"O" line

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:D Jago says in Packer Plus that Costen has the RG position for now. Moved him there from LG as Colledge is working LG. Jag seems pleased with the improvement of the "O" line. That's some good news

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, Coston has had the inside edge as far at the RG job. That works for me.

That means he is beating Whitticker, who didnt do too terrible last year..so he is better ....this is good!

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have a talented young O-line, we shouldn't expect to much this first season, but hopefully they will catch on next season! :D

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because Whitcker is more flexible and has been starting at the important positon of LT due to the injuries to Clifton and Klemm does not mean he will not be moving back to RG when Clifton returns.

Be careful on this one.

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:-? Yeah! This is not the full dress rehersal yet There may be others who will pop up once the pads go on. Either way it sounds more promising then last yr when Sherm was trying to hornshoe a couple of rejects into those positions.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Just because Whitcker is more flexible and has been starting at the important positon of LT due to the injuries to Clifton and Klemm does not mean he will not be moving back to RG when Clifton returns.

Be careful on this one.

He wont' be unless he drops his weight. He's not quick enough to play any guard in this blocking scheme.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they still have plenty of time to lose weight.

the real...TRUE competitions for jobs arent until training camp.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seem to remember that around this same time last year everyone was pleased with the performance of the new offensive linemen and pumped about the great competition there was for the starting spots. The line then ended up being one of the worst in the NFL.

At this point it looks like we'll have three new starters on the OL, two of which have never played in an NFL game. Think I'll wait to see how they do in game siutations before I pass judgement either way.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our Oline

Tauscher is money
Clifton is money
Wells is super underrated and outperformed Flanagan and is in great shape
Colledge appears to be our LG for years

the only spot I dont feel comfortable at is the RG spot.

Coston vs. Spitz. vs. Whitticker

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
I seem to remember that around this same time last year everyone was pleased with the performance of the new offensive linemen and pumped about the great competition there was for the starting spots. The line then ended up being one of the worst in the NFL.

At this point it looks like we'll have three new starters on the OL, two of which have never played in an NFL game. Think I'll wait to see how they do in game siutations before I pass judgement either way.

ditto.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasnt pumped up...I have a good gauge of talent...because i listen to everything...cuz im a nerd

I remember being hyped about this kid named Ahmad Carroll...

but all reports were that he sucked...

I refused to believe it...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Even if he loses 15-20 pouns in a month, he'll still lack the quickness to play guard. Jago has already stated, Whittaker is more of a RT in this scheme so I expect him as Tauscher's backup.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well...i dont think even whitticker knows how fast he will be at that weight...

so i dont think jags will know either.

I still think he's in the running. Dont get me wrong, I dont want him to get the job, but dont underestimate the young man. he had a solid rookie campaign for a 7th round nobody.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
well...i dont think even whitticker knows how fast he will be at that weight...

so i dont think jags will know either.

I still think he's in the running. Dont get me wrong, I dont want him to get the job, but dont underestimate the young man. he had a solid rookie campaign for a 7th round nobody.

You don't gain speed by losing weight.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare posted:"I seem to remember that around this same time last year everyone was pleased with the performance of the new offensive linemen and pumped about the great competition there was for the starting spots. The line then ended up being one of the worst in the NFL."

Who was this everyone? They were not any Packer fans that I know here in Green Bay. Most of us were worried to have a rookie OG and a converted Tackle at the guard position. And all the changing of offensive line personel by Coach Sherman right up the end of training camp was unsettling, to say the least. And I think, the changing of offensive line personel continued into early part the '05 regular season games also

Also, All the Green Bay Press-Gazette Sports reporters , very early as I recall, were very concerned about the O G positions with the Packers and wrote articles about their concerns..

Remember the OG postion wasn't the only problem the Packers had last year. The many injuries the Packers had, especially to core offensive players, caused many problems to Packer offense.

Remember this is a new season in the NFL and NFL Teams can turn around a losing season one year to a winning season the next year in this era of competitve balance in NFL..It has happened many times to many NFL teams, such as the The Pittsburgh Steelers, Chicago Bears, New England Patriots, & San Diego Chargers just to mention a few NFL teams who did so, in the last decade in NFL.

My question to you Pf posters who keep predicting a losing season for Packer in '06. If many NFL teams tuned their losing season in one year to a winning season the next year--Why not the Packers, in '06?

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Tell that to Washington, :wink: though I agree with your second line, "the TRUE competition for jobs aren't until training camp" and during the exhibition season.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Tell that to Washington, :wink: though I agree with your second line, "the TRUE competition for jobs aren't until training camp" and during the exhibition season.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DO NOT FORGET ABOUT JASON SPITZ...

From Cliff Christl's blog:
FRIDAY, June 9, 2006,

Spitz makes an impression

As Brett Favre said at his Thursday press conference, the Green Bay Packers will learn the truth about their young offensive guards sometime after Sept. 10 when they start lining up against the likes of Shaun Rogers and Pat Williams. But don’t be surprised if the Packers wind up starting two rookies at guard.

The deeper the Packers get into their off-season workouts, the more there is to like about third-round draft pick Jason Spitz. At first glance, second-round choice Daryn Colledge looked to be the better athlete. Colledge's knee bend is exceptional and maybe it sounds trite, but he just looks the part. Spitz is a different kind of an athlete. He seems to be one of those guys who plays with good base, good leverage, all those little things that matter.

From the start of the first minicamp, Spitz’s punch stood out in both pass protection and the run game. He has what they call in the trade “heavy hands.â€

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if whitticker is gonna be taushcers backup

then klemm will be cut...because thats the job that Klemm is going for (backup tackle).

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offensive line is the key to the entire offense. If they can open holes, even average running backs can be productive. If they can pass block Favre will get the ball to the receivers. Favre has made pro bowl players out of receiver who didn't deserve to be pro bowl players. I'm going to miss Larry Beightol. He was the best coach on that team for years.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The O-Line will decide whether the Packers will be effective on offense this year. If the OL can run block and open holes, Favre will dissect every defense he sees this season. It all starts up front and if they can run the football.

Members online

Latest posts