Number One last year against the pass?

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, the Packers were ranked 1st against the pass (in yards given up). What has changed since then?

We added Hawk, Woodson, Manuel, Poppinga, and Pinkett -- all of which were supposedly the same or better than the players they replaced.

We DID change DCs. Is the step up from line coach to coordinator a little too much?

Or maybe ...... Last year's rankings were skewed slightly for a couple of reasons.

1. We were so out of the game that teams stopped throwing the ball. I can remember several 3rd quarters last year when the the defense was so tired that a high school team could have run on them.

2. Pass interference penalties (Carroll) do not count toward pass yards given up.

So -- Maybe, just maybe, there could be a positive here. If we can avoid the seemingly inevitable 2 or 3 minute period where we allow the other team to run up 10 - 14 points quickly (remember those days from the 80s), we now have a run defense and seem to keep our hands off the receivers better. If we can shore up the defensive backfield, either through personnel or schemes, we could have a little potential here. I do hope that the players themselves can avoid expecting things to go wrong as those teams in the 80s seemed to -- because they will go wrong if they expect it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its a mix of a rookie DC(Sanders) with Lionel Washington|Schotty sucking, as well as some bad players(Manuel,Carroll)

-Hopefully Sanders steps up his pass D(his run D is great).
-Hopefully Lionel Washington\Shotty forget where Lambeau field is
-Hopefully someone steps up and it puts carroll\manuel\bad players on the bench.

thats my opinion.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IT WAS ALL AHMAD CARROLL'S FAULT, HAS BEEN SINCE THEY DRAFTED HIM!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

01. We spent 52 million dollars a a so-called cover corner who can't seem to do his job 75% of the time.

02. We spent 10 million dollars on a safety who never won a starting spot anywhere, and was given the job in Green Bay.

03. We had the best motivating DC in the league, making an average defense play better then they were in 2005, but he was not the one to lead The whole Packer team so he left. Oh well 2006 is what it is!!!!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
IT WAS ALL AHMAD CARROLL'S FAULT, HAS BEEN SINCE THEY DRAFTED HIM!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

01. We spent 52 million dollars a a so-called cover corner who can't seem to do his job 75% of the time.

02. We spent 10 million dollars on a safety who never won a starting spot anywhere, and was given the job in Green Bay.

03. We had the best motivating DC in the league, making an average defense play better then they were in 2005, but he was not the one to lead The whole Packer team so he left. Oh well 2006 is what it is!!!!

Yeah, it's always Carroll. Good post Buckeye

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Proof our 1 ranking last year was a fluke and feathered.

It's not all on AC. He sure isn't helping the cause, but he isn't the main cause.

It's a team effort in this failure. The D line is doing decent on the pass rush though.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rankings mean JACK****.

Our lofty rating last year was a result of teams getting ahead early and running to control the clock. This year, MAYBE, we have been a little more stout against the run and a little less effective against the pass - but not appreciably.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo62 said:
Rankings mean JACK****.

Our lofty rating last year was a result of teams getting ahead early and running to control the clock. This year, MAYBE, we have been a little more stout against the run and a little less effective against the pass - but not appreciably.

Plus a 2 week sample does not give a very accurate picture if you are prone to believing in rankings.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i love that you qouted yourself, spardo.

that was awesome!

and i agree, its only 2 weeks, and the team has yet to define itself.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a note on Carroll,
Before he committed his one penalty and was burned, just like each and every one of our db's were(some more then once), he was all over the field making plays.
Funny how he never gets any credit, must be because he is the favorite target of some on this forum.
My question was why was he evern in there on the play he got burnt on? He had just cramped up and obvously was not at 100%.
I guess we didn't have anyone on the bench who could even try and do the job!!!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What plays did he make?

I noticed one where he was made a fool of by Bush but Carroll didn't get knock out of position and helped contain Bush.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
You obviously never have played the game or have done any type of sports!!!! Football ignorance!!!YOU GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

that has WHAT to do with my response to you? Oh, nothing.

this was a good thread, and it will be locked soon cuz of pointless posts. good job.

also, i havent DONE sports, but I have played them.

on topic...our pass D sucks! Sanders needs to step it up!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
You obviously never have played the game or have done any type of sports!!!! Football ignorance!!!YOU GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

This is a given Buckeye!

By the way Collins played twice as bad as Caroll did yesterday.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah I had to have played football to realize carrolls cramp has nothing to do with him biting on the pump fake and giving up a TD.

:BUZZER:

wrong, Pyle and Buckeye, please PM AADP to collect your prizes!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
yeah I had to have played football to realize carrolls cramp has nothing to do with him biting on the pump fake and giving up a TD.

:BUZZER:

wrong, Pyle and Buckeye, please PM AADP to collect your prizes!

It wasn't just based on that statement believe me

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoever said the main differfence is the DC nailed it!

On paper we have a better defense. They are not motivated to perform consistently. THAT is the difference.

To those who believe that in 2005, the opposing teams just ran after a BIG lead, remember how many games the Packers lost by 3 to 7 points?

I DON'T remember teams RUNNING out the clock in MOST games, just a handful.

I think the Packer defense was what it was and is pretty unmotivated today... Thus the big pass plays.

Packers will get better or there will be some defensive coaches getting fired... On a sidenote, Bates left voluntarily. Didn't want to stay on as a DC here.

He kind of forced this issue when he left.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
tromadz said:
what does a cramp have to do with biting on a pump fake?

this is his breakout year!

Manuel bit on it too (surprise surprise). That TD wasn't only on Carroll.

word.

thats why i named manuel as well, as one of the bad players. but some of our good players play bad at times too, which is...disturbing!

we need to step it up on pass D, bigtime.

Manuel needs to be replaced(Culver).

OP
OP
P

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Buckeyepackfan said:

this was a good thread, and it will be locked soon cuz of pointless posts. good job.

Thanks, Trom

So, is there a scheme that would cover up the inadequacies in the personnel that we are playing? It SEEMS that we are getting closer to the QB than we did last year (not being able to watch the game but looking at the box score). Is the problem that the current DBs are in man-to-man coverage and are ill-equipped to compete with the taller, faster receivers. Would more of a zone defense be more effective?

I can somewhat understand improvement from the line and line and linebackers since Sanders was a DE coach. Since that is what he knows, are we focusing more on the line play at the expense of the backfield -- leaving the DBs on an island?

Like I said, I am in SC and only listened to the Saints game. It is just a feeling that I am getting that we are not maintaining a balance between pressuring the QB and covering the receivers.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alot of it is because these guys have communication breakdowns. They don't see to play well within the overall scheme. Individually they are ok but combined they have a tendency to be a few steps late, hesitant, or wrong about having help.

The LB's are a big problem as well. They can't cover anyone. It's not just Poppinga but Barnett struggles which is surprising because he has good speed. I also don't like the scheme for the most part. When Poppinga slid over to cover Horn I KNEW we were in big trouble.

Members online

Latest posts