O line depth

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with bulaga being a guy who can't stay healthy and what I see as questionable depth, do you think we should draft for depth on the o line this year? Early rounds? Mid - late rounds?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No earlier than the 4th, imo, but I do expect us to draft at least one 4th or after.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming we break camp with our preferred 7 healthy, we're set for game day.

The starters are obvious. Tretter and Barclay make for perfect utility players. A solid rookie would be no. 8 and probably all the more we'd caryy on the 53.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have 5 really good starters and two backups that we could get by starting if we had to.

No team is 8 or 9 deep with great offensive linemen but our O line depth looks as good as it has in a long time.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I would really like to see Thompson hit on another OT in the middle rounds. I like both Tretter and Barclay backing up inside better than OT, but to be fair both could get better at OT.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Barclay a free agent. And Tretter not being the model of durability. Both coming off IR. We need to draft another backup. Sure glad we got the starting 5 locked up now that Bulaga is signed for 5 years!.

D

Deleted member 6794

with bulaga being a guy who can't stay healthy and what I see as questionable depth, do you think we should draft for depth on the o line this year? Early rounds? Mid - late rounds?

I would be fine with the Packers using a late round pick on an offensive lineman. The team has five really good starters and decent backups in Barclay and Tretter, no need to spend an early round pick on the position.

With Barclay a free agent. And Tretter not being the model of durability. Both coming off IR. We need to draft another backup. Sure glad we got the starting 5 locked up now that Bulaga is signed for 5 years!.

Barclay received a $1.542 million tender so he will be back next season. Tretter returned for the final eight games of the regular season and the playoffs last year so he should be healthy for the offseason program.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We draft one or two every year. Last I heard we appeared to be getting 2 or 3 compensatory picks. I bet TT and company draft 2 OL. Probably a pure Tackle and a versatile guy as well....with probably only one making the roster and other practice squad. We'll most likely add a undrafted guy for camp..maybe two.

D

Deleted member 6794

We draft one or two every year. Last I heard we appeared to be getting 2 or 3 compensatory picks. I bet TT and company draft 2 OL. Probably a pure Tackle and a versatile guy as well....with probably only one making the roster and other practice squad. We'll most likely add a undrafted guy for camp..maybe two.

I expect the Packers to receiver two compensatory picks for losing James Jones and EDS last season. Taking a offensive lineman on day 3 of the draft would be fine, otherwise I expect the draft to be heavy on defensive players.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I want us to draft an In-Line blocking TE to help further along our power run game. Jesse James from Penn State fits that bill and could be had in round 5 or 6.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t see that happening. First of all the contract he signed with the Bengals was close to the veteran´s minimum and he only played 34.2% of the snaps for Cincinnati.

What do you see us getting for Jones and EDS? a 5th and 6th? Jones had a pretty decent year for Oakland.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly, I want us to draft an In-Line blocking TE to help further along our power run game. Jesse James from Penn State fits that bill and could be had in round 5 or 6.

James has a lot of work to do as a run blocker but he could turn into a nice red zone target for the Packers. He won´t be on the board in the fifth round anymore though.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The consensus on everything I've read in articles trying to figure out comp picks is a 6th and a 7th.

a 7th for Jones or EDS? Both started every game for their collective team and had good seasons. Its going to either be a 5th and a 6th or two 6th's.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a 7th for Jones or EDS? Both started every game for their collective team and had good seasons. Its going to either be a 5th and a 6th or two 6th's.

ehhh EDS did not have a good season. Tampa has been pretty disappointed

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Daryn Colledge is worth a 4th and Erik Walden a 5th but James Jones and EDS are only worth a 6th and 7th, I really don't understand the compensatory formula at all.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Daryn Colledge is worth a 4th and Erik Walden a 5th but James Jones and EDS are only worth a 6th and 7th, I really don't understand the compensatory formula at all.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm not totally convinced the guys awarding the compensatory picks understand the secret formula.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The most important aspect appears to be the size of the contract they signed. That makes sense to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts