Number One last year against the pass?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Alot of it is because these guys have communication breakdowns. They don't see to play well within the overall scheme. Individually they are ok but combined they have a tendency to be a few steps late, hesitant, or wrong about having help.

The LB's are a big problem as well. They can't cover anyone. It's not just Poppinga but Barnett struggles which is surprising because he has good speed. I also don't like the scheme for the most part. When Poppinga slid over to cover Horn I KNEW we were in big trouble.

I agree with this whole post. The Poppinga vs. Horn play was the wrong call. There have been times when the calls were wrong but for the most part these guys are just NOT GETTING to where they are supposed to be.

Guys are dropping off too early at times and the second guy is not getting where he should be or the up guys are dropping off and not picking up in time.

The LB's are having fits with the crossing routes either not staying with them long enough or picking them up in time.

Just as frustrating is watching them do it right and then not make the play. Twice Collins was right where he should have been and let the guy make a big play. Last year at the LEAST he would have been there and dropped the pick. That position cannot allow big plays like that.

The talent is on the field they just are not playing up to their capabilities. I would have put this "D" especially the pass "D" in the top 10 and this group is hurting us bad right now.

Watching experienced players in the BACK position being pumped faked and run by is unacceptable. It's one thing when the up guy takes a fake but the BACK guy getting burned like that. Come on!

An experienced player that is the last line of defense CANNOT allowed to be pump facked and run by.

It's not good right now but I expect them to start coming together and getting it right.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HatestheEagles084 said:
I think Aaron Kampman should start at safety or corner next week, and possibly left guard, tight end and fullback as well

LOL, Kampman and Driver

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
To those who believe that in 2005, the opposing teams just ran after a BIG lead, remember how many games the Packers lost by 3 to 7 points?

I DON'T remember teams RUNNING out the clock in MOST games, just a handful.

I think the Packer defense was what it was and is pretty unmotivated today... Thus the big pass plays.

Packers will get better or there will be some defensive coaches getting fired... On a sidenote, Bates left voluntarily. Didn't want to stay on as a DC here.

He kind of forced this issue when he left.

Look at the other stats from last year...Most of them Packers D was in the BOTTOM 3rd...Rushing stats, passing TD given up..

In fact Packers pass D gave up 22 tds...Chicago's only 10...We all know how bad N.O was LAST year, they only gave up 20 pass tds.

Go look at rushing atts for the season on the defense....Teams on bottom of that list ( most atts on the D) are or were the teams with the worse records...The top teams on the list,...The better teams..

For example..Denver D, 344 rushing atts on them.. Packers 504..

Here is the link

D stats from 2005

Just because the Packers kept scores close does not mean that teams werent jamming down their throat...

See Tampas game last year..

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers were only #1 against the Pack because teams got up early and ran the ball. Make no mistake we didn't have the best pass defense in the NFL last year. Stats can be very misleading and this is one of them. While it was improved it wasn't that good either. If their is a difference then it's Jim Bates.

Edit: Woodson hasn't been as bad as people are making him out to be. It's the safties that are the weak point of this team, not the corners. Woodson and Harris have been about the same in my opinion during the regular season.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to think Bates was a huge difference. Maybe was stupid of me but in the offseason I thought if anything would help us at least be respectable it would be our secondary with Collins progressing and Woodson coming in. I thought Carroll might succeed as a nickel but in the end the real secondary has revealed itself. If these guys continue to get burnt(other then Harris) they need to at least start making the big turnover play like Sharper use to do. Seems that DC have a huge impact on the attitude of the unit and right now I'll take last years team attitude over this years

Members online

Latest posts