1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Number Crunching

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Pack93z, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    By the numbers, it doesn't appear that we have improved that much overall from last year to this year.

So my question is, through 6 games what is the reason for our change in success this year?

My vote would probably be improved QB play paired with better red zone production.. Yours?

2. matteogb4

matteogb4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    that's interesting.

i can say that our schedule until today was very tough if we think that easiest game was one in minnie

3. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    That is an excellent point.

I wonder what our "numbers" would look like last year if they were against the teams we have played so far this year.

We've probably already beaten more teams that will eventually end up with winning records then we did in the last three years combined.

And that's a fact.

4. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    In the Redskins game they mentioned a line where Brett said (and I paraphrase) "I don't know if we are any better than what we were last year, but this year we've had the breaks go our way".

Looking at the stats, that really seems to hold true.

And I'd say the improved play of the death squad (aka Defence) and Special Teams has helped to mask the fact that our O isn't as good (statistically) as last year. They've really done their part to get us off to a 5-1 start.

5. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The points scored vs pointed allowed is the big reason.
    I do not care how many yards per game the defense allows as long as they keep the other team out of the end zone. The Defense has improved 5 points a game.
    Likewise with the offense. They improved by nearly 5 points as well.
    A 10 point swing is huge.
    Looking at last year's losses and adding 5 to GB and deducting 5 from the opponent’s score would give GB a 10-5-1 record and put them into the playoffs.

6. kewlbeans

kewlbeans Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My opinion (not necessarily statistical facts).

* Defense giving up fewer big plays for TD's. (if any).

* Defense making big plays when it really counts(Barnett, Woodson, Bigby)

* 3rd down conversions. It seems to me were better on both sides of the ball this year. (though I have no stats to back that up.

* special teams coverage on kicks.

* Turnovers. It seemed like every turnover last year was a killer. The only exception this year has been the Bears game.

* And maybe we're luckier as well.

7. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent points. I know that the Packer defense is at or near the top in preventing third down conversions, and that's huge.

8. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    GB is #3 at preventing 3rd downs at 34%. Only New England and Washington are better at 31%.

9. matteogb4

matteogb4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    the fact is that we are improving...if we don't lose our brain next year with a good FA acquisition and a good draft we could be a serious contender.

10. mike_donnelly

mike_donnelly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    sometimes instead of pure facts they need to be looked upon closer. for example, i think we are running a "bend, don't break" defense. instead of going for the huge play on every down, let them get a few 1st downs, just don't let them in the end zone! and without looking at facts, i would say surely our offensive red zone production is miles ahead of last year's (if there even was a red zone production last year)