NYPacker mock draft

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I saw everyone doing a mock and I thought I'd share my own. My mock is based most on value since that is TT's main arsenal when judging prospects. All of the picks are based on where these players are projected to go.

Round 1: Charles Brown OT USC

No matter which way you look at it, the resignings of Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher did nothing but buy us time. We need to find an an heir to either one of these positions. I have confidence that Brown can rotate with Clifton on certain snaps and eventually take over. However if Brown busts and does not become the LT we're hoping for, he'll definitely be our RT of the future. Despite Lang being destined at the RT spot, Mccarthy addressed firmly that Lang should play LG so that is where I think he will play in the future.

Round 2: Reshad Jones FS/SS Georgia

This is a huge reach considering where we are picking and I have no doubt in my mind that if Chad Jones or Morgan Burnett are still available, they would be the pick here. Either way, Safety imo is the top need for our defense even though some people might think it's OLB, 3-4 DE or even CB. However Bigby nearly lost his job to Anthony Smith during the preseason last year and Reshad Jones can definitely do the same. He is the type of safety who's versatile at both safety spots and covers well too. God forbid if Nick Collins went down, Jones' versatility adds insurance in that he can take over the FS spot and we can just reinstert Bigby at SS.

Round 3: Koa Misi OLB Utah

This is extreme wishful thinking folks. Misi is probably the most complete OLB prospect based on scouting reports. I have yet to read a negative about him. Remember, we don't need a starting OLB just someone who can push Jones for the job. Misi is that type of player who excels in the 3 fundamental characteristics of a LB: Blitzing, Pass rush and Coverage. Like I said it's wishful thinking so if Misi isn't there...

OR Round 3: Dekoda Watson OLB FSU

Not a very popular prospect but he's been jumping up draft boards. Can do all the fundamental things for a LB as well. He is projected to go in round 3 so it's a value pick.

Round 4: Jacoby Ford Clemson RB/WR/PR/KR Clemson

I'm hoping he's still here based on the fact that he's projected to go in round 3. He can do all the things Parvinder can. He's not listed as a RB but can certainly play the spot since he lined up multiple times in the backfield while CJ Spiller took a breather. If he isn't there I'd reach for Trindon Holliday here. I know 4th round is probably too early to take him but he's been getting a lot of interest from the Raiders, 49ers and Redskins so it's safe just to take him here if Ford isn't available.

Round 5a: Kyle Calloway OT Iowa OR Sam Young OT Notre Dame

Either one of these OT's would be fine here. The way I see it, we need at least 2 offensive lineman from this draft. Calloway would be a steal in the 5th but Young is a more probable prospect since his stock has been on the decline. Still, I believe that Young is good lineman. He should become an heir to at least RT or one of the Guard positions.

Round 5b: Walter Mcfadden CB Auburn OR Trevard Lindley CB Kentucky OR Alterraun Verner CB UCLA

You're probably wondering why I'm taking CB this low since it's a priority need. It's actually due to TT's thinking since there are at least 6 CB on our roster. TT will be looking for a replacement pick, not an incumbent starter. If either of these 3 CB's fell, I'd love the chance to take them. Plus they are all projected to go in the 5th.

Round 6: Al Woods 3-4 DE LSU

Adds depth and could be a starter one day for our D-line. Perfect spot to take him.

Round 7: O'Brien Schofield OLB Wisconsin

I'm hoping that he's still here. Hopefully the injury concerns keep him from being drafted. Once he's off IR he'll make teams wish they'd take him earlier.

Notable Undrafted FA(s):

Mike Salerno K

I think Crosby will be our Kicker for the time being. However he'll need someone to push him to do better. Salerno would be a great pickup since he could do just that. Plus he's actually a hybrid Kicker/Punter so he could even compete for the punting job.

Matt Nichols QB Eastern Michigan OR Tim Hiller QB Western Michigan

Yes we have the battle of the Michigans here and it'll be one to watch. I didn't want to waste a draft pick on a QB since I don't think any rookie QB will beat out a 3 year backup in Flynn. Hiller and Nichols are great QB's who probably won't get drafted since they have a lot of questions surrounding them. Yet they'd make great No. 3 QB's on any team.

Kyle Mccarthy S Notre Dame

I can't believe he's projected to go undrafted. Let the highlight tape speak for itself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTnrDWH8whs"]YouTube- Kyle McCarthy top 10 Strong Safety 2010 draft[/ame]

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Round 5b: Walter Mcfadden CB Auburn OR Trevard Lindley CB Kentucky OR Alterraun Verner CB UCLA

You're probably wondering why I'm taking CB this low since it's a priority need. It's actually due to TT's thinking since there are at least 6 CB on our roster. TT will be looking for a replacement pick, not an incumbent starter. If either of these 3 CB's fell, I'd love the chance to take them. Plus they are all projected to go in the 5th.

