but that is my point... if you got burnt one time won't you change your approach to make sure that you don't get burned again. That is one of the lacking points I see in Thompson.

Don't get me wrong... I LIKE alot of the things Thompson is doing with the Packers... but I just don't know that he has it in him to pull the trigger in pressure situations... MY opinion.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a thought about this trade with the old rebel & recalcitrant Al Davis senior partner of the Oakland for a "me only thinking " and character issues wide Receiver Randy Moss with the Packers that fell part during NFL draft.

This is like sleeping in bed with with two black widow spiders and not expecting getting bite by one or both them.

Does any one really know what kind of negotiations these two characters had with the Patriots? We do know that Randy Moss really is happy to be with a Super Bowl contender, the Patriots , and He considers the Packers are not a contender!!! Where do you think Moss would wanted to go?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:
wils0646 said:
Pack93z said:

Longtime.. I know I am splitting hairs here a little... but that is my point... if you got burnt one time won't you change your approach to make sure that you don't get burned again. That is one of the lacking points I see in Thompson.

Don't get me wrong... I LIKE alot of the things Thompson is doing with the Packers... but I just don't know that he has it in him to pull the trigger in pressure situations... MY opinion.

I understand your point 100%

Did Moss say Ill sign in the am, did his agent say we will fly up and sign it in the am, or did Moss and agent say lets wait one day to see if we get a better offer..Did Oakland say hold off one more day..

If the Pack were told we will sign papers the next day or that Randy would be there in am to complete it, what more should they have done?

Pack93z

Reaction score
I understand your point 100%

Did Moss say Ill sign in the am, did his agent say we will fly up and sign it in the am, or did Moss and agent say lets wait one day to see if we get a better offer..Did Oakland say hold off one more day..

If the Pack were told we will sign papers the next day or that Randy would be there in am to complete it, what more should they have done?

You are correct, we don't know all the specifics... but what I see is a pattern with regards to the Packers GM. We plod along and wait for things to come to us... Passive.

What could have been done is say, like any manager with something big sitting on the table that would help your company/team, what will it take to close the deal out. One time... yes.. we got outfoxed, but a couple of times.. you have to look at it and question it, IMO.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Moss wanted NE and we didn't get a chance to counter offer, there is nothing that GB could have done. If we had originally offered a 4th NE could have come in with a 3rd at the last second and we wouldn't have had a chance to counter. To think that this deal could have gotten done weeks before the draft is unrealistic.
We were used as leverage for what Moss and Oakland really wanted, and a number of people in the GB organization (including Favre) played right into their hands.
In fact, Thompson, by being tight lipped and all business - while avoiding the hype of Moss in GB - was one of the few who didn't play their game.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Here is something that I found stumbling around today... thought it would maybe shed a little light on the subject... not trying to stir it back up but provide some light via the Patriots news..

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast

We hear that while the deal that brought WR Randy Moss to the Patriots in the early-morning hours of the second day of the draft in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick was finalized during a conversation between Bill Belichick and Al Davis, it had been in the works for more than a year. Moss first became interested in New England after the team traded away No. 1 WR Deion Branch last September, and word filtered its way to the Patriots. We hear that Belichick has always loved Moss’ talent and that, after talking to friends around the league who know Moss, he came to the conclusion that he could get Moss to play hard for him. In addition, we hear that the rumor that Moss was willing to renegotiate his contract only with the Patriots is untrue. Word is Moss was so desperate to get out of Oakland that he would have renegotiated with other teams, including the Packers. The reason why Moss ended up in New England and not Green Bay is simple — the Packers wouldn’t budge from their offer of a fifth-round pick.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The truth is that Moss is in NE and not in GB, it doesn't matter why, like it or not.

Really, i thought it did. I thought it was cuz TT didn't pull the trigger.

interesting.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:

Really, i thought it did. I thought it was cuz TT didn't pull the trigger.

interesting.

The Natural Order of the Universe dictated that Moss will play in Green Bay. Everything was aligned perfectly, and Thompson went and screwed it all up.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just another typical discussion topic in Packer Nation.

The anti-TT people will take an article like this and try and make it look like it's all TT's fault.

The TT fan club will take it and find some way to pat him on the back for doing a great job.

And the other 98% of the fans will just sit back and hope that something comes out of this that will get the Packers back to being a winning team again.

STNC

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just another typical discussion topic in Packer Nation.

Just another typical condescending Lare post that does nothing except bait the anti-tt and pro-tt crowds.

Latest posts