"O" line

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and running the ball is MM\Jags #1 priority, so i hope that works...

if you fail on your #1 priority....yikes!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you don't run the football, you get what the Packers got last year - INT, INT, INT...

Favre doesn't have the patience to check down every play or take the safe throw when he falls behind. When the Packers were dominant, they always seemed to get ahead of teams and run the ball down their throats - I'd like to see them get back to that... :)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well at the end of last year things got on the right track(klemm got benched, whitticker progressed at RG) so they will recognize that...and go from there..

id bet money the o-line will be average or better.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will be better and it's because I think this coaching staff will commit to the run and stick with it. I'm not a renowned MS hater or anything, but he would abandon the run, I don't think anyone could argue otherwise with that...I just don't think MM will give up on the run that easily.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he DID abandon it...that was one of my big complaints about him

that and empty backfields on 3rd and longs which would mean brett would get destroyed...but thats another rant..

he would abandon it...and these coaches dont sound like they will...it will be an area of strength, nto weaknes...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's between Spitz, and Coston for the RG job and I wouldn't sleep on Chris White either.

Whittaker to big and to slow. You don't start guys that don't fit.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Whitticker will fit the bill as a guard in Jags offensive line scheme either...he'll make a decent backup tackle though and give the team added depth IMO.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess im the only one who has hope for Whitty. Thats fine.

I gotta love a 7th round rookie who comes in and isnt the worst player on the line..

and entering year 2, i have to root for him.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that how you take my read Trom? Man, I need to work on stating things a little clearer. I haven't given up hope on Whitt yet but I do see a guy who is a big, heavy mauler in a scheme that requires more agility. If he loses weight and gains agility, he may be the best we have. I too was impressed with him coming in as a rookie.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i see most people writing him off because he's "bigger" than the ideal guard. however, our line is not in an ideal state. I think whit has a shot. If he gets beat, thats fine, let the best man win.

i think it is entirely possible for him to become more agile and lighter, just as i can see him not doing it.

It will be interesting to see though, and i'll be rooting for him.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey, if it means our O-Line being better...more power to him. I'm rooting for the line to finish what they started last season and keep improving. I see Gado and Green as a serious one-two combo that most people are writing off. It also sounds like Davenport will be working in at FB. That would be a mean, nasty backfield eh?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, and cliff was talking about this Brown kid, making some noise in the RB group.

Green,Gado,Davenport,Herron,Brown

that works for me.

our oline at the end of the season was ok(average at BEST), and we have better guards than we did then, so....yeah...take that for what its worth.

I like our Oline at this point. Should be interesting to watch.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all have to like Wells, Clifton, and Tausch already. Whitticker showed what he had as a rookie and it wasn't terrible at all...in fact, he should improve a great deal in his 2nd season. From all reports, Colledge looks the part and Spitz has been making noise...

Let's see what they can do...damn, September is a long ways away!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge's knee bend is exceptional and maybe it sounds trite, but he just looks the part. Spitz is a different kind of an athlete. He seems to be one of those guys who plays with good base, good leverage, all those little things that matter.

Finally someone has pointed out that other than Colledges knee bend his fundamentals are less than spectacular. This has been what I have been saying since the draft. Unfortunately Spitz is probably not as powerful as Colledge so its a lose-lose combination. We just don't have the complete package at guard. I look for Colledge to start the season but be replaced mid-season. I just don't se him or Spitz being the answer this year.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
yeah what do the coaches\scouts know? screw them!

Yep, the scouts are always right. They were right about Donnell Washington as well. They drafted him and said "This guys going to be a fat slob and will be cut in a few years"

Gee Trom, I guess since we have these ALL-WORLD scouts that us fans have nothing to worry about. We have the best team possible because these guys are never wrong. It's just obvious that Colledge fundamentally is lacking at this time and someone else just pointed it out.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can tell you never stepped foot on a football field, quite the genius comparing a QB's fundamentals to a OG's........god help you

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course you can tell that. You apparently know everything. You know more than the coaches and scouts, so why wouldn't you know my life story as well.

yikes. I'm done with you.

rob836

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both Colledge and Spitz will end up as starters. but we will soon find out.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Colledge's knee bend is exceptional and maybe it sounds trite, but he just looks the part. Spitz is a different kind of an athlete. He seems to be one of those guys who plays with good base, good leverage, all those little things that matter.

Finally someone has pointed out that other than Colledges knee bend his fundamentals are less than spectacular. This has been what I have been saying since the draft. Unfortunately Spitz is probably not as powerful as Colledge so its a lose-lose combination. We just don't have the complete package at guard. I look for Colledge to start the season but be replaced mid-season. I just don't se him or Spitz being the answer this year.

Colledge has great lower body strength but lacks upper body strength. He's set records in the deadlift but only put 19 reps of 225 on the bench.

Edit: Unless we bring someone in, I see at least one rookie starting the whole year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Yep, the scouts are always right. They were right about Donnell Washington as well. They drafted him and said "This guys going to be a fat slob and will be cut in a few years"

Scouts no more than you. Scouts are paid and make a living off of this and do it year round.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:

Scouts no more than you. Scouts are paid and make a living off of this and do it year round.

Yes but they are not always right Porky. It's my opinion on Colledge just like you have opinions on other people. We will see, but when Colledge gets tossed around like a rag doll this year you can remember where you heard it at.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:

Yes but they are not always right Porky. It's my opinion on Colledge just like you have opinions on other people. We will see, but when Colledge gets tossed around like a rag doll this year you can remember where you heard it at.

I'm not expecting him to come in and be a Pro Bowl guard the 1st year. I'm expecting him to go through growing pains and I'm expecting him to be like every other rookie in the NFL. A developmental project. Colledge is going to probably start unless we bring someone in. As of now I don't think we'll bring someone in. We had our chance to bring in someone like Ross Verba to push him and Coston at guard and we wouldn't pay up.

Members online

Latest posts