Round 7: O'Brien Schofield OLB Wisconsin

I'm hoping that he's still here. Hopefully the injury concerns keep him from being drafted. Once he's off IR he'll make teams wish they'd take him earlier.

NYPacker... you know how to play to your fans. LOL any picks with Walt and O'B are fine by me!

MSA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey NYPacker I follow you on the Charles Brown pick I was very very close to putting him as our 1st round pick in my mock......when I watched him at the combine he looked like a natural pass blocker almost effortless infact I think he looked the best in several pass blocking drills

Love the Koa Misi pick but I think we only stand a chance on getting him only in the 2nd round

And wow nice vid Kyle McCarthy looks good hard to believe he is a projected UFA

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey NYPacker I follow you on the Charles Brown pick I was very very close to putting him as our 1st round pick in my mock......when I watched him at the combine he looked like a natural pass blocker almost effortless infact I think he looked the best in several pass blocking drills

Love the Koa Misi pick but I think we only stand a chance on getting him only in the 2nd round

And wow nice vid Kyle McCarthy looks good hard to believe he is a projected UFA

Yup I don't believe that Misi will fall out of the 2nd which is why i thought of it as wishful thinking. Dekota Watson on the other hand will definitely be there and he looks like a Misi clone, maybe even better. The only knock on Watson is that he has very little pash rush moves. It's certainly not an issue because that's all a technique thing and luckily for us Greene can teach him thousands of those. Check him out: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMZ6txMFR_Q]YouTube - Dekoda Watson[/ame]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I LOVE your mock. It's the best I've seen. And you even managed to include McCarthy, which though I don't think he's poised to be a great safety, his character, dedication and approach to the game makes him a great backup in the NFL.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with PackersRS, that's the best Mock Draft I've seen.

McCarthy looks like he could make an EXCELLENT back-up safety in the NFL.

Why is he projected to go undrafted?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with PackersRS, that's the best Mock Draft I've seen.

McCarthy looks like he could make an EXCELLENT back-up safety in the NFL.

Why is he projected to go undrafted?
Because he's slow, he isn't strong, and he wasn't a playmaker...

But he's steady, and is very hardworker and great character.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your late round picks. I think if we come away with McFadden, Young and McCarthy that will greatly improve the team. We obviously need to be looking at O-line at every chance possible. Safety we're ok with, though we could use depth, and CB right now is a problem with Harris being out and both Harris and Woodson being at the back ends of their career.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the supports guys. I really hope the draft ends up like this. GO PACK!

I like your late round picks. I think if we come away with McFadden, Young and McCarthy that will greatly improve the team. We obviously need to be looking at O-line at every chance possible. Safety we're ok with, though we could use depth, and CB right now is a problem with Harris being out and both Harris and Woodson being at the back ends of their career.

Even with Tauscher and Clifton signed I still think O-line is a priority. Which is why like you said, we should look at O-line every round if someone really good is still available. I would've liked to take Jason Fox instead of Young for my later round pick however I think some team might snag him up. I think that we are alright for the time being at safety but I think we need someone who can provide more than depth. I think we should be looking for a starter in the near future. The Packers only have 3 safeties on the depth chart right now which is strictly out of line with TT's M.O. He usually keeps at least 5 safeties on the roster every season before the preseason which is why I think he will come out with at least two safties once the draft and undrafted FA period ends.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You totally were thinking the same as I was. If Brown is there in the first....snatch him up and take Misi in the second round. Add the best Saftey on the board in the 3rd along with the best CB in the 4th. It wouldn't **** me off a bit. :happy0005:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just one thing. As a ND fan, I'll tell you that Calloway is MILES better than Sam Young.

Actually, we shouldn't touch him. We already have one Barbre...

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just one thing. As a ND fan, I'll tell you that Calloway is MILES better than Sam Young.

Actually, we shouldn't touch him. We already have one Barbre...

I didn't really want to take Young either which is why I believe if Calloway is still there then we should take him. However after an impressive combine there is no way that Calloway falls farther than the 3rd. Young was the BPA that filled a need for our team, if Jason Fox or Derek Hardman from Easter Kentucky are there then they will be the pick.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Harri at the end of his career?! 4 MORE YEARS! 4 MORE YEARS! 4 MORE YEARS!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts