Number Crunching

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
By the numbers, it doesn't appear that we have improved that much overall from last year to this year.

So my question is, through 6 games what is the reason for our change in success this year?

My vote would probably be improved QB play paired with better red zone production.. Yours?

PG insider blog said:
Number crunching
A look at the Packers' statistics through six games shows the team is very similar to the 2006 club in some key areas. Let's count the ways:

*The Packers are averaging 341 total yards per game on offense this year, compared to 339 for the 2006 season.

*The Packers are allowing 321 yards per game on defense in 2007, compared to 324 last season.

* The Packers have a turnover differential of 0 (six fumbles and six interceptions given up; six fumbles and six interceptions forced). Last year, the Packers' turnover differential for the entire season was also 0 (15 fumbles and 18 interceptions given up; 10 fumbles and 23 interceptions forced).

* The Packers are averaging 5.0 yards per offensive play, compared to 5.4 last season. On defense, this year's team is allowing an identical average per play to last year – 5.1 yards.

The biggest difference between this year's team and last year's is the scoreboard. The Packers are averaging 23.6 points per game so far, compared to 18.8 for the 2006 season. On defense, the Packers are allowing 17.8 points per game this season, compared to 22.8 last year.

The Packers have regressed in one significant area: They are only gaining 66 yards rushing per game this season, compared to 104 yards per game last season.

The Packers' run defense, meanwhile, is slightly better than last year, giving up 100 yards per game this season compared to 114 in 2006.

In terms of overall ranking, the Packers are 13th in offense and 13th in defense in the 32-team NFL this year, based on yards gained and allowed. Last year, the Packers finished 9th in offense and 12th in defense.

In the only numbers that really matter, the Packers have a 5-1 record. They finished 8-8 last season, including a 2-4 mark after six games.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's interesting.

i can say that our schedule until today was very tough if we think that easiest game was one in minnie

That is an excellent point.

I wonder what our "numbers" would look like last year if they were against the teams we have played so far this year.

We've probably already beaten more teams that will eventually end up with winning records then we did in the last three years combined.

And that's a fact.

Reaction score
In the Redskins game they mentioned a line where Brett said (and I paraphrase) "I don't know if we are any better than what we were last year, but this year we've had the breaks go our way".

Looking at the stats, that really seems to hold true.

And I'd say the improved play of the death squad (aka Defence) and Special Teams has helped to mask the fact that our O isn't as good (statistically) as last year. They've really done their part to get us off to a 5-1 start.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The points scored vs pointed allowed is the big reason.
I do not care how many yards per game the defense allows as long as they keep the other team out of the end zone. The Defense has improved 5 points a game.
Likewise with the offense. They improved by nearly 5 points as well.
A 10 point swing is huge.
Looking at last year's losses and adding 5 to GB and deducting 5 from the opponent’s score would give GB a 10-5-1 record and put them into the playoffs.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion (not necessarily statistical facts).

* Defense giving up fewer big plays for TD's. (if any).

* Defense making big plays when it really counts(Barnett, Woodson, Bigby)

* 3rd down conversions. It seems to me were better on both sides of the ball this year. (though I have no stats to back that up.

* special teams coverage on kicks.

* Turnovers. It seemed like every turnover last year was a killer. The only exception this year has been the Bears game.

* And maybe we're luckier as well.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

* 3rd down conversions. It seems to me were better on both sides of the ball this year. (though I have no stats to back that up.

* Turnovers. It seemed like every turnover last year was a killer. The only exception this year has been the Bears game.

Excellent points. I know that the Packer defense is at or near the top in preventing third down conversions, and that's huge.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Excellent points. I know that the Packer defense is at or near the top in preventing third down conversions, and that's huge.

GB is #3 at preventing 3rd downs at 34%. Only New England and Washington are better at 31%.

matteogb4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the fact is that we are improving...if we don't lose our brain next year with a good FA acquisition and a good draft we could be a serious contender.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sometimes instead of pure facts they need to be looked upon closer. for example, i think we are running a "bend, don't break" defense. instead of going for the huge play on every down, let them get a few 1st downs, just don't let them in the end zone! and without looking at facts, i would say surely our offensive red zone production is miles ahead of last year's (if there even was a red zone production last year)

Members online

Latest posts